Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pendragon update?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
fistandantilus4.0
I have one of my game groups teams based in the U.K., and I've been trying to bring in the whole Pendragon underground in to the game as the anti-establishmnet group. Problem is of course that the only real info that we have to work with is SoE. We're playing a 4th edition game in 2070. Obviously there's a problem with a 5 year gap of activity in the undergorund movement.

Now I could of course go ahead and make up my own stuff. But like with the Tir before, the problem with that is possible (and likely) conflict with canon when it's updated.

In the meantime, I'm looking for anything that others have done with the Pendragon/Pendragon Underground so I can keep things rolling until it gets updated. Also, if anyone has any idea when this is going to get updated (very ballpark here), that would be just swell. Thanks. smile.gif
ChicagosFinest
Resident Freelancer Synner has the answers for you. but I kinda beat you to asking the question. Heres the scoop....

I asked via email (editing some of this):

Synner, I just wanted to know the status of what the pendragon is up to. Is he still leading the revolution in Europe, is he laying low? Most importantly is the Excalibur he has real, if so did he steal it from Dunkie?

Synner Replied me today:

A careful reading of the fiction piece at the beginning
of the Magical Groups chapter in Street Magic might be
interesting...

Pendragon has been MIA since 2065 and the LPO has put
its jackboot firmly on the throat of the country with
the Emergency Powers Act (basically martial law under
another name) passed to restore order after the
Crash2.0 and never lifted. (Very much akin to "V FOR VENDETTA" so I dig it)

Unfortunately things have a habit of twisting out of
control and several parties are chafing to bring down
the LPO once and for all (the Street Magic piece
features one such)- and maybe on the way we'll find
out what really happened to Pendragon.

As to the nature of Excalibur, unfortunately that
would be telling... but its important to note that
Dunklezahn's words were that he seemed to have
misplaced it.

Thats all I got. Synner was very generous to send it to me so make sure everyone reads this post gives a shot out and a thank you to our guy.

Comments, Questions, Speculation?
fistandantilus4.0
Thanks, apparently I have some reading to do. Maybe Fortune will post his theory we've been discussing. wink.gif

I'm gonna go home and bone up now.
Fortune
Never fear! Harley will win in the end. smile.gif
ChicagosFinest
fistandantilus3.0,

No problem I'm sure you would do the same for me. Were runners right gotta stay cutting edge of the SOTA to survive biggrin.gif

Fortune,

Post your theory I wanna know what you got working out. It might not get Synners attention but it could turn into your and someone else's side plot
fistandantilus4.0
"Faster, stronger, smarter. God I hate the technology curve"
-Fastjack

Post your theory I wanna know what you got working out.

he just did. wink.gif

Take a look at some of the hints in DoSW and Dunkie's Will, and Pendragon's physical description.
ChicagosFinest
So you think Pendragon is Harley? But in Shadows of Europe he mentions something like "Excalibur indeed... Interesting". I dont think he has it and Pendragon is someone else.

So help me out I'm clueless on what you two are thinking. Do you think Pendragon is Ethan the scribe or anohter dragon?
Fortune
I don't know if you would call it a theory that I have been 'working on' or anything of the like.

I have just always gone on the assumption that Harley was/is Arthur (or at least was very closely associated with him). It doesn't take a great leap of imagination to go from 'Arthur' to 'Pendragon' ...

Alternately, maybe the reason that Pendragon disappeared in '65 was that Harley finally caught up with the brash and foolhardy imposter and (re)claimed his inheritance.

I like my first 'theory', but the second is growing on me. biggrin.gif
ChicagosFinest
That would make sense for harley to be artuhur but theres only one person who truely knows nyahnyah.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
... but theres only one person who truely knows nyahnyah.gif

Maybe, but what's your point? You asked me to post my thoughts, and I did so. question.gif
SL James
Aww... I was hoping that they'd be more blatant in ripping off V for Vendetta.

Oh well.
ChicagosFinest
Yeah me too, That movie is A for Awesome. and B fits well with the 6th world.
Grinder
I like your theory, but at the same moment I hope that you're not correct with it. Not another IE playing a major role in the history of a country, please.
Fortune
QUOTE (Grinder @ Nov 9 2006, 09:49 AM)
I like your theory, but at the same moment I hope that you're not correct with it. Not another IE playing a major role in the history of a country, please.

I originally figured that it was more than obvious that Pendragon was Harley, with all the hints and clues pointing in that direction and very little pointing to anything contrary, but that little tidbit about Pendragon being missing since '65 does put a new spin on things, which led me to the second theory. The problem is that if Harley has claimed Excaliber from a Pendragon imposter, then the thread would seem to be pretty much wrapped up, unless Harley himself wants to step up to the plate.
Synner
I've still got a few surprises up my sleave for Pendragon and the olde Green and Pleasant Isle, hopefully we'll be able to visit the Smog in an upcoming book... until then keep looking for clues and developments in future books, as some of you well know I have a penchant for dropping hints and minor tie-ins into pretty much anything I write.
ChicagosFinest
And we thank for it. It makes the game easier to follow and includes us in your plot lines in our own way.

Now if we can figgure out how far Ghost walker is in resurecting the spirit of denver
SL James
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
Yeah me too, That movie is A for Awesome. and B fits well with the 6th world.

The movie sucks balls.

Like Alan Moore said, if they wanted to make a movie criticizing American policies, they should have set it in America and left his story the hell alone.
Faelan
I was worried I was the only one who thought it sucked. Needless to say it continued the Wachowski Brothers slide into hell. Won't get into it here.

Anyway thanks for chiming in Synner.
ChicagosFinest
Nah I loved the aethetic. I didnt pay attention to that american criticism stuff I dont go to the movies to think i go there to have fun
Mistwalker
Well, seems I am not that bright, as I missed the American Critism stuff. I enjoyed the movie. But like ChicagosFinest, I tend to turn off my sense of disbelief and enjoy the movie.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Synner)
I've still got a few surprises up my sleave for Pendragon and the olde Green and Pleasant Isle, hopefully we'll be able to visit the Smog in an upcoming book... until then keep looking for clues and developments in future books, as some of you well know I have a penchant for dropping hints and minor tie-ins into pretty much anything I write.

...Isn't that "The Smoke"? or has the name changed over the years.

Also, has the LPO cracked down primarily on London, or the entire nation as well. I started working up a "follow on" to the campaign I ran which was set back in the early 60'just prior to the crash & would like to know more about the status of the "Realm" in 2070 before I sink too much time into it.

Already had a major amount work invested in writing up TT that was invalidated when the Tir Taringire sourcebook was released. It also appears that after some recent news concerning SoE (see referenced thread below), that the same may be true for the setting I had established in the Balkans for my last campaign. For both of these I had designs on submission after the playtesting was completed.
...tried to embed a link to another post using a simple name, but couldn't figure it out how to do it without copying the entire address verbatim - Basically, refer to the last post to Shadowrun on the Orient Express thread on the Shadowrun forum.

Any assistance on how to do this?

Synner
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Synner)

...Isn't that "The Smoke"? or has the name changed over the years.

My bad. Some days you just shouldn't post after work.

Also, has the LPO cracked down primarily on London, or the entire nation as well.  I started working up a "follow on" to the campaign I ran which was set back in the early 60' just prior to the crash & would like to know more about the status of the "Realm" in 2070 before I sink too much time into it.

As I mentioned in the aforementioned mail. Street Magic has a small prelude to the UK situation, the next couple of books will have more. Until they're out though, I can't really talk about them... but I will say they'll provide glimpses that should allow you to put together the bigger picture.

So far what you know is that: the Underground is still active but floundering after the loss of the Pendragon, the Pendragon has vanished (mention of the Cambridge Student riots of 2065 was actually premature, but it'll be official soon) the LPO has never lifted the Emergency Powers Act and is using it's expanded influence to crack down on dissidents, the Oxford Grand Circle is at the head of a dissenting faction of the NDM, and they've inducted an heir to one of the biggest UK fortunes/corps and a known subversive affiliated with the Underground.

Already had a major amount work invested in writing up TT that was invalidated when the Tir Taringire sourcebook was released.  It also appears that after some recent news concerning SoE  (see referenced thread below), that the same may be true for the setting I had established in the Balkans for my last campaign. For both of these I had designs on submission after the playtesting was completed.

I actually cowrote almost a full chapter on the Balkans that was never used for SoE, the information is now a little out of date (following what happened at the peacetalks in SOTA64) but the general geopolitics shouldn't be too far off: Microstates, ultranationalist combines, muslim enclaves, etc...
Ophis
Okies so we have an Underground tha may be getting desperate, desperate enough to do something stupid... fun. And I'm glad to see the Pendragon gone I loved the concept, but anyone called Pendragon should attempt something, fail (and die) setting things up for his successor, Arthur traditionally, who will step up and complete the task (often harder and more complicated, for Arthur add defeating Saxons to the uniting Britain Uther tried), this nicely ties to my ideas of an Awakened land(no the land is looking at you) led by a certain facepainted fop.
Synner
QUOTE (Ophis @ Nov 9 2006, 09:29 AM)
And I'm glad to see the Pendragon gone I loved the concept, but anyone called Pendragon should attempt something, fail (and die) setting things up for his successor...

Plus ça change. Good thing some remember their Arthurian mythology, means the stuff I've got planned will have that little extra meaning for you. Now, if I could just remember who was pregnant back in '65 wink.gif...
ChicagosFinest
Yeah but will this new Arthur have the same downfall as the 1st? Adn will he have the knights of the round table and all? Lancealot will probably be Harelequin (I'm calling it now). Holy grail and all that stuff.
Triggerz
So it was Uther, the father, and not Arthur (both Pendragons, right?) that we were dealing with... Interesting! The bad king reproduced and died.

@Fortune: I haven't really read enough on it, so I'm just throwing an idea in there as pure speculation, but you mentioned that, if Harlequin is not Arthur, he's probably tied to him in a big way. Could he be Arthur's wise advisor, good old Merlin? Just a thought... I haven't read enough fluff to know anything about that.
BishopMcQ
It's been years since I went through Harlequin's Back, but in the adventure, one of the stops is in a realm drawing heavily on Arthurian mythology. Wasn't Harley playing the role of Lancelot there?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Synner)
Already had a major amount work invested in writing up TT that was invalidated when the Tir Taringire sourcebook was released.  It also appears that after some recent news concerning SoE  (see referenced thread below), that the same may be true for the setting I had established in the Balkans for my last campaign. For both of these I had designs on submission after the playtesting was completed.

I actually cowrote almost a full chapter on the Balkans that was never used for SoE, the information is now a little out of date (following what happened at the peacetalks in SOTA64) but the general geopolitics shouldn't be too far off: Microstates, ultranationalist combines, muslim enclaves, etc...

...Any chance I might be able to see the "lost chapter" to compare notes? As I mentioned both here and in another thread, I spent a lot of time and research "fleshing out" the region for my last campaign (again since SoE didn't say very much about it). Being somewhat related to the region (bloodline wise) I really liked the idea that it was left "open". I have a historical overview ("written" by one of the major NPCs from my last campaign) going back to just after the Euro War that focuses on Serbia and Croatia.

Before the announcement of SR4's release came out, I was within "millimetres" of submitting both the campaign and the cultural writeup for publication once the playtest was complete.

...so damn bloody close....
ChicagosFinest
You know what?! Don't let it stop you. It's the orient express and not britian. Just look over the stuff about serbia and croatia and try to adapt it to a runners haven style campain setting. Mention the orient express and any ties or other plot devices you might want to include. Just revise and update it to SR4. I'm rooting for you.
Triggerz
QUOTE (McQuillan)
It's been years since I went through Harlequin's Back, but in the adventure, one of the stops is in a realm drawing heavily on Arthurian mythology. Wasn't Harley playing the role of Lancelot there?

Ah! Ok. Cool! Harlequin's Back is an adventure I sadly haven't read. It was bought by a player in my group, but sadly, we never got around to playing it. frown.gif
SL James
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
Well, seems I am not that bright, as I missed the American Critism stuff.

haha

Dude, if it was any more blatant they would have had to use a Bush impersonator.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ChicagosFinest)
You know what?! Don't let it stop you.  It's the orient express and not britian.  Just look over the stuff about serbia and croatia and try to adapt it to a runners haven style campain setting.  Mention the orient express and any ties or other plot devices you might want to include.  Just revise and update it to SR4.  I'm rooting for you.

...yeah, but I still have a bad taste from the whole Tir Taringire source book debacle. I spent months writing up the TT and mapping out Portland. It was like a knee to the groin when the sourcebook came out.

When SR 4 was released while I was finishing up on the Rhapsody arc (Nearly 5 months in development), it was like the entire Chicago Bears defensive line came down on me.

Yeah, they have guidelnes for submission (I downloaded them) but when they keep messing around with things, the notion of working up a setting or run module for publication seems to be a futile gesture.
Ophis
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Ophis @ Nov 9 2006, 09:29 AM)
And I'm glad to see the Pendragon gone I loved the concept, but anyone called Pendragon should attempt something, fail (and die) setting things up for his successor...

Plus ça change. Good thing some remember their Arthurian mythology, means the stuff I've got planned will have that little extra meaning for you. Now, if I could just remember who was pregnant back in '65 wink.gif...

Well I just started thinking Arthur was never called Pendragon, despite that being his family name (though normally he is illigitamate). Now I seem to remeber someone high ranked in Briatin being pregnant, though I seem to remember Spinrad being the father, unless Uther has cuckholded someone else. I think Harliquin would make a better Merlin than Lancelot(who I detest, bloody french add ons...), particularly as he seems to have grown up some in the last couple of decades.

For the record Harlequin was Gawain in the HB stuff as it was based on the celtic stuff, infact most of the tests come straight from Gawain and the Green Knight.

I'm so going to have to write up my version of Lancaster as I seem to be on the same wave length as Synner for some of this.
ChicagosFinest
I dont know... I asked Synner and Frank for a little help to guide me through the process. So far no answer. I understand if there busy but I need to see a solid example of what makes standout SR material. I fear wasting time on somthing only to have a differant path come up, failure and being rejected as much as you do.

Plus I don't want to appear like I'm an SR fanboy geek by copying material that they have plans for or altering a story ach they might have in the works. I want to be an intellegent, proactive, useful writer (IE: Frank Trollman who makes the rules his bitch on a regular basis). The problem is it's by commitee and I dont know how to get information on their open writing calls so I'm clueless.

But I say try anyways b/c its probably like geting babptized by fire. Either you get in or you don't. At least thats my 2 nuyen.gif worth on it
Kyoto Kid
...yeah, a rejection slip is one thing, usually they come with constructive criticism (usually). However, when the work is still in the VAB ready to roll out to the launch pad (yeah, I'm from the days when there was a real space race) and it is rendered obsolete, it really sours one's enthusiasm.
knasser
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Mistwalker @ Nov 8 2006, 07:51 PM)

haha

Dude, if it was any more blatant they would have had to use a Bush impersonator.

Perhaps you see that as an american. But all of the accusations can be applied to Tony Blair's Britain too. Our countries have (sadly) followed each other very closely in the last few years as far as political developments are concerned. I guess the film is a criticism of any people that slide into totalitarianism out of fear.

For what it's worth, I had low expectations of the film and really enjoyed it. It simplified some parts of the book, grafted on a naff love-story which weakened the character, but added some things and kept the essential message. Worth watching and I think V is an excellent model for Harlequin. Subversive, intelligent and revelling in the drama of it all. But then I've always had a very dark take on Harlequin.

If you want Pendragon to be Harlequin (and I like the idea), but can't reconcile his implied defeat / missingness with H.'s power, perhaps the revolution has just been heavily infiltrated and he's spreading disinformation. Maybe the general mass of them thinks Pendragon is missing, but he's still pulling the strings from behind the scenes... or arranging his dominoes. wink.gif
FrankTrollman
Moved.
Synner
Frank's proposal is quite appropriate for a rulebook, though more than a little ambitious for a first time proposal. Sourcebooks and even mixed-format books (like the SOTAs) have different requisites.

I think I'll start a different thread where I'll post the standard reply mail I put together a while back for people who asked me how I got started and what pointers I could offer to help them get a foot in the door. If anyone has questions post there and let's get this thread back on track.
Grinder
Sweeet! smile.gif

Can't wait for that. smile.gif
ChicagosFinest
Make sure you let us "wannabes" know where your posting it up. biggrin.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Already had a major amount work invested in writing up TT that was invalidated when the Tir Taringire sourcebook was released.  It also appears that after some recent news concerning SoE (see referenced thread below), that the same may be true for the setting I had established in the Balkans for my last campaign.  For both of these I had designs on submission after the playtesting was completed.

...tried to embed a link to another post using a simple name, but couldn't figure it out how to do it without copying the entire address verbatim - Basically, refer to the last post to Shadowrun on the Orient Express thread on the Shadowrun forum.

I actually cowrote almost a full chapter on the Balkans that was never used for [i]SoE, the information is now a little out of date (following what happened at the peacetalks in SOTA64) but the general geopolitics shouldn't be too far off: Microstates, ultranationalist combines, muslim enclaves, etc...

I do believe he's refering to this thread about the Orient Express where I pointed him towards the map of the Balkans from the Italy chapter of SoE since it's one of the few pieces of information so far. Are you still planning on trying to submit your ideas some time or are you free to talk about them now? Kept schtum on the general bits you mentioned just in case since I wasn't sure how much you'd want even that spread about if you were.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...yeah, a rejection slip is one thing, usually they come with constructive criticism (usually). However, when the work is still in the VAB ready to roll out to the launch pad (yeah, I'm from the days when there was a real space race) and it is rendered obsolete, it really sours one's enthusiasm.

Tir Tairngire was released in what ... 93? 94? That's a long time to hold onto a grudge. Especially when the problem could have been avoided altogether by contacting FASA or sending in a proposal, upon which you would have been informed that the topic was already being covered at that time.
Fortune
QUOTE (Ophis)
I think Harliquin would make a better Merlin than Lancelot

I definitely agree with that, and would have been my next guess if it turns out that Harley was not Arthur himself.
Synner
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Nov 9 2006, 11:30 PM)
Are you still planning on trying to submit your ideas some time or are you free to talk about them now? Kept schtum on the general bits you mentioned just in case since I wasn't sure how much you'd want even that spread about if you were.

With the shift to SR4/2070, it's unlikely the material will ever be used so feel free. I will note that while the maps in SoE are based on the unpublished material, the actual ideas are not binding since they remain unofficial. If we ever get back to the region in canon, I'll likely be submitting material based the stuff I co-wrote with Humberto Fonseca but with the 5 year leap a lot could change (though Runner Havens suggests that the big picture hasn't).

As always, feel free to dump canon when it doesn't suit your game and story. ;)

Flak - If you want to use the basic outlines I gave you on the Wiki feel free (though I'd add a note that though it's by the SoE authors its unofficial). I just don't have the time right now to dig them up.

Other thread now up.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Nov 10 2006, 06:39 AM)
...yeah, a rejection slip is one thing, usually they come with constructive criticism (usually).  However, when the work is still in the VAB ready to roll out to the launch pad (yeah, I'm from the days when there was a real space race) and it is rendered obsolete,  it really sours one's enthusiasm.

Tir Tairngire was released in what ... 93? 94? That's a long time to hold onto a grudge. Especially when the problem could have been avoided altogether by contacting FASA or sending in a proposal, upon which you would have been informed that the topic was already being covered at that time.

...not really a grudge against FASA as it was just very bad timing. The sourcebook came out when I was just past mid campaign. Too many things to retro engineer, so I basically abandoned Portland altogether & moved the action north.

I have downloaded FanPro's new submission guidelines, and being able to stay on top of things relating to SR (such as via this forum), makes it simpler to consider future projects that follow closer to the setting at hand.
Fortune
I could see Excaliber being found by some unnamed (and at the time unknown) person, who then fell under the influence of the Sword (or an outside group), maybe even brainwashed into thinking that he needed to fulfill his destiny as the Land's new savior.

I admit that, although I know my Arthur Legends, didn't put too much stock into the relationship (if any) between Harley and a Pendragon that wasn't associated with him directly. Bad me!

I did consider the 'Gwen Issue', but my thinking was more along the lines that Frosty would fit that bill quite nicely next to Harley's Arthur. I also think that'd really tweak Ehran's short-n-curlies.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
The sourcebook came out when I was just past mid campaign. Too many things to retro engineer, so I basically abandoned Portland altogether & moved the action north.

I just wish that FASA/FanPro chose to flesh out the Toronto/Hamilton (where I used to live) area. I wouldn't care what they did to it ... I just wanted to see something done. Of course, what ended up being done with Sydney (my latest bedroom) could have been better, but I'm happy enough with something about it being in print that I don't bitch about it.
FrankTrollman
I just wish that FASA/FanPro chose to flesh out the Toronto/Hamilton (where I used to live) area. I wouldn't care what they did to it ... I just wanted to see something done.

As a longtime resident of California, I can only say: be careful what you wish for.

-Frank
SL James
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 9 2006, 11:46 AM)

haha

Perhaps you see that as an american.

I see it as American because that's what the Wachowskis fucking said.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (knasser @ Nov 9 2006, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Nov 9 2006, 11:46 AM)

haha

Perhaps you see that as an american.

I see it as American because that's what the Wachowskis fucking said.

They said they wrote the Matrix trilogy. You gonna believe everything those assholes say?

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012