Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Copyright
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Steak and Spirits
Is it an infringement on the Shadowrun/Wizkids copyright to play Shadowrun in anything aside from a tabletop format? I.E, if it's played over the internet, or by mail/webmail, or on a MUD/MUSH environment what are the legal ramifications? Given that I am not a lawyer, I wanted some clarification on the subject?

As I understand it, provided material is not reproduced, no revenue is gained, and the appropriate WizKids copyright information is displayed, this does not infringe on WizKid's intellectual property?

And of course, I understand this is not necessarily the correct location for an authoratative answer, but I thought this would be quickest way to get a reply to the question, as I am an avid Shadowrunner player, but am seperated geographically from my gaming group, and wanted to check on the legality, before making any assumptions on our rights as gamers.

Demerzel
I'm no authority, but my understanding is that the Shadowrun licence got split in twain. Microsoft owning the rights to any videogame shadowrun product and wizkids owning the pen and paper PRG rights. Then of course any new fluff produced by either company is then owned by that company, so Microsoft can't have technomancers or any 2070 stuff that came out of FanPro in their games, and if they put any fluff in their games then FanPro can't use that.

So my guess is a MUD or MUSH has the potential of violating two company's intellectual property simultaneously if you base it on SR4, or basically just Microsofts rights to SR didgital gaming is you base it in SR3-.

Playing pen and paper online where the computer is not storing the content in an interactive format, it is just facilitating communication, is probably okay. But that may depend on what gets said and if it's retained in a publicly accessable format.

Just my 0.02 nuyen.gif
eidolon
Step 1: Google Shadowrun
Step 2: Realize that the fifty million fan-sites and the like haven't been sued, shut down, firebombed...
Step 3: Place appropriate disclaimer on your work.
Step 4: Don't sell stuff with SR IP on/in it.
Step 5: Feel good about being part of the larger SR community.

You can always ask them directly about your specific project idea. There's contact info on the shadowrunrpg.com website, and they're all cool people (most of them are members here).
Firewall
What is the policy for Shadowrun fan web pages?
FanPro and WizKids encourage the creation and proliferation of non-commercial fan-based Shadowrun websites. If you currently have or wish to create your own unofficial, non-commercial fan website, we ask that you follow these guidelines:

1. Legal Text - Please use the following text at the bottom of your home page and on any other web page that includes Shadowrun material, also if the creator of any artwork is positively known, please insert credit(s) to the artist(s):

WizKids, Inc. has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. WizKids, Inc. has granted permission to < fill in the name of your site > to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with < fill in the name of your site > in any official capacity whatsoever.

2. Logo - Permission is granted to use the Shadowrun logo (below) on non-commercial fan web pages. The logo must be accompanied by the legal text above. Please do not alter or modify the logos in any way without WizKids prior written consent.

LINK TO LOGO

Please make sure all WizKids, Inc. logos have the ® symbol or the ™ symbol!
  3. Copyright - It is not permissible to post published copyrighted Shadowrun material, writing or artwork, in whole or in part, on your web pages, without the prior written consent of WizKids, Inc.
  4. Commercial use - It is not permissible to sell any product or service that utilizes any aspect of the Shadowrun universe including but not limited to, characters, logo, artwork, marks, and/or any proprietary material, without the prior written consent of WizKids, Inc.

Who should I direct my Shadowrun licensing questions to?
The person to contact at WizKids in regards to Shadowrun licensing is Mike Mulvihill (the old Shadowrun line developer at FASA). He can be reached at: mikem@wizkidsgames.com.
Steak and Spirits
Awesome. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012