Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Idea for a new Adept power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mistwalker
OK, I am tossing around an idea about a new adept power.

It is fairly simple, Astral Projection, with Astral Perception prerequisite. Cost of 1 Magic Point.

Does that sound reasonable, or interesting?
lorechaser
It makes logical sense, but I don't like it.

That's what a Magician has. Astral Projection - no one else can do it, no matter how much they spend. Adepts *can't* project, ever.

Removing that just doesn't sit right with me.

That being said, if you don't have conceptual issues with it, I think 1 point is the right cost.
Dizzo Dizzman
SOA 2064 had a metamagic technique that was similiar. It allowed Magician Way's adepts to astrally project. However, the physical body loses 1 essence per minute rather than per hour.

If that doesn't work for your or your player's characters, you could base an adept power on it. Something like:

Astral Projection
Cost: 1

The adept can astrally project. However, the adept loses 1 point of essence per minute spent in astral. The adept must have either the astral sight power or be able to view the astral plane naturally to take this power.
Mistwalker
One of the reasons that this came up was due to the Astral Gateway power that some spirits can get. It allows anyone to project, as long as the spirit maintains the gateway. As well, there are some astral rifts that allow the same thing.

Lorechaser, it may step on the toes of a pure magician, but astral projection is no longer solely in under the purvue of the magician.

Dizzo, I didn't want to go that route. I could make it into a metamagic technique, with those limitations. But, by making it a power, and having a higher cost, I think I will leave it to the hours essence loss.

This is not a power I see many adepts taking, as the final cost to being able to do so is 2 magic points, that could be spent on more combat or sneak abilities.
Dizzo Dizzman
I wouldn't imagine a lot of adpets taking it, since it is so expensive. But it is well worth it. Astral projection is one of the best tools for survellance (sic) in the game. And you can move fast enough in astral to check out an entire building in a few minutes.
2bit
QUOTE (Mistwalker @ Oct 8 2006, 08:01 PM)
One of the reasons that this came up was due to the Astral Gateway power that some spirits can get. It allows anyone to project, as long as the spirit maintains the gateway. As well, there are some astral rifts that allow the same thing.

Well as you probably know, these powers are meant more as story devices, ala Harlequin's Back. Furthermore, the only method of creating an astral gateway which the PC's have control over is by invoking a great form guidance spirit. The other methods require accessing an astral rift (rare, and totally under GM control) or gaining the assistance of a free spirit with the power (again, rare, and almost completely under GM control). It's not as if the shadowrunning world is suddenly awash in mundane astral projection.

edited errors out
Lagomorph
Doesn't deepweed give the user astral perception? You could just take the projection power and get high to project?
Mistwalker
That is why Astral Perception is a prerequisite to Astral Projection, so that you can't just use a drug or such to cheat your way into a cheaper version of the power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012