Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RPGs for Kids
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
James McMurray
I picked up the Marvel Superhero RPG for cheap from my local game store a little while back. My son (5) found it and started reading it. Today we played our first learn-to-play session. Spiderman successfully stopped a mugging and prevented Scorpion from rampaging through a hospital.

My son has a character sheet now. I'm such a proud Papa! biggrin.gif
dog_xinu
congrats!!

my nephew sees us playing and wants to play. He is 5. Mom and Dad said he can not play until later (he is older). He gets to sit and watch. He also likes to play WoW (world of warcraft). He gets only to help his uncle play (or his dad). My nephew's dad and I got him his own dice. They are very very large. He rolls them and "plays" games on his own.

I figure when he hits about 8 I can get him into RPGs and the parents wont object too much....

dog
Black Jack Rackham
We play every Sunday (except for today cause for some damn reason or other, my players seem to think Xmas Eve is exempt from playing), and when we are at my house, my son (5 year old) comes upstairs to watch then grabs a die (as per dad's instructions) roles it and, without looking at the result, announces in a loud and clear voice, 'Everyone Dies!'

*Sniffle*
Brings a tear to the old man's eye every time I tell that story.
Mark
RunnerPaul
Was it the original Marvel RPG, the one by TSR that used opposed d100 rolls and a single chart to resolve anything in the system? That one was especially kid friendly.

I've also found that kids can grok the Toon system like it was second nature to them.
warrior_allanon
my GM lets his 7 year old play in the D&D game he also runs, he's not mature enough for our SR game yet, but they also play HeroQuest all the time
James McMurray
Yeah, the TSR version. I didn't pick it up because of how kid friendly it is, but it's definitely great for him.
James McMurray
Sniffle! It's even better!

Instead of playing Spider-man for Day of the Octopus he opted to make his own character. "Spark Everest" electro-zapping, street healing, gravity thief. smile.gif
Fortune
That's too cool. smile.gif
nezumi
My little boy can stuff eight d6's in his mouth and is learning to say "botch!" when appropriate.

My second boy mostly just punches himself in the head at this point. But we still have hope for him.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Black Jack Rackham)
We play every Sunday (except for today cause for some damn reason or other, my players seem to think Xmas Eve is exempt from playing), and when we are at my house, my son (5 year old) comes upstairs to watch then grabs a die (as per dad's instructions) roles it and, without looking at the result, announces in a loud and clear voice, 'Everyone Dies!'

*Sniffle*
Brings a tear to the old man's eye every time I tell that story.
Mark

That was....beautiful, man. Just beautiful.
knasser

*sigh* This thread is just so heart warming. It makes me want kids of my own, just for the first time they say "Ex-Ex". No seriously, it does. smile.gif

But why does everyone have five year olds? Was there a derth of Shadowrun books published in 2000/1 or something?
James McMurray
He used resource points to create gear yesterday (big remote controlled bombs with ears on them called Bomb Listeners). He also used karma to increase his agility so he'll be better with his electro-zapper.

My baby is "levelling up".

Dangit! Where's a cry emote when you need one? smile.gif
Tiger Eyes
My daughter (who is 5...snicker) thinks role-playing games center around princesses. But, then again, she believes the SR4 "Gunslinger Adept" is a princess, so there is hope. Every game needs a princess like that, right? wink.gif

I just worry when she roles a handful of dice and points to her little brother and says, "Role your body".
James McMurray
That's priceless! biggrin.gif
Wounded Ronin
Hero Quest probably rocks for kids. There's a minimum amount of abstraction due to the presence of minis.

The only problem with Hero Quest is that there's no cannon way to resurrect dead heroes. So if the Barbarian bites it 1/4 of the way through all the quests because a 6 year old was at the wheel the entire party is sort of screwed.

Also, once you've bought all the gear the rest of the gold you find is kind of pointless.
eidolon
Hero Quest is great for the fact that it's so easy to house rule. You could come up with a way to add resurrection to it, maybe by just spending gold for it or something, since as you note gold becomes pretty pointless otherwise.

Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (eidolon)
Hero Quest is great for the fact that it's so easy to house rule. You could come up with a way to add resurrection to it, maybe by just spending gold for it or something, since as you note gold becomes pretty pointless otherwise.

See, I've actually been thinking about this, ways to spend gold.

Does it ever specifically say in the rules that the heroes get their hitpoints back between adventures? In the video game version of hero quest, which was super-literal to the the rules to the point of not even allowing the PCs to pool gold, I don't believe that the PCs got their hitpoints back between missions.

Maybe you could set up a rule which says that to regain your hitpoints between missions you have to spend money. Otherwise it's assumed that your character just camps out and doesn't regain health. We could even make a chart:

Between-adventures luxuries:
*Common room at the inn - 1 coin, restore 1 HP
*Private room at the inn - 2 coins, restore 2 HP
*Watered down ale - 1 coin, restore 1 HP
*Honeyed mead - 2 coins, restore 2 HP
*Aristocratic wine - 3 coins, restore 4 HP
*Dwarven scotch - 4 coins, restore 6 HP

Note how I promote realistic role-playing by making the tasty booze a better "deal" for hitpoint recovery than sensible purchases like a room at the inn. The characters, if they have enough money in the first place, are more likely to blow their gold on strong spirits with this chart.

Food: (also, if the PCs do not spend any money on food between adventures they lose 1 hitpoint as a penalty)
*Carbohydrate-rich medieval meals (like oatmeal) - 1 coin, restore 1 HP
*Protein-rich medieval meals (red meat and fowl, which is aristocratic fare) - 2 coins, restore 2 HP, to represent how the protein boosts your immune system and helps your body restore damaged muscle tissue
*Iron rations (unlike the "fresh" meals, these may be bought in advance and stored for consumption between future missions, which simplifies bookkeeping) - 1 coin, restores 0 HP since it's nasty mouldy hardtack and salted dry strips of fish, but you won't lose 1 HP for not eating)

For adults only:
*WHORES AND ALE!!!!! - 5 coins (roll the dice. If the hero rolls a hit his hitpoints are fully restored, including any loss from not eating, since he'd be eating something else. If he doesn't roll a hit he loses half of his current hitpoints.)
eidolon
QUOTE (WR)
Note how I promote realistic role-playing by making the tasty booze a better "deal" for hitpoint recovery than sensible purchases like a room at the inn.

biggrin.gif

Nice.
Moon-Hawk
Hero Quest was great. I had the Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord expansions. I was 10 at the time. I remember because that's the year it came out in the states, and I remember the commercials and I remember begging my parents to get it for me as soon as possible. And I remember getting it for Christmas, so it must've been that year.
I played with a few people, but by far the most memorable was just playing one-on-one with my dad. It was my introduction to GMing, and my dad played all 4 heroes. He even did a little bit of characterization. For example, when he would split up the party he would give them character reasons like the elf and the dwarf don't get along, not just pure mechanical reasons.
Definitely one of those things I'm going to remember forever.
It costs easily twice retail on e-bay, but if you're looking for some gaming to do with young kids it's worth every penny.
eidolon
With kids? smile.gif Heck, I ran the first few adventures for my old group of decidedly seasoned, adult (although not quite as decidedly) roleplayers as recently as last year.

I know about the cost all too well though. I'm still working on picking up the expansions, which routinely go for upwards of $50 on Ebay and BGG.
James McMurray
Someone somewhere (sorry I can't link) told me that the adventures for Hero Quest are all downloadable for free through the maker (Hasbro?).
eidolon
That might be worth checking into. Honestly though, even with the adventures I'd still want the bits.
James McMurray
True. Especially if playing with kids (or gamer geeks smile.gif )
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Someone somewhere (sorry I can't link) told me that the adventures for Hero Quest are all downloadable for free through the maker (Hasbro?).

I don't know about any PDFs, but the old Hero Quest computer game, playable on a DOS emulator, is a direct translation of the original adventures into video game format. The maps and the text descriptions are exactly the same.

The interface actually sucks because it's annoyingly slow if you want to control all the heroes yourself instead of playing hotseat with other people, and there's certain issues with transitioning to different parts of the map, but at least everything is all there presented exactly as it was in the box set.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012