Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dysfunctional player's redux
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Jack Kain
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Oct 23 2006, 10:18 AM)
I'm not talking about C.L.U.E. files material or simple pvp conflict; I'm talking about annoying ass habits.

I have one player who repeats shit all the time. He has a character who used to be part of Knight Errant and was discharged to appease the media after killing a good merged little girl. When fighting a beetle spirit, he used a Knowledge: Insect Spirits check to find its weak spot (its neck).

This wasn't a problem in and of itself, except for the fact that he repeated "You see that? I knew its weak spot!" about five fucking times.

Oh, and he thinks he has ESP and used it to find out his military call sign, which is "shadow." He also names his character "Shadow," because he's shadowy.

Another player is playing a snake shaman named "Cobra," so named because "He slithers." He repeated this about five times during character creation. He also said "So when the smoke clears and everything, you're gone, because my character will shapeshift you. He'll benefit everybody" about five fucking times.

Anyone care to chime in with tales of extreme player social ineptitude?

As the old dysfunctional player's topic was hijacked and taken wildly off course I decided to open a new one.

Lets try and limit the stories TO annoying IN GAME habbits and otherwise annoying roleplaying.
knasser
I ran D&D with some interesting players in it. One was the Run Away guy who just really didn't like combat. As his wizard's skinny arse vanished rapidly back down the road at the first sign of trouble he would always turn to the other players apologetically and say: "It's what my character would do."
Konsaki
D&D group with 5 players and the GM. Pretty big group, and we really didnt have the space for another player, in or out of game.
Well, someone from our squad shows up and just sits in a few games as an observer. We wouldnt mind this normally, but he was always meta-gaming even when he wasnt in the game. We just sorta ignored it until he asked to join.
The GM didnt want to outright say no, because that wasnt his style, so he let him roll up an UBER Warrior™. When he handed the sheet in, he pointed out how great it was to everyone, and then sat by his pile of books he brought.

The normal group was in a dungon at the moment, searching for some wizard or something, but it had enough of a wacky layout with diminsional warps that we found the tourture room. Guess who was in it. biggrin.gif
So we find this Warrior with only a a loincloth on and a bunch of switches on the wall next to the contraption he was hooked up too. None of us could figure out how to undo the machine so we started throwing switches, trying to do the right thing and release him. Didnt work out so well. smokin.gif
We finally get him loose before he died, and I heal him up cause I'm a goodly Cleric. He then proceeds to follow our group in just his loincloth untill we find some dead smuck who fell into a trap. The rogue ties a rope around the dead guy, the normal fighter pulls it to the group, and the new Warrior loots it of all the gear.

The next time we get into battle, as soon as the Warrior attacks the first target, the GM takes over and says that the Warrior is glowing bright red and is frothing at the mouth. The Wizard makes a knowledge check and then proceeds to use Ray of Decentigration on the Warrior, who then falls into a pile of ashes.
The GM then took the pissed off player outside after around 5 minutes of bitching, and tells him what was going on and why it happened. The player wound up staying in the group, but we didnt have the same problem of him always being UBER. grinbig.gif
emo samurai
QUOTE (Konsaki)
The next time we get into battle, as soon as the Warrior attacks the first target, the GM takes over and says that the Warrior is glowing bright red and is frothing at the mouth. The Wizard makes a knowledge check and then proceeds to use Ray of Decentigration on the Warrior, who then falls into a pile of ashes.
The GM then took the pissed off player outside after around 5 minutes of bitching, and tells him what was going on and why it happened. The player wound up staying in the group, but we didnt have the same problem of him always being UBER. grinbig.gif

What the hell happened to him? And why?
Konsaki
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Oct 24 2006, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Oct 24 2006, 07:15 AM)
The GM then took the pissed off player outside after around 5 minutes of bitching, and tells him what was going on and why it happened. The player wound up staying in the group, but we didnt have the same problem of him always being UBER.  grinbig.gif

What the hell happened to him? And why?

Opps, my bad.
The gear that he had picked up had been minor magical stuff, you know +1 +2 stuff. But the polearm had the 'of the berserker' curse on it. None of us had identify on us at the time, so he just used them without caring.
I asked the GM later why he let him play just to do that, and he told me that it was his policy never to kick someone out or turn them away. He would just make your time hell until you wanted to leave.
Kagetenshi
Yeah, that's one nut GM. My condolences.

(Incidentally, a good way of bringing threads back on-topic is to post on-topic material to them rather than hiding it somewhere completely different)

~J
knasser
QUOTE (Konsaki)
D&D group with 5 players and the GM. Pretty big group, and we really didnt have the space for another player, in or out of game.
Well, someone from our squad shows up and just sits in a few games as an observer. We wouldnt mind this normally, but he was always meta-gaming even when he wasnt in the game. We just sorta ignored it until he asked to join.
The GM didnt want to outright say no, because that wasnt his style, so he let him roll up an UBER Warrior™. When he handed the sheet in, he pointed out how great it was to everyone, and then sat by his pile of books he brought.

The normal group was in a dungon at the moment, searching for some wizard or something, but it had enough of a wacky layout with diminsional warps that we found the tourture room. Guess who was in it. biggrin.gif
So we find this Warrior with only a a loincloth on and a bunch of switches on the wall next to the contraption he was hooked up too. None of us could figure out how to undo the machine so we started throwing switches, trying to do the right thing and release him. Didnt work out so well. smokin.gif
We finally get him loose before he died, and I heal him up cause I'm a goodly Cleric. He then proceeds to follow our group in just his loincloth untill we find some dead smuck who fell into a trap. The rogue ties a rope around the dead guy, the normal fighter pulls it to the group, and the new Warrior loots it of all the gear.

I'm assuming in this case that the dysfunctional player is the GM that ran a player through a whole humiliation trip? You're not saying that the one who created a min-maxed character is dysfunctional?
fistandantilus4.0
As this thread isn't Shadowrun, and has little hope of being Shadowrun (and is a bit redundant anyways), moving to General Gaming.
Konsaki
All us players knew the GM's tendancies and thought they were hilarious. We liked the GM but didnt like the new guy and his Leetness. We would have left the Warrior in the torture device had it not been for my diety (GM) telling me to release him.
Wounded Ronin
The locked thread was the pwn.
emo samurai
Lots of my locked threads are the pwn.
fistandantilus4.0
Maybe there's a pattern there. wink.gif

The first couple pages of the other thread were pretty good. I have hopes for this doppleganger.
emo samurai
Here's my post from the other thread to get things rolling again.
QUOTE (emo samurai @ yeah!)
Oh, and ESP man? He thinks he has nanobots that make it so that it doesn't hurt if he pounds his leg. And that he can slow down time so he can move fast, never mind that I can easily move faster. And that "black ops" follows him around because he tested well... And on, and on, and on.

He never specifies what exact agency "black ops" comes from. And he brags about those test scores CONSTANTLY, even though he got a 100 out of 120.
knasser

Probably a stupid question but when you say the last thread was the pwn, does that mean it was good or it was bad?

Sorry. frown.gif
emo samurai
What's the letter before p? Exactly.
knasser
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Oct 25 2006, 08:47 AM)
What's the letter before p? Exactly.

Right, I know it's a substitute for own. But is that good or bad? I understand that when something is pwned it is a bad thing. But to pwn something is a good thing. Because pwn was used as a noun - "this thread is the pwn" - I wasn't sure if the thread was pwning or was itself pwnd. I'm assuming that you mean it pwnd, in which case I agree that it did pwn quite a bit.

But I'm not sure because you could also say that given how it ended up shut down, that it was pwnd.

Hence my uncertainty.
Konsaki
If you really want to know, create another thread asking this question. It doesnt have anything to do with Dysfunctional Players.
knasser
QUOTE (Konsaki)
If you really want to know, create another thread asking this question. It doesnt have anything to do with Dysfunctional Players.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif

(But I really want to know! )
will_rj
I´ve played with a guy that, while his character was crossing town on a bike to meet the rest of the group, kept making silly engine sounds with his arms stretched as if he was really sitting on a bike. When we tried to address him, he would just up the volume, probably meaning to say "I can´t hear you right now, i´m riding my bike, y´know." That was weird...

And about the brazilian death squad stuff, i´ve never had that kind of experience, but one of the players in my regular shadowrun game used to play Vampire with a guy from BOPE (Batalhão de Operações Especiais). AFAIK, he was a pretty good GM, and nobody EVER argued his rulings on firearms, crime, torture and pretty much everything else, as the guy seems to have lived thru all of it.

As the rpgnet link says, policemen can be very dangerous here. Special Forces are not an exception, but they tend to have stronger moral principles.
James McMurray
Another thread on another board reminded me of a guy I used to game with. This guy was, to put it politely, "extremely spiritual." By that I mean that he was one of the guys that thinks all things are humanly possible if you just believe enough. He was (oddly enough) a stoner, and he also lived hand to mouth bouncing from home to home despite his parents being rich (not just well off, but "rolling naked in bills" rich). **

As long as I knew him, he was always claiming he was one day going to teleport to India. It was his dream in life, and he was convinced that enough meditation would make it happen. He did eventuall move away, and for all I know he succeeded.

** I can't really say too much about this aspect though, as it was around the same time that I was a homeless stoner despite having perfectly loving parents willing to bring me into their homes.
emo samurai
James, I couldn't imagine you as a stoner homeless dude. Then again, I know jack shit about you.
James McMurray
I've come a long way, baby. smile.gif
PBTHHHHT
reminds me of a coworker. He dropped out of high school, was in a hair band (a 70/80's phenomenon, emo). Decades later, he has a PhD in biology and chemistry, has many years of doctoral research work, is the most straight laced looking guy around who goes every summer to Oxford on a religious studies retreat.

Talk about a change/jump in lifestyle/interests.
James McMurray
His jump was a heck of a lot bigger than mine, although a Master's is planned, I don't think I'll go the PhD route. I'm a proud high school dropout too though, and a college drop out (although I eventually went back). smile.gif
emo samurai
Dude, how old are you?
James McMurray
I turned 33 on 10/23.
PBTHHHHT
who? me or James?

edit: I'm younger than James by ~35 months. Dang it, James you stealthed posted while I was asking. Heh.
Moon-Hawk
I smell an emo samurai poll coming.
PBTHHHHT
oh gawd no. I'd rather not know people's ages really and treat them all the same and let their personalities and responses colour my judgement.
James McMurray
I'm pretty sure there's already an old "How old are you" thread buried deep in the receses of time. At least, this is the third or fourth time I can remember posting my age.
knasser
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
oh gawd no. I'd rather not know people's ages really and treat them all the same and let their personalities and responses colour my judgement.

Seconded. To quote a friend of mine: The truth is the truth even if Mickey Mouse says it. And a lie is still a lie even if your father told you it.

Everything anyone says here should stand on its own merits, whether by kids, ancients, admins or newbies. Sometimes anonymity even helps people accept criticism or unpalatable truths.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012