Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outremer
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hermit
The Runner Havens book suddenly adds another district to Seattle, a bunch of Islands that were never before mentioned, one even having been shown as SSC turf on several old SR maps. Where did Outremer come from? Have I missed something? Was there a land swap, giant construction projects, and rising ground between 65 and 70 (all the rock that disappeared from the sinking central valley in CalFree had to go somewhere after all).

I'm a bit puzzled. Is there any official explanation to this or is this just another case of SR4 making 'improvements' on SR's background?
Ancient History
There's a shiteload of islands in the Puget Sound in real life.
hermit
I know. It's just that these are predominantly not among them. The lower three islands MIGHT be Eagle, McNeill and Fox Islands (though, if they are, they have somehow changed shape). They just never showed up on previous SR material.

And Bainbridge and Vashon Islands USED to be part of the SSC, I'm sure of that. Neither were McNeill, Fox or Eagle islands ever mentioned as part of Seattle.
Cheops
I think that they have been mentioned now because in RL those islands are starting to get a lot more densly populated.
Ancient History
QUOTE (hermit)
And Bainbridge and Vashon Islands USED to be part of the SSC, I'm sure of that. Neither were McNeill, Fox or Eagle islands ever mentioned as part of Seattle.

Which could explain the legal/territorial wrangling in that part of the chapter.
Crossfire
I don't know if it could be useful but outremer comes from French. Outremer means "the colour ultramarine" or "lapis lazuli". With an hyphen (outre-mer) it means overseas. How come there is a district with a French name in Seattle? Hmm, I suddenly remember Bellevue... anyone knows if there's any history with French in the Seattle area?

Peace!

Crossfire
Homme-qui-rigole
In the One Stage Before adventure (we miss you, Nigel Findley), wich is set in 2054, Vasher Island is a luxury neighbourhood for Corp exec. IIRC, the synopsis don't mention any cross-bording considerations. Even Jet Black's gang come to the island.

The 1st Seattle sourcebook, published in 1990, didn't mention anything about this island, but considering that was the first or second sourcebook ever, it's not surprising that the unexperimented developpement team missed that.

Then OSB was out in 1994 or so, maybe Nigel wanted to fill that hole in some way.

The New Seattle sourcebook was out in 2000. No word about the islands. A shame.

So, I think that Runner Havens try to make a bridge between Nigel's description and the 2070 era of Seattle. They push the concept to the extreme, though. I can't figure how corps can fund, buy, build island, and then build ARCOLOGIES in 5 years. But that's just my opinion.

But if someone can find reference about Vasher Island belonging to SSC, maybe we can figure what's going on.
Crakkerjakk
Outremer is also the name of the holy lands during crusader times. Not sure if its one specific area, such as Jerusalem, or the whole region in general. At least, I know thats what the Templars called it.

Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Crakkerjakk)
Outremer is also the name of the holy lands during crusader times. Not sure if its one specific area, such as Jerusalem, or the whole region in general. At least, I know thats what the Templars called it.

Yes, but it needs the dash.

Nous devons parler en francais pour intimider les gens qui ne peut pas comprendre.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (Crakkerjakk @ Feb 28 2007, 01:19 AM)
Outremer is also the name of the holy lands during crusader times.  Not sure if its one specific area, such as Jerusalem, or the whole region in general.  At least, I know thats what the Templars called it.

Nous devons parler en francais pour intimider les gens qui ne peut pas comprendre.

That's modern French. Waaay back when (and especially when anglicized), it's Outremer.

[ Spoiler ]
hermit
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (hermit @ Feb 27 2007, 03:50 PM)

Which could explain the legal/territorial wrangling in that part of the chapter.

Territorial wrangling? Maybe it's because I bought the translated book, but at least in German, there's little more 'territorial wrangling' other than the SSC expressing concern about the Metroplex expanding onto the previously undeveloped islands, because flora and fauna might suffer in the process.

An invasion and land grab should, however, provoke more of a reaction ...

Then again, if Mr. Findley mentioned Vashon Island being a corp enclave, maybe it indeed just was neglected in New Seattle.
JesterX
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Outremer is also the name of the holy lands during crusader times.  Not sure if its one specific area, such as Jerusalem, or the whole region in general.  At least, I know thats what the Templars called it.

"Nous devons parler en français pour intimider les gens qui ne PEUVENT pas comprendre."

C'est à la troisième personne du pluriel.
Crakkerjakk
Tengo un pero grande en mis pantalones. Mi esposa y yo quiero los margaritas en las yachtas.(sp?)
Herald of Verjigorm
mispost, ignore this
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (JesterX)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Feb 28 2007, 04:09 AM)

"Nous devons parler en français pour intimider les gens qui ne PEUVENT pas comprendre."

C'est à la troisième personne du pluriel.

Vous avez raison. Je suis nul en francais. Je vais me suicider.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012