Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: A walk among the dead
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Cheese Emperor
Greetings, chummers. I'm looking for a few good runners to bring back a friend of mine. This could be a bit of a time consuming process so I expect people who can be along for the whole ride and not just pop in when it suits you.
-Seattle Johnson

- Priority system, Sum to 10, and 130 BP are all acceptable char gen methods.
- This takes place in September of 2056 so things like SURGE aren't available.
- Excessive flaws and edges are a no-no.
- Deckers and riggers, while acceptable may not see their normal potential so branching out a little would be a good idea.
- Bioware, cultured bioware, and alphaware are acceptable parts of a character.
- Runners who have past running experience would be preferential.
- Contacts are a runners best friend so I expect some effort put in to them.
-Custom equipment, spells, etc. are all acceptable pending my approval.
- I'd prefer people who can post roughly once a day though I understand when those occasional "moments" come up.
- I will begrudgingly accept the 20 questions out of the SRC, but a more detailed bio would be preferred.
- All in all I want this to be a fun run meant and I'll try to be as accomodating to players as a I can.
Shadow
How would you like characters submitted? Email, put in the thread? PM? And is it first come first serve or will you be choosing the characters?
Cheese Emperor
No matter how hard you try you always forget something it seems like...Anyways, I'm looking for about 5 characters that I'll select after I recieve however many sign-ups I feel I'll recieve in a timely matter. Sheets can be submitted via e-mail to the address cauterize@sbcglobal.net .
Cheese Emperor
Don't you all sign up at once now.
phelious fogg
Um.. can i get a bit more detail on the run before hand or not?
Shadow
For all it's 4,000 members, there are only a handful of us who actually play Shadowrun, tabletop or otherwise.
TinkerGnome
If you want results, set a hard deadline. I think I'm about at my limit for online games as it is, though.
Kurukami
I'd be interested. Just give me today to figure out the details on the character I'm going to submit.
Kurukami
Quick question -- how do you plan to treat magic resistance (the Edge) in your game? Straight from the Companion, or more like the alternative I describe in this thread? I ask because it's an edge I'm considering taking...
Cheese Emperor
I don't want you guys to know too much of what to expect from the run, but most of what I've seen here indicates I won't have to worry about that too much. Basically what's happened is that a highly valuable employee of an unknown megacorp has gone missing with no trace. While foul play is suspected, there is no proof. The corp in question is willing to put forth a lot to get him back and because of your street cred as doing good work, you've been given the task.

To Kurukami, Assuming that he means that the "bonuses"(or is the plural boni?) apply to beneficial spells as well, I think that that version makes more sense.

And as per the advice of Tinkergnome, the final date I'll be accepting sheets is one week from today, the 5th of November.
TinkerGnome
Did you have a prefered format for character sheets? Like inline text, .doc, .sr3, .html, .xls, NSRCG html, etc?

/waffling on the edge of submitting something
Shadow
Did you eceive Trace, Cheese?
Cheese Emperor
I haven't yet.
The Frumious Bandersnatch
Wow, this run sounds really great. smile.gif I'm going to try and whip up a character that's been brewing in the back of my head for a while (he's basically a former bodyguard with quite a bit of a magical [while still mundane] background on him) as soon as I can. I'm a bit rusty with the rules though, but I'll do my best to make him legitimate. biggrin.gif
Shadow
Ok, I sent him again.
Cheese Emperor
I got him this time Shadow.
Kurukami
Out of curiosity, is the group considered to have worked together before or are they individual contractors assembled to work as a team?
Cheese Emperor
Entirely your option, chummers.
Digital Heroin
Now that my indenture slavery period to the Navy should be seeing a lull, I should be in the clear for posting... can make a character to suit the needs of the group... have two concepts in the works, but one would need Karma (intiate, plus a custom metamagic skill), the other's got a piece of custom gear that's a touch out there (inspired by the powerarmor thread, but not in the ubergunner sense of the thing)... either way, I can make something new if the later's too out there...
Cheese Emperor
Clarify a little on what you're talking about and I'll see what we can work out.
Shadow
I have know idea if I am in or not, but I submitted a hermatic mage who is an ex-fbi agent. Incase we are trying to build on eachothers characters here.
Cheese Emperor
I finally got the chance to look over your character, Shaodow. He looks just fine. Although the bio only tells me about recent life, it gave me a better impression of who he is than most ones that cover a longer term so good job.
Digital Heroin
First runner is an ex-Companywoman from Ares, who left on bad terms, only to get a mystery bequest in the big D's Will... she used her wish to learn a type of metamagic that allows her to walk manalines, she seems to be alone in this talent...

Second is a tiny little runt of a dwarf who got pissed off at being pushed around all the time, so he built himself an exoskeleton (he doesn't use guns still, he just punches... hard...)
Cheese Emperor
They don't sound terribly out of it. I always felt that too many people made Shadowrun out as too mundane, but you obviously don't have such inhibitions.
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
First runner is an ex-Companywoman from Ares, who left on bad terms, only to get a mystery bequest in the big D's Will... she used her wish to learn a type of metamagic that allows her to walk manalines, she seems to be alone in this talent...

Oops. Guess I need to change my legal SIN number if you already snagged that angle. (Funny that we both had the same idea there.) biggrin.gif
Glyph
I have an idea for a freelance medic, good at both magical and mundane first aid.
Do you allow spending spell points to initiate at character generation?
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Cheese Emperor)
They don't sound terribly out of it. I always felt that too many people made Shadowrun out as too mundane, but you obviously don't have such inhibitions.

I'm a wild dreamer... love the screwy angle... got a preference on which one you'd want?
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (The Frumious Bandersnatch)
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Oct 30 2003, 08:46 PM)

Oops. Guess I need to change my legal SIN number if you already snagged that angle. (Funny that we both had the same idea there.) biggrin.gif

nyahnyah.gif The second I saw that SIN bit, I knew I had to use it... found the manaline walking bit the same day... was fate...
Cheese Emperor
Glyph, give me a reason why your character would have already done this and it's fine.

Digital Heroin, both are rather intriguing, so it's primarily up to you, but I think the manaline would probably be a better choice for this run. It'd be great if you could get a rough draft of the mechanics for whichever you choose in ASAP.
QUOTE (Cheese Emperor)
It'd be great if you could get a rough draft of the mechanics for whichever you choose in ASAP.

Oh, I didn't realize you wanted a rough draft as soon as possible, either. I'll throw one together really quickly and send it to you.

Okay, Valentine should be on your way. If it doesn't arrive, please let me know. Thanks. smile.gif
Kurukami
I suspect my character concept will be perfectly OK, but I'm going to toss it forward for consideration anyways. Dwarf, a bounty hunter/retrieval expert, born of two magically active upper-middle-class elven family in Tir Tairngire (whilst one of them was having an affair). DNA tests show that he is the child of the elven parents, but because of his metarace he's still been a bit of a black sheep for his family and grew up having to stand up for himself. Here's the kicker -- despite both his parents (and most of his family) being magically active he not only shows no magical ability, he's actually a magic-sink, resisting the vast majority of magicks with ease.

He speaks Sperethiel most fluently, followed by English, but has a massive chip on his shoulder about high-class "snooty" elves. biggrin.gif
Shadow
Uhm its Cheeses game, but regardless 2 things by cannon.

Regardless of parentage, non elves are not taught Sperethial. Hell, most elves are not taught Sperethial. And it would be highly, highly unlikely for a Dwarf to be born to two elven parents. It would be of the order of magnitude of a caucasian child being born to two african parents.

The magic sink is a cool idea though, like a D&D dwarf.

Now none of that makes a bit of difference if Cheese says yes, I just thought you would like to know the "facts" per see.
QUOTE (Shadow)
Regardless of parentage, non elves are not taught Sperethial.

What are you smoking? smile.gif Anyone who wants to can learn Sperenthial can; it's just a language like any other. You can even slot a LinguaSoft with it if you like, especially Low Sperenthial. To assume otherwise is just foolish and nonsensical and is certainly not backed up in canon material.
Kurukami
Not to mention that this is the Tir. One presumes that Sperethiel is a widely spoken language there, followed by English. Not having access to the Tir Tairngire sourcebook, though, I cannot comment on it with authority.

And, yes, the chances of a dwarf being born to two elven parents are infinitesimally small -- I imagine rather like a birth defect might be, which is what much of his "family" considered it to be.
Shadow
QUOTE (The Frumious Bandersnatch)
SR3 pg 91

Despite it's label as the Elven language, characters other than elves may speak it fluently.

oops my bad, I misread the line above.

However, it is still unlikely a dwarf would be born to Elven parents.
Kurukami
I know. I'm ending up giving him some unusual details, though -- like buying "bonus attribute point" for Quickness to mimic his "metaracial" tendency to be quicker than the average human, among other details.
One thing I did think of that might be a problem, Digital Heroin, is that Cheese said the game was taking place in September of 2056. Isn't Dunkelzahn assassinated in 2057? smile.gif That's why I was just using the SIN for future seeds myself.
TinkerGnome
Bah, I broke down and submitted something. Let me know if you don't get Kat in a bit, CE.
Digital Heroin
Gah... you got me on that one.. the big D's not dead, the story doesn't work at all... plus she'd have to be initiated at creation too...

Still have twitchy tho... runt dwarves with exoskeletons that can tear cars in half are fun, neh?
Cheese Emperor
Well, lot's of activity while I went out...

Bandersnatch, the mechanics thing was towards Digital Heroin specifically since I have no idea of how long it'll take for me to figure out how I want to work his idea. As for theWill, I'll be sure to keep that in mind as events transpire. It's rather ironic really since I have several things directly related to that planned and intentionally made this start before then. You can tell I've been a bit frazzled lately.

Kurukami, great concept. As I've said before, I'm all for unmundane concepts as possible.

Tinkergnome, the numbers look fine and I'll be waiting for the story behind her.
Should I take the lack of a comment that you didn't receive my email at all? smile.gif
Cheese Emperor
I haven't yet, but my e-mail can be a bit slow so it doesn't mean I won't get it.
Shadow
You know Cheese I am going to go ahead and back out. After re-evaluating my load i don't think I can handle another game. Sorry.
Digital Heroin
http://invision.dumpshock.com/index.php?sh...pic=1517&st=100

The power armor for Twitchy, and my proposal on how to work combat in it, are here. If we're looking at long haul (and I am), he may try to upgrade later, as he learns new tricks, but it's melee for now.

Character will follow when I have my bio finished, I'm anal about those things... nyahnyah.gif
Cheese Emperor
Okay, well here's the current status of the run:

Tinkergnome: Sheet recieved
Frumious Bandersnatch: Awaiting sheet
Digital Heroin: Antroform is fine. I'll be awaiting the rest of the sheet.
Glyph: Awaiting sheet.
Open Slot: Hopefully someone will fill this slot.
Should I assume that you never recieved my emails?
Cheese Emperor
Unless I'm getting my people mixed up which is quite possible and you submitted either Kat or Trace, then no I haven't got it yet.
TinkerGnome
Kat's mine, if that helps smile.gif
Cheese Emperor
I figured, with Tinkergnome being in the e-mail address, but coincedences are fairly common on the 'net any more.
Yeah, I'm trying to submit a character named Valentine. Since the email function is apparently an iffy proposition here on Dumpshock, I tried contacting you in a Private Message. Lemme know if/when you get it. smile.gif Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012