Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wireless Smart Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Jack Kain
QUOTE (eidolon)
You could just make it assumed that it's a free action to turn it on with a command over DNI/PAN/whatever at the beginning of a round.

If its off you cant turn it on with a wireless link. One reason to turn a smart link off is to prevent hacking.
eidolon
Ah, true. It would be the difference between a hard on/off switch and a soft switch. Still, DNI it, skinlink it, whatever.

Good grief, just how easy to hack are the things on your PAN (SL, etc)?
Eleazar
I don't remember seeing anywhere in the SR4 corebook that states batteries are even used as an energy source for weapons, cyberware, commlinks, etc. For all we know some super efficient power source exists that last for 20 lifetimes is being used. The book doesn't talk about it, because it isn't necessary. Who knows what kind of energy sources will be available 64 years into the future. Heck, look how much has changed since 1942(64 years ago) till the present. I think even more will change with 64 years into our future because science and technology, at least in my perspective, is progressing faster.

I don't try to explain SR4 in terms of our current world reality altogether. For these reasons:

1. No one knows what will be possible 64 years into the future.
2. The reality of today is not the same as the reality of tomorrow. Yes, there are some things that will always be true, but of course no one thought back when Einstein created the Theory of Relativity that parts of it would be scrapped for String Theory. In other words, I am speaking of reality that is relative in peoples minds and not absolute reality.
De Badd Ass
The batteries in my TV remote control last years. The battery in my Subaru remote is the original - over 5 years old. My dad's pacemaker battery lasts a long time, too.

My cell phone's "Talk time" isn't very long. My notebook battery is bigger than my cell phone, and weighs a lot more, too. A commlink replaces both the cell phone and the notebook computer. Would it's battery last longer than one of today's cellphones IRL?

I have a battery powered Makita drill. If cyberlegs used the same battery, they wouldn't last a day. A cyberarm could start losing strength after about 90 minutes of strenuous activity.

Please shut this can of worms. Throw it away.

Universal charger: rotfl.gif
Jack Kain
I was reading street magic and was looking at the zombies which in shadowrun are corpses animated by a possesing spirit.
Anyway it mentions how cyberware doesn't normally function when not powered by the body.

So there, just like the robots used humans as batteries in the matrix movie.

Cyberware does the same thing generate for power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012