Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Licences issue
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wanderer
a couple of point to discuss about fake (and real) licences for restricted (and forbidden) items:

Do you require (and charge for) a licence for every item (every single firearm, spell, program, cyber/bioware item...), or for every type of item (combat spells, manipulation spells, automatic weapons, hacker programs, combat cyber/bioware) ? I would be inclined to use the latter.

Also, what about those standard SINner runners who may legitimately claim possession of restricted or forbidden spells or augmentations from a background in the military or security professions ? After all, it's not like you can forget those combat and manipulation spells when you end your tour of duty, nor get your 'ware removed... "My titanium bone lacing and suprathyroid gland, officer ? It's all part of the enhancement package I got during my service in the UCAS Rangers. Wish to hear how it was at Renraku Arcology ?". Using this loophole to justify a real (or fake) licence, the restricted/forbidden division does not make sense anymore, at least for cyberware and bioware: all of those questionable items should be included in the 'R' category.

After all, the mercenary with a military or intelligence past is an old staple in the action genre.

Last but not least, if combat 'ware and spells require licences, shouldn't be also combat adept powers ?
dog_xinu
It all depends....

the average person doesnt need a permit for a gun. Now I make sure that the SINned ones come up with a good excuse for the permits (like they are a security officer or consultant or something).

also something like Panther's are not licensable. There is no reason in the laws eye that you need one.

just my opinion..
dog
Cold-Dragon
Last but not least, if combat 'ware and spells require licences, shouldn't be also combat adept powers ?

Adept powers differ a little in that they aren't mini nukes in a hand - they may be able to smash you up pretty bad physically, but the law will feel safe knowing that if you do become a public threat, several deozen decently trained men with guns will knock you down a peg or six (and if not that, a lucky shot from someone trying to stay alive).

Sadly, in a way it's 'who cares about the adepts? I don't want mages reading my mind!'
FrankTrollman
Certainly in today's legal climate, martial artists do not have to register themselves as deadly weapons or otherwise.

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/document_displ...document_id=452

Now, it's reasonable to assume that your SIN wouldd have to identify you as being an Adept if you were one or there'd be hell to pay the first time you went through a magical check point. But that's just like having a license that says you're 150 cm tall when really you're 1.8m. That kind of blatant discrepency is going to make security believe that you have a false ID. And given some of the disguise-asisting Adept powers, walking around with a SIN that says you aren't one is probably enough to get them to haul you in for identity theft.

You might be able to talk your way out if you could successfully convince them that you don't know that you have Magic (much easier for an Adept than a Magician) - but your SIN is still going to walk away amended that you're an Adept no matter what you do.

It's as much a part of you as your height and finger prints.

-Frank
Shrike30
QUOTE (dog_xinu)
the average person doesnt need a permit for a gun. Now I make sure that the SINned ones come up with a good excuse for the permits (like they are a security officer or consultant or something).

In most of the USA today, all you need to do is apply for a permit to carry a handgun, and you're issued it if you can pay for it and don't fail a background check. I see 2070 as being about that mindset when it comes to citizens carrying their own weapons, since crime is such a rampant problem. The good excuse is "It's fucking dangerous out there!"
Firewall
To be fair, some cyberware can be removed, some can be replaced. Some can be deactivated. Maybe it was a street-doc who reactivated it against the law but I imagine that military cyberware will be made with a cut-out option (like some chip that can be removed or a way of scuppering the effectiveness of bone-lacing) for retired soldiers. I would rule that invasive, non-removable forbidden-grade cyberware should have a restricted status when deactivated.

Spells can be denied, contracts can be signed with harsh penalties for using certain knowledge or spells in the outside world.In the end, a spell is just knowledge. We have government contracts in the real world. In the UK it is the Official Secrets Act, the US must have an equivalent contract. You sign to say that, while you cannot forget the data, you will never use it.

As for whether you charge per item or per class, I charge per item. On the other hand, one Predator looks like another. If you have a licence for one predator, you can carry one predator and it is likely that nobody will check the serial number. If you have a licence for one and get caught with two, they might check the serial numbers and one of them had better match your licence...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012