Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting:Title as yet decided
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Syndicate_killer
Hello and yes I am a relative newcomer to the community (dumpshock i mean) but, not to gaming or Shadowrun. I am throwing this out to catch any interest in this type of game, as i have always wanted to play (GM) this type.

The (campaign) concept is that the PC's are all Yakuza kobun (means soldiers/street operatives) Not sure if i'll get any interest as it isnt exactly like shadowrunning but, hey i'm willing to give it a shot.

Will be SR4 rules.

400 BP
Standard starting availability

Special issues/considerations: Due to the traditionalist view of the Yakuza

Meta's cost is +5 to type (except human of course)

Non-Japanese or Female costs 3 BP

Non-Japanese and Female costs 5 BP's

[These are cumalative, ie a non-Japanese Meta will pay 8 BP's]

None of you will start with tattoos

Actually thats not true, if you play an "orphan" from the Nishidon clan you may begin with tattoos (but in all other aspects are without any real rank in your new family) For the 'orphans' i will require some serious thought into your background. Your BG story will determine any or type of tattoos you'll start with.

You (if you have it available) will find Runners Havens useful for bg info.

Here goes I guess
adamu
Dude, I'll be a Yak kobun. Cool.

My personal situation is that I may be offline for the first half of next week, but I usually post six days a week, and can have a completed sheet to you by next Thursday, if that is not too late to get an app in.

Questions on your yakuza worldview -

Do you see yaks as sort of the Itami Juzo/Minbo no Onna vein - a bunch of cowardly bullies and thugs? Probably not - that is real life and we we talking Shadowrun!

So do you see them in the same light as the training post in Runner Havens, where they are honorable businessmen playing by the brutal rules of the underground economy with as much dignity and honor as they can manage?

Or more like all that honor crap is just an excuse to justify mercilessly preying on anyone weak enough to extort a nuyen from?

In other words - is this a totally amoral burn and pillage (but in an organized, calculating manner) evil campaign, or is there some chance of honor within the supposed Yakuza rules of conduct? Or somewhere in between? Individual by individual?
If there are elements that lean toward the amoral, is there a chance for long-term (if there is such a thing on this board) moral awakening on the part of characters?

Either way, I'll play. But answers along these lines will help me make an appropriate background.

Also, are we talking day-to-day yak operations, as in negotiations for control of BTL distribution channels and turf skirmishes with the Mafia, or is it more like we are a team of operatives handling special missions (shadowruns) for our oyabun?
Trigger
I like this idea as well, count me in as well. I will try and watch the thread as much as possible this weekend, but I am going to be out of town and may not have access to the internet. I will be back sunday night and I should have something for you then.
Syndicate_killer
Glad I got some interest.

To answer your questions:

No I dont see them as cowards or bullies (but some might be....personal inclination)

Are they honorable businessmen playing by the rules (the code says they should be...again personal inclination)

Is the notion of honor an excuse to be merciless (the code doesnt make a clear distinction on what is merciful or merciless...only honor is important)

[EDIT: There is still the notion of being the helper of the common man in the code, it does come with a price usually these days]

is it an amoral burn and pillage? The code does forbid that....unless honor demands it. (Your personal choices, along with the occassional order will dictate)

It will be a mix of the day to day business...you (as in the group) are being groomed for special assignments.

I hope i have answered your questions. It comes down to how you the player...plays and evolves your pc.

I can post the code for any that dont have the underworld sourcebook.

you will be in the Shigeda-gumi if that helps.
DireRadiant
So a non japenese female dwarf would cost 10 BP?
Syndicate_killer
35 bp's actually

(25 bp as normal plus 5 for non-japanese and female and plus another 5 for being a metatype other than human)

[this accounts for the slight racist and sexist traditions even in a "New Way" clan.]

you will also not lose as much honor (in honor points, that i'll be incorporating) when you fail or do/say something wrong.
DireRadiant
I have a concept I can tweak a bit for this that I'd like to try out. Do you have a submission deadline in mind?

I'll resist the temptation to make a non japenese female meta for now.

Is the location Japan?
Syndicate_killer
The Code or should I say traditions:

Jingi: respect for and deference to ones superiors. (governs Japanese society as a whole)

Giri: duty or obligation. requires that a Yakuza folow dictates of honor and repay all debts-some in nuyen others are often in loyalty and service. [Some are in blood]

Ninjo: sympathy or compassion for the plight of the common man...it has fallen by the wayside in modern times (but some still uphold this)

You will gain honor points by adhereing to the traditions (not saying the points mount up fast mind you)...you may also off-set the cost to honor by performing Yabitsume or finger cutting ritual (It still has to be accepted by the Oyabun to count though)

Points will be used to "buy" favors, tattoos and, access to places/things/people you normaly wont usually get. In other words it is a type of currency in your world , it is not unlike karma for the most part.
Syndicate_killer
Setting is actually Seattle. (I have more info and general play knowledge of area...and i dont believe any "New Way" clans are in Japan)

Deadline is Feb 8 but if i have few submissions and they are all in before we'll hit it early.
Syndicate_killer
ADDED CONSIDERATION:

No Nishidon "orphan" may be non-Japanese or a meta as they were ultra-conservative.

Also, would like prospective PC's to think about the exact nature of your day to day responsibilities (your job in the Yakuza) I have few ideas but, would like input before i just dole out jobs.
Syndicate_killer
Thinking of calling this game "Painted Samurai: Find your honor in the back streets (or shadows) of Seattle."

Painted as in inked (tattoo'ed)
Syndicate_killer
sorry mis- post
Unarmed
I'd be interested in playing in this game if you're not all full up yet. I have runner's havens, but not the underworld sourcebook. You mentioned posting the code for it, so that would be a huge help before I fully flesh out a character concept.

It sounds like fun, it'd be nice not to play shadowrunners for a change.
Syndicate_killer
Have plenty of room still. Code is about 6 posts up from this one.
Unarmed
QUOTE (Syndicate_killer)
Have plenty of room still. Code is about 6 posts up from this one.

Bah, I'm on crack. I don't know how I managed to miss that. I'll be more perceptive when we actually play, I swear. wink.gif
Trigger
I am working on an adept concept at the moment for the game, expect to see something in your inbox soon.
ludomastro
I have a character idea but not sure if a sniper would fit in with what you are planning. Comments?
DireRadiant
I've submitted a character, Snow Flower, Tea House Hostess, Gambler, Shinto Priestess. In case anyone needs to know.
Syndicate_killer
@Trigger....cool

@Alex.... The yak's code believes that colatoral damage should be at a minimum (better a sniper bullet to dispose of someone at a party than an explosive that kills target and some others, that is dishonorable) So, yes it is ok but, do not skip out on (or focus to much away from) the personal protection skills..ie unarmed or edged. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you do.
Unarmed
Hey Syndicate_Killer,

I'll have a completed sheet/background in to you either tomorrow or thursday.

Are there any restrictions on cyberware? I wasn't thinking of going all out with that, but I was wanting to have a few things.
Syndicate_killer
No restrictions at all on cyberware (just make sure the pinky finger is removable lol)
Syndicate_killer
I've delved in and done some reading on the Yakuza and want to pass these things along.

An honorable Yakuza treats civilized people with respect. (civilized is up to inturpitation...usually japanese humans)

An honorable Yakuza does not commit crimes (a drug user who choses to buy from them has made a choice.....a man beat for not paying his loan has broken a promise to repay) (since they chose to get involved the Yakuza are clear of guilt) [great way to rationalize i suppose]

ADDENDUM: muggings, purse snatchings, etc are forbidden as no choice has been made and these create victims.
adamu
Syndicate Killer -
very close to completing my combat adept, alienated MCT scion, former bosozoku, Shigeda boot-camp graduate Yakuza thug.

Two questions -
SINs? The Yakuza are always all about being "legit". Here in Japan they carry business cards and their office buildings are known to the public. The beat the government with emergency supplies to the Kobe earthquake scene. Companies that are known Yak fronts are traded on the stock market and advertise prominently on TV.
Shadowrunners, on the other hand, are always trying to be invisible non-entities, keeping a low a profile as possible.

Should we be SINless as usual? Or should be have SINs, and if so, is it even worth the five/ten BP?

Contacts? Since the Yakuza is, like, an organization, seems impossible to be a member without knowing quite a few other people. And a lot of those people would have loyalty ratings over 1 just for being in the same organization. Are we expected to be shelling out 40-50 BP to represent that, or did you have something else in mind?
Syndicate_killer
The SINs are a great question and I leave that up to you to take the Flaw SINner or have a fake SIN. (If you choose SINner ...non-criminal, then it very well could be from a mega-corp that got leaned on...this providing you grew up in Japan and later came over, as the Seattle Gumi's only have cared about 2 things for membership in the past...Human male and Japanese.) Hate to throw it back into your court but i see it as part of concept. [Reporters only name the high profilers and give the low guys on the totem pole ...."and his as yet un-named associates..." in the press.

As far as the organization and contacts I wouldnt spend all the points in that. Knowing one or a couple you are in good with is good (but not neccessary). You will be able to develop 'relationships' with other members and the honor points I'll be instituting will help with this (as well as good old karma)

I hope this answered your questions.
Syndicate_killer
With the up coming Arsenal book (whenever it shows up) I will allow a conversion to any martial arts rules they add (provided that's how you have been fighting). Not sure if they'll cover/add rules for it but, I will allow if/when they do. I'd hate to penalize players for lack of source material.
Foxx
I'm interested in this idea. I'd like to play a yak samurai, or some criminal version in the Yakuza world. Going to be a chrome warrior. That is of course if yoru not full up. yet
Syndicate_killer
We're still open for submissions.

Only 1 has submitted and been approved and that is DireRadiants character: Snow Flower

So, plenty of room.
Trigger
Alright, my sheet is done and my concept is in the works, but I would like to know if we are going to be Shotozumi-Gumi or Shigeda?

Because if we are Shigeda then the whole extra BP for being metahuman would be a lot less necessary...because the Shigeda follow the 'New Way'.
Syndicate_killer
You are Shigeda and although it is a "New Way" it is still difficult to be accepted (the others are more traditional and wouldn't accept metas or foreigners). Think of those points as spent earning trust, greasing the wheels of lingering intolerance or just plain old graft (bribes) to gain the organizations attention.

Even the "New Way" clans have a few bigots in them (and around the middle to top enchelon of power)

You are also part of the "new way", and the pioneers always have it toughest.

You also have to remember you are buying some lee way in honor costs if you screw up (they think you will anyways and the cost you pay is lower than someone who isnt in your same situation)

Long way around to say the point costs stay but, i like to give as clear a reason as I can, as i think it tends to create a bigger picture of the game. (See you've already been shown they are still slightly bigotted)
Narse
Wow, I'm really interested in this game. If possible I would like to join. I should let you know though, that I've never played in a forum game before.

That being said, I am wondering about what exactly Yakuza soldiers do. More specifically in what way does the organization's focus on honor cause the soldiers to act differently than in other crime syndicates?

Anyhow, I was thinking of playing a shinto kannushi that focuses on spirts, if it doesn't overlap with DireRadiant's character too much.

Also being new to this, what exactly do you want in a submission and is there a specific format I should use?
Syndicate_killer
Acting differently in the manner that they wont use a bomb at targets kid's recital (the mob certainly would) but, would use a sniper. There is also the notion that one must chose to participate in a vice or criminal activity in the Yakuza's eyes.

As far as what you do as yakuza soldiers, its pretty much what you are told....also you help maintain the operations on a day to day business.
Cedric Rolfsson
Okay, since my other forum games are slowly dying I'll submit a character concept for your review and approval. I'll PM you the full sheet by the end of the day.
Syndicate_killer
Cool...the more the merrier
Cedric Rolfsson
Concept and Sheet sent via PM

Outline: Young Hermetic Mage- Barrens native

Name is either Night Heron or Night Raven and I'm taking suggestions as to which I should use. The Japanese bird is actually called the 'Black-crowned night heron' but the Greeks typically called the night heron 'night raven' which sounds too cool. Either way I'll be using the night heron bird in my concept I'm just undecided as to which name sounds better.

Sound off if you'd like, I'd be happy to get opinions.
SoyKaf Adict
Anything with Raven would be overused in my opinion, the Night Heron is less known, however you did say the Japanese are more closely associated with Heron if I recall correctly, in your characters best interests to appease the Yakuza (assuming your character isn't a Japanese native if he's from the Barrens). Appeasing them for status and position would be in your best interests. cool.gif

Oh and, Syndicate, I would be interested in your game but I have 0 knowledge of the Yakuza, can you point me the way to sites you gathered information out of? Or was it a ShadowRun book?
Syndicate_killer
I used Runners Havens (just for current affairs), The Underworld book (2nd edition but good info), and I wiki'ed other info for realistic/current/historical info.

I can answer questions if you have any but, pretty much like a shadowrunner but work for the Yakuza. (That's really over-simplifying it...yet it is a good basis to start with)
Unarmed
Alright, I'm done my background and concept, and I'll be done the sheet once I get home from work tonight. I'll just send everything at once so as not to complicate things.
Unarmed
Hey Syndicate_Killer, I sent my background/concept and character sheet over to you via PM, so if you didn't get them please lemme know.
Foxx
Also sent my character, concept to ya as well, let me know if you got them or not.
Syndicate_killer
Unarmed I got

Foxx I did not get yet
ludomastro
Kyndicate_killer,

I sent my sheet and background to you via email. Please let me know if you get it.

Syndicate_killer
Foxx I have yours.

Alex....i encountered a run error while trying to DL it.....can you copy paste to a PM for me?
ludomastro
SK,

I will have no problem sending the background via PM. The Excel file is pretty big but has everything in it. I will try to send it by itself on email one more time. If that doesn't work, I will submit it via PM.
Redjack
QUOTE (Syndicate_killer)
you will be in the Shigeda-gumi

Does Shigeda-gumi have a strong presence in the International district? If not, what neighborhood(s) do you recommend?
Syndicate_killer
The I-district is definately Shotozumi area...but, more than a few of your clan live there also. Shigeda runs much of the northern areas...Everett, Redmond etc...
Redjack
Whew. Concept, History, Contacts and Character sheet complete for Musouka (Japanese for "Daydreamer") .
Syndicate_killer
got it.
ludomastro
Did you get the background and character sheet for Morita Takumi?

The BG was sent via PM and the sheet via email.
Syndicate_killer
BG yes, the sheet I'm still getting a run time error on...it's this computer and not yours. I know this because its happened 3 other times in the last day or so. Sorry about the inconvenience but, can you please PM it?
ludomastro
It may take me a minute to translate a few things over but yes. I'll be working on that right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012