Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crunching numbers with SR4 society
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Serbitar
What does a Mage service cost per hour?
Is it cheaper to take squatters from the street and implant skillwires than hiring qualified personnel?
Are drones much cheaper than guards?
Is it worth the investment to give every guard smartlink/lowlight/visionmag glasses?

Here are some calculations. First the assumptions (feel free to use other assumptions):

Taxes, corp profit and stuff: 50% (of pre-tax)

Worktime calculations:
5 days a week, 8 hours a day, 20 days off = 160 hours/month (good condition work times)
5.5 days a week, 9 hours a day, 10 days off = 200 hours/month (average SR4 worktime)
6 days a week, 9 hours a day, 10 days off = 230 hours/month (bad condition worktimes)
6 days a week, 10 hours a day, 0 days off = 250 hours/month (work-slave work times)
7 days a week 22 hours a day, 20 days off = 630 hours/month (drone work and equipment work times)

Baseline:
JoeMage (Average Mage)
-Magic 4
-Attributes 3
-Skills 3
Income: 5000 (net) medium
Worktime: 160 hrs
= 62.5 per hour (pre-tax)

JaneMage
-Magic 5
-Attributes 4
-Skills 4
Income: 10000 (net) high
= 125 per hour (pre-tax)

JimMage
-Magic 6
-Attributes 5
-Skills 5
Income: 20000 (net) high
= 250 per hour (pre-tax)

PatWorker/Guard (Dock Worker)
-Attributes 3
-Skills none
Income: 500 (net) squatter
Worktime: 250 hrs
= 4 per hour (pre-tax)

PaulWorker/Guard (Average Guard)
-Attributes 3
-Skills 2
Income: 2000 (net) low
Worktime: 230 hrs
= 17.4 per hour (pre-tax)

PhylisWorker/Guard
-Attributes 3
-Skills 3
Income: 3000 (net) low
Worktime: 200 hrs
= 30 per hour (pre-tax)

ParkerWorker/Guard
Attributes 4
Skills 4
Income: 5000 (net) medium
Worktime: 180 hrs
= 55.5 per hour (pre-tax)

HarryEmployee/Hacker
-Attributes 3
-Skills 2
-knowskills 3
Income: 2500 (net) low
Worktime: 230 hrs
= 21.7 per hour (pre-tax)

HillaryEmployee/Hacker (Average Hacker)
-Attributes 3
-Skills 3
-knowskills 4
Income: 4000 (net) low
Worktime: 200 hrs
= 40 per hour (pre-tax)

HalEmployee/Hacker
-Attributes 4
-Skills 4
-knowskills 5
Income: 8000 (net) medium
= 100 per hour (pre-tax)

Xdrone (Patroll Drone)
-cost: 2000
-Attributes 3
-Autosofts 0
Maintainance/Operation Costs: 500
Lifetime: 24 months
Worktime: 630 hrs
= 0.9 per hour

Ydrone (Combat Drone)
-cost: 6000
-Attributes 4
-Autosofts 3
-Maintainance/Operation Costs: 1000
= 2 per hour

ZEquipement (Any Equipment per 1000)
-cost: 1000
Maintainance: 20
= 0.01 per hour

Calculations:

Skillsofts:
difference in pay per month skill 0 skill 3 ~ 4000 (pre-tax)
cost for skillwires 3 + 3 skills rating 3: 6000(hardware) + 27000 (software) = 33000
break even: 33/4 = 8.25 month
maybe less due to volume licensing of skillsoft
maybe more due to "I know have the skill pay me more" arguments

Knowsoft:
difference in pay per month skill 0 skill 3 ~ 500 (pre-tax)
cost for datajack + 3 skills rating 3: 500 (hardware) + 3000 (software) = 3500
break even: 7 months
maybe less due to volume licensing of knowsoft
maybe more dure to "I know have the skill, pay me more" arguments

Wards:
lasts: (magic+will) / 3 weeks
takes: rating hours (+1 hour traffic time)

Ward ratings per month:
1: 4weeks/2.33weeks*2hrs*62.5ny/hr ~ 215 ny per month (joe)
2: 4weeks/2.33weeks*3hrs*62.5ny/hr ~ 330 ny per month (joe)
3: 4weeks/2.33weeks*4hrs*62.5ny/hr ~ 430 ny per month (joe)
4: 4weeks/2.33weeks*5hrs*62.5ny/hr ~ 540 ny per month (joe)
5: 4weeks/3weeks*6hrs*125ny/hr ~ 750 ny per month (jane)
6: 4weeks/3.66weeks*7hrs*250ny/hr ~ 2000 ny per month (jim)

Comparison: Guards vs Drones
Paul 17.4 per hour
XDrone 0.9 per hour (factor 19)
ZDrone 2 per hour (factor 8.7)
(Drones can be hacked, though)
eidolon
Duplicate removed from SR forum. Topic title corrected.
Thain
But, a drone requires a higher initial investment; it also requires maintainance, which nessicitates hiring a technician... The technician may be able to service a dozen drones, but his pay will need to be added to the cost of the drones.
DireRadiant
For all services I simply take the employees/contractor lifestyle costs and divide by the amount of time used as a baseline.

e.g. Hire a High Lifestyle Body Guard for one month, pay for one months lifestyle.

Adjust for negotiation affects.

And then I don't worry about it anymore.

I have enough trouble tracking my budget so I can afford to buy the next SR4 book when it comes out.
Pyritefoolsgold
A few considerations:
Drones need a rigger to be even slightly effective as guards. Also, drones can be hacked, and if they are floating around armed, they have a greater danger of causing bad PR incidents (like kids with sins getting shot up)

But yes, this does seem to lead to the conclusion that we should be seeing a lot more drones and a few less guards.
Wakshaani
Drones have a higher start-up cost, but lower long-term cost, than security guards, but also have a terrible turnover rate ... a guard with 20 years on teh job is a seasoned vet. A drone with 20 years on teh job is a rusting pile of junk.

Figure a drone has to be turned over every six years at worst, but every three years preferred, then realize that they're more easily hacked and aren't so hot unless being piggybacked actively by a rigger. In certain situations, a drone is better, but for most, you need a person.

For Skillwires, you could toss off a Rating 3 implant, and matching Activesoft, for a professional-quality worker on demand, but you'd still have to pay a living wage (Say Low Lifestyle), which comes up losing against just paying teh same rate for someone with the skillset you needed ... remember, people are cheap. Skillwires, overall, are a poor investment, unless used on a core of emergency workers... a cadre of reliable, Corp-Loyal sorts that can be called in whenever there's a shortage, chipped for the job, and instantly go to work.

Strikers shutting down a plant?

No problem!

Call in 200 Wired Men, chip 'em for production duties, and they're off and running while you train a replacement crew. Teh 200 can be rolled from there into other companies, dealing with paperwork backlogs, translation duties, acting, even producing the next round of bland SynthPop for the kiddies, chipped to sound almost as good as novahot stars but selling their tunes for a fraction of teh price!

Just chipping any ol' person, tho, is a waste of cash.

Lastly, for mages, any WageMage will be pulling no less than Middle Lifestyle. They just *aren't*, due to the high demand. Most small companies thus rent, rather than buy, investing in standard issue wards, which signal when they're broken, so that central magical security and attending spirits can check out the intrusion. One Magical Security Provider could thus service a couple dozen businesses with only one or two mages on duty at any time, thus charging fairly low rates, allowing for more contracting.
Jaid
QUOTE (Thain)
But, a drone requires a higher initial investment; it also requires maintainance, which nessicitates hiring a technician... The technician may be able to service a dozen drones, but his pay will need to be added to the cost of the drones.

i doubt it's all that much higher.

the guard (or, more likely, 2-3 guards) will need to be issued a gun, probably at least 2 uniforms, and will have to be trained before starting, which you will have to pay for in some way or another. there's a lot of hidden costs with human security guards.

much more likely, they hire hacker/rigger types to run the drones, and supplement with the occasional actual guard (because sometimes you just need a human there in the meat).
Serbitar
QUOTE (Thain)

Didnt I cover this? I put in 1/4 of the drones cost as operation/maintainance costs.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Feb 3 2007, 12:42 AM)
Drones have a higher start-up cost, but lower long-term cost, than security guards, but also have a terrible turnover rate ... a guard with 20 years on teh job is a seasoned vet. A drone with 20 years on teh job is a rusting pile of junk.

Figure a drone has to be turned over every six years at worst, but every three years preferred, then realize that they're more easily hacked and aren't so hot unless being piggybacked actively by a rigger. In certain situations, a drone is better, but for most, you need a person.

I put in a lifetime of only 2 years.

For Skillwires, you could toss off a Rating 3 implant, and matching Activesoft, for a professional-quality worker on demand, but you'd still have to pay a living wage (Say Low Lifestyle), which comes up losing against just paying teh same rate for someone with the skillset you needed ... remember, people are cheap. Skillwires, overall, are a poor investment, unless used on a core of emergency workers... a cadre of reliable, Corp-Loyal sorts that can be called in whenever there's a shortage, chipped for the job, and instantly go to work.

Well, I put in my dystopian version of wage slave. Somebpody that has abolutely 0 qualification, just gets implanted skillwires and gets minimal wage for a agreed upon ammount of time where he is practically owned by the corp. After that the worker has "paid off" the skillwires, he can re-negotiate.

Lastly, for mages, any WageMage will be pulling no less than Middle Lifestyle. They just *aren't*, due to the high demand. Most small companies thus rent, rather than buy, investing in standard issue wards, which signal when they're broken, so that central magical security and attending spirits can check out the intrusion. One Magical Security Provider could thus service a couple dozen businesses with only one or two mages on duty at any time, thus charging fairly low rates, allowing for more contracting.

My cheapest mage is medium life style.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Pyritefoolsgold @ Feb 2 2007, 11:26 PM)

Drones need a rigger to be even slightly effective as guards.

I disagree. For patrolling duties you do not need a rigger at all. Thats what pilot ratings and autosoft are for.

A Pilot 3 Autosoft 3 drone can perform defined tasks exactly like a attribute 3 skill 3 human. And patrolling is a very well defined task.

Concerning hackability, you are right, but I already mentioned this in my initial post.
Jaid
generally speaking, attribute 3 skill 3 humans aren't going to stop anything serious any more than a hackable drone with pilot 3 autosoft 3 is going to.

honestly, if you're using attribute 3 skill 3 humans, you're not using them to keep out runners... you're using them to keep out the people who would otherwise break in (vandals, for example) who are not highly trained professionals.

not that skill 3 attribute 3 is bad... but rather, it just isn't competitive against runners.
Serbitar
If runners are detected the run is mostly over. Patrol-Guards are not there to fight, but to spot intruders and call the cavalry. Maybe to keep the intruders busy till the cavalry arrives.

And believe me: 10 combat drones waiting to be unleashed with 3/3 rating backed up buy a security hacker WILL be a problem. And they are cheap, compared to slaries.
Ravor
Umm, also why do people assume that the Corps will bother to pay a 'living wage' in a Cyberpunk World?

Perhaps its a matter of taste, but I like the feel of a world where selling your soul to the Corps isn't enough to ensure you won't sarve this month, not to mention what you have to do to make ends meet if you have children...
Jaid
QUOTE (Serbitar)
If runners are detected the run is mostly over. Patrol-Guards are not there to fight, but to spot intruders and call the cavalry. Maybe to keep the intruders busy till the cavalry arrives.

And believe me: 10 combat drones waiting to be unleashed with 3/3 rating backed up buy a security hacker WILL be a problem. And they are cheap, compared to slaries.

no corp is going to use a drone with 3/3 for it's ratings to act as the cavalry, imo.

not when pilot 4 split between 10 drones is so cheap, and 2 drones (the cheapest ones to arm, i might add) come with response 4. and like i said, software just gets cheaper the more drones you use...

(ie, a corp concerned with keeping it's costs down will almost certainly choose either the doberman or the steel lynx for combat purposes, since it costs an extra 2500 to add on a weapon mount, and both of those come with response 4 standard as well)
Crakkerjakk
@ Ravor

Thats certainly your prerogative, but my impression from most of the background story I've read on corps is that they try to keep their wageslaves happy, to ensure loyalty. They're not showering them with gifts, exactly, but if you're willing to give up your freedom for a predictable, comfortable lifestyle, you can. Besides, what could possibly attract all the college graduates that the corps need to fulfill their middle management and up positions if their employees still need to sell blood/bag groceries/etc in order to be able to eat?
Serbitar
QUOTE (Jaid)

no corp is going to use a drone with 3/3 for it's ratings to act as the cavalry, imo.

not when pilot 4 split between 10 drones is so cheap, and 2 drones (the cheapest ones to arm, i might add) come with response 4. and like i said, software just gets cheaper the more drones you use...

(ie, a corp concerned with keeping it's costs down will almost certainly choose either the doberman or the steel lynx for combat purposes, since it costs an extra 2500 to add on a weapon mount, and both of those come with response 4 standard as well)

Well, teh cavalry is a high threat response team.

And of course, combat droones can get smart and other stuff. Its still exceptionally cheap.
Serbitar
QUOTE (Ravor)
Umm, also why do people assume that the Corps will bother to pay a 'living wage' in a Cyberpunk World?

Perhaps its a matter of taste, but I like the feel of a world where selling your soul to the Corps isn't enough to ensure you won't sarve this month, not to mention what you have to do to make ends meet if you have children...

Well, my uneducated worker gets 2 nuyen an hour . . . thats not too much. And the average data worker is getting low lifestyle . . .
Ravor
As I said, its a matter of taste, but the way I see it working is more along the lines of my understanding of the company store from the days of ol', your average wage-slave isn't paid enough to really survive without taking out crushing loans from the corp. Then in order to afford to keep paying the min payment they are forced to start signing up for the more mild 'extra duties' like donating blood or signing up for the minor medical research, ect...

OF course, even then the corp still doesn't really pay enough to survive, and the wage-slave is forced to take out further loans, and sign up for the more extreme 'extras', and the cycle repeats...

For the few 'rich kids' whoes parents were the very few able to actually attend a 'real college' focused on learning to actually think and not merely the cheap dime-a-dozen corp brainwashing facilities then things do look alot less grim as I see the corp execs actually caring about this class of people, after all, these are the ranks where the execs making the decisions belong to themselves and they aren't going to make their life any harder then they have to.

The reason why people don't simply jump ship to another corp? Well, since this is SOP then they won't be treated any better elsewhere and as the new guy already branded as a traitor things are likely to be even worse at the new corp.

After all, there has to be a reason why coruption is so rampent in the Sixth World, if the Corps really did provide a comfrontable but boring lifestyle then I don't see the graft reaching nearly the levels as it must in order for street scum to be able to lay their hands on the very high tech and highly illegal toys so easily. I see it as one of the things that nearly everyone does in order to afford to put food on the table.

But remember that as bad as things are for anyone who doesn't belong to the 'elite' few, they thank the corp daily because if not for the corp then they would be forced to live on the streets, and although the stuff in the corp store is the cheapest junk possible (Think of the really, really cheap toys that are lucky to survive more then a week and expand that to everything.) but at least the empty and meaningless consumerism appears to fill in the void.

Of course, by doing so all they are really managing is increasing their debts and falling even further into the cycle described above. And in the end only the Megas win.
Cheops
QUOTE (Thain)

However, all depreciation on the asset can be expensed off in order to reduce net accounting profit, thereby lowering the tax liability for the corporation. This is only applies A rated or smaller corps who pay income tax to nations but there are reasons that megacorps might do this too. (Mostly to affect earnings per share).

Also you can choose from several different ways to expense the depreciation. With humans there is only 1 way to account for them--labor expense. So 100% of the wage you pay to people lowers your profit whereas drones "cost" some lower percentage than this (say 20% for a straight-line life of 5 years). The expense savings of drones can be very significant.

Added to this is the fact that many executives are compensated based on the profitability of their division or company. Cost cutting is encouraged and rewarded more often than cash flow targets. So it is more lucrative for the manager to continuously invest in new drones and hire a single technician and a single spider to maintain them all instead of outsourcing or hiring all those live patrolmen that would be needed (3 shifts per day, at least 2 guards per shift for a total of 6 guards, whereas drones can be run into the ground by operating as close to 24 hours a day as possible and just have the tech and the spider on a beeper if something goes wrong).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012