Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Online gaming question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Moon-Hawk
I'm running an online game soon (sorry, not recruiting), and I'm looking for a good program so that we can have a conference call running between everyone.
Skype was my best idea, but it only supports 5 channels (I need 7)
Ideas? Preferably free solutions.
Thanks!
Ophis
Quietly eliminate two of your group? Hey if you do it your self it's free...

Maybe I've been spending too much time here...
Moon-Hawk
You know what? I'm an ass. I checked skype's website very recently, and I couldn't do more than 5-way conferencing. And now skype 2.6 beta supports up to 10, and the current version supports it if one person has an intel core 2 duo.
I hope someone finds this useful.
Um, we can still talk about alternatives, though. Maybe we can wring some usefulness out of this thread yet.
eidolon
Ventrillo works okay, although it has a minimum .5 second delay between you talking and them hearing you (I think it's .5).

Adam
Teamspeak could also handle it, although Skype is much sexier.
Moon-Hawk
Given that any of those three would work, is there any reason you'd recommend one over the others? Or just Skype, on account of extreme sexiness?
eidolon
Can't speak to that. I've only used Vent. Given equal audio quality and price (free), I'd go for the one that's the easiest to set up and that consumes the lowest system resources.
Moon-Hawk
I've heard that Ventrilo is really good regarding system resources, but not so hot when it comes to ease of setup. Any comment on that?
Adam
Bear in mind that I haven't used Skype for anything but talking 1 on 1 with people, and I've only used Teamspeak for playing MMOs and being interviewed for podcasts, but Skype has more features that might be useful [such as the text-chat window and file-sharing features]. However, it also uses more resources, and I've never tested how well it works with multi-person chats.

Also, Teamspeak does require a server, and I'm really not sure what the logistics are to set one up, while Skype is P2P.
eidolon
Well, the server can be a bit wonky when you run it behind a router. There's instructions for setting it up, but it's a bit technical unless you're used to that sort of thing.

So yeah, for the person setting up and running the server, it can be a bit of work. (And I should mention that we never had to actually do it, we use a public server.)

For the person just using the client and talking over it, it's not "sexy" but it's not hard to do. You just set up the server connection, pick a name, and connect. The options for controlling outbound and inbound volumes, noise control, etc. are really nice. (Just the delay that bugs me, but I don't know if that's in all voip, so I can't say whether it would be a deal breaker.)
Moon-Hawk
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I appreciate it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012