Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Melee attacks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mahali
When Parrying with a weapon held in your off hand do you take -2 penalty?

If you're holding a two-handed weapon in your off-hand can you parry? If so, do you take a penalty? Would Ambidexterity off-set that penalty?
Cold-Dragon
Parry, for all it's a particular style of defense, is still considered a series of motions during that moment. Having one or two weapons wouldn't matter - it's implied that you moved either weapon or yourself in the act of defending.

Now, I suppose in theory if one weapon were a focus or attuned and the other was not, you could take the benefit at that point, but it would be an exception to things.

Thus far there is no real visible benefit to wielding two weapons except for the mystery of whether or not you can do two attacks with one complex action similar to using two guns in a simple action or whatnot. It doesn't mean you couldn't wield two as a style of combat, however.

Or someone will bring up their variant of two weapon fighting or whatnot and you can borrow that.

Ambidextery will remove the obvious penalties, and since there is no penalty for wielding two weapons (as far as defense is concerned), there is no penalty if you do it without ambidexterity either.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Mahali)
When Parrying with a weapon held in your off hand do you take -2 penalty?

If you're holding a two-handed weapon in your off-hand can you parry? If so, do you take a penalty? Would Ambidexterity off-set that penalty?

There are no rules in SR4.core that make any metion to using 2 melee weapons. Any comments are speculation at best until we get some solid gaming answers from The-Powers-That-Be.
Bryce963
I've suggested before that, if you have ambidexterity, and are using two melee weapons that the main weapons reach increases by +1, this gives a bonus, that isnt amazing, so as to be used always instead of normal attacks, and is limited by having to take ambidexterity, which would make it only really used for fighting characters that may want to do double guns. Now making limits such as it wouldnt work with, combat axes, monowhips and polearms, and other 2 handed weapons or ones that it would be totaly illogical to use another weapon with. It dosnt add to anything, just makes the chance that you will outreach your opponent and get a bonus more likely
Metalsmith
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

There are no rules in SR4.core that make any metion to using 2 melee weapons. Any comments are speculation at best until we get some solid gaming answers from The-Powers-That-Be.

I think he's asking about just 1 melee weapon.

Holding a pistol in the Primary Hand and using it on his init pass with a Sword held in his Off Hand and using it to Parry with if someone attempts to engage him in HtH combat.

Same with the 2 Handed Weapon (Combat Axe) in his off hand.
Example: He finishes off a guy in HtH combat and not wanting to engage another HtH he holds his 2Handed Weapon in his Off Hand and Quickdraws a pistol with his primary hand and shoots. Then he's engaged in HtH again by a 3rd Party.

I think in all cases he would suffer the -2 penalty unless he has Ambidex.
In the 2 handed weapon case they would also suffer the standard penalty, if it exists, for using a 2handed weapon with only one hand.

--------------METALSMTIH--------^^^^
Mahali
QUOTE (Metalsmith)
I think he's asking about just 1 melee weapon.

Holding a pistol in the Primary Hand and using it on his init pass with a Sword held in his Off Hand and using it to Parry with if someone attempts to engage him in HtH combat.

Exactly the intent my question.
There aren't any rules for using a 2-handed weapon one-handed. Should there be a penalty for parry? I'm sure there should be for damage and maybe even attacking but that's not what I care about.
The following apply to Parry only:
Gun in primary hand and a melee weapon in secondary.
1. Is there penalty?
1.a. If you have Ambidexterity?

Melee weapon is 2-handed.
2. Is there a penalty?
2.a. If you have Ambidexterity?

3. Does using your primary hand (shooting the gun) change anything?
WhiskeyMac
1. Gun primary and melee weapon secondary would get no penalty but -2 dice for off-hand weapon use. This is if the weapon is a normal 1-handed weapon like a knife, sword (as defined in the rules) or baton.
1a. Same as above but without the -2 dice for off-hand weapon use if you have Ambidexterity.

2. Same as above just add -1 dice for unwieldy two-handed weapon if you don't have STR 4+. Makes sense that the stronger a person is the more likely they could hold a two-handed weapon straight up and down single handedly.
2a. Just don't get the -2 dice for off-hand weapon use.

3. Using the gun wouldn't change anything, as far as I know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012