Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wards and Barriers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fortune
So I have a question concerning the placement of Wards.

Let's say Dumpster Danny the Rat Shaman has his Force 5 Magical Lodge set up in the dining area of the condemned restaurant in which he is currently squatting. This Lodge acts as a Force 5 Dual Natured Barrier. He would like to also set up a Force 8 Ward (let's say he wants a Polarized Ward biggrin.gif) using the dimentions of the entire former restaurant itself, basically surrounding the Lodge's Barrier, but not using any of the same walls as anchors.

Can he do this?
TonkaTuff
Reading through the rules, I think the answer would be "no, unless you houserule it". The walls of the ward are the functional heart of the structure, but I believe the "ward" includes the portion of astral real estate contained inside the walls. Which would explain the prohibition against both layering and overlapping (SM, p. 124). I think that's also probably be why the examples given in the Core and Street Magic mention setting them up as a gauntlet - a series of smaller wards that abut each other from the outside and together form the shape you want, not nested like Russian dolls. There's a bit more from the horse's mouth here. Though I suppose it's not an "official" official ruling, so take it as you will.

kzt
Technically it says you can't layer wards. A lodge isn't a ward, it's another type of astral barrier. As the ward rules that appeared in print is SM are not exactly clearly and concisely saying what the writer intended I'm not sure what the intent was for this situation.
Fortune
QUOTE (kzt)
Technically it says you can't layer wards. A lodge isn't a ward, it's another type of astral barrier. As the ward rules that appeared in print is SM are not exactly clearly and concisely saying what the writer intended I'm not sure what the intent was for this situation.

Yeah, that's my problem. If you cannot set up a Magical Lodge (or other non-Ward Barrier) inside a Ward of any kind, then that severely limits both the number and type of locations where one can be used.

Oh, and I appreciate the link, TonkaTuff. Thanks.
Cold-Dragon
Odd, I recall reading that you couldn't make contact between wards as the rule - as in you can't overlap boundary lines, but if one of the said wards/barriers stays completely within or outside without touching, it was legal.

So you couldn't take two astral barriar walls and cross them ( + ) but (if you really want to drain the power from yourself) You could make 4 separate walls that don't connect at the center to make the shape ( + ).

But I could have read wrong..guess it's time to look up again.
Jaid
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
Odd, I recall reading that you couldn't make contact between wards as the rule - as in you can't overlap boundary lines, but if one of the said wards/barriers stays completely within or outside without touching, it was legal.

So you couldn't take two astral barriar walls and cross them ( + ) but (if you really want to drain the power from yourself) You could make 4 separate walls that don't connect at the center to make the shape ( + ).

But I could have read wrong..guess it's time to look up again.

basically, they can't overlap. so, in fact, you could do your little + sign.

in fact, you could do it with only three lines, really.

you could also make a box where only a 1 yard hollow square is warded, with another ward inside; so long as the wards do not both ward any of the same area, it is allowed. (or such is my understanding)
Cold-Dragon
I just found the quote Fortune mentioned earlier, To quote it fully, it says:

"Wards cannot be layered or overlap in the same area of astral space"

A comment about wards not having to be a literal part of the ward, but at least inside it, and the example of making a magical gauntlet for intruders narrows down the meaning to be almost exactly what you say about the ward within a ward.

Granted, all wards/barriers are essentially hollow, So you could perform the stacking cups bit so long as your smallest cup fits within the barrier size limit.

Whew! For a minute I thought I had missed something! ^-^;
kzt
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
Granted, all wards/barriers are essentially hollow, So you could perform the stacking cups bit so long as your smallest cup fits within the barrier size limit.

IIRC, if it isn't a single ward that encloses an area you can use astral infiltration to slip around them.

Which is why I've assume that people who do really secure magical defenses for a living have ritual techniques that are different that the standard book version, so you can make much larger wards. That's why people hire them and pay them the big bucks.
Wakshaani
Teh best way to think of a Ward is not as a wall, but as a Gelatinous Cube, strangely enough.

Can't put a Cube inside a Cube, can't put a Ward inside a Ward. They'll "Jam" each other and make the weaker one collapse.

You can put 'em adjacent, as long as they don't touch.

For example, you have an underground research area and you want one section *really* secure, so, you make a 60 meter long hallway to teh big storage vault. The non-hallway parts are Mother Earth, so, no mage is gonna flit through there (At least easily) ... The Hallway, meanwhile, has three wards, one after another, each protecting 20 meters of teh hall. Once the first 20 meter thick cube is overcome, BONK! ... you hit the second. If you can cut through it ... BONK! Third one! Arg!

That should help lots. smile.gif
toturi
If you cannot put a ward within another ward, then do it this way:

Create 6 1m-thick warded spaces corresponding to the sides of the space you want to ward. You can put whatever you wish within these 6 spaces - maybe some Awakened plants. Then ward the interior space.
Fortune
See, everyone is using the word 'Ward'. The problem is that a Magical Lodge is not a Ward. It is considered a Barrier. I can't recall anything in the rules that specifically prohibits a Barrier from being erected within the confines of a Ward.
kzt
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 26 2006, 07:18 AM)
I can't recall anything in the rules that specifically prohibits a Barrier from being errected within the confines of a Ward.

Given that there is no mention of the issue at all in SM I can understand why you can't recall it. . .
Fortune
Well, at least I'm not as senile as I thought.

So then why is everyone so dead sure that this cannot be done?
kzt
QUOTE (Fortune)
Well, at least I'm not as senile as I thought.

So then why is everyone so dead sure that this cannot be done?

I'm not. I wish the rules were better worded and actually reflected the intent of the guy writing them, but as written now it looks legit.
Cold-Dragon
The simplest answer would be that it's to insure some stability is presuming 'anything' that involves creating magical walls, be it 'barrier', ward, mana lodge, etc are treated the same As far as interacting goes. Can you have two Lodges cross eachother? If someone is holding some sort of barrier in the path you want for your ward, will you be unable to create it until they move, or will you still manage despite if it's only temporary?

I was always under the impression the barrier from a lodge/circle/whatever is basically a built in feature of creating a domain for yourself - you essentially built the ward while making the rest of it. A mana/phys barrier is essentially a ward without the permanent attributes required and is supplied with energy from yourself.

I'm not sure where we keep getting the gelatinous cube bit from - I haven't been yelled out for saying hollow yet! Usually I get someone's attention that's direct enough to try and cut me up for things like that (Not that Kzt did that, he just reminded me of it).
Fortune
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon @ Nov 27 2006, 09:01 AM)
The simplest answer would be that it's to insure some stability is presuming 'anything' that involves creating magical walls, be it 'barrier', ward, mana lodge, etc are treated the same As far as interacting goes.

The thing is that Street Magic goes to some length to differentiate between Wards and Barriers, and then goes on to talk about the interaction restrictions only in relation to Wards themselves.
Mistwalker
I would keep wards and barriers seperate.
You can have barriers inside of a ward.

Otherwise you start getting into the sticky situation where some spells work and some don't (try and cast mana or physical barrier inside a warded area). Too much of a headache to do it any other way.

So, my 2 cents worth, you can have a lodge inside of a warded area.
Cold-Dragon
I didn't find it, but I haven't had the time to do a fully thorough look through both books....but where are these stated differences? ^-^;
Jaid
it should be fairly obvious that there are fairly significant differences between the two, mechanically speaking. do you really need a specific place where it says they are different? i mean, i figure just the fact that they work in different ways should say something.

anyways, i can't really say it would bother me to have someone put a lodge inside a ward, or vice versa. frankly, the lodge is gonna be a better barrier anyways most likely, and lasts indefinitely.
Fortune
QUOTE (SR4-pg. 185)
Magic can be used to create mana barriers on the physical or astral planes, and sometimes dual-natured barriers that exist on both. These barriers are created as spells (physical or astral), magical lodges (dual barriers), and wards (dual barriers).

It goes on to describe each of these in their own seperate section.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012