Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fast Pace
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Trigger
Been thinking about this one for awhile...was nothing like it in the BBB or Street Magic, so I decided to make one of my own.

Fast Pace

Cost:
.25 per level

This power allows an adept to move quicker than normal. Each level of Fast Pace increases the adept's base meters per Combat Round by 2. Additionally, each level adds a +1 dice pool modifier to all Running tests.
Thain
This makes senes, especially for Athlete types, but I don't think I'd ever use it myself. Should it have a cap though? +48m per turn seems excessive....
Moon-Hawk
It has a cap. In order to get +48m you'd need 24 levels of this power. That would require a magic rating of 24, and using 6 of them for this power.
With a magic rating of 6, you can't have any powers higher than rating 6, so that's spending 1.5 power points to get +12m/turn.
Xenith
Theres already a version of this power in existence; Improved Ability -- Running

But I'll bite;
The cost is plane too cheap. It should be .5 /level with a +1 to base speed and a +1 to running tests. And even thats a little iffy.
Eryk the Red
It's the running equivalent to Great Leap. I like it. I actually implemented something similar for an NPC adept. My version only benefits sprinting, though. .5 PP per level. Add 2 dice per level to all sprinting rolls and increase the number of meters per hit by the level.

It'd probably need some balancing if I were to open it up to players.
Butterblume
QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
It'd probably need some balancing if I were to open it up to players.

Or not. Running barely kills someone, doesn't seduce security guards and basically doesn't solve problems, so there is hardly a need to balance it against other powers, as long as the adept doesn't go faster than a scooter nyahnyah.gif.
Kyoto Kid
...man, and I wanted to go Faster than a Speeding Vespa...
Trigger
Well, when I was writing the power I was balancing it against the other powers in the BBB and Street Magic, specifically Great Leap, Iron Lungs, and Freefall. They all also fall on that .25 per level mark...
Eryk the Red
Well, 6 levels of this power would make you almost as fast as a speeding Dodge Scoot while sprinting (assuming you are an excellent runner, with 12 total dice to sprint naturally). But that seems okay to me. An athlete adept (presumably with other complementary powers) that can catch up to a slowish vehicle on foot seems pretty cool to me.
Trigger
That was what I was thinking when I wrote the power up....there is all this talk about the Athlete's Way in the BBB and Street Magic, but there is no power for sprinting athletes besides Improved Ability (Sprinting). Jumping has two powers for it (Great Leap and Improved Ability (Gymnastics)) so why can't running? Hence me making this power.
Eryk the Red
I would specify that the bonus dice from the power only benefit sprinting tests, rather than all running tests, though.
Trigger
Nah, I don't think so...because what about long distance running? Why shouldn't the power work for that as well. Running only has a few Specializations (Sprinting, Long Distance, Urban, Wilderness) and I can't see the power only being restricted to Sprinting. This power combined with the secndary effect of Iron Lungs would make an awesome Long Distance running adept.
Sir_Psycho
I imagine this adept on Shadowruns just pelting down the road towards a corp compound, Great Leaping the front gates, running past the shooting guards, around the compound a few times, up a floor, through a window. He then sprints around the inside of the compound, dodging bullets and knocking over personnel. He finally gets to the lab he's supposed to, picks up a data chip and leaves the way he came. He outruns all the security guards, and has a brief chase with the Sec-Citymaster before jumping away and running through the trees. No security guards or even cameras manage to ID him, as he was running too fast.
Eryk the Red
The problem there is that now you have a power that is in all ways better than Improved Ability (Running). It does the same stuff and more. Whereas Great Leap, the nearest equivalent to your power, only works for a specific use of Gymnastics (jumping), but, to compensate, has a side benefit. It's more an issue of balancing cost and effect of powers.
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
The problem there is that now you have a power that is in all ways better than Improved Ability (Running). It does the same stuff and more. Whereas Great Leap, the nearest equivalent to your power, only works for a specific use of Gymnastics (jumping), but, to compensate, has a side benefit. It's more an issue of balancing cost and effect of powers.

Which is why you have, after he pulls Sir Psycho's trick a few times, monofilament wire nets in his path in the corridors...

"It slices, it dices..."
Trigger
Yeah, after thinking about it, I do have to agree that the power should only effect Sprinting and not Running as a whole.
Trigger
Actually, I am starting to rethink that....there are already powers that break the balance (if you set the balance by Improved Ability). Look at Enhanced Perception...it does the same thing as Improved Ability (Perception) for the same price, but also adds the extra dice to Assensing tests as well.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012