Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL - Street children's tales
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Draug
I'm just one page one, but this is gold in so many ways. Read it.

Myths over Miami.
toturi
It is... so sad.
ShadowDragon8685
Such good Shadowrun material, too. So many ways to interpret it.

But yeah. Sad.

Where the hell are all those "Won't somebody please think of the children?!" people and the baby-kissin' Politicians?
Fix-it
they're still angry that the Bears lost the superbowl. they'll come out after valentine's day if they don't see thier shadows
Kagetenshi
They're fighting the real enemy: violent videogames and lite-brites on bridges.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

a'Yep.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

aw man. game over. you win.
Lindt
Heheh. I love it when local news becomes national news. Especially when its that stupid.
Draug
Then consider this: The article is from 1997. Most of them are probably dead by now. frown.gif

*Goes off to find that bottle.*
emo samurai
QUOTE (sad)
A blond six-year-old with a bruise above his eye, swollen huge as a ruby egg and laced with black stitches

:.(....
Thane36425
Try reading some Charles Dickens. Sadly, nothing new about any of this.
ShadowDragon8685
My Sociology teacher made the case today:

Much as people like to shout "Think of the children! Someone please, think of the children!", they rarely ever practice it, because children are considered inherantly disposable things - we know how to make them and where to get more.

I'd like to think our moden world would be a bit more civilized. Sadly, I doubt it.
Draug
QUOTE (Thane36425 @ Feb 7 2007, 11:40 PM)

These children have developed their own street mythology. I call that new.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Draug)
QUOTE (Thane36425 @ Feb 7 2007, 11:40 PM)

These children have developed their own street mythology. I call that new.

Just wait until the 2070s roll around, and their street mythology happens to be based in large part upon actual Awakened stuff.

smile.gif

Heh. That would be funny. A group of kids running around in the Barrens with their own Free Spirit protecting them.
Kagetenshi
Probably not willingly, though—note that she only helps them if they know her True Name and can thus compel her into service.

Gotta start young if you're going to learn to keep slave-spirits properly.

~J
nezumi
I did think it interesting that they say when a spirit or demon sees your face, they can find and recognize you forever more.

Reminds me of how if an astral entity sees your aura, he can recognize you forever more.

Great article though, very powerful. Thanks for sharing.
eidolon
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 7 2007, 10:03 PM)

It could be cool in SR. The bit I skimmed (re: God fled Heaven, Angels keeping out the demons) makes me think that it might be better as the basis for an In Nomine (or if you're into free RPGs, Children of Fire) campaign.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Probably not willingly, though—note that she only helps them if they know her True Name and can thus compel her into service.

You call a group of fanatical zealots who risk life daily an annoyance for a free spirit? It's a karma farm!
Kagetenshi
Well, again, though—she only helps those with her True Name, and thus the power to force her into service. I'm sure she's karma-farming on the side, but as demonstrated here, she doesn't have to actually help them to do it. Probably why she hasn't just killed them.

~J
Kyoto Kid
...wow...

Definitely inspiration for a campaign there...

And I thought KK's backstory was too rough...
lorechaser
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 7 2007, 10:03 PM)

It could be cool in SR. The bit I skimmed (re: God fled Heaven, Angels keeping out the demons) makes me think that it might be better as the basis for an In Nomine (or if you're into free RPGs, Children of Fire) campaign.

My thoughts exactly.

Strangely, I just saw this on another message board too, but it's also a gaming board, so it may be easily explained.

But this is flat out badass. A whole damn mythology. Too amazing. I love the Christian Mythos, so I'm all over this.
mfb
the author has written a few other interesting articles. here's one on Bahamian voodoun.
Kyuhan
It's kinda freaky, maybe there really is something supernatural going on in the back streets and alleys....maybe not. I can see an anime being made about this as if their stories were real.
Draug
I can see an anime being made about this as if their stories were real.

*Shudder*

I pray for a proper story, graphic novel, or anything else not filled with huge eyes, huge explosions, and hyperactive, shouting people with weird clothes. nyahnyah.gif
Kyuhan
It actually reminds me vaguely of Karasu: The Prophecy.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Draug)
I pray for a proper story, graphic novel, or anything else not filled with huge eyes, huge explosions, and hyperactive, shouting people with weird clothes.

You mean like an anime?

Or maybe you'd like anything else not filled with gratuitous romantic interests, insipid car chases, and excessive explosions instead of a movie?

(For those of you about to shout "they're not all like that", reread what Draug wrote. For those of you still not making the connection, consider the difference between "what I think something is" and "what something is".)

~J
Draug
I added a smiley to my previous post. Happy?

EDIT: And in case I misread/understood you, yes, I'd prefer something other than anime or a movie too. Gratuitous romantic interests, insipid car chases, and excessive explosions don't seem to do this kind of thing justice in my mind.
mfb
you'll have to forgive Draug. he's never seen any good anime.
Draug
True that. Recommend one to me?
mfb
Spirited Away is the one that comes to mind. honestly, though, that's not really my thing. Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star are more my style. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is also good (the first one's good, too, but the animation's pretty dated). deep story, great action, complex characters. insipid car chases and excessive explosions are definitely out there, but they're certainly not hallmarks of good anime, y'know?
Kagetenshi
I'm a big fan of Texhnolyze and Koi Kaze. The first one has some weird clothes, and there's some shouting in both (mostly when people are angry, excited, or trying to get someone's attention at a distance), but no huge eyes or hyperactivity in sight.

~J
nezumi
FLCL!!!!

Hey, there's a weapon for conversion into Shadowrun.

Guitar
Conceal 2
Reach 1
Damage (Str+1)M Stun
Legality 4P-C
Special: Successfully causing damage with Guitar causes a large welt. Two weeks later, it grows into a robot.
Draug
I've actually seen Spirited Away, come to think of it. It was good. So was, to some extent, at least before the raving sky god thingy, Princess Mononoke. Neither is gritty enough, though. Both were ruined by the presence of raving pikachu (or however you spell that) fangirls, though.

Ghost in the Shell? Yeah, that should be good. That, and Akira, I suppose. Seen that too.

I don't like Cowboy Beepop. Ditto Outlaw Star and Vampire Hunter D. Voice acting, style, etc. always puts me off. Never heard of Texhnolyze and Koi Kaze, but the name of the first one immediately bumps it down on my "things to see" list.

So, ok, there are some good animes/mangas out there.

Still, I'd like to see a good script before I see a shitty, whiny cartoon.
Kagetenshi
Don't watch Koi Kaze if you want gritty. Or if you want action. I think a character slaps another character at some point, but that's all you get for action.

As for your issue with Texhnolyze's name, more's the pity. It's some very solid cyberpunk, though you have to be able to tolerate not knowing what's going on for a little while.

~J
Draug
I can tolerate that. You said "weird clothes", though, and that's what scares me.

Well, not really. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
There's a semi-cult that wears fox masks.

~J
Draug
Not worse? Well, that's perfectly acceptable. Now, all I need is time and a place that sells this kind of stuff...

Yeah, yeah, the intornetz. I'll tell you something: The post and/or customs services steal my packages.
mfb
well... see, if you're watching dubbed anime, you've lost the battle already. i don't want to sound like an anime snob (proof that i'm not: Evangelion was balls), but i get a lot more out of subbed anime because english voice actors usually screw up the emotions. they always sound like they're reading their lines.
Kagetenshi
Evangelion was excellent in historical context. I still enjoy it, but like many works that open up new possibilities, it didn't use them nearly as well as, well, a whole lot of stuff that came after. Still, "serious" series (in contrast with movies) were largely made possible by Evangelion and, before it, Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (which even I can't help but flinch at, though I can sorta enjoy it—not in any hurry to see it again, though).

Hm. I guess I'm an anime snob smile.gif

~J
SirBedevere
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Where the hell are all those "Won't somebody please think of the children?!" people and the baby-kissin' Politicians?

On Capitol Hill with their snouts firmly fixed in the trough! sarcastic.gif
Trigger
I believe I saw Spirited Away up there....yes I did biggrin.gif

Hayao Miyazaki is one of my favourite anime directors by far, I grew up with his stuff. I also went to a Japanese school in the middle of Oregon, so anime and japanese culture is sort of my thing.

Good anime to watch includes: GitS: well all of them, although the second movie is a bit out there, Cowboy Bebop (and not just the first episodes, the real grit comes near the end of the series), Trigun (again definitely near the end of the series), Outlaw Star (ditto), Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D, Akira, Gungrave (Oh Gungrave how I love thee so), R.O.D. (the movie not the tv show), Silent Mobius, Serial Experiment Lain (trippy fucking story), RahXephon, Full Metal Panic, FLCL, well....ok I know a lot of anime and I will leave it be here. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I have gotten a lot of inspiration out of anime, as well as other forms of media. Don't get me started on what I got out of my marathon watching of Reservoir Dogs, Usual Suspects, and Boondock Saints tonight... grinbig.gif
Sir_Psycho
If we're going to hijack another thread.

For gritty, I'd say Ghost in the Shell, the Aeon Flux (anime, if you want something really fucked up) and akira. (i'm having trouble remembering.
eidolon
I'm a huge Cowboy Bebop fan (and FWIW, I actually prefer the English dub to the subbed Japanese in this case). I also love Trigun (same) and I've recently discovered Samurai Champloo (which I think is better subbed rather than in English).

I haven't ever gotten around to Vampire Hunter D or Akira, but everyone says they're great.

All in all, I don't watch much anime because I don't seek it out. When I notice and have an opportunity to follow a good one, I like it, but anime isn't really a focus for me.
cristomeyers
I must be the only anime fan on earth that actually didn't like Akira.
Herald of Verjigorm
No you aren't. It was about as bad as the ending of Evangelion.
Kagetenshi
I agree, it was that good.

(Seriously, though, can you explain what you disliked about Akira?)

~J
mfb
QUOTE (Trigger)
...R.O.D. (the movie not the tv show)...

ooh! forgot about Read or Die. that's one seriously underappreciated flick. one of these days, i'm going to make a paper mage in SR.

oh, yeah, more proof that i'm not an anime snob: haven't ever gotten around to seeing Akira.
cristomeyers
(Seriously, though, can you explain what you disliked about Akira?)

Let's see, it's been over a decade since I saw it last...so memories are a little foggy.

The setting just didn't appeal to me much, seemed overdone. Dunno, just didn't appeal to my tastes I guess (the first anime I actually saw was Bounty Hunter Iria).
emo samurai
Iria, Zeiram the Animation?

Akira was amazing! And the setting? That's just 80's Japan with a few more motorcycle gangs. It was PERFECT.
cristomeyers
yeah, that's it. Been forever since I saw it last. Only time I found it on the net the voices were way too out of synch with the animation.

For Akira, like I said, dunno. Just didn't do much for me, maybe I need to see it again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012