Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternate System and Response
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garrowolf
Response - This limits all the software on the computer to it’s rating. If the software is rated higher then the Reponse then it drops down to the Response rating. You can have programs with a rating higher then your System rating but not your Response rating.

Instead of making you keep up with the number of programs you are running you just have to worry about a few programs. Agents are a resource drains. You can run one agent or one IC on your commlink with no drop. After that every agent, pilot, or IC on your commlink drops the response by 1. You can’t run more then one system on your commlink without immediately dropping the response by 1. Other then that the response won’t be an issue unless the GM says so.

System This is the Operating System of the commlink. It contains several programs to allow you to use the commlink. These programs are at the system rating right out of the box but you can upgrade them up to the response of the commlink.

Analyze - This allows your system to see things about what is going on around it. It is used for Matrix Perception tests (Inituition + Computer skill +Analyze).
Browse - This allows your commlink to search for information on the Matrix. It uses Inituition + Data Search +Browse. Agents use their Rating + Browse.
Command - This allows you to command devices and agents that you have subscribed. You can have Command x 2 items on this list.
Edit - This allows you to create and edit various types of files.
Encrypt - This encrypts your wireless signal. This comes with your firewall at the same rating as it.
Firewall - This acts as a threshold for all actions by hackers.
Media Player - This plays stuff.
Scan - This allows you to see wireless signals. You automatically pick up all the normal wireless signals in your range. If you have Electronic Warfare Skill you can use this to pick up more.

I removed the double limit with System and Response and just made Response the limiter. System is more like a regular OS now. I think that they were thinking about older forms of Windows when they were thinking about the lower rating Systems but I don't think that would be an issue after that long. It also means that the commlinks are more useful out of the box because you have all this to start with.

If you don't upgrade a program then just roll your system rating since all of the programs that come with it are at your system rating. You could get a rating 3 System and up the Firewall to a 5 and be fine with it.

Also I made the subscription list based on the Command Program instead.

Opinions?
GrinderTheTroll
I like the "built-in" idea of the OS Software.
starkebn
Very nice rethinking of the node rules. Cudos to you for coming up with them. Now all you need is someone to break them and bring you to tears (not me)
Ryu
Sounds good. I´d include encryption into system because wireless just ain´t going nowhere without. All included programs don´t count against the response limit, right?

You should allow up to either one or two ICE/Agents combined. Not much difference between those. I´d go with one here if the answer to the previous question is "yes".

Did you adjust software prices accordingly?

deek
Honestly, I don't have trouble with the current rules, so I will be on the other side of this proposal. The way I have interpreted (and ran) the rules surrounding Response and System degradation are pretty simple.

For every System programs, your current Response goes down 1. The point is the "current" Response goes down, which will affect your initiative in the matrix, but that doesn't force your System down, and create the downward spiral.

I don't like dropping it down to just one limiter, because to me, it makes sense to have both a Response and a System limiter, one hardware and one software. I don't want to have a rating 6 program running on a System 1 comm...just doesn't work for me.

I also like the fact that hackers have to choose different configurations of active programs. Allowing them to have a handful of programs that don't count against their system just really changes the strategy of hacking, which I currently like as written.

Those are my opinions...
Ryu
I won´t propose this to my group either, any "houserule" has to stay within usual GM powers. We agreed to play SR4 by the book at least until everyone has their support book, be it magic or vehicles or whatever.

Nonetheless I think this would have been a better use for system, while handling the multiple agent issue within already provided parameters.

I also consider changeing program load on the run nice, but you´ll have to make room for counting agents higher somewhere. Garrowulfs justification fits, and your OS should come with some basic usability anyway.

Concerning troubles with the current rules, there are some. Mostly the sad state of encryption and firewalls. Easily fixed by NOT applying the limit of six to mainframe systems. But thats getting us OT here, so I will stop.
Garrowolf
Actually I was just thinking of changing the second paragraph under response to this:

Instead of making you keep up with the number of programs you are running you just have to worry about a few programs. Agents are a resource drains. You can run one agent or one IC on your commlink with no drop. After that every agent, pilot, or IC on your commlink drops the response by 1. You can’t run more then one system on your commlink without immediately dropping the response by 1. Other then that the response won’t be an issue unless the GM says so.

That way the low response commlinks make sense again.

I made the cost the same but I could see system maybe costing double since it has all this.

Also I see what you mean about encryption. But I was thinking that maybe the Firewall could come with an encryption program as a part of a standard security package.

Do you guys think it should be with the firewall or the system (ie if you upgrade your firewall over your system rating will it go up as well)?
Ryu
It should come with firewall, as that is responsible for security and encryption is necessary for network security in a wireless environment.

While you are at it, it could make sense to have encryption constantly change the code, forcing a hacker to beat it in one turn. Still doable, but actually a means of defense.
Garrowolf
OK I edited it with the suggestions.

I could see the encyption thing changing but the problem is that it would make it either too difficult to stay connected because the other receiving program would have to always be changing as well or once you go past the firewall you wouldbe able to feed the passwords to your own computer. What I actually did was I added the concept of Security instead.

Basically it's a threshold on top of the firewall that a hacker always has to deal with unless they slow hack it. They may be past the firewall and find someone who keeps a lot of security or they could find a commlink high firewall but no internal security because the user thinks they don't need it with a great firewall.

If you want to the see the rest of my house rules I use check out my web site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012