Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: limiting/gimping astral recon?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Slamm-O
in my game it seems as though the mage is overpowerd in the 'legwork phase' of our runs, he always seems to be able to go into astral and find out whats going on inside of any building/meet/facility. I normally only use wards on the 'treasure' room, the final objective, since i got the impression they were rare/expensive, am i correct or should i ward off whole buildings?

also i will try to use watchers, but i am fuzzy on whether watchers automatically see a runner or whether he can do astral stealth tests to sneak by them and observe, or whether he just has to count on them failing their intelligence test to report back or whatever. Is there a way to use watchers without making them totally screw over his astral recon like some sort of deus ex machina?

also what info can i limit? obviously he cant check digital data, nor read, but how about listening?

the current situation is that another team is going to be raiding the building the runners are in, and id like the ones near the buildings entrance to have a chance to hide from the other team, but they may think im softballing if the other guys dont astral recon, but if i have them do so without my players even knowing they are coming how to make them not auto-detected by the astral scout?
fistandantilus4.0
You can still use stealth to sneak past astral guards like watchers and spirits. Remember though that the more there are, the better the chances to spot them. A corp worth it's salt would spend the money to ward some of the basic places, like the security room, entry points, as much of the building as possible depending on it's size. Leaving lurking astral guards in hidden places like a vent shaft watching a hall is also a nice trick. Then there's FAB...
Dog
Don't forget that in the sixth world, anybody having a discussion probably knows there's a chance they're being observed by an astral presence. teleconferencing would screw-up an observing mage, so would simply talking in guarded or coded language "So, that... thing is set up for tonight? Good."

Eavesdropping in a crowded place would be just as difficult in the astral as in the physical, maybe harder in certain places, depending on how you treat background count.

Also, security doesn't just mean site security. You could reduce the number of astral guards by putting them on sensitive people instead of trying to prevent entry to a large area.

And, like always, astral recon works both ways. "Hey, I just astrally projected into the coffee shop next door and there's a bunch of tough guys talking about Jim!"
Kalvan
Besides, there's also such a thing as Matrix recon...
eidolon
QUOTE (Kalvan)
Besides, there's also such a thing as Matrix recon...

I think what the OP is saying is that the runners don't try anything but magical recon. I think he'd be happy if they tried to find info on the matrix. wink.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Slamm-O)
I normally only use wards on the 'treasure' room, the final objective, since i got the impression they were rare/expensive, am i correct or should i ward off whole buildings?

Warding requires no special skill and can be performed by any being capable of astral perception. This means most of the awakened populace: Your full magicians, your aspected magicians, adepts who have purchased the astral perception power, characters with the astral sight positive trait/quality, and so on. And it works for characters with a magic stat from 1 on up, leaving it open to your burnouts and your barely-awakened. On top of that, summoned spirits can perform warding as well.

In short, I'd expect warding to be the major vocation of the working awakened populace, and buildings with 100% ward coverage to be not uncommon and certainly not rare.

Another wrinkle that you can throw at your players would be background counts, especially aspected background counts. If wards are your perimiter defense, background counts are your area denial.
Edward
If all the legwork needed is a scouting of the facility then astral recon is going to take over from all mortal systems. I tend to have watchers do it so I am not at risk (telepathic link with watchers is grand).

There are things that make it problematic however. Wards are not cheep but nether are they prohibitively expensive, any moderately sensitive sight could have a force 2 alarm ward over the entire site. It wont stop anybody getting in but getting past without being detected is hard and when you are detected a flood of watchers and several elementals show up from the on call magic security provider (if the PC has masking and notices the ward he may try to slip threw it. If the person that set the ward has masking the ward can be masked (more expensive).)

Also in many cases astral recon will get you no more than a floor plan, you cant reed, you cant access digital media, even pictures aren’t much good to you. And it is somewhat unlikely that anybody will be talking about the chips your trying to steel for the short time your there. (even a single force 1 watcher will find you if you stay long enough).

there are plants that glow in the presence of magic, these can be used to tie astral security in to the physical system for a reasonable price.

If I come up with any other tricks I will post again. Just remember, if you use all the tricks you will be being unfair to the character and some places have no astral security at all (althow high end runners don’t attack those plases often)

Edward
Ryu
First, the mage needs to remember what he saw. A large map contains much more information than any sane person can reproduce without error in one go. Multiple attempts increase the danger of discovery by spirit and watcher patrols. Don´t give out maps for astral recon, give out descriptions. If they want a map, they´ll have to do it the mundane way.

Second, the information gained is limited. You´ll never know about that secret bank account on the caymans if you never hacked into the financial data of the site manager. You´ll also never learn about the secret owners of the corp.

Third, on astral security. A mage not possessing a map beforehand will run into the secured areas by design - he´s searching for them. And just gave out a "warning. shadowrunner attack pending."-sign in case of "active" security. Elementals are better than wards for this purpose.
fistandantilus4.0
Remember also that if they run in to an elemental while scouting, their choices are to run away, and let the elemental alert it's summoner, or destory it, which alerts the summoner. A mage can bind a spirit in to service over a year and a day with karma equal to force, so it's liekly that any site that would have a astral security would include at least a few force 3 or higher elementals on patrol.
nezumi
I personally have greatly decreased the distance a character can travel astrally through the earth (to about 0), which means underground facilities or underground portions of existing facilities are basically everywhere. I also reduced the costs of warding because whoever figures out how to make wards cheaper would be an instant billionaire. So every building of note is warded. Most communication is electronic. Wage slaves regularly spend most of their day doing their work through a datajack. High security information will be triple encrypted or will be hand delivered in a written letter. Also keep in mind that in a large enough facility, the mage is unlikely to even get a floor plan. My building is 6 levels and with full three dimensional movement and without being able to read signs, I imagine it would be very easy to lose myself. I could not possibly find a given target or room without having taken time beforehand to memorize the map and floor number. I imagine a sixty story corporate headquarters building would leave the mage so twisted around all he'd be able to say is 'it's pretty crowded in there'.
Lagomorph
Use matrix meetings, astral people can't spy on those.
toturi
Background Count.
Wounded Ronin
Perhaps this makes the case for injecting more random Lovecraftian horrors into the astral? "Sorry, but Moonwalker the erotic magical daydream whom you secretly want to be was EATEN during astral recon by Cthulu."

[plug]Use my PTSD thread for rules![/plug]
Edward
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Remember also that if they run in to an elemental while scouting, their choices are to run away, and let the elemental alert it's summoner, or destory it, which alerts the summoner. A mage can bind a spirit in to service over a year and a day with karma equal to force, so it's liekly that any site that would have a astral security would include at least a few force 3 or higher elementals on patrol.

Ever noticed the suspicious number of mages with the merit “photographic memory”

Even without that if you do your recon buy sending in a watcher spirit (denying them the option of hurting you or getting your astral signature) you can sit at a table with pencil and paper (or computer mapping program) and draw the arrangement of doors and corridors your spirit describes.

Obviously the watcher is more likely to be noticed buy active astral security but watchers get lost all the time, major buildings probably have several watcher incursions every day. They would cause no more change than a group of suspicious people hanging around a shopping centre (I am in security, they get asked to leave and that is the end of it)

Edward
Ryu
So now the intelligent and most capable Watcher does the recon? *sarcasm*

Photographic memory could be a problem, if you handle that one to generously. By the rules, you can remember fine details better. What you don´t gain (in my interpretation) the ability to remember anything you´ve ever seen for free. Thats were the threshold reduction applies. A mage with photographic memory will indeed make less mistakes in his description of what he saw. It will still be very hard to produce a semi-reliable map from memory alone.
Pendaric
Shedim
eidolon
QUOTE (Edward)
Ever noticed the suspicious number of mages with the merit “photographic memory”

Nope.

But that could have something to do with it not existing in my games. wink.gif
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (Slamm-O)

also what info can i limit? obviously he cant check digital data, nor read, but how about listening?

The way I read SR3 p.173 col.1, it is not possible to hear any sound occurring on the physical plane while astrally projecting.

QUOTE (SR3)

Physical things are intangible to your astral form.

Speach and sounds are as easy to hear from the astral plane* as they are in the physical world.

*While on the astral plane.

--------------------------------------------

I have recently played, as a mage, in a game where the GM specified that most corporations warded entire building complexes, if they were important. Locations of medium security, especially in office towers, usually only warded a few floors.

The GM did not bother to justify the economics, she merely stated what was, and wasn't warded.
nezumi
I have to strenuously disagree with your reading of the rule.

Speech and sounds are as easy to hear from the astral plane* as they are in the physical world. = while you are on the astral plane, speech and sounds are as easy to hear.

Because the section is on interacting with the physical plane, the implied meaning is sounds on the physical plane are as easy to hear.

I can only assume that your reading is
[Speech and sounds] are as easy to hear [from the astral plane]
becomes
[Speech and sounds] [from the astral plane] are as easy to hear
(And I assume this because you bothered to put your asterisk to define 'while on the astral'. That's what 'from the astral plane' means, while you are on the astral.)
eidolon
Speech and sounds are the same to the astrally projecting magician as they are to the person that's standing there physically.

That is the SR3 ruling from the core book.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (nezumi)
I have to strenuously disagree with your reading of the rule.

Speech and sounds are as easy to hear from the astral plane* as they are in the physical world. = while you are on the astral plane, speech and sounds are as easy to hear.

Because the section is on interacting with the physical plane, the implied meaning is sounds on the physical plane are as easy to hear.

And I feel that the explicit and implicit meaning of the RAW are the precise opposite.

The physical things that occur in the physical world are intangible to the astral form.

Sound on the physical plane is physical thing, and so cannot reach the astral form because it is intangible.

The entire paragraph where "Speech and sounds are as easy to hear from the astral plane as they are in the physical world." is talking about the difference between being on the astral and physical planes when using your senses.

1 -- When on the physical plane, you see and hear things on the physical plane normally.
2 -- When on the astral, you see and hear and hear things on the astral plane as noted specifically, and in general in the sentence duplicated above from SR3 p.173 col.1 para.3 under Astral Senses.
3 -- When on the astral plane, you see things on the physical plane as specified (can't read printed words at all but only emotional content, can't watch TV, etc.).

Unlike text, physical plane sound is not mentioned as carrying any emotional content, and so because it is intangible on the astral plane, it explicitly cannot be heard or be interpreted as an emotional message.

If a tornado blows on the physical plane, it is not felt on the astral (although some astral plane objects might be rearranged). Saying you could hear physical plane sounds on the astral plane would be like saying that you could hear the blowing tornado, but that it couldn't affect you . . . I prefer not to allow that interpretation.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (eidolon)
Speech and sounds are the same to the astrally projecting magician as they are to the person that's standing there physically.

If so, I was unable to locate it. Is that somewhere other than page 173?
Crusher Bob
This is what you get an orientation systemfor., you can still interact withe things you paid essence for. So, just like you'd be able to get read outs from your cyber gps while on the astral, you can make maps using your cyber orientation system.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is no radio from astral recon guys. If they run into a problem you don't know about it unless they send a spirit, come back and tell you, use the ally spirit -> radio hookup, or used the mindlink spell (or similar) before setting off.
Ryu
SR4, pg. 181, right column, heading "The astral world" - physical sound is indistinct, what can be read is emotion. Might be anger, fear or boredom in a business meeting, but no clear meaning.
eidolon
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
QUOTE (eidolon)

You've quoted the paragraph, but you haven't taken that paragraph in the surrounding context. The entire section is dealing with what the physical world is like to an astrally projecting magician.

QUOTE (SR3)
"Speech and sounds are as easy to hear from the astral plane as they are in the physical world." emphasis mine

Note the use of the word "from". Again, what is being explained is how the physical world is perceived by the astrally projecting magician. Ergo, while on the astral, sounds heard "from" the physical world while on the astral plane are clear.

Otherwise, I would posit that astral recon would be much less effective, and much less relied on.

I'm not trying to sound snarky (I genuinely want to know, so that I can decide whether to change how I rule the issue), but can you point to anything that negates this ruling in SR3?

I'm not familiar with the SR4 treatment, but from Ryu's post it looks to be quite different.
nezumi
I still stand by my original statement. The paragraph starts out with "Abstract information is more difficult to percieve there. Written information blah blah bla, but you can't read it to see that it's a love letter. Speech and other sounds are as easy to hear from the astral plane as they are in the physical world."

The subject of the paragraph is an astral mage sensing the physical world. Hence, we can infer the speech and sounds are on the physical and the mage is on the astral, and said sounds can be heard.

Also worth noting, every sense is mentioned and explained fully if it is anything other than normal. Taste and smell are listed as non-functional, touch is listed as only interacting with other astral things, sight is described in much more detail. All the exceptions to normal behavior are listed out carefully. Hearing is only listed as "as easy to hear", which would seem to imply there is nothing different about astral hearing compared to normal hearing, otherwise it would have been grouped with touch above.
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, in SR4, Ryu is correct. In SR4, physical senses have no meaning to perceiving things in astral space. Sound is as meaningless as text. Emotional impact is what carries through and can be sensed by someone who is in astral space. So while you can't hear the words someone is saying to someone else in physical space, you may be able to get an impression of the conversation's intent.

In SR3, however, none of the above necessarily applies. I know things were a bit fuzzier in previous editions.
eidolon
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
I know things were a bit fuzzier in previous editions.

They were. I don't think this is one such case, however. (And the fuzzy topics have likely just shifted from one thing to another. I doubt any game will ever get away from having its own quirks and misinterpretations.)

QUOTE (nezumi)
Also worth noting, every sense is mentioned and explained fully if it is anything other than normal.

This is also an excellent point.
Straight Razor
strain III
Kagetenshi
Strain II.

~J
Ryu
SR4 was the best I could do, and thankfully the answer was not "bow to the mage".

When I next see my girlfriend I´ll check the SR3 magic books she´s hogging since she wanted to do her own magic tradition. We always played it as "emotion yes, clear information no", but that might have been a house rule. SR2 quite is quite explicit in the way of SR4 (general "astral space"-chapter again).
hyzmarca
Yes, horrific spirits that could tear you apart at will but can't materialize for some reason are probably the best deterants to astral recon. If your astral space is empty then recon will be easy. If there is a Force 35 Free Loa on every street corner people will think twice about percieving or projecting. Of course, they don't have to be that powerful. The scariest thing on the astral plane is the Watcher Attack Pack. Sure, they're weak, but they're easy to summon and you can't beat their Friends in Melee bonuses. While they're rolling astral combat at TN2 and your rolling astral combat a TN8 and this is happening 4 times per pass you're pretty much screwed.
Dog
Slamm-O, what sort of information are the astrally reconning magicians getting? Can you give us an example?
Ryu
Calm down hyzmarca, calm down. Just a few enterprising buddies looking for ways to limit astral recon. If you need some soothing thoughts, remember that askenning a target will still give you information no mundane will ever get so easy.

Remember also that not all buildings actually have astral security? Why should they if eavesdropping is not so easy?

Better now?

(Just kidding, no offence intended)
Angelone
Why not have astral security everywhere? In my mind astral security is like matrix security if your company doesn't have any you've put yourself at a serious disadvantage. Not everyone is going to have top of the line security, but wards at minimum.

One of the most memorarable astral scouting missions I was invovled in was the time I was scoping out a warehouse which strange "people" were coming in and out of, while we were looking for a missing person who was last seem in the nieghborhood. Went through a wall and found myself in the middle of an antspirit hive eek.gif

Not advocating stuff like that all the time just every once in a while throw an "oh shit" at them.
Ryu
Astral security does achive nothing if you are not in danger of astral attack. Espionage is the greatest issue here, and you´ll not get far with that in the times of virtual offices (for matrix clerks).

Most engineers will not leave VR on a normal work day. The paperless office will be real. You just need to protect meeting rooms and exec divisions. And the execs themselves of course.
RainOfSteel
QUOTE (eidolon)

QUOTE (RainOfSteel)

QUOTE (eidolon)

You've quoted the paragraph, but you haven't taken that paragraph in the surrounding context. The entire section is dealing with what the physical world is like to an astrally projecting magician.

I felt I did fully take the surrounding context into consideration.

Yes I fully understand that the discussion is about an astrally projective mage attempting to sense information in the physical plane.

QUOTE (eidolon)

QUOTE (SR3)

"Speech and sounds are as easy to hear from the astral plane as they are in the physical world." emphasis mine

Note the use of the word "from".

I did note that. When reading the paragraph, in context, you must attach When in the astral plane to the beginning of the above sentence, because that is the context of the paragraph.

The word "from" is referring to speach and sounds from the astral plane, and stating that an astrally projecting mage can hear speach and sounds originating in the astral plane as easily as if they were in the physical world and hearing speach and sounds originating from there. (It is making a comparison for illustrative purposes.)

This is both implicit due to the context of the paragraph, and explicit in conjuction with the statement regarding:

1) The physical things that occur in the physical world are intangible to the astral form.

Because sound on the physical plane is physical thing, it cannot reach the astral form of a mage because that sound is intangible and therefore incapable of impact on the astral form (which doesn't really have ears anyway). Physical plane sounds literally have no representation on the astral plane.

It is crystal clear as far as I am concerned.

I do fully respect your interpretation.

QUOTE (eidolon)

Otherwise, I would posit that astral recon would be much less effective, and much less relied on.

I agree, astral recon is of only so much value. It is not a panacea for solving scouting needs.

----------------------------------------

If you look at Grimoire II, it explicitly states that music can only be understood as emotions, but general speech can be understood.

SR3 seems to explicitly alter it, and MitS doesn't cover it (at least I didn't see it).

I don't have SR4, but from the above post, it appears to be different than both SR2 and SR3, and that hardly surprises me.
eidolon
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
I did note that. When reading the paragraph, in context, you must attach When in the astral plane to the beginning of the above sentence, because that is the context of the paragraph.

The fact that you have to attach non-existent text, which you feel should be implied, to the sentence in order to arrive at your conclusion is precisely where I see your logic as faulty.

That non-existent text is what leads you to
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
The word "from" is referring to speach and sounds from the astral plane

which is not correct.

The context is quite clear, again, in that it is explaining how things on the physical plane are perceived by an astrally projecting magician on the astral plane. There is nothing at all to support that any of the sensory input being explained is originating on the astral plane.

I'm sorry if this seems like a beating of the proverbial dead horse. However, you cannot claim that the text supports your conclusion when you concurrently claim that it is necessary to add to said text in order to reach that conclusion.

Your reasoning is fine, if one is already operating on the assumption that the text is incorrect, as you seem to be, being that you're supporting your interpretation by drawing from earlier editions. However, when drawing only from the SR3 explanation, your reasoning doesn't hold up.

No hard feelings, run it how you like, it isn't my game, etc. etc. and all disclaimers necessary, of course.

RainOfSteel
QUOTE (eidolon)

The fact that you have to attach non-existent text, which you feel should be implied, to the sentence in order to arrive at your conclusion is precisely where I see your logic as faulty.   

If you choose to disregard a clear and concise statement in the rules section in question, it is possible to view it that way.

I do not wish to ignore explicit statements in the rules, and because of that, view my conclusion as entirely reasonable, and logical.

QUOTE (eidolon)

That non-existent text is what leads you to
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
The word "from" is referring to speach and sounds from the astral plane

which is not correct.

I believe it is, because it can't be talking about an astral form hearing sounds from the physical plane because the rules explicitly state that this is not possible just a short distance further up the page.

I choose not to disregard the explicit statement in the rules. Physical things are intangible to your astral form [...]. Sound is a physical thing, this cannot be escaped. The rules clearly state that they are intangible to the astral form.

This is an explicit statement that sounds cannot be heard. The implicit meaning of the last sentence under the Astral Senses section" follows from the explicit. In any event, the meaning of the word "from" does not change regardless of the implicit meaning of the so-called non-existent text (that I was using an illustrative example). I never really meant that there should be additional text there, I was just spelling out the obvious meaning based on the full and combined context of the entire rules discussion including the explicit statement that sounds cannot be heard.

After an explicit statement is made that sounds cannot be heard, any following statements may not implicitly discuss (and are not discussing) the occurrence of a rules-banned situation.

QUOTE (eidolon)

The context is quite clear, again, in that it is explaining how things on the physical plane are perceived by an astrally projecting magician on the astral plane.  There is nothing at all to support that any of the sensory input being explained is originating on the astral plane.

Except for the explicit statement that sounds cannot be heard two paragraphs up the page.

QUOTE (eidolon)

I'm sorry if this seems like a beating of the proverbial dead horse.  However, you cannot claim that the text supports your conclusion when you concurrently claim that it is necessary to add to said text in order to reach that conclusion. 

Again, I was spelling things out.

The rules expressly state that sounds cannot be heard.

QUOTE (eidolon)

Your reasoning is fine, if one is already operating on the assumption that the text is incorrect,

No, I am operating under the assumption that the text is correct.

Physical things are intangible to your astral form [...]. Sound is a physical thing, this cannot be escaped. The rules clearly state that they are intangible to the astral form.

QUOTE (eidolon)

as you seem to be, being that you're supporting your interpretation by drawing from earlier editions.

I did no such thing.

I mentioned rules on this subject in other game editions, I did not use them as support.

If anything, I was illustrating that all the editions appeared different, that this did not surprise me, and nothing else.

If I was using the SR2 rules cite as support (and I wasn't), then you must consider that it only supported your position (and not mine).

As for the SR4 rule, I was only discussing it in the most indirect fashion, never having seen it myself.
Fortune
I think you'll find that the statement you are quoting refers to the sense of touch. Physical things are intangible, meaning that your Astral Form can pass through walls. It is not referring to sound, which cannot be touched in the physical sense in the real world, or in the Astral.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
Physical things are intangible to your astral form [...]. Sound is a physical thing, this cannot be escaped. The rules clearly state that they are intangible to the astral form.

So is light but you can still "see" physical things from the astral plane because every physical object has an "astral shadow." You can detect movement for the same reason. Now, if you can detect the movement of a man walking on the physical plane by "looking" at his astral shadow then why can't you detect the movement of air molecules by "hearing" their astral shadows.

Remember, that "sight" and "sound" on the astral plane are not physical senses. THey are psychic in nature. The psychic detection of astral shadows in a way that seems to mimic visual perception does not preclude the psychic detection of astral shadows in a way that seems to mimic auditory perception.,
Wounded Ronin
This thread has a lot of different facts and interpretations so I feel it needs an executive summary.

The summary should be entitled HOW DO SCREW OVER PLAYERS and it should just be a bullet listing of the most un-favorable interpretations of the rules listed on this thread so that an aspiring GM can get the most bang for the buck in stomping the local mage into the ground.

So far, I have:

*all data collected in the astral is emotional rather than practical ("the building feels cold and unwelcoming...it probably has security, or maybe just a grumpy receptionst...you feel that the Age of Aquarias has been offended")

*If the players complain that there are Force 35 Lovecraftian horrors on every block, pelt them instead with packs of watcher spirits

*FAB is fab

*Every corporation wards their buildings since not doing so would be absurd
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
So is light but you can still "see" physical things from the astral plane because every physical object has an "astral shadow."

Two totally different things. If you turn out the physical lights, do the physical things become unseen in the astral?

~J
Ryu
And true to tradition, the executive summary is basically right but missing significant details...

I suggest reading the SR3 rules with consideration of the clear statements of both SR2 and SR4. Discussion of whats physical and whats not will be fruitless due to the undefined status of mana.
eidolon
QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
I choose not to disregard the explicit statement in the rules. Physical things are intangible to your astral form [...].

And here is where you have to look at the intended meaning, and realize that the section's writer was obviously not using the word "physical" to mean "all things to which physical law applies".

QUOTE (Fortune)
I think you'll find that the statement you are quoting refers to the sense of touch. Physical things are intangible, meaning that your Astral Form can pass through walls. It is not referring to sound, which cannot be touched in the physical sense in the real world, or in the Astral.

Hits it on the head quite nicely. The fact that you're being too literal, and transposing sections of the text back and forth the support your desired conclusion, again, does nothing to help your case.

Factor in the very first statement of the entire section
QUOTE (SR3.173 @ Astral Senses)
Your astral form has normal human senses of sight and hearing.

and your interpretation slips even further. Are you going to argue that the writer/designer intended that to mean "normal but only operating on the astral plane", again adding text required to support your reading?

QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
Except for the explicit statement that sounds cannot be heard two paragraphs up the page.

It does no such thing. There is nothing in the text that refers to sound until the statement that states explicitly that you can hear sound from the physical on the astral plane.

QUOTE (RainOfSteel)
The rules expressly state that sounds cannot be heard.

No. Actually, they don't. They state quite the opposite. But continue believing what you wish.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 22 2006, 05:50 PM)
So is light but you can still "see" physical things from the astral plane because every physical object has an "astral shadow."

Two totally different things. If you turn out the physical lights, do the physical things become unseen in the astral?

~J

They are not different at all. Astral "light" is the auras of living beings. The auras of living beings bounce off of the astral shadows of inanimate objects, proucing psychic illumination. Why would it be difficult to assume that vibrating astral shadows would also cause auras to vibrate, reproducing sounds.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
They are not different at all.

They are entirely, completely, and utterly different. You say it yourself.

Astral "light" is the auras of living beings.

And physical light is not. End of story, really.

Why would it be difficult to assume that vibrating astral shadows would also cause auras to vibrate, reproducing sounds.

It's not difficult at all to assume that. The difficult part is assuming that that makes them at all alike.

If you turn on a lightbulb, it doesn't glow in the astral because it isn't any more alive. If you have a hundred people in a room with no light but their own blackbody radiation and the walls at absolute zero, the people are still just as visible on the astral as if they were seconds shy of being incinerated from the light hitting them—no more, no less.

The presence of an astral version of light does not imply (and indeed, is expressly stated not to be) the perception of physical light on the astral plane.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The presence of an astral version of light does not imply (and indeed, is expressly stated not to be) the perception of physical light on the astral plane.

Which is still not to say that sounds from the physical cannot be heard while Astrally Projecting.

Although I do know that you are not arguing that point, Kage. wink.gif
hyzmarca
The assumption that if physical matter interacts with astral light then physical matter interacts with astral light isn't that far of a leap at all. In this case, "sound" and "sight" are simply two different ways for physical matter to interact with the psychic glow from living auras, one by direct reflection and the other by inducing vibration.

The lightbulb analogy is quite meaningless since physical light can be dismissed as beingan electromagnetic wave and/or a massles particle while sound iscaused by massive molecules and it has already been established that massive molecules interact with astral light.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012