Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Geek Hierarchy Chart
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
PBTHHHHT
The Geek Hierarchy

Apparently videogamers rank themselves less geeky than roleplaying gamers, at least everyone consider themselves less geeky than furries...
nezumi
Ren faire fan/occasional comic book fan/anime fan who prefers subtitles/roleplaying gamer/heinlein fan/amateur RPG/fantasy author.

So first or second row in almost every column. That said, I'm glad they didn't include 'people who blow $150 and hundreds of hours so he can write more realistic RPG rules' or I would've been sunk.
hyzmarca
Qoy qeylIs puqloD
Qoy puqbe'pu'
yoHbogh malthbogh je' SuvwI'
Sey'moHchu' may' 'Iw
maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
nI'be'yInmaj 'ach wovqu'!

batlh maHghbej'jyoqIjDaq
vavpu'ma' DImuvpa'reH maSuvtaH
Qu' DamevQo' maSuvtaH, ma'ov
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (nezumi)
That said, I'm glad they didn't include 'people who blow $150 and hundreds of hours so he can write more realistic RPG rules' or I would've been sunk.

Would still be ranked higher than a furry. wink.gif
HullBreach
QUOTE (nezumi)
So first or second row in almost every column. That said, I'm glad they didn't include 'people who blow $150 and hundreds of hours so he can write more realistic RPG rules' or I would've been sunk.

Looking at shelf full of Janes books and other equipment reference manuals, Human anatomy books, and a medical manual about the effects of gunshot wounds.

"I wouldn't know anything about that"
Lindt
I might argue to make the arrow between Larpers and P&P gamers a double ended one.
There have been moments in the last few years where I have really wanted to club a player with a length of pvc.
PBTHHHHT
Change it to a piece of bamboo/wood and you're on par with the SCA folks. wink.gif
Lindt
Meh, rattan dosent work as well as a good copy of the BBB to bludgeon your players.
Trigger
I have found something better than the BBB to bludgeon players with...that like super hero rpg with the like thousand page core book...that is a good beating tool.
Jestercat
I'm all over the map. Not furry, but you could call me fur-friendly. That, and I do academic research in game development processes, and the application of rules-based AI to pen-and-paper RPG rules development is going to be my doctoral thesis. I think that makes me the Overgeek or something. Hell, I think I'm geekier just for making up the word Overgeek. LOL. nyahnyah.gif
cristomeyers
Did multiple college level reports on Silent Hill and the relationships between different groups of gamers...

...and pulled them all of with no lower than a B and multiple A's.
HullBreach
QUOTE (Jestercat)
That, and I do academic research in game development processes, and the application of rules-based AI to pen-and-paper RPG rules development is going to be my doctoral thesis.

This sounds truely fascinating! I'd love to have a read through that!
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Lindt)
Meh, rattan dosent work as well as a good copy of the BBB to bludgeon your players.

but you can definately get a better snap and crack out of rattan than you can the BBB, plus you dont have to worry about damaging the book, versus just adding a layer of duct tape to the rattan.

me, Fur friendly, fanfic writer, can take or leave subtitles, never tries artwork, trekkie, with books that they have based a sci-fi channel show on, can larp or pnp, only occasionally edge into the erotic storylines and my character has always been based off me so i'm guilty of putting myself in my stories.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Trigger)
I have found something better than the BBB to bludgeon players with...that like super hero rpg with the like thousand page core book...that is a good beating tool.

...ahh, you must be referring to the Hero System core rules. Have them, wish somebody around here (Portland) liked playing Supers. Man using that book to beat players with rates at least as an 8d6 Killing attack.
craigpierce
I am only slightly less geeky than the guy who made this chart in the first place nyahnyah.gif
PBTHHHHT
then again, you're reading it and commenting about it on an rpg forum. What does that say about your geekiness. nyahnyah.gif
Hida Tsuzua
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...ahh, you must be referring to the Hero System core rules. Have them, wish somebody around here (Portland) liked playing Supers. Man using that book to beat players with rates at least as an 8d6 Killing attack.

I'll have to say that it's 24d6 Normal damage. Then again that'll kill most people regardless.
Crazy Elf
That list doesn't work if you happen to be a furry that is also a published sci-fi author.
Wraithshadow
Hmm. They left out board games, card games, collectible card games, miniatures games, and collectible miniatures games.

Lagomorph
whats interesting is that the lines are double arrowed when connecting to furries, indicating that furries thing every one is more geeky than they are, and every one thinks they are less geeky than furries.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012