Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back to the Future
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
fistandantilus4.0
The dragon chuckles.

You are loud, but not in the way you think. Have you never heard the saying "born in the wrong age"? I often thought that was the case with you my friend. You are not suited for subtle, but that is no fault. It's simply not who and what you are. Here, in this Age, you can get the training you need. I've planned to have you trained in the Warrior Discipline. I think that it will suit you nicely.

But for now, we have to help Morganna, and Dr Holder. He to owas drawn in to the gateway to this time ... along with Bedlam. That was certainly not part of the plan.

The plan was ... is for you to retrieve something to help counter Uumbar's abilities, while Morganna keeps it's attention. There is a blade I would like you to retrieve. It is a sword of some power, specifically of a power based off of light, and the powers of a LightBearer, which I shall explain shortly. There is a young man traveling with Morgana who can benefit greatly from this sword.

Morganna is traveling with two companions. They'll have their work cut out for them, as the'll have to deal with Epsilon before they can reach Uumbar's lair within the ruined kaer.They'll also have a good sized horde of cadaver men to deal with as well. That means that they won't have time to properly prepare for dealing with the horror. Uumbar is aware of the swords existance howver. It was made to destroy horrors just like him he is not unique, simply powerful among his kind. He will likely have guardians in place. Constructs and minor horrors no doubt. Which means that you're going to need to be boning up on your nethermancy.

Before we begin, do you have any more questions?

SinN
Hood smiles, feeling used to and comfortable with Bahamut reading his mind.
Just one. What have I got for weapons? Aside from these leathers, I'm naked out here.
fistandantilus4.0
I can get you a blade.But until you've started your warrior training, your Nethermantic training will be your greatest asset. I hope you've been studying. He says it 'sounding' a bit amused.

We will review a few things first. Most importantly Spell Matrices.Remember that casting raw magic out side of this fortress could very well result in a fate worst than death. I'm sure you know what I mean.
SinN
Hood nods. Horror marked.

Well, I have been brushing up a bit on my nethermancing skills. I suppose I should get all the training I can get.
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Waves of thought wash over Hood. Concepts, theory, use, thread weaving, everything is simply in his mind. It's been some time since he's had to learn thigns like this. Even being a drake, learning so much so fast can be overwhelming, especially with something as complicated as Spell Matrices. Dragon Speech can be overwhelming at times.

What will you be needing the way of equipment? Besides a map of course.

SinN
Well the sword ofcourse. Perhaps some water, food for a travel. Im not sure what to ask for, becuase I dont know whats too much Alex. Hood Chuckles.
fistandantilus4.0
The dragon hesitates for a moment. I think that I need to make a few things clear before we begin Gaelic. I understand that things are changing for you. You did not intend to be here, nor did I intend for you to come , although it was certainly a possibility I factored in. The fact is that you are here, in this Age, the Age of Legends.

I am a Dragon.

Think on that and what that means. I have had the oppurtunity to step away from this, and instead I chose to continue. I have a responsibility that I must maintain. I have the ability to do things that others cannot or will not. It is not something that I do not take lightly. You remember me as being torn between two wholes, struggling to find who I was. I am who I am. There is no conflict. So when I am before you as I am today, there is no doubt as to which name you will use. If I approach you as a friend, then your friend I am. But there are times when I am simply Bahamut, and there should be no doubt in your mind as to how you will respond.

You are a drake. It is not something you asked for, but it is what you are. Just as I am what I am. Our former mistress would have destroyed you or worst for addressing her as you just addressed me. Among our kind, addressing a dragon so familiarly is a challenge, and not one that would be passed up, especially coming from a drake. That is why we have our titles, such as my own.

We have made our pact, as you well know. You knew your course when you chose me and swore your self to my service. When you do so, and do not address me as Master, you not only insult myself, and your own honor, but everyone who has sworn them selves to me. How can you, who sits so highly among those that follow me, pay me less respect than those who are lower?

I do not insist on the proper respect paid out of a need to feed my ego, or to make a clear line between our friendship and our duty. I insist upon it because it is correct. We are friends, you and I, but there are times when we must put that aside, when other duties demand our attention. You will know when this is, because I will not approach you as Alex, but as Bahamut, in one form or another. When I do, I will insist that you show the proper respect to those that have sworn them selves to me.

Now, I can provide you with weapons as you need. Your task is retrieve the sword, and bring it to the young Questor of Mynbruje named Alexander. I will provide you with a map of course, and means of transportation.

Do you have any questions?
SinN
I apologise Bahamut. I meant no disrespect. Forgive my rudeness, my old friend.
Now as for the questions, none than that I can think of, other than, what is to be expected on my travels? Other than grave danger and peril. Perhaps a hot damsil in distress?
fistandantilus4.0
If you're lucky. I mostly expect the regualr dangers of traveling in this age, followed by a trap and horror infested tomb of treasures and terror. About what you would expect I suppose. Perhaps it would make a good fantasy SIM later.
SinN
Perhaps. Ill have Nick look into that when I get back. Now, guide me to a sword, and Ill get started on looking for this sword, waddya say?
fistandantilus4.0
The sword Illumina has been locked away for quite some time in the tomb of it's creator. The sword is tied to the pattern of the Lightbearers, making it extremely powerful. It is also potentially dangerous as it could privde a link to their abilities should it fall in to the hands of someone or omething that would use it in such a way, making their abilites useless to whomever is tied to the blade.

The horror Nemesis has been hunting the sword for many centuries. It knows that it is hidden in the tomb, protected by many traps. It has sent a number of adepts after the balde, as no horror can find the cave thanks to it's wardings. So it guards the canyon jealously with contrsucts while searching for more adepts to use as pawns.

The Canyon it's self is no picnic. It sits hidden deep in the Twilight Peaks, surrounded by troll moots, the homes of this Age's Sky Raiders. The Canyon is also frequently hit by flash floods, making it very dangerous, and unaccessible at times. It's very narrow, and a good hunting ground for the natural predators in the area, meaning you'll have to deal with the wildlife as well as horror constructs.

I do have a blade that may aid you, something I've been saving for a special need. Not a sword however. Something a bit more unique.

A indrisian ork man wearing soft silver robes, walks out onto the rock face where the dragon and drake are 'speaking' carrying a long wrapped bundle, perhas 8 feet in length. He bows sinking two his knees, holding the wrapped bundle up. it floats from his hands, the purplr wrapping sliding off, revealing a spear. The haft is 8 feet in length, of a thick dark wood, perhaps ash. The head is made of obsidian, sharp and jagged, polished to a gleaming sheen.

It is called the Devastator Spear. It was crafted centuries ago by a powerful warrior, who first used it to fell a skeorx, a powerful cat creature in these lands. You will be able to bind it, but in order to fully access it's abilities, you too will have to fell a powerful creature. make sure that the killing blow is dealt by throwing the spear , as it's first kil was claimed, or it will not work properly.

Not what you were expecting perhaps, but it is a powerful weapon.

The spear hovers in the air, a mere ten feet away.
SinN
Hood looks at the spear for a moment then back at Bahamut. He takes three steps and stretches out his hand wrapping his large fingers around it. Feeling the energy flowing through it into his veins.
Sukaa and Opaa are nothing like this..! Thank you Bahamut. I am grateful for this gift.
Hood drops to one knee and bows, then stands.
Now when do I get started.
fistandantilus4.0
Immediately. I will have a ship ferry you across the sea, as it is qutie a long way for flying. They will set you down on the outskirts of the Twilight Peaks. Few ships will approach within 50 leagues of the area, for fear of Crystal Raiders. From there, you are on your own, although you will still be able to communicate with me. Be aware though that the regualar communication you are used to will not work here. There is too much interference and corruption in the Gaia Sphere to send messages as efficently as we used to. You will have to meditate and concentrate deeply on the bond.

I will of course provide you a map to the canyon in which the Tomb rests, as well as some literature explaining more of the sword's history, as well as that of it's creator. Knowledge is a powerful weapon here.
SinN
Allow me to read this information. Id feel more comfortable knowing about it before I venture out to this world. Will you permit this of me? Or is this a matter so urgent that I must leave now?
fistandantilus4.0
Time is of the essence. You'll have a rather lengthy trip on the airship as it is. More than enough time for you to read what I've translated to english for you. I doubt your Throalic is very good. You will have to work on learning the dwarf tongue soon. But for now, other matters are mroe important.
SinN
Very well, guide me to this airship and I will leave immediatley.
fistandantilus4.0
This game is unfortunately derailed, so we'll be starting it over momentarily, with focus on a differnet area. Edits will follow
fistandantilus4.0
Cool nights are unusual in Barsaive. Rain is not. The rain is always hot, making the body sweat, and the water bring little refreshment. Cold rain is often seen as a dangerous omen. Especially when one is a windling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting in the bar, or rather, on the bar, Shal'hari looks out he window at the bleak night yet again. Being a nethermancer, such nights were of little concern to her. Things that "go bump" as the clumsy dwarves say, held little fear for her, and perhaps. a bit of curiosity. She was not, however, curious in the least about what cold wet rain would feel like. She was also not interested in the company her troll companion was keeping. A troll beastmaster with a pari of large hounds was no fit company for a windling maiden. Not even if the "maiden" in question was capable of making men's skeletons chatter to pieces in their still warm flesh .....

She contemplated it for a time , deciding that then the dogs would be loose. Or the dogs could go first, but then the troll would be losoe. Either way, it would be smelly and messy. Not for the first time she wondered how indeed she came to be keeping company with a troll skyraider, and why she kept at it. He really offered little more than a semi-comfortable shoulder to ride on ,and her zoak was good for that. The troll was becmoing more and more proud of his accomplishments, and more insufferable with each new "great victory" to add to his honor. That axe he kept at his side he prized mroe than most men prized their woman. Clearly, he had a problem with priorities.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bartertown was soaked. He'd heard that this was not unusual. As strange as it seemed to him, this part of the world was, at this time, very humid, almost a jungle in some places. The cool rain reminded him of home, even if it was spattering across a drab coat instead of .... never mind.

His master's commands came to his mind again.

Retrieve the Fireaxe. It is integral to finding the lost citadel. The lost star, called Findas' Flight by some, the Citadel in the Sky, will be impossible to locate without it. The Fireaxe was used in a ritual by adepts to destroy the horror Winter's Breath. The horror's pattern was tied to the citadel, and so now is the axe. The troll that carries it is unimportant. Do not hurt him if it can be avoided. The axe will be returned when we are finished.

Recruit the windling Shal'hari. She has seen the aura of the citadel, and knows what to expect within. She will help guide you. Show her the scrolls I sent you with as part of her payment. The troll however, must not come. This treasure is not for him.

Do not fail. This prize is worth more than any we have fought for. The knowledge that could be gleamed from it could save thousands. Millions. Go, find the Fireaxe, and find the Citadel in the Sky.
Lady Door
For close to the thousand-th time that night, Shal-hari sighs... and then drinks... and then sighs again. At least no one was bothering her... yet. It seemed more often then not, that the men and trolls in the bar would soon become so besotted that they would turn their attention on the tiny windling.
Still, at least it was dark and bleak outside. For most, the combination of the darkness outside and an obvious Nethermancer inside kept their mouths shut. It was probably just as well. The Troll Skyraider was talking loudly enough for all of them.
Shal'hari sighed again and motioned for the barkeep to refill her drink. It was going to be another long night.
SinN
Yes master, I will do as you ask.

Most servants to great dragons never end a sentance with such a word as "ask." Most of the time it would have ended with "command," or somthing to do with some sort of bidding. It was different for Hood. He considers Bahamut to be his closest friend and ally above all else. Of course he would refer to him as master, he knew his place, and the pressures on a great dragon to maintain control over his drakes.
Hood had now assumed the name of Gabrielle Borrowdawn. A fitting identity. It came from a legend his father once told him about a brave swordmaster who liberated many towns from an orc onslaught. He couldnt tell anyone his real name, and telling people he was named after an article of clothing just might get him the title of "Lunatic."
Gabrielle borded the ship on his way to Bairsave, to aqcuire the famed fireaxe, and the assistance of a certain windling named Shal "Hari.
fistandantilus4.0
Strolling in to the Roaring Ogre Bed & Breakfast in Bartertown .....

Strolling Sloshing in to the Roaring Ogre Bed & Breakfast in Bartertown .....

Gabrielle looked around from the doorway. His gaze was met by the angry customers within, glaring at him to shut the door. His eyes fell on the windling on the counter as he walked in. Again he remembered his masters words:

Look for a windling that looks like flying death. I have strong doubts to their being two windling nethermancers in Bartertown, much less Barsaive. I doubt very much that you will ahve trouble finding her.

The dragon did have a knack for knowing things. There she was, the only windling sitting garbed all in black, and glaring at a room full of trolls and orks as if she might destroy the lot of them with a look as soon as drink with them. Being that she was drinking along on the conter, out of a mug she could likely swim in, it was probably more accurate an assesment than Gabriel was exactly comfortable with. At least she'd be interesting.
SinN
Gabrielle closes the door and makes his way towards the flying death. Once at her table:
Excuse me miss? If i could have a word? I require a great deal of help, and you are the only one I can ask. I assure you there is reward.
Lady Door
Irritated by the sudden intrusion into her "private time", Shal'hari looks up at the newcomer with annoyance.
Okay, listen up, Junior. First, it's not Miss. I'm a 6th Circle Nethermancer... a journeyman, actually. Not to mention, a highly skilled 4th circle Wizard. So, if you want to address me you use the proper honorifics.
Second, this is what I like to call my "me" time. You see that large, vulgar looking Troll over there? Okay... no... see that one. The one grabbing the waitresses' ass. Yes, that one. He's my traveling companion... I'm hoping you're seeing where I'm going with this one. So, unless you have something TRULY interesting to say AND are willing to buy me another drink... why don't you just scurry along before I make your head pop off that tiny little neck of yours.
Shal'hari's lips turn up in a brittle smile and she raises her cup to the stranger. Cheers. G'bye now.
She then turns back to the window and stares out, sipping at her drink.
SinN
Very well then, I suppose I could buy ya another drink and give these scrolls as payment for your service. Please do me the honor as to listening for a moment. What we can do can save millions.

Hood stands looking as serious as ever
Lady Door
The words "drink" and "scrolls" catch Shal'hari's attention. Turning back to look at the man behind her she shrugs.
Very well... I'll take a look at these scrolls. If they interest me, we'll talk. The drink you owe me regardless... oh, and never try to plead your case to a Nethermancer with "we could save millions". Just doesn't really work.
SinN
Well noted.
Gaberielle Sits across from her pulling the scrolls from his robes. Handing them to the flying death.
Here you are Shal"Hari, as promised
Lady Door
Shal'hari stands and looks at the scrolls laying out on the table. Walking over to one, she regards it critically. Picking up *The Deathstaff of Shal'hari she taps the end against the scroll case and then looks back up at the man.
Open them. Stepping back, she waits for the man to do as she's asked. She pulls a small pair of reading glasses from her cloak's pocket and slides them on.

[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Geez paranoid much..?
Gaberielle opens the scrolls and places them in front of Shal"Hari.

[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Shal'hari's little eyes go large behind the thin glass lenses. Constrict...Skeletal Hands? My, my, my... She looks up at the man as she quickly rolls the scrolls back up and tucks them in their case.
Very well... you have my attention. Shal'hari slips the glasses back into her pocket and takes a seat, perched on one end of the scroll case.
SinN
Hood speaks in a low-whisper. So that the conversation is hoped to be private. The loud, booming voice of the troll seemed to work as well as a white noise generator. I guess there wasnt much difference between the trolls of my time and the trolls of this. Titan would love that.
Well for starters, I need to retrieve the Fireaxe your friend has over there. It is integral to finding the lost citadel. The lost star, called Findas' Flight by some, the Citadel in the Sky, will be impossible to locate without it. Rest assured, I plan to return it to him once we've finished. I know it was used to destroy the Horror Wintersbreathe. The horrors pattern is tied to the citidel, and now so is the axe. I wish to aquire you, and the axe, both vital to finding the citedal. Now pointing to the scrolls.
Though this is your reward now, the rewards when we get to The Citadel will be even greater.
Lady Door
Shal'hari's raises a surprised eyebrow and leans in closer to the human. It wouldn't do to have Norn pick this time to be observant.
You say you need his axe... and you need me. I'm taking this to mean that you have no need of the troll, himself?
SinN
Absolutley not, the treasure is not for him.
Hood raises his eyebrows and smiles
So, what do you think?
Lady Door
The chance to part ways with my over-large companion is appealing... however, you forget... I've been to that Citadel. I know what lives there. There were more ... dark things then Wintersbreathe lurking in that place. It will take more then promised bits of unknown treasure to gain my help. I need something a little more... solid, a little more real before I agree to anything.
SinN
I am aware of you past expeirences in the Citidel, which is why I seek your aid as a guide. So, What did you have in mind?
Lady Door
My weight in gold, half now and half upon our return from the Citadel. After all, not only are you asking me to return to that place but you are also asking me to help you aquire an item from one with whom I have begun to form a pattern. The cost of severing this pattern is great.
I would also require a percentage of any treasure found within the Citadel. After all, that would only be fair. And an individual as well funded and well traveled as you should have no problems obliging my request. Do we have a deal?
SinN
Im not as well funded as you might think. And as for traveled, this place is foreign to me. Maybe one day I'll be able to explain that to you, but as for now I dont have much. At least not enough to pay your asking price. Is there something else that can be done?
Lady Door
Shal'hari sighs. This boy really needs to learn how to bargain. Still...
Tell me, where did you get these scrolls? One of them in particular interests me.
SinN
An old friend. I wish to keep him out of this. Im sure he wishes the same. Tell you what, you keep the scrolls, I pay you ten gold peices and one hundred silver, and whatever you can carry out of the citedal. Except ofcourse what is designated for me. Which Im sure wont be much. Please Shal"Hari, thats everything I have.
Lady Door
Done.
Shal'hari stands and slides the scroll case into the strap on the side of her bag. I'll take half now. Half upon return. Not here though. Norn may be simple, but he's not entirely without intelligence. Meet me upstairs, suite 5 in 30 minutes. Come alone.
With that, Shal'hari slips a coin onto the table to pay for her drink and hefts the bag onto her back. She nods to her mysterious new partner and then flies for the stairs, avoiding the drunken hands that try to snag her as she flies by.
SinN
Hood sits, trying to keep attention from himself. He waits the half hour and begins to make his way to the windlings room.
fistandantilus4.0
Proceed to room. You guys are slow. smile.gif
SinN
Gabe steps into the room.
So for starters, what do you say you tell me about the citdel, what to expect and all. And hold the sarcasm to a minimum please.
Lady Door
The windling looks down from her perch on a beam running across the ceiling. She cocks an eyebrow and sets down the scrolls she'd been rifling through.
Shut the door. This isn't a conversation for prying ears. Shal'hari waits for the man to do as she asks.
As for sarcasm, well that's part of the Nethermancer package. You want what you paid for, right? She smirks and makes her way to top of the dresser, where a small glass of amber liquid waits.
The Citadel. It was a floating kaer, built who knows how long ago by who knows what people. The entire thing was invisible to the naked eye. We only found it when the prow of our ship punctured its outer wall. Shal'hari gets a faraway look in her eyes as she remembers the horror. Looking inside the bubble, we saw a city that surrounded a tower. The captain of our ship put together an exploratory party... I was included, of course. Only three of us made it back out. The city was entirely populated with the undead. Cadaver-men. At the base of the tower, laired a Wormskull and another Horror Named Wintersbreath. Shal'hari downs a generous portion of the amber liquid. Wintersbreath we killed. The Wormskull still lives, as far as I know. The undead kept coming. We couldn't fight them all. We ran. Out of a crew of thirty, five of us survived. Several of our number sacrificed themselves to hold the line while we ran. Shal'hari sighs and looks up at the human. Knowing all of this, you still want to go? Who is this secret master that would have you throw your life away?... If I were you, I would consider a different line of work.
SinN
Gabe closes the door.
He laughs a bit at the last comment.
I have, many times. But as you can see, Im still around. He doesnt wish for me to sacrafice my life. He wishes to show me something. Something I would have never understood before. He beleives I am strong enough top survive, and to ensure you survive as well. He wouldnt send you to die either. Though based on the things Ive heard about you, and meeting you firsthand, I doubt I'll need to worry about you. Hes not like the others though. Hes kind. I dont serve him becuase hes my master, I serve him becuase he is my closest friend and ally. But thats quite enough about him.
A town full of the undead? Sounds familair. I assure you that there is very little that will frighten me. You wouldnt beleive the things Ive seen. Maybe Ill be able to share them with you some day.
Now what do you think would the best form of attack for the wormskull?
Lady Door
He? ... wouldn't send me to die? .. others of his kind?! This just keeps getting better and better. Shal'hari takes another drink of the amber liquid. She snorts when he asks the best way to kill a Wormskull. You ask for its weakness? It doesn't have one. The best way to fight one is from a great distance. Barring that, when you hit it... make sure it doesn't get back up. You will not survive a drawn-out fight. It will kill you.
She sighs and pushes the glass away. She eyes the man in front of her and leans back on her hands.
Would you agree that a good working relationship is dependent on honesty, future companion?
SinN
Gaberial eyes her back Couriously.
I would. Why do you ask?
Lady Door
Good. Then I hope you understand that what I'm going to ask you is solely for the purpose of building our trust. She stands up. First, I would ask for a demonstration of your Talent.

SinN
Ofcourse.
Gaberial stands. Knowing he's without a guitar, decides to sing without it. He begins to sing a song he wrote right after his parents died. Its a somber tune, that usually put the faint hearted to tears. He even thought he saw Gemini shed a tear before she quickly wiped it away. Hobbes definatley did for completely different reasons though.
Lady Door
Shal'hari nods, her expression un-readable. He chooses a song about death and grieving? Interesting. Nethermancer... quite definitely a Nethermancer.
Thank you, Gabriel. My second question: You know who I am, ... what I am, what Disciplines I follow. Yet, I do not the same of you. I think that for both of us to travel, work, and risk death together we should both be familiar with each other's gifts and talents. More likely to stay alive that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012