Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barely even a fight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Critias
QUOTE (DarkCrisis)
The team was in the Redman Barrens heading to a contact for some info... Really it wasn't going well.

Sounds like the Shaman handled it pretty damned well, then, given a bit more info. Like I said, man, "did it work?" is the only real question worth asking, most of the time.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Glyph)
The shaman was using poor tactics. Ghouls are dual-natured. All that he had to do was astrally percieve, and cast a stunball on the astral plane. He would have still wiped out the ghouls, but his mundane teammates wouldn't have been affected at all.

How'd this one go by unnoticed?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Shrike30)
QUOTE (Glyph @ Sep 26 2006, 08:17 PM)
The shaman was using poor tactics.  Ghouls are dual-natured.  All that he had to do was astrally percieve, and cast a stunball on the astral plane.  He would have still wiped out the ghouls, but his mundane teammates wouldn't have been affected at all.

Astrally Perceiving is a Complex Action. It's like the suggestion to delay until next turn while your friends run out of the potential area of effect.

Sure, it'll work, but it involves letting the enemy ghouls chew on your friends for an extra round. That's not a fair trade if your friends are taking physical damage already.

-Frank
PBTHHHHT
Yeah, if the ghouls are already on ya trying to chew your face off. I'd rather the mage hurry up and cast that spell and be knocked out by it rather than spending another turn yelling, 'Oh gawd, oh gawd, get it off!' Hoping that it won't eat my liver or turn me into a ghoul.
krayola red
I thought switching to astral perception is a simple action. Although mechanically speaking it doesn't really matter since spellcasting takes a complex.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Yeah, if the ghouls are already on ya trying to chew your face off. I'd rather the mage hurry up and cast that spell and be knocked out by it rather than spending another turn yelling, 'Oh gawd, oh gawd, get it off!' Hoping that it won't eat my liver or turn me into a ghoul.

Ghouls don't eat living people. We make them sick. They claw us to death and wait a few weeks for our corpses to rippen so they can eat our rotting flesh.

I'm just being nitpicky here but it is good to strive for accuracy. Wendigos and Master Shedim are the ones that eat living flesh.
Butterblume
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
They claw us to death and wait a few weeks for our corpses to rippen so they can eat our rotting flesh.

That makes sense. Well-hung venison is much tastier, too wink.gif.
PaulK
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
We used to have this problem with a mage, but it wasn't stunballs he hit us with "on accident". It was fireballs. He died. We killed him. We never trusted another mage that knew fireball.

That sounds exactly like a guy in my old SR group prior to me joining. His fetish was to FB everything, regardless of the fact that he was in the back of the group and everyone was carrying explosive ammo and grenades.

He critically nailed the merc who ended up burning all of his personal karma as well as ALL of the team karma just to survive. Not a happy troll after that one. When I joined the group with my combat mage, I was asked if I knew the fireball spell. Makes me wonder...

/PaulK
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Sep 27 2006, 03:23 PM)
Yeah, if the Shedim/Wendigo/Hellhound are already on ya trying to chew your face off.  I'd rather the mage hurry up and cast that spell and be knocked out by it rather than spending another turn yelling, 'Oh gawd, oh gawd, get it off!'  Hoping that it won't eat my liver or turn me into a Insert here.

Ghouls don't eat living people. We make them sick. They claw us to death and wait a few weeks for our corpses to rippen so they can eat our rotting flesh.

I'm just being nitpicky here but it is good to strive for accuracy. Wendigos and Master Shedim are the ones that eat living flesh.

Fine, changed. wink.gif

But then again what do characters in the SR world actually think? Ghouls, yeah, they attack and eat people! Who wants to give 'em rights?! 'nuff said.

Though I guess it could be worse, like the trog pirates in Hong Kong from Runners Haven... do they kill you, skin you alive, and hump you, and hopefully in that order? (firefly reference here) nyahnyah.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Shrike30)
The shaman was using poor tactics.  Ghouls are dual-natured.  All that he had to do was astrally percieve, and cast a stunball on the astral plane.  He would have still wiped out the ghouls, but his mundane teammates wouldn't have been affected at all.

It wasn't, at least by myself. It is just largely irrelavent.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (PaulK)
I was asked if I knew the fireball spell. Makes me wonder...

/PaulK

We did the same thing. From then on, we'd have an "interview" with any new mage in the group. One guy even studied up to learn what the hermetic version on Fireball looked like, so he could go through the mages spell library to prove it. Needless to say, we didn't work with a lot of mages after tha. Mostly they'd storm off all pissed off. Probably wasn't the best way to great new characters out-of-game, but in-game, it made a lot of sense.
krayola red
Er, how so? Just because one guy with the Fireball spell turned out to be a crazy bastard doesn't mean every guy with a Fireball spell is a crazy bastard.
fistandantilus4.0
very true. We ended up being the crazy bastards.
blakkie
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (PaulK @ Sep 27 2006, 04:18 PM)
I was asked if I knew the fireball spell.  Makes me wonder...

/PaulK

We did the same thing. From then on, we'd have an "interview" with any new mage in the group. One guy even studied up to learn what the hermetic version on Fireball looked like, so he could go through the mages spell library to prove it. Needless to say, we didn't work with a lot of mages after tha. Mostly they'd storm off all pissed off. Probably wasn't the best way to great new characters out-of-game, but in-game, it made a lot of sense.

Ah yes, this reminds me of the "good ol' days" in AD&D 2e and prior where Fireball was a volume that expanded to conform with the shape of the space available. So set off in a 10x10x10 room with an open door that sucker would blast down the hallway burning all in it's path. After a number of self-inflicted party flamings we got to the point where basically gave the player of a Wizard/Bard a trig test before they were allow to memorize Fireball. smile.gif
James McMurray
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Yeah, because when I'm being attacked by flesh eaters the thing uppermost on my mind is always "will he eat me while he's killing me, or after." ohplease.gif
FrankTrollman
It depends upon whether you happen to have a dead body with you. Ghouls want it, Wendigos don't. And Master Shedim want the dead body an they want to eat you anyway.

What that means is that you can probably throw the Ghouls a corpse and move on your way, while throwing a corpse at a Wendigo is a waste of your time. And while throwing a corpse at a Master Shedim will make it happy, it is also a waste of time because it'll try to eat you anyway.

You gotta think in the big picture. Ghouls are people with goals that don't always involve your death. In fact, with a more equitable corpse distribution system they wouldn't want you dead in any immediate fashion. The number of deaths is one per person, ghouls really have nothing to gain from ending your life now except surety of food supply. If they are well stocked with supplies they don't give a fuck about you.

Wendigo though... they want you to go into their belly and they'd prefer it if you ate pieces of your friends first. There's essentially no possible compromise there.

-Frank
Mistwalker
What? eek.gif

You mean that that doesn't cross your mind?
shakes his head
barbarian
laughingowl
QUOTE (DarkCrisis)
The team was in the Redman Barrens heading to a contact for some info.

They get jumped by ghouls walking down the street.

They were out numbered about 2 to 1. The Shaman is not geared toward combat. He relies on his elemental for damage.

The have one Street Sam who while dishing out damage was also recieving it.

Really it wasn't going well.

The Technomancer dropped from wounds and at that point the Shaman used th eonly offensive spell he knows. He dropped it on everyone and the battle was over.

As for the ghouls, they were originally hiding in an ally. They saw a car go buy and threw a molotov cocktail on it. The car bursts into flames and the driver gets out and tries to flee. The ghouls then leapt out of hiding, tackled him and started having lunch.

This is all about 1 street down fromt he corner the team is standing on. The ghouls see more meat and decide it's thier lucky day and charge at the team.

Honestly, I thought the ghouls would get wiped pretty quickly, but as it turned out the party wasn't doing to well in the combat BUT the Shaman saved the day, though I think it was a tad to powerful. So yea, Geek the Mage first.

Then it that case, it certainly goes into the realm of the shaman is hero.

If some had dropped already (not an intial panic/first strike) from shaman... and they were outnumbered, then arty on my posistion is not unreasonable at all.

Looks like I would be saving the shaman a few cold beers (and perhaps pitching inthe money (since cant pay the karma) for a good coutnerspelling foci).
Squinky
Good lord. I just wish right now I could join Blackie and SL Jame's Games and make a sammy that fires suppressive fire into every conflict. Then we will see how smugly they will look at me.

In my games, I prefer at least a semblance of roleplaying, you guys are welcome to play your way, but don't condemn me please.
blakkie
QUOTE (Squinky @ Sep 27 2006, 07:25 PM)
Good lord. I just wish right now I could join Blackie and SL Jame's Games and make a sammy that fires suppressive fire into every conflict. Then we will see how smugly they will look at me.

True, my smugness would somewhat displaced by laughing my ass off AT you. rotfl.gif

Poor tactics are their own reward.
In my games, I prefer at least a semblance of roleplaying, you guys are welcome to play your way, but don't condemn me please.

You keep using this word "roleplaying", but i do not think it means what you think it means . ohplease.gif
Squinky
Edited because it was offtopic and I am not in the best mood tonight.
Glyph
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Sep 27 2006, 02:18 PM)

Astrally Perceiving is a Complex Action. It's like the suggestion to delay until next turn while your friends run out of the potential area of effect.

Sure, it'll work, but it involves letting the enemy ghouls chew on your friends for an extra round. That's not a fair trade if your friends are taking physical damage already.

-Frank

The shaman should have had plenty of time to do a simple action and shift perception when they first met the ghouls. I could see a few situations where you wouldn't have the time to do this, but most of the time it shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, if it was a newbie player, he might not even have known that ghouls are dual-natured.
laughingowl
QUOTE (DarkCrisis)
The team is heading off for a run when they encounter a group of ghouls. The ghouls run up and attack.

The Shaman lends his Counterspelling to the group and then Stunball Area Effects everyone (party and ghouls).

The team was in the Redman Barrens heading to a contact for some info.

They get jumped by ghouls walking down the street.

They were out numbered about 2 to 1. The Shaman is not geared toward combat. He relies on his elemental for damage.

The have one Street Sam who while dishing out damage was also recieving it.

Really it wasn't going well.

The Technomancer dropped from wounds and at that point the Shaman used th eonly offensive spell he knows. He dropped it on everyone and the battle was over.

As for the ghouls, they were originally hiding in an ally. They saw a car go buy and threw a molotov cocktail on it. The car bursts into flames and the driver gets out and tries to flee. The ghouls then leapt out of hiding, tackled him and started having lunch.

This is all about 1 street down fromt he corner the team is standing on. The ghouls see more meat and decide it's thier lucky day and charge at the team.

Honestly, I thought the ghouls would get wiped pretty quickly, but as it turned out the party wasn't doing to well in the combat BUT the Shaman saved the day, though I think it was a tad to powerful. So yea, Geek the Mage first.

As I said all depends on the situation.

First one... sounds like a major over-react....

Second one...... Every nuyen I had would be buying the shaman beer (and a coutnerspelling foci smile.gif

Though have to say, the subject 'barely a fight' doesn't really apply to the situation if the party was half chewed already.

The subject fits better with the first description.... "ending a nasty fight, with a snap of the fingers' would be a better subject for the second one....

hyzmarca
QUOTE (James McMurray)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Yeah, because when I'm being attacked by flesh eaters the thing uppermost on my mind is always "will he eat me while he's killing me, or after." ohplease.gif

[...]they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order.
WhiskeyMac
After having seen the complete picture, I would probably congratulate the Shaman for his "good tactic" but I would warn him not to do that again if at all possible. I might have been a little harsh earlier, sleep deprivation does that to me. I still think it's a bad idea to magi-nuke your comrades but if there is no other choice then I guess it's alright. Case by case though, definitely not a good backup plan.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
After having seen the complete picture, I would probably congratulate the Shaman for his "good tactic" but I would warn him not to do that again if at all possible. I might have been a little harsh earlier, sleep deprivation does that to me. I still think it's a bad idea to magi-nuke your comrades but if there is no other choice then I guess it's alright. Case by case though, definitely not a good backup plan.

I would suggest that he learn a new version of the spell with the limited-target "enemies". Call it don'tfragyourfrendsball.
Jaid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I would suggest that he learn a new version of the spell with the limited-target "enemies". Call it don'tfragyourfrendsball.

that may well be the most shameless abuse of the spell design rules i've ever seen.

and the saddest part is, i can't see why it wouldn't work... magic can detect enemies just as well as it can detect orks.

this is a definite houserule right off the bat. at the very least, it becomes a drain *increase* rather than a drain decrease. more likely, it would just be banned.

however, on another note... anchoring foci. detect enemies + damaging spell.

since the anchor can only detect things that are your enemies, it seems to me that the anchor should only be able to target enemies. given this costs a crapload of karma to be any use (specifically, you'll probably need at least a force 6 anchor focus if it's gonna be even slightly useful), i'd definitely allow it (2 metamagic techniques just to get there as well).

could be a very useful backup to have a "spell grenade"
laughingowl
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 28 2006, 03:28 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 27 2006, 10:11 PM)
I would suggest that he learn a new version of the spell with the limited-target "enemies".  Call it don'tfragyourfrendsball.

that may well be the most shameless abuse of the spell design rules i've ever seen.

and the saddest part is, i can't see why it wouldn't work... magic can detect enemies just as well as it can detect orks.

this is a definite house rule right off the bat. at the very least, it becomes a drain *increase* rather than a drain decrease. more likely, it would just be banned.

however, on another note... anchoring foci. detect enemies + damaging spell.

since the anchor can only detect things that are your enemies, it seems to me that the anchor should only be able to target enemies. given this costs a crapload of karma to be any use (specifically, you'll probably need at least a force 6 anchor focus if it's gonna be even slightly useful), i'd definitely allow it (2 metamagic techniques just to get there as well).

could be a very useful backup to have a "spell grenade"

My quick and simple way to fix/limit this.

Enemies have to wish the 'target' harm.

Unless the ghoul in question was thinking (at that mment) of attacking the caster (presumably the 'target of the 'enemies requirement') then it doesnt effect them.

If Bob the sammy is looking tasty, the 'stunball (my enemies) wouldnt hit him, since BOB is the ghouls enemy..

Only the ghouls that were actively at that moment planning harm to the 'taret' would be an enemy.

Cheesey YEAH, follows RAW though, and cheese can be used to deflect cheese!

(Edit to add)

Now the 'grenade' anchoring foci would have far less problems with.

A direct combat spell + Det. Enemies anchoring foci, I could accept.

Indirect, unfortunately a ball of fire isnt discriminating... (It might 'target' an enemy, but everyone around it still gets burned).
Critias
QUOTE (Squinky)

Well, if (a) suppressive fire was as likely to drop the whole pack of ghouls as the Stunball was, and (b) you had some way to expend you own magical energy to help protect your teammates from the suppressive fire, the way this shaman did with the Stunball and © your suppressive fire was with gel ammo or rubber bullets instead of doing lethal damage, since it's not like this shaman tossed a Fireball or something, and (d) your suppressive fire saved the fucking day, the first time you ever tried it, than I'm sure I wouldn't mind being in that game with you.

I'd even, y'know, roleplay my approval of your unorthodox but successfull methods, if things worked out like they did for this shaman in question.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Jaid)
I would suggest that he learn a new version of the spell with the limited-target "enemies".  Call it don'tfragyourfrendsball.

Then you've never seen Orgasm (Self).

"I've got Nutrition (Self), Fasting (self), and Orgasm (Self). If I didn't have to pay the rent I'd never leave my room."

The Shaman's actions were correct because they caused minor stun damage while preventing major physical damage. A few aches that'll go away after a good night's sleep are a hell of a lot better that giant bleeding wounds that might close without gangrenous infections after an extended hospital stay and, if you are lucky, you won't catch the Sixth World equivilant of HIV.
laughingowl
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 27 2006, 10:28 PM)

Then you've never seen Orgasm (Self).

"I've got Nutrition (Self), Fasting (self), and Orgasm (Self). If I didn't have to pay the rent I'd never leave my room."

The Shaman's actions were correct because they caused minor stun damage while preventing major physical damage. A few aches that'll go away after a good night's sleep are a hell of a lot better that giant bleeding wounds that might close without gangrenous infections after an extended hospital stay and, if you are lucky, you won't catch the Sixth World equivilant of HIV.

I see some major addiction if you play in my game..... if what you imply is even half true .... smile.gif
Butterblume
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Squinky @ Sep 27 2006, 08:25 PM)

Well, if (a) suppressive fire was as likely to drop the whole pack of ghouls as the Stunball was, and (b) you had some way to expend you own magical energy to help protect your teammates from the suppressive fire, the way this shaman did with the Stunball and © your suppressive fire was with gel ammo or rubber bullets instead of doing lethal damage, since it's not like this shaman tossed a Fireball or something, and (d) your suppressive fire saved the fucking day, the first time you ever tried it, than I'm sure I wouldn't mind being in that game with you.

I'd even, y'know, roleplay my approval of your unorthodox but successfull methods, if things worked out like they did for this shaman in question.

The team mates should hit the deck when the Sam starts suppressing. Perhaps a command/warning from the Sam beforehand, to be on the safe side. That would alleviate the points (b+c).
Since suppressing fire inflicts the weapon's base damage, (a) would be impossible. The Sam has most likely more IPs left, so he can keep on suppressing, or switch modes and target the ghuls individually.

Depending on the circumstances, a viable choice.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Glyph)
Of course, if it was a newbie player, he might not even have known that ghouls are dual-natured.

Or a veteran player not using OOC knowledge for a character that wouldn't know ghouls are dual natured.
James McMurray
What that means is that you can probably throw the Ghouls a corpse and move on your way

Of course, this assumes the group is walking down the street with a corpse in tow, and they're not carrying it because they need it for something else. I'm sure that happens all the time. smile.gif
Apathy
The related question would be: Would ghouls attack [especially out in the open in broad daylight, without firearms or a defensive mage of their own] if they knew the party had mage on hand? Their astral perception is always on, so unless the mage was an initiate with masking they would have immediately seen him for what he was.
Brahm
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Sep 28 2006, 09:58 AM)
What that means is that you can probably throw the Ghouls a corpse and move on your way

Of course, this assumes the group is walking down the street with a corpse in tow, and they're not carrying it because they need it for something else. I'm sure that happens all the time. smile.gif

Or they have a spare dwarf team member and a Buddy Knife™ to make an impromtu corpse. cool.gif
James McMurray
What's the assensing skill of the average ghoul, and how many successes do you need to know someone is a mage?

Or they have a spare dwarf team member and a Buddy Knife™ to make an impromtu spare corpse.

That's what injected nanobots and radio commands are for. Have them pool around the least liked team member's achilles tendon and cut it when given the order. Brings a whole new meaning to "I don't have to outrun the ghouls, I only have to outrun you."
Lantzer
I wouldn't worry so much about whether or not they could see that there was a mage (although that is a very good point). Another thing to wonder is if they noticed the armed and cybered Street sam.

I'd wonder why they are working so hard to get a meal.

Most predators, people included, prefer an easy life. They also don't need _that_ much metahuman meat. Occasional lone homeless people are easier to snatch than folks in cars, or teams of armed passers-by. They can get by the rest of the time on dumpster diving, or waiting downstream of the Mafia's favorite pier. wink.gif

All in all, that was a silly situation, artificially set up by the GM.

As a GM, I'd only have ghouls attack someone if they actually thought it was a good idea from their own point of view. They don't go out of their way to get shot up. A nasty wound, even if not immediately fatal, could be fatal in the long term. It's not like they have Docwagon accounts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012