Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [RL] the decay of modern morality
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
mfb
Seoul is neck-and-neck with Thailand as the hooker capital of the world, a trend that the ROK gummint is apparently trying to reverse. the striking thing about isn't what they're trying to accomplish, it's how they're trying to accomplish it. people aren't buying into the moral or even health arguments, so the ROK has resorted to offering prizes for not paying for sex.

news like this always weirds me out. not that i have any problem with prostitutes myself (some of my best friends are prostitutes!), but i somehow expect the rest of the world to, y'know, disagree with me. and when they do disagree with me, i'm expecting them to take the moral high ground--not turn it into a lottery.
SL James
The ministry is offering movie tickets based on the number of employees who pledge not to visit prostitutes as well as a cash prize of 1 million won ($1,077) for the company which enlists the most employees in the campaign.

Only a thousand bucks? To the employer? Yeah, that'll knock this right off.
Snow_Fox
I'm just surprised it's in a well developed nation like Korea.
mfb
well, there's developed and then there's developed. the ROK's going through puberty, right now. lots of zits, hair sprouting in funny places, etcetera. their economy has exploded so quickly that there hasn't been time for them to figure out how to keep a lid on the crime that comes with it.
James McMurray
So if I opt not to go to a hooker my boss might win $1000 and some movie tickets? Whose bright idea was that?
Moon-Hawk
Minor correction. If you "pledge" not to go to a hooker your boss might win. This has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you actually visit a hooker.
SL James
Making it as useful as an asbtinence pledge. And we all know how successful those have been.
Moon-Hawk
So here's how this is really going to work:

Boss: Hey, I want cash, everybody sign this.
Everybody: Whatever. <signs, goes and visits hookers>
-later-
Boss: Hey, I won cash! Hookers for everybody!
Everybody: <goes and visits hookers>

That sound about right?
knasser
QUOTE (SL James)
Making it as useful as an asbtinence pledge. And we all know how successful those have been.

Well, it's a cheap way for the government to generate a lot of publicity for the campaign. It could make people think about their actions. It might even have some effect.

It doesn't look as though this is going to cost anything so don't knock it as an entirely stupid idea.
SL James
It's entirely stupid because the campaign makes any concern over the issue seem trivial at best. This is the kind of message that Fanpro would think makes sense politically... Which in the real world means it's actually counterproductive.

Which is exactly what the message is compared to the intent.
knasser

I broadly agree with you actually. (Not necessarily the Fanpro parts). I just thought it was worth pointing out that people should think about this more before just laughing at it. Saying that it's stupid because it trivialises the issue is valid. Saying it's stupid because people don't have to honour their pledge neglects some potential positive aspects.

I don't know the culture or the general attitude to prostitution over there so I don't know quite how it will be received.

-K.
mfb
the reaction will be split into two camps. most people will find the idea pretty funny. the old farmers who visit Seoul once or twice a year as a vacation will be like "my god, there are prostitutes in Korea!?"
hyzmarca
A better solution would be mandatory chastity belts for everyone in the country with the only keys being in the possession of the government. Those who want to have sexual intercourse must fill out all the proper forms, provide valid ID along with a marriage certificate. The act must be performed within a government office under the supervision of a government inspector. The use of condoms will be enforced unless they have permission to concieve, which is even more paper work and a great deal of red tape.

Really, preventing sexual immorality is very simple. I don't understand who these policies are not more common.
Wounded Ronin
I wish I had friends who were prostitutes. That way I'd be able to make a graph representing how many men claim to have used a donkey punch versus how many actually have.
Kesslan
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
A better solution would be mandatory chastity belts for everyone in the country with the only keys being in the possession of the government. Those who want to have sexual intercourse must fill out all the proper forms, provide valid ID along with a marriage certificate. The act must be performed within a government office under the supervision of a government inspector. The use of condoms will be enforced unless they have permission to concieve, which is even more paper work and a great deal of red tape.

Really, preventing sexual immorality is very simple. I don't understand who these policies are not more common.

Nah you'd have tons of people cutting off the chastity belts just to get it on
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Kesslan)
Nah you'd have tons of people cutting off the chastity belts just to get it on

Chastity bomb belts then. Cut the wrong wire and kaboom.
Kesslan
How would you tell the terrorist attacks appart from people causing an appartment to explode just cause they wanted to have sex?
hyzmarca
Sex is terrorism. That is precisely why it must be controlled.
Kesslan
Well then it would probably be easier and cheaper just to basically spay/neuter all citizens. Store their genetic material, and then if they ever get a lisence to procreate they get to have a test tube baby.
Kagetenshi
We can't do that, that would be inhuman. The chastity belt-bomb is the only ethical solution.

~J
Kesslan
Nonsense! My ideas will simply lead to a new age utopia! That or the eventual extinction of the entire human race should all the cloning facilities manage to fail in a very brief period of time.
hyzmarca
Well, you only have to do it for one generation; after that they'll all have been indoctrinated in extreme anti-sex propaganda.

Eeewww, disgusting! You mean... fluid transfer?
Kesslan
I'm pretty sure you'd actually have to do it over 2 or 3 generations actually. After that it would definately become rather rooted.

Makes me wonder how exactly they pulled all that crap (by fluff) in Demolition Man. Though given the movie itself.. it likely didnt actually have any real thought behind it. Just a 'wow this would be so cool!'
hyzmarca
In that scene Huxley lists a number of fictional STDs which are (presumably) worse than HIV. It is quite possible that the ban on sex began as a emergency medical precaution which people accepted because of an absurdly high risk of a horrific death within a few weeks of an illicit sexual encounter. Those who did have sex during this time simply died off due to the plague. However, even after the STD plague ran its course the sexual ban remained in place as a precautionary measure and children were indoctrinated in a culture that feared sex as being more dangerous than walking out onto an bombing range during a nuclear weapons test. It is quite possible that most people of Huxley's age had relatives and even parents who died due to STDs and thus personal experience to back up the government propaganda.

It isn't too unbelievable. At least it isn't unbelievable compared to the NAN (which can be explained with some effort) or a future where militant feminists have outlawed the male gender (as in some dystopian works that I shall not mention by name).

What really has to be explained is how Cocteau gained dictatorial power in the SanAngelas metroplex without concern for state or national powers. I can only assume that the US fell and California broke up into individual city-states, but that would promote more violence, not less.
Kesslan
Well the movie itself tends to support chaos in general being rampant. As it was just that one city.

Cocteau also seemed to me to be the type that would likely back some sort of military coup or something in the 'name of peace' to establish his perfect new world order.

Which effectively worked until lhe was killed.
mfb
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Sex is terrorism. That is precisely why it must be controlled.

given the rate at which stupid people are reproducing, i can't disagree with this.
SL James
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
What really has to be explained is how Cocteau gained dictatorial power in the SanAngelas metroplex without concern for state or national powers. I can only assume that the US fell and California broke up into individual city-states, but that would promote more violence, not less.

Never underestimate the power of hope and that of a monopoly on control of those people who are necessary for a government and a society to exist, let alone function.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Kesslan)
Well then it would probably be easier and cheaper just to basically spay/neuter all citizens. Store their genetic material, and then if they ever get a lisence to procreate they get to have a test tube baby.

Owa?
Sicarius
In fairness to the South Korean government, the way I read the story, they were specificly seeking to discourage the practice of using hookers at company office parties I think. (based on my reading of the same story.) So that's why the incentive is for the company/boss, and not the employers/johns.
Lindt
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 29 2006, 12:54 AM)

Owa?

Wow, way to be hard line.
Though admitedly Im all in favor of removing all the stupid people, Id rather let natural selection do its thing.
SL James
Natural selection sucks. It allows stupid people to cause smart people to die sooner from heart disease, heart attacks and strokes.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)

I know. What with Totalitarianism having always been so popular with the masses.
Kagetenshi
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that last was not sarcastic.

~J
Kesslan
QUOTE (Lindt)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Dec 29 2006, 10:07 AM)
QUOTE (Kesslan @ Dec 29 2006, 12:54 AM)

Owa?

Wow, way to be hard line.
Though admitedly Im all in favor of removing all the stupid people, Id rather let natural selection do its thing.

Hey, if your going to do it, why stop at half measures? Go all the way as long as it still furthers your ultimate goals.

I mean if your going to torture someone to death, nothing is too extreme.

If you only want to torture them as a lesson or for information and have them survive afterwards well then obviously you want to limit yourself to methods that will not cause their untimely demise.
knasser
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 30 2006, 01:38 AM)
Natural selection sucks. It allows stupid people to cause smart people to die sooner from heart disease, heart attacks and strokes.

Hate to break this to most of you (well no I don't, actually), but the difference between "smart" people and "dumb" people is for the very most part, education, environment and opportunity. Genetic differences in intelligence, barring extreme cases, are dwarfed by whether your parents began teaching you things early on, whether you were well nourished as a baby, whether curiousity and imagination were encouraged and rewarded. It might not be reassuring, but if you hadn't received much stimulation, decent schooling or encouragement as a child, you could be one of the "stupid people."

Natural selection isn't going to cure society of stupidity in this universe. Education and wealth distribution will.

-K.
hyzmarca
Natural selection has very little to do with death (That's survival of the fittest and is completely unrelated) and everything to do with procreation. However, modern society has defeated natural selection through economics. Now, the wealthy and the successful humans have few if any children and the poor and the religious fanatics still have up to a dozen or so.

If you wanted to breed out the stupid people you'd need to make procreation mandatory for some individuals depending on their intelligence and put geniuses who fail to meet their quote into force reproduction camps.
knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If you wanted to breed out the stupid people you'd need to make procreation mandatory for some individuals depending on their intelligence and put geniuses who fail to meet their quote into force reproduction camps.

I think that's called "rape." Or are you assuming that the geniuses are all male?
hyzmarca
Are you assuming that all rape victims are female? Really, that's extremely sexist.

You don't need to have sex to reproduce, either. No rape need been involved. If you want the most efficient method of breeding geniuses you'll use artificial means just as modern farmers use artificial means to breed livestock.

You don't really need camps, you could just have the male geniuses send sperm to the female geniuses through the postal service. However, the camps are much more fun. You get to run people's underpants up the flagpole and stuff.
knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 30 2006, 02:25 PM)
Are you assuming that all rape victims are female? Really, that's extremely sexist.

Well legally that is the case, unless you're in Norway where the equality laws mean it applies to both sexes and a man is currently charging a woman with rape for giving him a blow job after he passed out unconcious at a party.

But when you propose forced procreation camps then it's obviously not going to involve male "rape" (unwilling sodomisation) as this isn't procreative. It would necessarily involve rape of the women which is not a good thing. Therefore I inferred that in proposing this as a "good" solution, you had made the assumption that geniuses were male. A reasonable leap. And whilst avoiding rape is a good thing, I don't think that makes forced artifical insemination a plus.

More reasonably, you could offer cash incentives to male geniuses to donate their sperm to fertilise non-genius women. It doesn't really work the other way round because men would be able to sire far more children than genius women could give birth to. Which is unfortunate as recent research shows that the genetic component for intelligence is passed through the maternal line.

All of which is pissing in the ocean, however, as environmental effects in childhood have a far greater effect on adult intelligence than genetic predisposition (barring extreme cases). The exception may be a gene that affects brain development which has really shot through the human population in the last few thousand years. But as a large proportion of mankind already has it, there's not much advantage there.

Even if you did find it worthwhile promoting genius breeding, given that the lower conception rate of the highly educated is voluntary, you'd be faced with the problem of identifying and capturing these people who have already indicated their lack of desire to have zillions of kids. Because they can't be trusted to police themselves as a population, your policies will have to be enforced by non-genius people. Which would be an interesting battle of wits. smile.gif

So I think all in all it's not going to work, which is probably for the best really, as I have no intention of spending my adult life locked in a bedroom with a succession of unnattractive women with doctorates in quantum field theory. wink.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (knasser @ Dec 30 2006, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 30 2006, 02:25 PM)

Well legally that is the case, unless you're in Norway where the equality laws mean it applies to both sexes and a man is currently charging a woman with rape for giving him a blow job after he passed out unconcious at a party.

But when you propose forced procreation camps then it's obviously not going to involve male "rape" (unwilling sodomisation) as this isn't procreative. It would necessarily involve rape of the women which is not a good thing. Therefore I inferred that in proposing this as a "good" solution, you had made the assumption that geniuses were male. A reasonable leap. And whilst avoiding rape is a good thing, I don't think that makes forced artifical insemination a plus.

Urr, no.

Erection is not a voluntary response, it just happens. Any man who has ever caught their mother, sister, grandmother, or male buddy who's kind of hot even though you are not remotely gay in the shower knows this. It is quite possible for a woman to forcibly copulate with a man and most Western jurisdictions recognize this in their rape statutes. Penetratee-on-penetrator rape just isn't discussed very often due to a horrific double standard and it is a subject that needs to be taken more seriously.

More reasonably, you could offer cash incentives to male geniuses to donate their sperm to fertilise non-genius women. It doesn't really work the other way round because men would be able to sire far more children than genius women could give birth to. Which is unfortunate as recent research shows that the genetic component for intelligence is passed through the maternal line.

The limitation on the number of children a woman can have per year is in the uterus, not in the ovaries. Just double oomphorectomize all non-genius females during childhood and have the genius women donate their eggs. Cloning is also an option as, despite bans on human cloning and silly ethical concerns, the technology is quite viable today.

Even if you did find it worthwhile promoting genius breeding, given that the lower conception rate of the highly educated is voluntary, you'd be faced with the problem of identifying and capturing these people who have already indicated their lack of desire to have zillions of kids. Because they can't be trusted to police themselves as a population, your policies will have to be enforced by non-genius people. Which would be an interesting battle of wits. smile.gif

Which is why you use child quotas for the well educated. Only those who violate the quotas will have to be dealt with.

So I think all in all it's not going to work, which is probably for the best really, as I have no intention of spending my adult life locked in a bedroom with a succession of unnattractive women with doctorates in quantum field theory. wink.gif

To each his own. I happen to have a mild quantum field theory fetish.
lick.gif Smart is sexy.
Draug

WTF. nyahnyah.gif

But seriously: Rape applies to both sexes. It's just that it's a tad bit easier for an average man to rape an average woman than the other way around. Hell, a friend of a friend of mine actually has been raped by a girl when he was too drunk to defend himself.

Oh, and to make that story more funny, she was Asian, and he's Norwegian...
SL James
QUOTE (knasser)
Natural selection isn't going to cure society of stupidity in this universe. Education and wealth distribution will.

Oh, my ass.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (knasser @ Dec 30 2006, 06:10 AM)

Oh, my ass.

No, it is valid. If we educate the generations to freely distribute their wealth according to percieved need, the smart ones will ignore the education and hoard, leaving the indoctrinated masses to starve.
SL James
So long capitalism.
Herald of Verjigorm
Capitalism encourages debt and survival of debtors (so they can repay, endlessly), that's no way to exterminate the idiots.
SL James
There is no way to exterminate stupid people. They've been around since the human race first appeared, and they will be here until the human race ends. The idea of education as a panacea is simply idiotic because it assumes that intelligence is entirely non-genetic.
mfb
personally, i don't think getting rid of stupid people--that is, people who are content with small lives, who don't care to consider anything outside their comfort zone--is a very smart idea. if everybody's a genius, who's going to work in the factories? and the first person to suggest that all the factories would be automated gets a boot in the teeth. somebody's got to build the factories, idjit. or the machines that build the factories, or the machines that build the machines that build the factories...
ErrosCallidus
...that and who would smart people have to disparage and insult indiscriminately if there were no stupid people? If EVERYbody could throw witty epithets around, then they wouldn't be witty anymore would they?
Draug
Long live the witless ants. nyahnyah.gif

That being said, I know quite a lot of pretty intelligent people who are rather happy with their lives even though they aren't rocket scientists, actors or prime ministers.

Being stupid is not a prerequisite for being content.
mfb
QUOTE (ErrosCallidus @ Dec 31 2006, 01:09 AM)
...that and who would smart people have to disparage and insult indiscriminately if there were no stupid people?  If EVERYbody could throw witty epithets around, then they wouldn't be witty anymore would they?

that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard!

(lowest common denominator, represent!)
knasser
QUOTE (SL James)
The idea of education as a panacea is simply idiotic because it assumes that intelligence is entirely non-genetic.

Well, education does have some advantages. For example, it can improve reading comprehension.

I said that the variations in intelligence due to genetic differences are, excluding a small minority of cases, dwarfed by the differences due to environment and education. Trying to increase the intelligence of the human race by breeding in those traits would be unnoticable compared to increasing it through better education, nutrition and nurture. The difference between the "smart" and the "dumb" is primarily education and motivation. We've a long way to go getting the most out of our current potential before trying to breed higher intelligence becomes a worthwhile return on investment in comparison.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012