Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: World of Warcraft
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Lindt
So, just a show of hands, how many of you where also waiting in line tonight to pick up the expansion?

And yes, Im waiting for the patch to install...
RunnerPaul
I was wondering why we hardly ever see you around anymore. Now I know.
krayola red
Eww, monthly fee. Eww, level grinding.

Aw, I can't hate on WoW. The little firebreathing, leg humping mini-Diablo was just too awesome for words.
Kesslan
I fear the monster has gotten me too frown.gif

Cause several of my friends play it.. it began with a simple trial account. 'Just to see what all the fuss is about'.

Now I've fallen to depths only Sonic the Hedgehog and Pac Man can understand:
VG Cats

There was one with Sonic the Hedgehog snorting crushed rings at one point. But it seems Kurt took that one down too. I really dont get why he keeps taking down old VGcats comics like that. Cause it's not all of them. Just certain ones (Check out the archives numbering. You'll see quite a few gaps there where he's removed certain comics from the archives)
eidolon
Ech. All this expansion means for me is that I won't be seeing any of my friends for the next few months. Yes, these would be the friends that would be in my gaming group, which would probably exist were it not for their ridiculous level of addiction to WoW.

But the leg-humping Diablo is pretty damn funny. (I actually have very little against the game itself; just the usual "I don't want to continually pay for a video game" and such. It's the social and psychological ramifications that make me want to hurl.)
Hocus Pocus
after work i went to compusa just to look around and saw their display for the expansion pack. I had forgotten all about it. I quit wow several months ago for several reasons one of which is no endgame content for the casual gamer. I don't have time to devote 5 hours to do one instance, though i hear with the expansion comes smaller grouping instances.

monthly fee isn't too appealing either, i've found some online games that don't charge a monthly fee and i'm happy.

still if there is enough new stuff...what kind of new stuff will this expansion bring?
Kesslan
Eh, they added some new arena system, a new profession class (Jewler) so now PCs can craft rings, neclaces and such with bonuses on them too. Some are one shot or use charges.

They've also added a whole new continent. I dont know however, how much they -really- added in overall. I dunno. With expansions, when i'm paying a monthly fee I dont tend to care much for it. I like it alot better like with EVE ONline. I pay a monthly fee, but when an expansion comes out everyone gets it for 'free'. Afterall the development costs come out of that monthly fee your paying. So does all the new server equipment their putting in etc.

And if a game like EVE can do that purely off their monthly subcription fees a game like WOW sure as hell can too. WOW afterall has oodles more subscribers than EVE (I think EVE clocks in at about 100k subscribers currently and rising)
krayola red
While we're on the topic of MMORPGs, does anyone here happen to play Guild Wars? I just picked up the game over winter break and so far I'm having a blast. There's a lot less grind than WoW (shit, I got to the max level in less than a week), and it's supposed to be really skill-based and PvP-oriented. I'm still busy kicking monster ass and progressing in the main storyline, but I definitely plan on giving their PvP content a shot sometime in the future.
eidolon
Ah yes, PvP. Not my thing.
krayola red
What, you don't like pwnz0r1ng n00blets or something?
Lindt
No.
eidolon
Nope. It just doesn't appeal to me. If I don't want somebody messing with the character that I've spent a lot of time putting together, leveling, etc., why would I get any pleasure out of messing with someone else's? Not that I'm saying people that like PvP are badWrong or anything. Just not my style.

Go back a bit and make an alternate reality in which my friends all liked PvE and I might have ended up trying WoW. (But I still probably would have quit because of the same socio- and psychological aspects that bother me about it now.)
krayola red
Wait, why would you mess up someone's character? That's like saying you would break someone's chessboard by playing a game of chess with them. Sure, it might happen to the Hulk, but that ain't a problem for most people.
eidolon
Bad choice of words on my part. Maybe "mess with their enjoyment of the game".

I know, people on a PvP server are by default agreeing to be messed with, and indeed it might be part of their enjoyment of the game. It's not for me, so I don't like PvP.
HeySparky
PvP is bar none the most exciting experience there is to be had in WoW. Instances are cool for scripted encounters and awesome environments. And the world itself is incredibly detailed and varied and fun to explore.

But the AI is only so responsive. There's nothing quite like zoning in to an area knowing that there're real live people behind the enemies you'll face. That said, the game has experiences for everyone. Ridiculously broad appeal.

That's 'uge. That's right, so big there's no room for the 'h.'
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (ES_Sparky)
PvP is bar none the most exciting experience there is to be had in WoW.

I'm with eidolon on this one. The best part of the game is the part I don't like.
BishopMcQ
I didn't wait in line, but TBC made a good bid for eating my brain. It would have succeeded if I didn't have people IRL who yell at me to bump my threads.

PVP v PVE--I can see both sides of the argument. There are a lot of people who enjoy PvP more than PvE and vice versa. PvP has the dynamic that you rarely have the same experience twice, whereas grinding in PvE can really suck.

Though PvP also lends itself to abuse in ways that PvE doesn't. I've seen AB teams camp the graveyard and not let anyone out to guarantee a 5 cap, similar situations have happened in AV. When this happens, I think that the fun of play is removed for the group that is fenced in without a chance to escape.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (McQuillan)
Though PvP also lends itself to abuse in ways that PvE doesn't. I've seen AB teams camp the graveyard and not let anyone out to guarantee a 5 cap, similar situations have happened in AV. When this happens, I think that the fun of play is removed for the group that is fenced in without a chance to escape.

Yeah, I might enjoy PvP a lot more if all the other P's weren't SoB's. biggrin.gif
eidolon
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I was arguing. To me, both "sides" have equally valid reasons for feeling the way they do. Arguing about it is usually about like arguing PC vs. Mac or something.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (eidolon)
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I was arguing. To me, both "sides" have equally valid reasons for feeling the way they do. Arguing about it is usually about like arguing PC vs. Mac or something.

No you're WRONG!
wink.gif

I'm not saying that anyone who enjoys PvP has something wrong with them. I've enjoyed it from time to time. I'm just saying that it's not my favorite thing, largely because in most MMO's a minority of jerks ruin the experience for me.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (eidolon)

Eidolon--It's not that you were arguing, but rather that the conversation is a tried and true debate. There is no clear answer because each aspect of the game is heavily based off the individual's perception.
Hocus Pocus
eve online. I saw that i could sign up for a free trial. How good is this game?

Guild wars-i have it, stopped playing it, then logged back on about a month ago to see what is what. I don't think i'll buy the expansions, it was good to an extent but i actually never really played the pvp aspect of it. Miffed that they changed the music in the ice cave place, i loved the old music frown.gif

wow-pve is awesome up till 60, then it is like ho hum. I had fun casualy gaming with a few friends, but i suffered alot from alt itis. PVP servers are fun if you don't mind being ganked and you will be ganked alot. PvE server (carebear) for me. battlegrounds are fun, save for the twinked, on the low side, and the uber don't have a life all epic outed acne teenagers on the high side. Fleh.
eidolon
Eve and Cities of Heroes/Villians are the only two that have ever even really piqued my interest. But alas, no single player versions. smile.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Hocus Pocus)
eve online. I saw that i could sign up for a free trial. How good is this game?

It's pretty, but requires a LOT of investment to get the most out of it. The economy is largely player-driven and fairly deep. Extensive crafting system.

Skill increases are determined by real-world time rather than in-game earnings - you can only learn one skill at a time, and each rank of skill takes geometrically longer to learn. And there's dozens and dozens of skills, each with five ranks of proficiency. The one saving grace is that the skills continue to increase while you are off-line, bt even then, some ranks take literally days or weeks in real-time to train. The skill system is probably the one of the biggest hurdles that makes people quit. Instant gratification folks need not apply.

As a side effect the impact of the inevitable cash-farming businesses is limited on the game economy, as all equipment have skill rank requirements. By the time you have the ranks to use a piece of equipment you likely can afford it just from the earnings you gain by playing.

It has steep penalties for dying, though (If you aren't careful you can lose all your money, your ship, and even all your skills) and the best resource areas are mostly free-for-all PvP zones.

There tends to be very tight knit social group in the game, however, as people band together for relative safety. The community is notoriously intolerant of the ignorant or foolish, though. It's not a game a person who's inexperienced with MMOGs is likely to enjoy.

As a side note the developer, CCP Games, merged with White Wolf recently. How much you wanna bet a World of Darkness MMOG is in the offing?

wow-pve is awesome up till 60, then it is like ho hum. I had fun casualy gaming with a few friends, but i suffered alot from alt itis. PVP servers are fun if you don't mind being ganked and you will be ganked alot. PvE server (carebear) for me. battlegrounds are fun, save for the twinked, on the low side, and the uber don't have  a life all epic outed acne teenagers on the high side. Fleh.

Life as a 60 in WOW is dull unless you manage to get in a large guild or other group. Most of the high level content is centered around team sizes of 20-40 folks, something not easy to get as a pick-up group.

As a side note, the Expansion has been dropping equipment that is largely better in most ways to anything in the original game. There are levels of equipment quality, Standard, Rare, Epic, etc each being better than the previous in terms of what it gives you at any given level. I have a lvl 60 character, spent the better part of a year raiding to get nice "epic" top-end gear. Within a single night of play in the new expansion at least a quarter of that gear was replaced by standard quality gear of similar level.

A lot of folks are up in arms over the fact that they spent so much time and effort to earn the old epic gear, only to have it surpassed by ordinary gear that anyone can earn in five minutes solo.

eve-i read up on it after finding the free offer. It piqued my interest on account that the instant gratification masses will usually quit, and not alot of juvenal antics. Seemed like a nice system set up, extensive and imersive crafting system sounds good. I'll have to look this over again

wow-lmao! funny to hear the expansion drops are more powerful than those guys that play 24/7 items are. Bet they raised hell knowing that all that time zoning out infront of the comp was all for naught. I'd go back on just to laugh at them nyahnyah.gif

I am rather bored and am looking to delve once again into online gaming. War Rock is a decent interest, but i'm looking forward to war hammer online, and the conan game. I really need to buy a new comp seeing as how this one is about 5 years old nyahnyah.gif
ElFenrir
Ahh, I have the expansion and am having lots of fun with it, leveling an alt in between getting all of the new obscenely powerful tasties for my main(which put tier 2 gear to shame.)

As for PvP vs. PvE...im torn. I mainly play PvP servers. PvE is a little TOO tame for me. However, sometimes PvP just gets plain annoying(Hillsbrad and Stranglethorn Vale, anyone?). Youre sort of forced to travel in groups while leveling, and even then, there is only so much a group of 3 mid 20s can do to even just one 60+.

Tip for PvP severs: Play after midnight. All of the ganking corpse camping kiddies are in bed. Its no lie that less gankage occurs from the hours of midnight and 2pm.

What i wish they could do is possibly create a type of PvP server that would prevent people WAAAY higher than you from ganking you. This is where i draw the line...if im not involved in world PvP(which i LOVE...its like a big giant battleground, free for all), i wont attack someone 30 levels under me for the sake of there is NO POINT except being a jerk. If im running down a street and get challenged by someone my level or see someone my level, throw the gauntlet and let the war commence. biggrin.gif

Im thinking though something to prevent constant low level gankage would actually turn people onto PvP more...that way there is still definate danger(someone who is your equal could indeed kill you), but its still fair.

Basically my problem is PvE is a little too tame, but PvP is way too annoying, and there isnt much a happy medium. (Sure, you can flag yourself in PvE, but still its really tame in general...my friend played PvE and wandered flagged through an opposed factions area and was not attacked at all.)
James McMurray
I played for a while and had to quit when I didn't have the time.

The only thing I don't like about PvP is ganking, although I'd add corpse camping if it had ever happened to me. Other than that it would be cool.

I avoided it at all costs because I didn't have the RL time to develop the reflexes and don't like mashing on a button waiting for a refresh, but if I'd had the time to learn more I'd have been all over it.
mfb
i play a rogue on a PvP server. PvP is a lot of fun, to me, because it allows me to make the most use of my abilities. other classes, i can see not getting as much out of PvP.

that said, my favorite experience in the game so far (i'm installing BC tonight) has been the 45m BD Strat run. i hope there's a lot more content like it--it's extremely challenging if you're at a gear level to need to do it, but still doable.

i'm an anti-fan of big raids. everything i love about PvP and 5/10-man content is non-existant in raids. raids are about thirty sub-par players depending on ten above-average players to carry them through. booooooring.
Kesslan
Well if anyone playing WOW wants to look me up just look for me under this same name on eh. Aquinas or something like that. Something like that anyway, it's one of the newer servers.

I'm having far too much fun blowing stuff up with my Engineer Tauren.

I'm not a pyro! Honest! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012