Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vampires
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
spotlite
Question about vampires, just to clarify something that's always bugged me:

They get Enhanced Physical Attributes. but it doesn't specify. Do I have that right? that's all of them? With no time limit on it? All the time?

And if some of them have magical skills, that means that have magic ratings of up to twelve without even starting to factor initiate grades?

And they only lose a point per month? So they only need to feed that often?

I rarely use them in games because frankly, I hate vampires generally. Like Banshees, Bandersnatches, Ghouls, just never really interested in frock coats with teeth!

But is this right? If they only need to feed every month or so a small neighbourhood could support quite a few of them without too much bother and quite possibly without anyone noticing if even one of these things has magical skills, or worse, a tech wiz and a PAB reprogrammer. If I've got this right then SWEET BUDDHA these things are tough!
Diesel
Which is why everyone [me at least] modifies the fanged fuckers into something that better have a Fruitfucker 5000 juicer set to "cannibal" if they want to go the night. I like hungry goth role-models, personally.
Tanka
Yes, Enhanced Physical Attributes are on all the time.

No, their Magic Rating does not go up with Essence. Down I'm not sure of. Never had a PC Vampire with any magical abilities.

Yes, they only lose one point of Essence per month. Yes, that means they really only have to feed once per month (once they hit the magical number of 12).

Beware, though. Some Vampires only get certain attributes for EPA. Dzoo-Noo-Qua (Trolls) only get Strength for it. Double check Critters to be sure who gets what.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (spotlite)
They get Enhanced Physical Attributes. but it doesn't specify. Do I have that right? that's all of them? With no time limit on it? All the time?

Ignoring the aforementioned fruit sodomy, yes, they get the bonus from the essence to their physical atrributes all the time. Hence why there are probably all those legends about their superhuman feats. IIRC, some people even mentioned that they extended the boost to all attributes in their games, both physical and mental. Now that would be scary. smile.gif

And if some of them have magical skills, that means that have magic ratings of up to twelve without even starting to factor initiate grades?

This came up in another thread a few days back. You can find it here. I've always found the floating method I mentioned to be a good one. Personally I say they don't get a bonus to their magic rating, they have to initiate like everyone else.

If I've got this right then SWEET BUDDHA these things are tough!

Exactly. The perfect people to throw at a player group if you want a challenge. biggrin.gif
mfb
no. if you want a challenge, invest the vampire with a bug. *shudder*
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)
no. if you want a challenge, invest the vampire with a bug. *shudder*

Or a Free Spirit's hidden life. *Bigger shudder*
Abstruse
One thing I like about Shadowrun vampires is that they're not like the pansy Louis and Lestat, V:TM vampires. They're more like the bloodsuckers from old mythology. Think Dracula, think Jerry Dandredge from Fright Night...monsters with superhuman strength, supernatural abilities, and a thirst for both your blood and your soul.

The Abstruse One
Siege
You mean like VtM vamps? It's more a function of how the vamps are played and less an issue of the mechanical system.

I'm sure if you turned an angst-ridden goth junkie loose on a SR vamp, he'd be wearing tacky mascara, wailing annoying angst in eardrum rending poetry and cheerfully exterminated at measure by the other players.

Not the characters, the players...

-Siege
Adarael
Best picture in any Shadowrun book?
"A pair of gangers prepare to shed some light on the world of darkness."

Also: SR vamps and the Sabbat could have a pretty good brawl fest.
spotlite
OK, I've read the thoughts on magic rating on the other thread and given my opinion there. But I've thought of something else now, and that's regeneration.

I use a bloodpoint system (the ONLY thing I liked about the white wold rules system. Its not an attack, but I'm making the point I really don't play Vampire), where they heal boxes of damage with essence points. That means that if they take a bad hit they're going to get up HUNGRY. Of course, they'll also be much lower powered, which gives the player character a chance in the inevitable frenzied close combat which follows.

Whether you agree with/like that system or not, I'm interested in how you guys handle regeneration in vampires. Major systemic damage raises the chance for a one or a two in 1d6 (I had a GM abuse this horribly, recently. We took down a vamp, took its head off from the shoulders with a viper flechette gun while it was down, and then hacked the remains completely off with vibro blades. but the vamp got up cos it rolled a 5. Rules accurate, but taking the piss a bit I thought. I digress.).

So, back to Vampires and Magic - if a Vampire takes magical damage (weapon focus, drain - physical or stun - a manabolt which doesn't kill it etc etc), do they regen at the same rate? Or is it an injury which must be healed naturally as per normal rules?

Since I use the blood point system for all damage it really doesn't make a lot of difference. The damn things are much easier to take down in my games (what can I say? I just enjoy seeing the suckers dust!) anyway. But I'd be interested to hear what you think.
My GM does something similar with PC vampires in my game, thank god.

The things that don't make me say that guy is a drekkin' munchin, super power is number one I don't like to get all uppity with the other players. Second it was a pre-generated someone elses player (The player left the group before I joined, and this NEW guy took over the bitch(i.e. said super vampire)). What basicly makes me fine is said super character is played by new player who doesn't know much about the rules or anything much in shadowrun so he doesn't play his character as the super bad-ass the character could in all reality be.

I'm fine with this because if she becomes super bad-hooped then we will have to go against even more super bad-hooped enemies that we are already going after (I currently don't like that the GM always seems to be rolling over a dozen dice for everything. This is a beginning game (i.e., four out of five characters where just generated for this run or the run before it.)

Okay maybe the GM is just trying to tell us we aren't suppose to get into a fight all the time. Which I kinda like, because I hate GMs that allow Shadowrunners to walk all over Corporations like they got nothing(They are Multi-Multi extreme money Corporations don't forgot.)

::Looks at the actual topic and says something about how he didn't stay to much to form, then shrugs::
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012