Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to the Future
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
fistandantilus4.0
Alexander returns after waiting ten minutes with no change.

What sort of barrier are you suggesting to erect Master? The tents still have functional warding. Or were you thinking something physical?
SinN
I suppose, we should probably do something Mana barrior as well, Just to be safe. We are in the outback, after all. I geuss I'll be using a refresh spell too....

Force 6 Mana Barrior
Roll:

Took, 3 stun
fistandantilus4.0
The glowing field of mana comes in to existance, encircling the camp in a 6 meter field. It glows on the physical plane for on;y a moment as the mana is manipulated, then dissapears from mundane sight. Alexander takes over the flwo of the spell, sustaining it.
SinN
Thank you Alexander. Your deeds will not go unrewarded.

Sits down near Patricks and closes his eyes.

Alex, wake me if something comes to close to the barrior, please?
fistandantilus4.0
Soon enough, the camp is asleep within the warded tents, Alexander the spirit-angel keeping watch. Sleep is deep and grateful, the digireedoo seeming lulling everyone deeply.

Hood is the first to awake, from a gentle prodding in the back of his mind.
Gaelic, you need to get moving. I'm sorry but you have rested enough.

Checking his commlink, Hood sees that he has indeed rested enough. It seems that everyone slept through the night and most of the next day. it is 1700 hours, a day later.
SinN
Shit. It was all Hood could say. Its not like he was late for anything, like he had an appointment in the out back, yeah right.

Goes tent to tent saying the same thing
Hey, we've over slept, wake up or get left behind.

Begins to pack up what little items he got out of his bag, also gathering the water.
Callidus
Having crashed hard once the tents were set up, sleep had come easily for Michael and dreams had to.

Waking from a nightmare that he couldn't remember appart from it's horror and that it felt like it lasted forever, Michael sat up suddenly in his hot, sun filled tent with a cold sweat dripping off him.

What the frag was that? Strange, I can't recall anything about it, appart from the terror.... gah! get a grip Michael can't let the others see.... me.... like this.... but they already have, ah well no point sleeping now.

A few minutes later he's almost dressed when Hood comes by waking them all up.
SinN
Check my bags, clothes, and self for any little bastards had made a home for themselves. Advise everyone to do the same.
fistandantilus4.0
For once, camp is broken quickly and quietly, without much chatter. Everyone is still groggy, and no noe is looking forward to yet more time trudging through the Outback. The Flora and fauna here are unique and wonderful, but you can only be so excited about something when some of it might try to eat you. Might make a good story once you get back to civilization though. If .... no .. never mind that.

Alexander reports that the aborgigine man has gone without a trace. Everyone seems to simply accept it and move on. The day soon turns to cool night, and everyone continues on. The walk is long and trecherous, as the rocky terrain hasn't changed much. Alexander scares off a few more predators. Floren has taken to walking with a sharpened walking stick, stabbbing scorpions and snakes that seem to interested. Patrick has also made one.

Finally the sun rises again. Floren, scouting a head a bit, manages to find a good spot undera rocky over hang. Gthering fire wood is easy enough. Breakfast today is cooked snake Floren "found" instead of ration bars. Should be interesting.

Patrick perks up after checking on the sat-link.
We actually made good time tonight, about 20 miles. Dr Wood left amessage asking for an update.
SinN
Tell em we all want a raise.. Hood says in joke

After setting up Camp again, Hood quickly gets to work on the Barriors. Force 5 sounds good. Im glad I got that sleep, feelin alot better now.
fistandantilus4.0
A quiet chuckle around the camp. Patrick nods And a bath..

Some hearty agreements, especially when everyone realizes they can smell the person sitting next to them. Everyone's clothes and well caked with dried dirt, as is everyone's face. Many have some tears in their clothes, especially Floren. They're not exatly ready for a society event. Still ...it oculd be worst.

Michaels Could be worst... at least we know where we're going. And the camo at the site will have more supplies than these ration bars. Not lookng forward to coming back out though. Going to be a long walk if we can't arrange for some other transportation.
SinN
If they cant provide us with some transportation then Im callin in some favors. We just walked across the outback for a week, the least they could do is give us a jeep...or a tank.
Callidus
That's good to hear, it's nice to get a reply. Well we'd better give him our current position, and let him know we're doing okay. And should be arriving in 3 to 4 days.

I hope that didn't sound as pompose to them as it did to me.... probably did though....

Sorry that sounded pompose didn't it? Sun must be getting to me and smiles jokingly I don't know, that snake kebab was good.
fistandantilus4.0
Everyone laughs a bit and that and smiles.

Floren Or a vector thrust .. a t-bird ... one with lots of guns...

Patrick to Holder yeah, nice to knwo we're not the only ones out here, and that we've at least got somewhere to go where we can take some rest.

Michaels We should take some of that rest now I think. Finish eating and bunk down. That day's sleep did us some good, but we still have a job to do too.
Callidus
Yeah even a camp bed is looking awesome at this point and turning back to the others

Well I'll take first watch if you want?

Hopefully after that I'll be too tired to get that dream again
SinN
Before Hood hits the sack, he does a quick assense of everyone. Just to be safe.
fistandantilus4.0
Floren volutneers for second , and soon enough , the watch is set for the day. One adventage to sleeping in the day .. it's quieter than the night . Even the predators are smarter than to hunt in the heat.

Night comes swiftly enough, bringing the promise of cold snake meat, long walks in the dark, and the possibility of being eaten. It's no wonder everone is in such a great mood. "Dinner" is eaten mostl in silence. The Scientists seem to be holding on only by the thread of hope that the site holds some great key of knowledge that will make this all worth while.
fistandantilus4.0
The night's walk is long and tiring and thankfully uneventful. Even with everything that has happened so far, it's not hard to appreciate the wild beauty of the landscape. One of the last true wilds in the world, completely untamed by man. Resentful of man's presence even, it seems at times. Those sensitive to it can almost feel the hostility of some of the spirits of the land. One must wonder just what it would take to truey raise their ire.

Finally, mercifully, the sun begins to rise, marking the end ofthe long march. Camp is made near the end of the rocky badlands, under some sparse cover. The camp is on a rise, looking down at the wide of plains of rock and dirt that stretch in to the horizon. Under the shade of one small tree on the crest o the rise, the land looks beutiful and deadly at the same surreal moment.

What cover might there be on such a plain as this? What creatures might hunt it's wide open plains?

Trying to dispel these thoughts , the group makes busy by making camp, pitching the tents, and attempting to eat the ever popular ration bars. Soon enough. weariness takes them, and merciful sleep comes.
fistandantilus4.0
Michael Holder is dreaming, mostly of long walks through the thick sand that nearly claimed his life, and of sharp things concealed beneath it. When he wakes, he finds him self alone in the rocky badlands, no sign of his companions around him. Nor does he see the camp, or his gear. He wears nothing exceept his golden arm band. The sun nat dusk does not quite burn his skin so. The land around seems to glow almsot in technicolor. Everything seems more alive.

The brown and red snake on the rock across regards him for a moment, tehn slides forwad slightly.

What are you doing here man-creature? the snake asks.
Callidus
Staring around the desert landscape in awe at the beauty in it he'd not seen either in the jeep or during the trudge across it.

Wow, how could I not notice this before? Although the colours are odd.... brighter.... and where the hell are my clothes? And the camp.... and the others? Could this be a metaplane? Only hear about them.... or the dreamtime? But I thought only the aboriginals could go there and there is supposed to be a Dweller on the Threshold for the metaplanes....

His thought trail off as he sees the snake crawl up the rock towards him, and starts to form a defensive spell as it speaks.

Holy frak, a talking snake.... well either I'm dreaming or this isn't the material plane anymore.... right how to reply.... well just in case....

Well that slightly depends on where here is. If you mean the mudane world then the answer would be my duty to my superiors and collegues, trying to pass through the Outback to our distination and the pursuit of knowledge. If this, as I suspect, is either the metaplanes or the dreamtime then the answer would be that I don't know why I am here, but still I would be searching for knowledge as that is my goal in life, at least for now.

I hope such an answer explains my purpose, but it may not answer the precise question, but it is the best I can with the current information.
smiles to the snake and then continues If this is just a normal, abett strange dream then I'll be hoping Lofwyr doesn't come looking for some talon clippers, although that would be very strange and make me think that our rations are turning into some very odd chemicals.

Hmm, well I'm waffling again so I'll shut up and see if I've come close to answering you as you would like.
fistandantilus4.0
The snake regards Micheal curiously for a moment. You are in the Dream Time man-ling. Deep within the Dreaming you call life. You bring with you strange fellows, strange creations of your dreams, and strange wasy of expressing your self.

You would do well not to speak of the Golden One here man-ling. This is the realm of the DreamWeaver. He does not take kindly to interlopers. Especially the Golden One.

Where is it that you are journeying to? What master do you answer to if you have 'superiors'?
fistandantilus4.0
Micehal looks up towards the sun to try to get his bearings. There is no sun, only swirling clouds of color and light above him.
Callidus
With a slight bow of his head to the snake You're warning is appreciated and I would not want him to notice and come see myself either.

As to where I am journeying to, I am not certain what name you would know it by, but it is a small research incampment approximately 40 miles in a northeasternly direction.

As for who my "master" is, well I suppose you could call NeoNet my master although I don't think of it that way. It is a corporation that employs me as a researcher. My superiors are merely the metahumans employed to supervise my work and prioritise what I should work on next. That is an over simplification but at least it is short.

My companions, well three are other researchers from NeoNet, like myself, and the other is a guide we employed to allow us to pass through the Outback both safely and without too much impact on the land.

Does that answer you fully enough or would you prefer a fuller answer? Also if this is the Dreamtime, how did I get here? As I see nothing of our camp I would assume this place is similiar to the metaplanes then that would explain why only this device came here, but I would hazard a guess that you are the one that transported me here?

I wonder where this is going? Hopefully not towards a permenant home here, getting severed from my meat body would be.... well terminal.... it can't just be for information.... at least not information I can give it....
fistandantilus4.0
I did not bring you here Man-ling. I am of the Dream Time. I no longer pass through the Dreaming. I cannot tell you why you are here. Only you can answer that question.

Your answer is still strange. You are a scout then? Perhaps I can help. What is it that you seek?
Callidus
I'm sorry that it sounds strange, but this is my first time here. and smiles slightly embrassedly at the snake.

A scout? I believe Hood would be the closest to a scout we have, unless it's scouting for relics of past times. We are just trying to find our way to the research site, and any help you could give would be very gratefully received. I would try to repay any help you could give us, if I am capable.

Oh great, now I'm bargaining with a possibly imaginary snake.... what happened to my nice comfortable desk?

I'm afraid that I don't have any more details on the location of the site at the moment, but if you give me a moment I should be able to recall the map we have and a simple spell would display it for you if that would help?
fistandantilus4.0
I read no maps Man-ling. Have you not noticed that I am a snake?

The snake pauses, as if he's appreciating his own joke.
I can only tell you the way if you know the Song. I do not think you know the Song. But perhaps.... perhaps I can help you find where you are going. Do you know how to Dream Man-ling?
Callidus
Dream? Of course I know how to dream.... hmmm actually I don't think he.... it.... means normal sleep dreaming.... ah well only one way to find out I guess.

Well I certainly dream while sleeping, but I assume you mean a different form of dreaming which is connected to the Dreamtime. If so then no, but will try my best if you could explain the process.
fistandantilus4.0
Somehow the snake actually smiles. Michael has seen that smile before. His grandmother used to smile like that when he was a kid and said something foolish, that any grown up would know, but kdis weren't expected to.

I can't tell you how to Dream. We do not have enough time for that. But I can help you to.

At that, the snkae begins to undulate, rising slowly off the rock. A soft humming accompanies it, and soon Micahel realizes that the snake is singing. Like the eastern snake charmers, the snkae soo has michael in a sort of trance. Everything is still for a moment, then the Dream Time begins to change. The whole world changes.

Michael is standing next to Hood in what looks like a desrted camp. Dr Patrick and Dr Micahels are beside him. Standing across from them is a man talking... greating them it seems. He seems familiar, like a kindred, but different.He's holding a bloody knife. He is inviting them in.

They are in a cave. It is still deserted. Or rather, there are people there, but it seems empty , like walking in a void. There is no sound .

Hood kills Dr Michaels. For a moment Hood seems almost draconic, raging, tearing Dr Michaels apart. Someone is dead. There is red everywhere. Somewhere, someone is laughing. Someone is crying. It might be Holder crying. His hand hurts. Everything hurts all at once. Then everything is gone.

First, black and white. Then... Red and yellow... colors come in to being.

It's like being born again. Nothing makes sense. Everything is new and different and old and familiar all at once. No one makes sense. The world seems different.

There is a woman. An elf, with black hair and silver eyes. Her companion is a silver dragon. There is pain...

Shadows rise to consume everything. There is sorrow. Pain.

Betrayal.
Callidus
What the hell was that? A vision of the future? A false image to break up the group? What the hell do I do now? Why would Hood kill Dr.Michaels? Draconic?

Looking shaken and in fact shaking a bit as he addresses the snake again

Wa.... Was that the Dreaming? And what does it mean? A view of the future or just a fear? Why would we be betrayed? the last almost entirely to himself.
fistandantilus4.0
It may be the future, it may be the past. To some here it is all the past, or all the future. It is impossible to say here. It is simply what is, what has been, or what may yet be coming. Your song turns dark and brooding here young Man-ling.

But that is all that I can tell you. You are returning to the Dreaming now. I will see you again.

I can tell you this though, before you go. Beware the shadows man-ling. Or they will consume you.
Callidus
Th.... Thank you, call on me if I can help you at some time.

This is gonna take a lot of thinking about.... The shadows? I'll become a 'runner? Or is it that 'runners are after me? Or something worse? Oh frak, I'm really starting to hate this place.... I just want my desk and apartment back!
fistandantilus4.0
As Holder thinks more and more about it, the world aroundn him seems to lose it's shine. Everything begins to dull, including his senses. He has a sensation of falling.
It takes a moment to recognize the sensation, and then it dawns on him. It feels like returning to his body from astral projection. But how would one project without trying to? Especially someone properly trained....

His eyes open, he sees the tent above him. He's still inside his tent. Everything is normal... wait ...someone's crying .. a woman. Sobbing.... right next to his tent!
Callidus
Sitting up and pulling his shirt and a pair of shorts on, Michael heads out to find who was sobbing.

Well it has to be Dr. Patrick right? Right? Wonder if she had the same vision I did.... I hope not.... I hope it was better for her

Elza are you okay? and he moves over to give her a hug and makes soothing noises to calm her down.
fistandantilus4.0
Micahel rushes out of his tent to find it night out side. Dr Patrick has opened all of the tents. Only she is awake apparently. There is no sign of the ally spirit.

Dr Patrick has drug Dr Floren part way outside of his tent. his head is in her lap as she sobs uncontrollably. Dr Floren isn't moving. He isn't breathing. He's Dead.
Callidus
Heading quickly to Dr. Floren and checking him over quickly to see if he can get his heart restarted.

What the hell happened to him, no obvious injuries.... Poison?

What happened? Did you see Elza?
fistandantilus4.0
NO! NO .. I , I woke up beacuse of this horrible smell, and everyone else was gone! And I tried to wake you all, but no one would wake up... and when I got to John ... he ....he's dead! He's DEAD MICHAEL!
Callidus
Seeing nothing physically wrong Michael concentrates and his eyes slightly unfocus as the lights of the astral flooded into his vision.

No traces of an offensive spell hitting him.... No sight of his life though.... damn it why didn't the wards stop.... the wards are gone? And absolutely no trace of astral presence.... almost as though he was projecting and the cord was cut.... but he's an adept.... he couldn't project.... damn where's.... no Alexander either.... what the frak happened.... and what's that trace? A spirit power? I heard they could pull us into the astral and beyond but why?

Shifting back to the physical world and tears dripping from his eyes, all Michael could do is hug Dr. Patrick and try to console her.

I know.... oh god I know, I saw a similiar vision but not as bad, I'm so sorry I couldn't protect him, and.... and he's beyond magical healing....

I can't believe he's gone, why couldn't I stop this happening? he whispered to himself.
fistandantilus4.0
Dr Patrick moans, then convulses oncee, and falls limp in Michael's arms. She is unconcious. No one else has emerged from their tents.
Callidus
Seeing Dr.Patrick suddenly slump unconcious horrible thought flew through Michael's mind, but checking her pulse, breathing and a quick astral scan showed she was just unconcious.

Probably best for her for now.... what about the others

Carefully carrying Dr.Patrick to her tent and making her comfortable, he then head to check on the others. Looking into their tents and scanning them quickly in the astral to make sure they were okay.

Finished with that he went to stand watch in the middle of the camp and scanned the astral to check for any spirits that might be preying on them.
fistandantilus4.0
Seeing no spirits present , for once, as there always seems to be small spirits around in the Outback ,Michael calms slightly. Then feels himself start to slump. Dizziness over takes him. He grunts, coughs noce, and drops to the ground unnconcious.
SinN
Hood stumbles out of his tent, looking around cautiously. He is aware something is wrong.

Micheal! Floren! Patrick! Where the frag are they?\

It takes a moment, but soon he relizes that Alexander is also gone.

Alex?! Where are you?
fistandantilus4.0
Hood spots the limp forms of the doctors on the ground, apparently uncpncious. There is a strange smell in the air.

Master! I can hear you, but I can't reach you. I've been forced into the Dream time.
fistandantilus4.0
GM note: INcluded for context. the following is Hood's Dream Time experience. It was done via PM, so it is in reverse sequntial order.
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Holder was the first to wake up. The sand was thankfully cool. One could only wonder what might have happened had they passed out during the day. Predators or sun stroke or... what the hell? Could've sworn I jsut saw a gargoyle a second ago

Maybe the night wasn't so safe either. Slowly getting up, Holder still had a massive headache. He took a moment t osteady him self in a sitting positon and looked around. Patrick was still lying there. Dr Floren wasn't in sight, and his tent flapped wsa closed. Hood was passed out in the sand not far from him...... drooling.

SinN
Hood opens his eyes, blinking for a bit. Then slowly getting to his feet. Looking up, he sees Dr. Holder.

Micheal! Are you alright? Im not sure what happened here. But Dr. Floren...is dead. I dont know how. My geuss is some one threw in some Altyerre into the fire, and we all breathed in the smoke. Altyerre works like deep weed and could have been causing us all to forcefully astrally project. Floren must of died on the asrtal plane, seeing how is body is perfactly fine, just that he not responding. Micheal? Did you astrally project too?
Callidus
Wuh? Eh? Hood? What the.... frak my head hurts....

PleasejusthavebeenadreamPleasejusthavebeenadream

Wait.... Dr.Floren? Crappit, not a dream then And you can see tears running from his eyes Altyerre? And yes when I examined him it looked like he had projected and had his cord severed.... He just didn't have the training being an adept.... Although Dr.Patrick was fine.... I guess a little training was a bad thing.... Even though his words were analytically you can hear the emotion in his voice and in his face.

If that wasn't a dream then the vision really happened too.... and there's no way I'm letting that come to pass!

Did I project? Yes, I did, met an interesting snake that explained a few things and gave me a 'Dreaming'.... One that I'm not going to let happen and you can see his face harden with a resolve that hasn't shown all through the trip so far.
SinN
Micheal? Whats wrong?
Hood reaches out in concern
Micheal, I think you're still a littel dazed from the dream, you should sit down. Ill get you some water and food.
Hood walks to his bag and pulls out a canteen of water and some of the bars he had left. Walks back to Micheal.
Here you are. Now eat up, I dont think we should move again until Dr. Patrick and Dr. Micheals wake up. Waddya say?
Callidus
Hmmm.... so is this going to be safe to eat and drink? Well I guess so as he could have finished us all while we were out.... crap this headache really sucks.... Medkit... medkit....

No.... I doubt we could move without them up and about.... What time is it? Might be best to rest the day and let them sleep it off, this head's killing me.... ah there's the medkit, sweet sweet aspirin.

And applying the pads to himself and using the autodoc the help him select the best anelgesics, he pops the kit open and swallows them with some of the water.
SinN
Hood goes back to the fire and sits.
Micheal is actin funny...wonder whats got em. Prolly saw something he aint used to. Poor Kid.

To Bahamut:
Master, Im ok. Bedlum was a great help. Thank you, and be sure to thank Bedlum when she gets back for me. What the hell was that?
fistandantilus4.0
Probably Altyerre. It is the only thing that fits all of the symptoms. I suggest you find out how you ended up inhaling the fumes Gaelic. And do something with the body of your fallen friend. Australia is a place full of spirits. You wouldn't want a shedim to walk off with it. Dr Floren was a good man. His body deserves more respect than that.

Look to your remaining companions now. Keep them safe. You still have a long way to go.

Soon after Michael and Hood begin moving about, a groan comes from Dr Michaels tent. He emerges a minute later, holding his head, as he fumbles for a bottle of NERPS. He looks up when he sees Hood and Holder is a similar state.

What happened? My head is killing me....... and it looks like we've lost the day as well. What's going on?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012