Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun virtual blog - An ongoing fanfic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
JonathanC
So, I'm an aspiring writer. I enjoy Shadowrun quite a bit. And while I have original creator-owned works, I find that getting in the mindset to write in-between my soul-crushing corp job to be a little difficult. So I'm setting this up as a writing exercise, a sample of my work, and an "I love you" to SR. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome and encouraged.

http://www.myspace.com/114225527

http://blog.myspace.com/114225527

Tell your friends. smile.gif
Blade
I once started a similar fictional blog set in 2070 but it didn't last long because I couldn't update as frequently as someone connected 24/24 7/7 to the Matrix and who didn't have to imagine his own life would.

I like the style of your first entries and I hope you'll do better than me.
JonathanC
Well, my intent isn't to chronicle one matrix junkie's rants, but rather to string together a bunch of personal accounts to tell a story. I'm going to start out with some basic posts just to introduce the characters, then move into an actual, ongoing storyline.
warrior_allanon
in the process of doing something simmilar, if anything really just to host my writing so i have a real place to store it besides in my head and in my comp.

Wolfboy's stories
JonathanC
lol. figures the only post I get about this is a thread-jack to another blog.
Fortune
Just haven't had a chance to really check it out yet.
JonathanC
Oh, I wasn't trying to guilt anyone. I'm sure (or I'm hoping) readers will trickle in over time. I'm going to start updating it more frequently. I was just remarking about how funny it is that, up until just now, the only people who posted here were people who are writing or used to write for similar projects.

"Hey, read my stuff!"

"Interesting. You know, I used to write stuff."

"Hey hey, how about YOU read MY stuff?"

etc. etc.
Companion-to-Owls
I finished it wanting to read more. The characters are nicely drawn - you can pick up on their quirks and individual identities from the things they say in their first-person voice. You get a sense of their distinctive personalities reading the different posts.

And I did love the idea of an ork intellectual seduced by orksploitation!

So far, I have a sense of who they are as people but not, (apart from Oliy), what their "professional" talents are, apart from winning bar fights. I like that order, though. Too often it's "this character is a decker/rigger/mage" and when you ask about who their personalities are, you get a blank look and "um... you mean their Charisma stat?" nyahnyah.gif
JonathanC
Well, after dropping off the face of the earth for a while due to...well, a lot of stuff, I've re-started. It's just one post so far, but I'm going to try and devote at least one day a week to updating the story. The link is, as always, in my signature. smile.gif
SL James
QUOTE (Blade)
I once started a similar fictional blog set in 2070 but it didn't last long because I couldn't update as frequently as someone connected 24/24 7/7 to the Matrix and who didn't have to imagine his own life would.

Dude, that disqualifies you from making a blog now.
Sir_Psycho
I'm liking it, post here when you update, ok?
JonathanC
Thanks. I'm planning to update it this week, and I'm hoping for a weekly update schedule.
Sir_Psycho
I might mention though, the way it's heading, it's looking like it's going to be a little superpowered, with the Ork bashing up scores of people, and a obviously initiatory troll adept and elf mage.

I like the style, it's cute, but I feel that very powerful main characters alienate readers, and block our empathy towards them.
JonathanC
Even a starting ork runner in SR4 is likely capable of bashing up a bar full of no-names, and Oggie wound up needing a bit of medical care and a bail-out from Tommy, after all. As for the adept being initiated...Astral Perception is a standard Adept power, not an Initiate power. I intended for them to be somewhat seasoned, but I haven't described anything yet that you couldn't do out of char gen.

And while I tend to agree with you about overly powerful main characters, I think the fiction market begs to differ...Harry Potter (say what? he stalemates the unspeakable evil guy and teleports to safety in the movies?), Drizzt, the Stormbringer series, Vertigo Comics' Lucifer series, as well as The Sandman...most popular fiction heroes are head and shoulders above their nearest peers.
JonathanC
After nearly 6 months of hiatus due to...well, call it writer's block and other projects, I've finally updated the damn thing again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012