Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Table for One
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
fistandantilus4.0
Link to Table for One OOC Thread

The day was unusualy warm, although that was nothing new really. For Luthelien, every day had seemed unusually warm. She was adjusting quickly though. A year out side of the kaer under the open sun, it was a wonder. He father Valandil had already begun construction on the House's new home. Most true elven homes took years to grow. The tree had to grow and be shaped very slowly. Ties and leads directing branches in a circular pattern to form the walls of a house, multiple trees in a circle, others that would be grown to massive size for the higher levels. For may homes it took decades and great patience.

Valandil had patience, but he also had his father's grimoires. And his grand fathers, and his great grandfathers. All of the men in her family line had been strong elementalist, and all were ver meticulous with their notes. Living in Wyrm Wood, one simply had to have the proper elven home. It would not do for the descendants to not know how to make repairs. And like his sires, her father was a talented elementalist. He followed the strict path of Sa’mistisha , and was currently following the path of the Wizard. But he had planned for years for the construction of a proper home on the surface. He used his elementalist powers now as if he had been using them for years.

So Luthelien watched as her father worked his great magic. She watched as he raised a new tree from a seedling to a tall strong oak, as the branches bent at his urging to form the starting walls of what would be the east wing, all three stories of it. Her sister Kyla watched as well. As usual, Kyla's critical eye was looking more towards how the defenses would work than how the structure was made. Kyla always thought of such things first.

A soft voice to her left was the only warning she had
Your father's work is quite exqusite. Even when we were children, he was planning on building his new home. His home of wood, and not stone. You should be proud. There are few elementalist that still know the old ways of growing homes. The proper way.

The smooth silky voice was familiar. It was Orelinda', their aunt, her father's sister. Luthelien's mother had no sisters, no other kin besides her husband and her two girls. Many families haad been broken by the time in the Dark. Orelinda' was family it was true, but she was ever a schemer.

Being raised on the stories of the intrigues of Court had taught her a keen mind, her father had said. One that she used qutie well. Kyla often said that Aunt Orelinda's keen mind should perhaps be put to better pursuits than plotting within her own family. Unfortunately, like thier father, Oreline' was also an accomplished warrior and elementalist, and currently followed the way of the Troubadour. Her silvered tongue was as quick as her balde had ever been, and as deadly. She had always seemed bored in the kaer. There was only so much you could do in such a confined area. She had seemed much happier since the Throalic Force had helped them to open the kaer.

What set her on edge though wasn't Aunt Orelinde'. Luthelien had always been careful to stay on her good side. No, what made her shoulders tense was Amrod stading next to his mother. The older of her two sons, he always felt the need to prove himself. Following the path of the warrior meant, to him, that the easiest way to do so was to out fight his cousins, Luthelien and Kylathien. Usually Luthelien. He was tall and black of hair, like his father. He had a way of glowering and smiling at the same time. Other women seemed to enjoy it, but for Luthelien and her sister, it just turned the stomach.

Aunt Orelinda' cotinued He'll be finished soon. I want you two to know something, so he doesn't spring it on you as one of his wicked suprises. She gave the girls a wink, like young girls gossiping over a boy might. Orelinde' was almost as old as her borther, at 150 years. But her beauty had been so enduring that by looks, she could have easily been another of the twins's sisters. She knew this, and enjoyed it. The fact that she and the twins looked much alike including their red hued hair, had only encouraged her more.

My brother has set a task for you. He wishes to send the two of you after an heirloom of our family. A very imporatant item that was lost some years ago. He is sending you off to Travar, on a hunting trip, as it were. Hunting Ork. Knowing him, he will set some false trails for you. False leads to make you run in circles. When you get to Travar, look up a human man by the name of Aristol. He is a wizard that I sometimes do business with, and owes me a favor. Talk to him, and mention my name. He will steer you right. Good luck to you both, my darling nieces. Make our family proud.

She gave a bow of her head, and moved gracefully away. Aunt Orelinde' rarely hugged, and never in public. For all of her plotting, not even Kyla could deny that Orelinde' loved the twins. Luthelien suspected she had wanted daughters.

Kyla couldn't help but snort once the pair were out of ear shot. I knew father was up to something. He's been smiling to much. Can you believe her? Trying to get us cheating already?! You remmeber the time we were to test for the second circle, and she had kept our oppponents up all night drinking?! For once I would like to know that I earned something properly.

And did you see Amrod? Always sneering. To think we share the same blood.
Lady Door
As her aunt made her way through the elves standing and admiring the growing home, Lulu mused. As was her custom, however much it infuriated her twin, she mused to herself.
Lulu was also convinced (and had been since she was a girl) that if Kyla tried hard enough, she would be able to hear her thoughts. The fact that this had yet to happen had not dampened the dream... much to her twin's continued annoyance.

Soo, we're to be set off on a quest. A family quest. Something that will not only bring honor to our line, but also restore a pattern item to our family... if Amrod does not yet have his own plan for retrieving the weapon before us, he soon will.

Watching the retreating back of her cousin brought a grimace and a shudder of disgust.

Always watching, always waiting... one would think he wasn't our cousin. I've seen the way he eyes us... and I'll never forget his temper when spurned.

Almost without thought, Lulu stroked the outline of the jagged scar that marred her body underneath her silken bodice.

I know that look, Lu. Kyla sighed, wrapping a protective arm around her sister. Don't worry. What goes around...
...comes around. Lulu finished.

Well, we had better go somewhere and practice looking surprised for when Father finds us.
Lulu sighed and turned to face her sister, dropping her voice to a whisper. and to decide what to do about our dear cousin.
fistandantilus4.0
Kyla grunted ,apparently annoyed. As she walked off towards their "temporary home" she said Stop scrunching up your face Lu. I can't hear you think. That's just an old wive's tale.

They were practicing blades an hour later in the yard when Valandil approached. He was certainly old, but still had the look of a strong and able elf. The grace of their people was that he would look that way until his last few decades left.
Come into the house my daughters. I have something I need to speak of to the two of you. Something exciting.

He turned with a smile, and walked in to the house, no doubt headed to the parlor.
Lady Door
Sliding her blade into the scabbard, Lu made her way to her sister. She raised and eyebrow and half-smiled.
This is it.

Lu crossed the threshold of the home, dusting off her pants with a casual hand. Without thinking, both sisters stopped and pressed their fingertips to their lips and then to the portrait of the elegant elven beauty gracing the entry hall.
Love you, Mother.

Entering the parlor, they found their father standing with his back to the doorway, book in one hand, unlit pipe in the other.
Lulu smiled and turned to Kyla, mouthing the words Oh, sooo dramatic.

With a wry smile and a wink, Kyla announced their presence We're here, Father.

fistandantilus4.0
Valandil turned, a look of frustration on his face. He was apaprently reading his book on pipe smoking again. He was new to it, just picking up the habit since his return from Travar. He seemed of the frame of mind that every elf gentlemen should have a proper long pipe. Getting it lit without magic however, was proving to be a problem.

Eventually he simply set the pipe down.

Luthelien, Kylathien, I have a quest for you.

Valandil paused ofr a moment, gauging his daughters reations.

Lu didn't have to be telepathic to read her sisters thoughts.
Duh. Thank you my Lord of the obvious. Get on with it please

Lu wasn't sure exactly where Kyla had picked up that word "duh". She htought she' dheard an ork use it. Father would die if he heard his daughter use an orkish word.

As you know, five years ago we opened the doors of our kaer to send out a scouting party. A party that never returned. In this party was your fine cousin Alasse, a fine a true woman. I entrusted to her a very important heirloom of our family, the shield known as HarrowGuard.

He waited again for this to set in. They had of course seen the shield before. A tall and narrow kite shield, it was fully 4 feet in length, and not quite 2 feet wide at it's top, much narrower at the base. The metal was colored an emerald green on the rim, and a green so deep as to almost be black on the face. The face was very subtly done in a leaf pattern, so that you had to look closely to see the pattern at all. It had been 10 years since they had seen the shield. On the day they began theit warrior training, their father had shown them the family armory. The shield was there, among many other shields, suits of armor, and blades. And now it was apparently lost.

While I was away in Travar, I heard mention of it. The tale I heard said that it was in the possession of an ork, that he had come by in in a raid many years ago battling some lost groups of soldiers. The ork was part of a skorcher clan called the Rune Eye. Your good cousin was apaprently not killed by horrors, but by the greed of ork raiders.

The ork's name is Kraech Yellowtusk, of the Rune Eye skorcher tribe. I hear that he is in his later years, and not as active with that band anymore, but he has recently been through Travar. I charge you, my daughters, with hunting down this ork murderer, avenging your cousin, and returning with HarrowGuard, to restore our families honor. Do you accept?

Lady Door
How could we not, Father?... I know that I speak for my sister as well as myself when I say, we are honored with this task.

Lulu remembered well her cousin, Alesse. She has been beautiful and strong. She had been the woman that Lulu had openly admired and secretly envied. To hear that her death could be laid at the hands of ork scorchers and not the Horrors, was a devastating blow. For years, Lu had imagined Alesse's death scene...darkness creeping in from all sides, while Alesse stood sure and true, sword gleaming. For that to now change, all she could see were the barbarian orcs with their dirt and filth. Who knows what terrible things were done to Alesse?
Lulu shook off the thoughts, turning her attention to her father and sister in time to hear her sister say,
...of course, Father. We will set out for Travar as soon as the necessary provisions are arranged.
fistandantilus4.0
I knew you would agree. I thank you my brave daughters. I would suggest first visiting the dwarf weaponsmith Bodar in the Trade's District. he was the one that originally identified the shield for the thief, and could tell you much about it. I am told also, that an associate of kaerch's, a human called Gars, who can be found most often in the ale houses of the city, may have some information about him. Valandil mutters something under his breath about ridiculous human names.

Gather your things my dears. You leave at dawn. The stable master has already prepared your horses.

Kyla rolled her eyes. They had taken riding lesons for the last six months. There of course was no such thing as a horse in the kaers. Kyla's idea of riding a horse was more like dominating the beast to make it go where she willed it. Unfortunately the horse's idea was more along the lines that it knew better than she did where it needed to go, and often did. Kyla did not much care for riding.

[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Without another word, Lulu turned and walked through the parlor door. Her mind was reeling.
We leave tomorrow. So soon, so much to do, so much to prepare. I will need my weapons sharpened, my supplies checked... Lu's mind continued on in a blur, carrying her to her rooms by rote.
My journal... where is it?.. Ah, there you are.
Quickly, Lu set down the task that her father had given her and Ky, taking care to note the names and locations mentioned. It was often the case that Ky would forget these details, to caught up in the excitement of the adventure. Lu often wondered how two identical twins, so alike in appearance and movement could have such different outlooks on life. Where Lu was so like her father, Ky favored their mother's temperament.

A short time late, Lu was making the final preparations for the journey. Her supplies had been packed, her horse (Gwynoheim) was fed and watered and resting comfortably, the saddle bags had been prepared and were waiting in the livery. All that was left was for Lu herself to settle down and rest, but like a child she found herself too excited for sleep.
Quietly, careful not to awake anyone, Lu crept out of her rooms and down into the wine cellar. Father had placed a lock on the wine cellar after an unfortunate albeit hilarious incident when the twins were 16. However, Lu and Ky had bribed a local weaponsmith to create them a new key, promising a bottle a month in exchange. So far, either their father had not noticed or had given up trying and turned a blind eye. Either way, it worked.
Lu used the ill-gotten key and made her way down the cellar steps. She walked the cellar path by memory, stopping to select a bottle. A few moments later she was tucked into a warm corner by the cellar window, drinking straight from the bottle and staring up at the beams that made the ceiling.
I'll miss it here. What if I fail? What if I disgrace Father?
fistandantilus4.0
The dawn brought a sharp rap at Luthelien's door. All her clothes for the day had alreayd been laid out by a servnat. Her pack was where she had left it, her swod sitting next to her bed, freshly oiled. The thing about dawn outside the kaer, there was so damn much of it. The real sun was definetely much brighter than it needed to be.

Kyla Get up, we're late. The sound of boots moving away from the door said that she wan't waiting. How anyone so surly could be a morning person was simply beyond comprehension.
Lady Door
"Must not hate sister, must not hate sister..."Lu muttered.

Cursing the sun and it's habit of shining in the morning, Lu dressed quickly. Splashing cold water on her face helped to jolt her awake and into the here and now. Slinging her pack onto her back, Lu strode out the door. With deft fingers she quickly braided her long red hair, thinking for not the first time and probably not the last, of Alachia.

Soon she was outside. Standing beside her horse was her father. He was giving Ky a few words of last minute advice. Lu could tell from her posture and her expression that Ky was only paying lip service, that her attention was now focused on the road ahead.

Good morning, Father. I'm ready.
fistandantilus4.0
Valandil kissed both of his daughters on the forehead, taking a moment to regard each of them.

Remember your training. But more than that, remember your people. You are taught in the proper ways of the court. You are Warriors, and ladies of the House Calaelen. Make us proud, and come back to me soon.

Kyla smiled and stepped into her stirrup. She barely took time to sit before starting off at a gallop, heading north for Travar.

Valandil smiled, and handed Luthelien a coin purse.
Your sister, always in such a hurry that she forgets to bring even money. You to take care of each other Luthelien. I will be waiting for you. I shall have your proper rooms ready I hope.

He offered a hand to help his daughter up. Beyond the yard, Luthelien saw Orelinde' and her husband Malgor watching. Orelinde' waved and blew a kiss.
Lady Door
"We will make you proud, Father... and I will watch over my younger sister." Lulu watched her Father's face carefully, as she always did when the subject of which sister was older came up.
Nice try, Luthielien. Go now.With a smile, her father slapped the stallion on the rump, sending it into a full-on gallop.

As Lulu passed through the gate she returned her aunt's kiss. Though her eyes did not miss the fact that her cousin was absent from the family send-off.

Interesting...very interesting.

KY! WAIT UP!
fistandantilus4.0
The ride north was long and altogether quite boring. Kyla already had a route mapped following the Byrose river up to Travar. Kyla never even considered taking a river boat up, as it was even harder on her stomach than riding was. Long boutes of boredom were punctuated by the occassional battle of the wills between Kylathein and her mount, usually at a fording or a ride down a hill. Battles of will that Kyla ususally lost.

After a long tenday ride, the great city of Travar was finally in sight. It's magnificent white spires called out to the air, offering sghts never seen and scarcely dreamed of the by kaer-born twins. Even more magnificent was the massive air ship docks erected among the spires of the city. Half a dozen air ships were docked at the city, the crews moving about the decks like industrious bees.

As they rode closer, the great white walls of the city beckoned. This was where they're quest would begin. More than that though, Travar promised a return to civilization. After 20 years of life below the ground, they were coming to a true metropolis. Legends of T'skrang and windlings buzzed through their minds. The prospect of actually flying, and not just hearing the tales dizzied their minds.

Look at the Lu. Have you ever dreamed of anything so magnificent?! Imange it, the city bustling with so many people! People like we've never even seen! What do you think the clothes will be like? The food! Could you imagine actually flying on an airship!?

If Travar is this great, what must Sereathra or Shoshara be like? The City of Spires...
Lady Door
"It is beautiful. Can you imagine what it would be like to live within a city like this? To hear a t'skrang troubadour sing over dinner, to travel via airship to any place you could want? It must be like..."Lu's voice drained away, as a powerful pang overcame her. In her minds' eye, another image superimposed itself over that of Travar. Where Travar was industry, she saw now tall rising trees draped in vines. Homes bedecked is flowers of all kinds, all surrounding one massive tree. A palace made of oak and rose. The longing she suddenly felt brought tears to her eyes. Lu turned her head in time to see Ky's head drop and a single tear fall.
Oh, Ky...
With a visible effort, Lu pulled herself upright and once again beheld the city. The layered image was gone, and now she saw only Travar.
Come on, Ky. We have business in there...and if we play our cards right, maybe a little pleasure?
Ky turned and smiled at Lulu, all trace of sadness evaporated from her features.
Race you!and then Ky was gone, riding pell-mell towards the open gates. Lu laughed and chased after.
fistandantilus4.0
Kyla is off with a squeel of glee. Apparently running flat out is what this horse does best, and for once, rider and animal are in complete agreeement. THey reach the line of people waiting to enter the cities great walls well before Lu.

Kyla catches her breath and shouts over her shoulder
I thought you wanted to race?! When are you going to speed that nag up? Gon'dol and I are bored.

Lu Gon'dol? You named your horse Rock head?!

Kyla simply smiled. Ahead of them they could see people doing all manner of things at the gate. It as unnusual seeing so many talents being performed. small paintings and weavings were being done. People were singing or dancing. It was liek a small fair. No one smiled at it though. The truth of it was that the guards were inspecting everyone for the horror taint. If they could not perform an artistic talent properly, it was a sign of the corruption. If someone failed to perform proerly, they could well be killed on sight. Still... so many talents.

The crowd gasped collectively as one of the massive air ships pulled away from the docks and moved slowly out in to the sky over head. Nearly two hundred feeet long, with gigantic sails furrowiing in the wind, it was easily the most amazing sight many of them had ever seen. The airship docks were Travar's premier attraction, and one that did not fail to impress.

After nearly an hour they had finally arrived at the front gates. The human guardsman in the cities livery looked the pair over. More than a few seemed impressed, and not with their armament.

A well worn looking human man probably in his middle years stepped forward holding a slate tablet and chalk.

Welcome to the great city of Travar, my ladies. Names please , and reason for your visitation to the city? And please, if you would, perform your talents for us.

Kyla, still a bit rough on her dwarvish, jumped form her horse on responded... haltingly
Yes good .... man.... we do art for you. I do dance.
She cheeks pulled in as she looked angered by her poor dwarven, but at least seh had gotten her point across. She stepped back, performed a perfect deep bow, and began to dance. It was an old dance, meant to be used in court for visiting dignataries. It was full of sweeps, spins, and bows, arms moving gracefully. She performed it perfectly, especially impressive for the fact that she was in full armor. When she finished a few minutes later, it was to the sound of applause from a few on lookers. She smiled at the guardsman.

Good?

The guard replied. Good enough to get paid for it I'd reckon. And you?

Kyla's face scrunched as she tried to translate the dwarvish and decide whether or not she'd been insulted. As she didn't lash out, she seemed to decide she wasn't sure enough
Lady Door
Lu snickered quietly to herself. Even if she didn't understand the Dwarven perfectly, she could still read body language well enough to know what the guard meant.
In slightly better Dwarven then Ky, Lu introuduced herself:
Good...,ah,..day, sir. My name is Luthielien Calaelen, and this is my uh... twin...sister, Kylethien. We are of Kaer Vordell. This is our first time outside of our home lands and we wished to see the great city of Travar. Would you like to see a demonstration of my talent?
At the guards nod, Lu pulled a piece of slender oak and a thin, wicked whittling knife from a well-worn pouch carried at her side. With deft strokes, Lu quickly carved an intricate rose and lily pattern down one side of the oak.
Skill Test
[ Spoiler ]

May we enter?
fistandantilus4.0
The gate guard simply nodded his assent and waived forward the next group seeking entrance. Apparently it took quite a lot to stir loose anything besides suspicion from the well seasoned man.

The pair walked through the great gates of Travar. The city walls were a hold over of the Citadel that ensconced the great city, and as such, the walls were thick and magically enhanced. The runes that guarded the great city were still present, still lined with precious orichalcum.

Some would say that it would have to be a wealthy city indeed to leave such a treasure sitting idle. Those same people would be ones that had not lived during the Scourge, and did not believe, did not know, that every protection imaginable would be needed against the horrors, were they to come against the city. These small minds had never faced the malevolent blackness without and within. Those that had, knew better. And so the orichalcum stayed.

After the great white walls of Travar, the twins came out into sunlight shining down upon them. The squinted, as their eyes were still not used to the harsh light so suddenly. They had not realized how long they had stood in the shadows of the great wall. Still, as their vision cleared, it was almost as if the gates had been designed this way. The first thing that their sight took in was the spires and air docks of the great city set against the setting sun.

Closer to the ground, shops and inns stood open, and gawkers filled the sides of the street shouting their wares. Guards in well kept uniforms kept the populace moving along the main thorough fair. The cobble stone streets were filled with people of all races, moving about, inspecting goods, seeking rooms. The finest inns Travar had to offer were just down the street, or so said one shouting young ork. The best wine at the Singing Maiden, according to the human boy. So many sights and sounds the kaer born twins had never before seen and heard assaulted their senses. Luckily, Kyla's keen eye also caught the sign for guides to the city. A steal at just 2 silver a day (according to their hawkers).

Kyla turned to her sister.I scarcely know where to being. Perhaps we should get one of those guides, someone that speaks Sperethiel as well as that dwarf tongue. And then maybe a room? This place.. it's all so.. alive.

As if her words held some here to fore unknown magic, a small human boy seemingly materialized in front of them.
Here now my lovely Ladies, name is Quipp. Finest guide in all the city, true as I am short. The boy grinned broadly. He was in fact short, and rather scruffy looking. The elven twins were not the best at guessing human years, but he looked to be shortly into his first decade, perhaps thirteen. He did speak the elven tongue at least, but his accent was horrible. Show you lovely ladies the city, where ever you care to go. And perhaps some other places besides. I'm smart enough to know that where you want to go ain't always the place ya' ought ta' be. And I'll do it fer half the price those tuka would do it fer.
Lady Door
With amused eyes, Lulu regarded the little human known as Quipp.

And tell me, Quipp, why should my sister and I hire one such as you and not one of your older, perhaps more experienced brethren?

Lulu waited for a response, one hand resting casually on the hilt of her knife, the other wrapped around the reins of Gwynoheim. She pressed her body to Gwyn's side, keeping her money purse tight between her and the massive mount.
fistandantilus4.0
Just 'cause they're older, don't mean they're more experienced.

The boys demeanor had took on a more serious look. He almost looked insulted.
And 'sides that, you'd have a hard time finding one that can speak proper sperethial. least wise one that can say more than "how do you do" and a few nasty insults, just so's he recognizes him when folks say 'em to 'em.

Kyla snorted You call that proper!? She laughed. Most men did not enjoy Kyla's laugh as much as Lu's. It often came across as sarcastic and mocking. That's generally exactly what it was, as it was now.
Lady Door
Not now, Ky.Lu shot her sister a pleading "knock it off' glance and turned back to the boy.
Very well, Quipp. You make a good point. How much to engage your services?
fistandantilus4.0
Silver piece for the day. Plus 1% of any deals you may make. I do of course except tiips for excellent services. The boy sketched a bow that would have done most humans proud for the grace of it. It certainly wans't learned in any court, nor was it meant to insult. The boy simply had a natural way of moving taht was rather pleasing in a human.
Lady Door
Lu arched her eyebrows and looked at Ky over the boys arched back. The look she sent her, telepathy or no, clearly said, "Well?"
fistandantilus4.0
Kyla shrugged. IF we take him, at least we don't have to listen to some other urchin's pitch.

Quipp grinned widelyThat's the spirit
Lady Door
Very well, Quipp. You're hired. First job, find us an inn. Good beds, good food and good hay for a good price. Once we're out of the hustle and bustle, you'll see your coin. Deal?

fistandantilus4.0
I can get ya' in miss, but how am I to knwo that you're good on your word, being that we've just struck our first tentative bargain? Five copper up front to deal the deal, the rest at the end of the day.
Lady Door
Lu regards the boy with a speculative eye. Glancing over at Ky, she gives her a look then glances around, hoping to convey the message: Keep a look out.
You know, if she had done the practice excercises I gave here when we were younger, she and I could be communicating telepathically right now, but, no... she had to spend her time galavanting around with Edmund.
*grumble, grumble*
Still keeping her money pouch between her and the steed, Lu reached in and pulled out the coppers. Cinching the pouch shut and re-tying it to her belt, Lu scanned the area. Her father had warned her about the thieves in Travar. She was not about to be taken advantage of, well, at least not yet.
Here. Now, about that inn??
Lu turned and followed Quipp as he near bolted down the lane, tugging on her sisters' sleeve as they went, interrupting her rather torrid conversation with a rather scruffy and desirable looking human man.
Not now, Ky!Lu said under her breath.
We are seriously going to have to sort out your priorities, Lu. was Ky's reply.
fistandantilus4.0
Quipp leads you through the bustling streets of Travar. Soon you're off the main thorough faire, off in to the sides streets that seem to do business with the actual citizens of the city, and not the passing merchants. The gawkers are less present, and the scent of the food has less of an assault-the-nostrils quality to it.

Before long, you up to the stable house entrance of a small, cozy looking in. The botttom floor is stone, built with wooden frame work for the next two floors. The building is built large and sturdy, no doubt to be able to support troll customers as well. It's name reads The Dozing Docket. It's an out of the way sort of place, looking more like the sort of Inn the locals would come to for a drink and an easy night out, and perhaps a stay over if they've had too much.

Quipp quickly approaches the stable boy and whispers into his ear. The boy is elven, likely a year or two younger than Quipp. The sandy haired elf runs back in side, and comes back out followed by a human man. THe man has the look of someone who spends most of time around live stock. A solid belly under a woolen red shirt, hard course arms, and a day past a needed shave seem to desrcibe his character at a glance.

'Ere now Quipp, what business ya' brought in today? 'Ow are ya' ma ladies? Name is Kariburn, and I's is the keeper of stock 'ere at de Docket. Will ye be keepin' them two fine stalions 'ere this evenin'? Our prices are good and our grain is better, that I can assure ya' of.

Kyla turns to Lu whispering quietly in sperethiel Why does everyone here talk like they just fell out of a pirate story?
Lady Door
Trying hard not to laugh, Lu bit back a smile and turned to face Kariburn. Lu's Throalic was definitely more court based and nothing like what these people were speaking. She knew she would come across as a traveler, and more likely to be taken advantage of, but there was really nothing for it.

Well met, Kariburn. Yes, we would like to stable our mounts with you for the evening and perhaps more, if that can be arranged. May I inquire as to the cost? And does the cost include a room, if we were so inclined?
fistandantilus4.0
The price for the two of ya', beds, bath, a good warm meal and drink with it, and lodging for yer animals for the night, t'would be 11 silver pieces, Throalic weight. And be believin' me, ya won't find a better price, 'specially for the qaulity yer gettin'

Kyla I trust these rooms, they are .... private, as well as the baths? I'll not bed or bathe like a communal pig. I've heard you humans do such things.

Kyla would pick this moment to remember more of her vocabulary.
Lady Door
In an aside to Ky, Nice, Ky. Very nice.
Ahem... what my sister means to say, sir, is that we would request a private room, as befitting two women traveling unaccompanied. Would that be included in the fare, or would the privacy cost us additional coin?
Lu is making every effort to smile and be gracious, hoping to smooth over any offense her sister may have made.
fistandantilus4.0
Kariburn makes a rough attempt at a smile. I did assume ye'd be wantin' yer own, and so I gives ya the price fer yer own room. Spots on the commonr room floor be much cheaper, but we don't be doin' much o' that at the Docket 'lest there's a real need. To worries there miss.

Kariburn moves up to take the horses from the pair as if that's settled.
Lady Door
Thank you, Kariburn. We will take the room then.
Removing her saddlebags, Lu quickly unpacks Gwyn.
You be a good girl, Gwynoheim.
Thanking Kariburn and the boy again, Lu and Ky enter the "Docket". Coming from a sheltered existence to an actual tavern is a bit of a shock. Even if the "Docket" is an inn on the up an up, the men still give the girls a once over and occasionally the suggestive wink.
I'm starving, Ky. Let's get something to eat.
Ky seemed to be in no real hurry to do anything, except for maybe taking up one or two of the men on whatever indecent proposals they had in mind.
Ah, precious Lu, always thinking with her stomach.
Better then thinking with something else. C'mon Ky.

Hearing a stomach growl, Lu was about to make a comment to Ky about "eating her own words" when she realized that the stomach belonged to Quipp. The boy was so quiet she hadn't even realized he was with them still.
What about you, Quipp? You hungry? Lu knew full good and well that Quipp could probably find his own meal, but Lu nonetheless felt protective of the boy.
fistandantilus4.0
Quipp smiled Sure am m'lady. And thank you fer the askin'. Take my advice, and go with the fish. You look like types that ain't had a lto of sea food. Stuff's great, and they serve it here with this red stuff!

For a moment, Quipp looked every day of his meager years rather than the street smart young man that had led them to the Docket. Then he was off getting a bar maids attention, and slipping her a copper to get the pair a proper booth in the back. He'd ushered them over and slid over his own chair to the end of it before the maid had even manged to get the glasses cleared and the table wiped down.

Now I know you've got your busy ness to be about, and that you won't be needing my sevices for the bathing, so might as well give me a list of what you'll be needing or who you're needing to see so I can get about to arranging it for ya.

Ky laughed, muttering something about not being able to handle a sword, much less a woman. Her eyes wandered the crowd a bit, perhaps seeing if there was anyone else there that might be up to either challenge. Or perhaps checking for the exits and defensible positions. So times you just never knew with Kyla.

Kyla leaned in to talk quietly to Lu. So what do you think? Shall we start with the ork and the smith like father said, or go to the wizard? Or should we even trust this one? He seems awfully eager to please.
Lady Door
In the same low tone as her sister, Lu replies,
I think we should follow fathers' advice and go to the smith and ork first, but it wouldn't hurt to find out a little about them first. That could be where young Quipp comes in handy. We can use him to feel out the people in this town. We can keep it general at first, until we know if we can fully trust him. What do you think?
Turning to face Quipp, Lu smiles. Very well, Quipp. The fish it will be. Would you be kind enough to order for us? Enjoy your meal, and then we'll discuss what we will be needing from you. Deal?

Throughout the meal, Lu regards Quipp and the rest of the patrons of the bar out of the corner of her eye. I wonder what Ky would do if she knew I was afraid. We're new here. We know nothing of this kind of society. The only people we have ever known we knew our entire lives. I should have listed more to Aunt. Perhaps, I would have a better idea of what to say or do. Father used to say that fear was useful. It showed you where weakness lay within you. It helped you to find that weakness and turn it to strength. I thought that there was a certain wisdom in that... but, now that I'm facing the fear.. I find it much easier said then done.

fistandantilus4.0
The food arrives after none to long. Throughout th quiet wait, Kyla continues scanning the crowd. THe crowd spends some time scanning back as well. Apparently they dont' get a lot of identical elven twins in armor in this place.

Quipp however seems right at home ,and goes in to his fish with a vengence, ahving half of it finished before you're very far at ll in to yours. The boy finally slows down 3/4 of the way through and enjoys the last scraps.

The food is as good as advertised. The red stuff adds a sharp tang that clears the sinuses nicely, and the fresh fish tastes like nothing you'veever had before. It has a very peculiar smell although not in an unp[leasant was. Simply unfamiliar.

Kyla leans forward after finishing her meal. I say we send Quipp out then and hit our baths. I smell like that damn horse.*sniff* you aren't much better. After a nice hot bath, we check these people out, see what the kid can find anyway. Do we split up and take father's faster? No offense, but sometimes your "thinking things through" kinda slows me down.
Lady Door
Shaking her head at her twins' coarse tongue, Lu couldn't help but laugh and think ruefully that Aunt Orelinde' would have had her hide had she said something like that back at home.
Very well, Ky. Quipp, we're going to go upstairs and freshen up from our journey. I do have a job for you. Find the village smith, Bodar, announce our plans to visit, introduce us. Luthilien and Kylatien Calaelen come from Kaer Vendroll, daughters of Valandil Calaelen. Can you remember all of that? Good. Now, this next part is the truly important part. After you announce us, find an out of the way spot that affords you a good view of the smithy. Watch Bodar. After an hour, return to us... but be discreet. Tell me if Bodar left, if he sent any messages, and if he did I want to know to who. Can you do this, Quipp?
fistandantilus4.0
'Course I can miss. Anythin' else?
Lady Door
Carry out that task, and we will see about the others. Thank you, Quipp. You may go.
Okay, Ky... show me to this bath. I would love to get out of these clothes.Lu holds out her hand to Ky, smiling... stopping short when she realizes that an entire bar full of men are now looking at the two twins.
Ah...um.Blush.
fistandantilus4.0
The men don't stop looking until you're up the stairs. Realistically, they're probably still looking and hoping.

The bath is better than advertised. Actual water baths were a luxury that as rarely offered in the kaer. Even though your father's elementalist abilities gave him the oppurtunity to create them, it was one that was rarely used for lounging. "Waste " he called it. Water was the requirement for life in the kaer, and not to be wasted lightly. Usually it was one bucket poured into another with holes. Enough to keep celan and keep away disease, but certainly not enough for disease. Father called "communal baths" a "wich's brew" for disease. HE siad that humans didn't know the right way to do it, that the water had to be heated properly or kept moving by current.

KyDo you ever sit around in the bath and wonder about father's craziness? I mean why he used to be such an ork head about us taking them and actually having the time to enjoy them?

Kyla blew up some of the bubles from her hand. Who ever heard of such a thing? bubbles in the bath.... it was nice.

After the bath came the requisite lounging on the beds in warm towels, which was mostly for putting off the lenghty hair combing.
Ky:[COLOR=salmon]Lounging was very important you know. Father said that elven princesses used to do it all the time, so we'd best preactice at it. Maybe some day, we too could be "uselss lounge abouts". Wouldn't that be nice...

A small knock at the door was either going to be the serving maid with the scented oils Kyla had requested, or Quipp coming back with news. Kyla would probably wnat to bet on it.

KylaSilver piece says it's the maid.
Lady Door
Lu just rolled her eyes. She had learned long ago that her sister would bet on anything under the sun, and possibly over it. Lu had also learned that her sister was almost always right. Her ability to keep a small savings had greatly increased after that little life lesson.
Either way, you should cover yourself. Otherwise, we could start a scandal.As soon as the words were out of her mouth, Lu knew she had said the wrong thing.
A scandal? Oh really... ?Lu didn't think it possible, but Ky contorted her body into the most salacious position she could think of while technically still lounging.
Lu snorted and went to answer the door, towel wrapped around and tucked in around her breasts. Opening the door a crack, she looked into the hallway.
fistandantilus4.0
It was Quipp. Apparently the boy ahd a sharp eye because they both went wide.

Then they both quickly came up, dead set on Lu's.

Ummmm....

Never would have thought him to be at a loss for words...

Ummm... The smith! Bodar ... he uhh... He says he'll be waitin' for ya' .. uh.. whenever you're.. ready. He jsut stayed aroudn his shop and kept orkin'. Didn't go no where. Anything else I can ... uh.. do for ya?

A giggle came from inside the room. Ky was (hopefully) gettimg dressed.
Lady Door
In fact, I do have something for you...and no, don't look so hopeful. It has nothing to do with Ky. I need you to find out all you can about an ork Named Gars. He has a rather nasty reputation so I need you to be quiet and be careful. I need him watched without him knowing he's being watched. I want to know where he lives, where he goes, what he does, and most importantly, what equipment he carries. Can you do all of this?
From everything her father had told her about Gars, she was hesitant to send one as young as Quipp out to search him out. But, under the circumstances, she really had no choice. Besides, she had a gut feeling that Quipp could see himself through just about anything.
Do what I ask of you, and there's another silver for the day in it for you.
fistandantilus4.0
Ummm... not to be speaking aginst you miss, but doing all that, well, it'll atke a bit more than a day, and more than a silver. 15 at least. The way you talk, this 'Gars' is a dangerous ork, and dangerous orks, well, they cost more than a dangerous human or dwarf for one. Spying on some smit hthat sits in his forge, well that's easy. Following orks around, that's dangerous even if yer friends with 'em.
Lady Door
Very well, 15 silver. But, I want details. I'll pay you 7 silver now, the rest upon completion of the task. If the report is lacking, so will the rest of your pay. If that does not suit you, very well, we will part ways and we will find someone else and you can find work more suited to your tastes. What do you think?
fistandantilus4.0
I can do that. might take a day or two though. ya know, the two of you look around the city liek you're fresh off the farm, but ya got some smarts up there. Word o' advice, don't gawk so much at the buildings when ya' go out ta' deal with folks. They'll always over charge ya.

Quipp holds out his hand for the seven silver peices. He seems well aware that ther'e very little chance that you haveit hidden in your bath robe, but he's willing to wait.

I'll have ta check in with ya in the morning. An orks likely to be out drinkin most o' the night. 'Specially if he ain't a city ork. And he don't sound like one.
Lady Door
With a half smile, Lu holds up a finger, indicating "one moment" then shuts the door. Ky is fast asleep on one of the beds, lying on her stomach, naked as the day she was born.
Figures.
Lu soon returns to the door with the seven shining coins in hand. Opening it, she blocks Quipp's view of the room.
Thank you for the advice. Here's your silver. Now go. I'll expect to see you for breakfast.
As Quipp darts away, the maid rounds the corner holding a small wooden tray of scented oils. Lu suddenly feels the tension she's held in her muscles. I'm not cut out for this. When did I become the negotiator? Oh, right... when it became clear that Ky can't open her mouth without insulting someone. The meeting with the ork should go over real well. *sigh*
Lady Door
Several minutes later, Lu was dressed and ready to go. She eyed the tray of oils longingly, feeling the stiffness in her muscles begging for relief. No time. Not now, anyway. The sooner this is done, the sooner I can be done worrying about Amrod.
Ky was still stretched out on the bed, snoring softly. Several attempts to wake her had gone unheeded. Either she was really, REALLY asleep or she had greatly improved upon her fake sleeping technique. Either way, Lu needed to go. Just great. Now what do I do? Ergh. I'll leave a note.
Taking a piece of parchment from her bag, Lu wrote out out a short note:
Ky, you were fast asleep. The days' exertion must have finally caught up with you. I've gone on to question the Weaponsmith. If I'm not back soon, come looking for me. Love, Lu
Lu tucked the letter into the tray of oils, surely the first place Ky would look once she awoke. Dressed in her armor over her traveling wear, sword at her side and hair braided and hanging down her back, she knew she would stand out somewhat. Viewing her reflection in the mirror, Lu pulled her elfweave cloak around her. At least, it hid the armor, if not the sword. It would have to do.
Lu opened the door and slipped out, locking it behind her. Walking down into the bustling common room below, Lu stopped for directions to the Weaponsmith's shop before stepping out onto the street.
fistandantilus4.0
It doesn't take long to find the shop of Bodar the Smith, once you start asking in the proper places. His shop is away from mosto f the hustle and bstle of the city, deep in the Tradesman's district. It's a small two story affair, probably an apartment on top. The shop it's self has a front door and a side yard where the forge is. The shop door's lower half is closed, the top open. The sign simply reads "Bodars' Arms" in dwarven. The open air forge to the side is alive with activity. A stout dwarf is hard at work in the forge, apparently putting the finishing touches on a fine looking battle axe. There are a trio of apprentices moving about the shopping putting away, or caring for tools, and keeping everything in roper order.

Bodar him self is an average sized dwarf. His head is shaved off the top, and he wears no beard. His chest is bare, except for a heavy leather apron. He's likely in his middle years. From the look of his shop and forge, he's a very orderly dwarf.
Lady Door
Seeing the neatness and order of the shop, Lu congratulates herself silently for sending word of her arrival beforehand. Someone of such an efficent mind probably appreciates the notice.
Approaching the forge, Lu makes her way to what she assumes is the office. Speaking to the earnest young (it's so hard to tell age with dwarves)clerk, Lu requests to speak with Bodar. Lu then turns and sits upon a chair, waiting.
fistandantilus4.0
The dwarf running the shops opens the door and sows Lu into a side office between the shop and the forge it's self. Apparently this is where the smith lieks to handle his business.

Within five minutes Bodar himself comes in to the office. He takes a good thirty seconds to look Lu ver, apparently taking his measure of her. He certainly has a very exacting eye.

You must be one of the Calaelen ladies. I was told to expect you. You would be here about the shield then. I've got a few minutes. I'd be happy to tell you what I saw about the situation and the ork carrying it. Such a waste if you ask me. Shield's going to use, doing it's job. Such a thing shouldn't sit on a mantle. But it's always been my belief that everything has it's place, and that shield doesn't belong with that skorcher. So what can I tell you?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012