Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does DS still need two Shadowrun forums?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Dumpshock News, Bug Reports, Feature Requests, & Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
I know. I'm subdividing that premise and disagreeing with one part of it. I disagree with your whole premise, but that's not because I disagree with every component of it.

~J
Fortune
Fair enough. I'll await your response. smile.gif
Domino
Christ look what the cat dragged in.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Domino @ Oct 5 2006, 08:22 PM)
Christ look what the cat dragged in.

Now if we can only teach the cat to drag it back out. Unless he finds that Stock certificate he won from FASA and lets me see it. Damn cock tease.
Fortune
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Unless he finds that Stock certificate he won from FASA and lets me see it.

I've searched everything, and asked everyone I used to know in Canada about that share certificate for the AF, but it just disappeared. frown.gif

I blame American shadowrunners! nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
Frag-o Delux
I know, you told me a year or so ago. Im just not mushy like that punk Domino, so that was my hello to you. smile.gif And Ill continue to deny running on you till I die. smile.gif
Domino
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
I know, you told me a year or so ago. Im just not mushy like that punk Domino, so that was my hello to you. smile.gif And Ill continue to deny running on you till I die. smile.gif

Bite me Percival.
Adam
Admin post: further off-topic posts in this thread will result in week-long bans.
Fortune
Not me ... I just got back, and I plan to be around on a permanent basis once again! wink.gif biggrin.gif

As to the topic at hand, I just think it is a pain in the ass to have to search through both forums for basically the same types of questions. If there has to be a separation, then categories should include a general Sixth World forum, and either one Shadowrun Rules forum with those little taggy things you mentioned, or a SR4 Rules forum, and another for rules from previous editions.

If these were clearly marked, and even maybe separated on the main page even by an inch or so, this would dramatically cut down on the cross-chatter. The little that remains (because it will inevitably occur to some extent no matter what solution you decide upon) should not be a large problem to deal with. I am sure there are even forumites who, if given even very limited admin powers, would perform the clean up for you in their day-to-day browsing.
Domino
And speaking of searching if we had a poll only forum then there would be less to search through.
nezumi
QUOTE (Domino)
And speaking of searching if we had a poll only forum then there would be less to search through.

We could call it the emo forum.

Truthfully though, I'd disagree. Most of the polls are relevant to the forum they're in. Plus, with Adam's idea, it'll be trivial to simply ignore all threads with the poll tag.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 20 2006, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 20 2006, 09:23 AM)
Besides perpetuating the SR3 vs SR4 stuff

That's not going to end.

You base that on what? The roaring SR2 - SR3 debate that still rages on daily? ohplease.gif
I'm not sure what it's been like in the SR4 forums, but I've certainly noticed a definite cool-down since they were unambiguously split.

I haven't bothered to try track exact numbers, but the SR4 forum certainly appears busier over the week than the SR forum. I suspect that's where a good deal of the traffic went, people that can't be bothered to operate on both.

There is a thread a created where I asked about sources for Asian names. I had a hard time picking which forum to create it in, because there certainly appears to be a number of posters that don't even read the other forum. But, especially as the thread drifted a bit, I realized there were a number of people from the SR4 forum that would have benefited from reading it. Of course then I would have missed input form people that only bother with the SR forum, and they would have missed benefit.

But despite those later drawbacks I've come to the conclusion, especially given the lower traffic in the SR forum, that the SR4 forum seems to be the logical place to put general. Hell I even see people that have little or no current interest in using SR4 rules are posting in the forum. *shrug*

On a merged forum, for the occational SR3 rules question, that is pretty easy to qualify in the thread there. Surveying the SR forum such threads they seem fairly uncommon, and you actually already see SR4 rules and post Crash 2 setting information being brought up on the SR forums anyway. The world information has always been timeline dependant (both real world publishing, and game world events) so I really don't see the need for tagging on that.

I know there are also technical reasons (disk/DB space) for keeping the number of forums to a minimum. Plus the logistics of sorting the posts and moving them as needed.

Of course that would tend to signal a passing of the torch in the "norm" between editions. But inspite of your desire to acknowledge this happening, it is happening...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie)
You base that on what? The roaring SR2 - SR3 debate that still rages on daily? ohplease.gif

Yes, that. Despite the fact that SR2-SR3 is a much, much, much smaller change, we still see posts at a frequency that, while certainly not common, I wouldn't classify as rare from people who either regret changing to SR3 or who simply never switched in the first place.

I haven't bothered to try track exact numbers, but the SR4 forum certainly appears busier over the week than the SR forum. I suspect that's where a good deal of the traffic went, people that can't be bothered to operate on both.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by "cooldown". I don't mean traffic-wise, I mean flamewar-wise.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Nov 13 2006, 12:04 PM)

I think you misunderstand what I mean by "cooldown". I don't mean traffic-wise, I mean flamewar-wise.

You are right, I didn't understand that you meant that.......because that makes no sense. The separate SR4 forum has been there ever since Fanpro publicly announced their plan to release SR4, nearly 5 months before it came out at GenCon.

Of course the more vocal detractors, in the face of kickass sales and people having fun with SR4, and mostly cooled their jets. But that has little to do with a split forum, especially considering that mfb and JamesSL/CD2.0 still 'post' on the SR4 forum.
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 13 2006, 01:00 PM)
You base that on what? The roaring SR2 - SR3 debate that still rages on daily?  ohplease.gif

Yes, that. Despite the fact that SR2-SR3 is a much, much, much smaller change, we still see posts at a frequency that, while certainly not common, I wouldn't classify as rare from people who either regret changing to SR3 or who simply never switched in the first place.

And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

I never said it was rare, but the move is on and most of the difference is just between 1 year and several. See you in seven and we'll talk.
Kagetenshi
<EDITED>

I'm out. If someone else wants to debate this question, let me know.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Anyone who seriously quotes political protest songs to support their argument about a gaming forum is not worth talking to.

Anyone that thinks that it's actual support for an argument is...well you. It isn't even a point that is in debate, except perhaps to someone in denial of reality.
I'll clarify things if anyone else wants me to, but my conversation with you is over.

rotfl.gif Buh-bye!
BishopMcQ
Weighing in my vote, I would prefer one forum with tags about Rules vs World Content. If the tags would be too difficult, I'd vote for a seperation of forums based on those guidelines rather than edition.
Paul
QUOTE (Adam)
Personally, I'd like to see more of that info make optionally invisible, but it does have some uses, yes.

I think that is so dishonest. What and why do you need to hide it? It makes me ask that sort of question.

I think having a separate Shadowrun forum is no longer necessary because both the SR4 forum and the Shadowrun forum are so clogged with garbage you might as well keep it all in one place. Instead of clicking mark forum read six times, I can now do it five times.
Tanka
If it's so filled with garbage, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why you continue to return.

Oh, right, to preach at us about the error of our ways.

notworthy.gif ohplease.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Paul)
QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 24 2006, 07:45 PM)
Personally, I'd like to see more of that info make optionally invisible, but it does have some uses, yes.

I think that is so dishonest. What and why do you need to hide it? It makes me ask that sort of question.

I don't think it's dishonest -- during the general course of reading the forums, I don't care when someone joined, and I don't care where they are located in the world, I don't care what little funny image they want to have next to their name, etc. I am not proposing that this stuff be removed, but, as I've already said, I've loved to see a more streamlined forum display, and the attributes I've listed do not necessarily need to be displayed next to every single post. All of this material -- and probably more -- would still be available if someone clicked on your name to view your profile.
fistandantilus4.0
Besides, I think optional is a good key word there. I personally like it, Adam doesn't, and I'm sure plenty of other people have differing opinions. I'm a fan of options.
Kagetenshi
Options can be a nightmare. We still have a large number of people who refer to thread pagecounts, for example, which is totally useless information because the number of posts per page is customizable.

Not that I'd want to give that customization up, but customizability isn't free.

~J
Sicarius
I'm for keeping them seperate, as it is there's already tons of confusion about what edition someone is talking about unless they specify In post, which many forget to do .
Adam
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Options can be a nightmare. We still have a large number of people who refer to thread pagecounts, for example, which is totally useless information because the number of posts per page is customizable.

Funny, I was kvetching about the page count issue to the other admins earlier in the day. Do you have a bright idea for a solution? Obviously, making it easier to link to an individual post would help, I think. Any other ideas? [Aside from doing away with multiple post-counts-per-page, which wouldn't bother me, as long as it was set to 50 or 100, but I suspect not everyone would like that. wink.gif]
Tanka
Individual post links can be done in both IPB and vBulletin. It may take an upgrade for it to work in IPB, but I know it's standard fare and not a mod.
Kagetenshi
Honestly, I'm not sure there is a solution—barring users becoming aware of it themselves, the only solutions I can think of are impossible (whenever someone tries referencing page count, a hand reaches out of their monitor and hits them with a rolled-up newspaper) or bad (a big red notice on every posting page saying not to reference page count).

As weird as it is to call it that, I think the pagecount issue is a social problem, and thus isn't going to be feasibly fixable via a technical solution. Well, barring forcing everyone to the same posts/page. Still, while I probably wouldn't complain if it was 100 (50 just isn't enough, IMO), that doesn't mean it would be a good solution.

~J
Adam
That's more or less what I think, too. I was hoping you would have a stroke of genius. LMK if you get the newspaper code to work, though!
Kagetenshi
If I have one (newspaper-related or otherwise), I will definitely let you know.

~J
krayola red
Why not slap a chronological post number on every reply to a thread? It'll give everyone a universal standard of reference regardless of choice of layout.
Kagetenshi
People can already estimate it pretty easily. I don't think it'd help, and would just be another number to float around taking up real estate.

~J
krayola red
Meh, personally I'm too lazy to do even the simple multiplication and/or addition required to make that estimate, and I can't be the only one. As for space issues, a good place to stick it on might be that little gray bar on top of a post with the date and time stamp.

Actually, I would love to have such a feature for a reason other than verbal reference: quoting. I can't even count the number of times where I've seen someone quote something from someone else and ended up spending ages trying to hunt down the quoted post. If post-tracking is implemented and linked to the quoting feature, that would definitely alleviate a major source of headaches for me.
Grinder
QUOTE (krayola red)
Why not slap a chronological post number on every reply to a thread? It'll give everyone a universal standard of reference regardless of choice of layout.

Second that. I don't think that it's hard slap into into the date in the header of a post and it would make refering easier.
BishopMcQ
Such a number already exists in the system. Grinder's post above this one for example is topic 14727, entry 475478. You can see the whenever you do searches by Post rather than by thread or clicking on the threads from the main page.

Implementing that into the bar since it already exists, should be a simple reference to topic/entry...though I don't have much practical experience in programming forums, so i don't know how hard it would be.
Tanka
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Such a number already exists in the system. Grinder's post above this one for example is topic 14727, entry 475478. You can see the whenever you do searches by Post rather than by thread or clicking on the threads from the main page.

Implementing that into the bar since it already exists, should be a simple reference to topic/entry...though I don't have much practical experience in programming forums, so i don't know how hard it would be.

As I said upthread, it's an option in IPB. It's working in the forum I co-administrate, in fact. No extra code, it just works.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Tanka)
As I said upthread, it's an option in IPB. It's working in the forum I co-administrate, in fact. No extra code, it just works.

What version of IPB do you have over there? If it's newer than v1.2, it may be a recently added feature.
Tanka
v1.3, so quite possibly.

Perhaps uploading a test 1.3 version with this skin to see if anything breaks might be in order? Hell, even upgrading period, as it'd fix some bugs and quite possibly any exploits IPB may have out there.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (eidolon)
I'm for a split. 95% of what gets discussed in SR4 is completely worthless to me, and as was mentioned, I don't want to have to spend a bunch of time trying to figure out what edition somebody is talking about when they don't think to make it clear.

The fish-colored man has caught t3h corr3ct.
tisoz
The only problem I see is setting/universe threads posted to the 4th edition forum. Many people avoid the 4th forum so threads posted there about setting/universe get overlooked by many. There is not too much 4th edition material about the setting/universe, especially compared to all the previously printed material.

I dislike the idea of merging the forums more than I dislike the idea of creating another forum. So I would combine previous editions with setting/universe threads. Most of the people resisting 4th edition are there and they are also the ones who are more likely to know more background information.

I suggest a 4th Edition forum and a Previous Editions & Setting/Universe forum.
James McMurray
I haven't read the whole thread, so this idea is probably outdated by discussion of tags or whatnot, but my vote was to keep them seperate but change how it's rganized. I think SR4 should become the general forum, since it's the most current version of the game. General questions about setting would then fit better in there, leaving the SR3 forum for SR3 only questions (primarily rules related, since almost anything else would be "general").
Sphynx
I want nothing at all to do with 4th edition anymore. I voted a complete seperation. I'd actually prefer to see the Shadowrun forum be changed to Shadowrun 3rd (or SR3) since it's not clear that the 2 forums are seperated really.
James McMurray
Doing that would probably result in a lot of duplicatedt hreads, because non-rules discussions fit both categories.
nezumi
QUOTE (tisoz)
The only problem I see is setting/universe threads posted to the 4th edition forum. Many people avoid the 4th forum so threads posted there about setting/universe get overlooked by many. Setting/Universe[/i] forum.

This is in part because many of those posters are stupid, and I feel no pity that they don't get their questions answered because they can't put them in the appropriate forum. It's like people who can't put appropriate thread titles.

For people thinking about making an SR3 forum, keep in mind that our current Shadowrun forum does not address only SR3, but also SR2 and SR1, both of which still have players in this forum.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (James McMurray)
non-rules discussions fit both categories.

I whole-heartedly disagree, but we've had this discussion before.

~J
James McMurray
QUOTE (nezumi)
This is in part because many of those posters are stupid, and I feel no pity that they don't get their questions answered because they can't put them in the appropriate forum.

The thing is though, if you're a new player to SR4, the logical place for you to place any setting questions is the SR4 boards. Heck, if you're a convert from nWoD you may even think that the two games have vastly different settings.

I'm not sure why, other than that it makes you feel superior, you would call those people stupid. I think that not realizing why some very obvious actions are taken is the stupid thing. I know it's odd to think that SR4 players might post questions in an SR4 forum. ohplease.gif

I whole-heartedly disagree, but we've had this discussion before.

What? Are you saying that SR3 and SR4 don't have the same setting and history (up until the point where SR3 rolls over and dies so SR4 can step up of course)?

Perhaps you think that someone wanting to know about horrors / organized crime / immortal elves / dragons / whatever must specify which ruleset they want before they can ask about fluff?
Kagetenshi
I'm saying that yes, they don't have the same setting. The history is only the same up until 2064-5, at which point a significant amount of things happen to render meaningful portions of the prior history irrelevant.

~J
James McMurray
Render prior history irrelevant? I don't recall anything in the SR4 book saying, "and oh yeah, such and such didn't happen." Do you mean "change things so that it's the present instead of the past"? If so then of course that happens.

So let's say I'm a new player to SR and have a question about Immortal Elves. Where would you propose I ask it? It seems pretty obvious that an SR4 player should go to the SR4 forum. But that's the wrong answer, because of how the place is currently set up.
nezumi
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (nezumi)
This is in part because many of those posters are stupid, and I feel no pity that they don't get their questions answered because they can't put them in the appropriate forum.

The thing is though, if you're a new player to SR4, the logical place for you to place any setting questions is the SR4 boards. Heck, if you're a convert from nWoD you may even think that the two games have vastly different settings.

I'm not sure why, other than that it makes you feel superior, you would call those people stupid. I think that not realizing why some very obvious actions are taken is the stupid thing. I know it's odd to think that SR4 players might post questions in an SR4 forum. ohplease.gif

If you are truly absolutely new to SR4 it's one thing. You're (the poster) is wrong, but it's understandable. But I've seen posters here who have been here for six months and have some understanding of the differences between the two forums who still post exclusively in SR4. It's like people who write "cannon" instead of "canon", even though people tell them how it's spelled and everyone around them uses it correctly. You come to the point where it's simply the poster's fault for not educating himself as to how things are done.

I do feel, however, that the forums should be named better. As you pointed out, a brand new person could come in and think that questions about IEs fit best in the SR4 forum because he's playing SR4, without realizing that SR4 (and the forum like it) is a subset of all of the Shadowrun universe. As such, he'd probably not get a lot of answers.
Sphynx
I think the problem, and the reason for no change, is that we'd have to archive everything here, creating another jives, and start over from scratch.
Fortune
QUOTE (Sphynx)
I think the problem, and the reason for no change, is that we'd have to archive everything here, creating another jives, and start over from scratch.

I don't see why. The Powers-That-Be don't seem to have had a problem rearranging and renaming Forums within the current structure up till now.
Sphynx
Because alot of the threads under the forums would belong elsewhere. Either admining the whole forum to move threads (nobody's getting paid so I don't see that kinda work happening), or archiving and starting over. Ie: if you create a 'theme/background' and a 'rules' with subcategories for the edition differences, there wouldn't be a place to just move the current Shadowrun forums under.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012