Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Witch Hunt: OOC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
2bit
This is the master OOC thread for the game "Witch Hunt". If you're interested in joining the game in progress, please post in the thread "Recruiting: Witch Hunt". Enrollment is currently: CLOSED

In this game, the player characters are mundanes tasked with fighting Awakened opposition as militant members (known as Alphas) of the anti-awakened policlub Sons of Apollo. The year is 2070, and ever since the infamous terrorist mage cult "Winternight" destroyed the world's information infrastructure five years ago, a growing fear of magic and the awakened has taken root in first world countries across the globe. Magicians in the UCAS must register their talent with the government, and Congress has tightened the reins on what they legally can and cannot do. As if life wasn't hard enough for those with the Talent, they might also be unlucky enough to come across one of these guys in a dark alley:

The Alphas
Orion (Cakeman) - human, animal handler
High Rise (yoippari) - ork, hacker/rigger
Null (Glyph) - human, street samurai
Malleus (imperialus) - elf, face

On hold:
Nobody!
2bit
The New Stuff that Came to Pass

In this setting, Winternight was a terrorist mage cult and received nearly all the blame for the attack in 2065. In the wake of the second Crash, anti-Awakened sentiment experiences a strong resurgence. In 2066, the Magician Registration Act is passed, requiring awakened citizens of the UCAS to register their status with the government. Public spellcasting of any kind is prohibited. Licensed magic use is limited to the areas of Security, Health Services, and Entertainment, and even these endure heavy overwatch. Although magical education programs continue, they are effectively neutered.

Vaults of magical knowledge are lost during the Crash, and by the time the new Matrix comes online, very little of it returns to the public domain. What is left remains mostly in corporate, shadow, government, and foreign hands. Although information is still attainable, most of it is illegal to use, as are the methods ultimately used to acquire it.

With the new matrix come technomancers, which are still rumors at this point in time. It is well known in the shadows that people who can "hack with their freaky radio brains" exist, but just who and what they are remains a mystery. People in the know are afraid that magicians have learned techniques that let them perform sorcery and conjuring in virtual space. Others believe these people are the next evolutionary step. Because of the ever present awakened stigma, no one's talking.
2bit
Magic Outside the UCAS

Megacorporations
Megacorps held onto most of their respective caches of magic knowledge. For the sake of politics and PR, both internal and external, corps have cut way back on their visibility in the magical goods market, with some leaving it altogether. There is still good money to be made in the security sector of this market. All of the Big Ten, with the exception of Evo and Wuxing, have passed laws similar to that of the UCAS, mostly to appease the public and governments of their host countries. Internally, however, not much has changed.
Awakened employees of megacorps have been affected less than others. Their abilities are already on file with their employer. Their personal advancement has always taken a backseat to the needs of the company. They are watched a little more closely, but in most companies, "due diligence" in this matter doesn't mean much.

The NAN
The Native American Nations suffered a political setback with their refusal to adopt any new law to restrict the use of magic. They have gained a reputation as the "Free Magic" nations because of this, and relations between the individual NAN members have never been better. There is a great shamanic fellowship happening there now, and some say they're on the verge of a native american renaissance. While non-shamanic practitioners are allowed to do their own thing, they receive their share of suspicion, and there is a growing desire to make shamanism the Official Tradition of the Native American Nations (whatever that means!).
2bit
The Sons of Apollo

The Sons of Apollo is an anti-awakened policlub based in FDC, with major presence in Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, New Orleans, Detroit, and St. Louis. It has gained significant influence in recent years, feeding into the paranoia that has gripped the post-crash world. The policlub preaches materialism and trust in physical things. Its members cherish wealth, physical and mental health, skilled workmanship, but are truly cemented together by the anti-awakened movement.
QUOTE (Richard Eaves)
"Magic is an abomination against Nature.  It corrupts the minds and bodies of those who practice it.  No one can practice magic without being affected by its corrupting power.  Just look at the mad zealots of Winternight.  It warps natural laws, damaging the fabric of the universe.  You need only look to the assassination of late President Dunkhelzahn for proof of that.

"The material world is besieged by extraplanar forces seeking to corrupt and destroy it. . . and Magic is their gateway.  Just see what happened in Chicago.  Spirits from the outer planes are seeking out those touched by magic sensitivity, promising them power in return for loyalty.  Mark my words . . . they have their own agenda."

The Appolonian references come from the fact that Apollo was god of, among other things, science and medicine; by extension, technology. They use the symbol of the sun to represent enlightenment, as well as shedding light on things hidden in darkness (ie., secrets, corruption, bad guys). They also use the staff of Aesclepius in their community outreach programs. The policlub boasts a diverse membership, despite the male-centric language. They come from all economic and social walks of life, both genders, and all metatypes. It helps immensely that they have the perfect face: Richard Eaves, an extremely charismatic dwarf with regal, chiseled features who is at once a noble king commanding respect and the mean old grandfather you can't help but love. Richard earned his financial independence as an architect, then a real estate investor, and finally as CEO of an architectural firm before selling it, taking the helm of his favorite charity, and turning it into the major policlub it is today.

Though it denies an identity as a "church", ("Were the Freemasons a church?", asks Eaves,) the Sons have many trappings of a religion: a code for living, rallies led by one of their demagogues, and more than a few zealous followers. Their path to enlightenment is based in better living through technology, wealth, and materialism.
QUOTE (Richard Eaves)
"I find that I prize few things in a person more than great skill...  the professional who hones his craft to a monomolecular point.  When they create, you know it is perfection, and to witness their labor is to see the height of metahuman achievement.

Of course, where there's smoke, there's fire, and all the anti-awakened rhetoric isn't for nothing. The Sons enlist the services of members skilled in shadow ops. These mercenaries, known as Alphas, are mundanes skilled in dealing with awakened opposition. Their work is completely freelance. Alphas may be hired by the policlub to do work that furthers its goals; but just as often, the policlub is hired by other organizations to do their dirty work in exchange for favors and influence. The policlub doesn't entertain rumors and accusations that it employs these people in hate crimes, assassination, and blackmail. Crimes perpetrated against the awakened, it claims, are just a reflection of the will of the people, and their frustration that the government isn't doing enough to solve the problem.

The ops contact in Seattle is a man named Alfred Ancient. Alphas start the game with this contact for free; treat him as a Mr. Johnson, connection 4, loyalty 2. Alfred is a human who, as the name implies, is very, very old. He always travels with a pair of bodyguard trolls, and is one of the Seattle chapter's top men.

The Seattle chapter of the Sons of Apollo has a compound in Seattle proper, but has offices in Bellevue, Tacoma, and Ft. Lewis as well, and safehouses in every district. The other offices serve mainly as little outposts for community outreach.
2bit
Posting Instructions

"Speech" [cyan]
<Coms (spoken)> [yellow]
<Coms (subvocal)> [violet]
<Text Message> [black]
Thoughts [darkkhaki]
Memories [lightgrey]

No sigs in the IC thread, please!

Post a Place, Time [orange] only if your scene is different from the one in the post above yours.

Due to story considerations, none of your characters will begin the game with close ties to one another. All of you, however, know each other, or at the least, know of each other. You may have worked together as Alphas before, seen each other at rallies, have the same friends, etc. None of you are what you would call friends.

Ok - please check in, introduce yourselves, and figure out relationships. Once we have a final body count, make sure we haven't lost any of the original four, we can begin the IC.
Trigger
I am going to be away from my computer for awhile (due to technical difficulties) and I won't be able to post for awhile. I will try and update as often as I can, but I can make no guarantees on it. Sorry for the trouble. Thanks.
Cakeman
Found the thread! I'll introduce my character by posting his background. It's subject to change as we move along if we want to have our characters know each other.

[ Spoiler ]
imperialus
Waiting for approval from 2Bit on my background but here is a draft at least.

[ Spoiler ]
yoippari
My current backgroud was written as a concept but 2bit wanted a bit more so I tagged on some extra information. Nothing as specific or creative as your's though. I'll post my background tomorrow after I've added flavor.
2bit
Just so you know, a lengthy description like that is great, but by no means required smile.gif. Hopefully Glyph will check in with Null soon.
2bit
I just wanted to add, kind of in opposition to what I just said, that your characters' backgrounds are really important to this game and I appreciate everyone fleshing them out so thoroughly. I don't need them to be extremely long (Glyph did the "50 questions" thing) but the more details, the better.
imperialus
Oh, out of curiosity, do you use the house rule that gives you natural Chax2 in free contact points? I only ask because I know lots of GM's that do.
2bit
Something like that, yes, in the recruitment thread I mentioned that characters get Alfred Ancient as a free Mr. J contact, and their CHA in additional free contact BPs.
Glyph
Here's Null - kind of the short version, since our characters aren't supposed to know each other that well.

[ Spoiler ]
imperialus
QUOTE (2bit)
Something like that, yes, in the recruitment thread I mentioned that characters get Alfred Ancient as a free Mr. J contact, and their CHA in additional free contact BPs.

ahh ok cool.

I added a Street Doc at 2/2 and a Corp Lawer at 1/2. The lawer mostly deals with small companies that can't afford to have their own lawer on retainer so he's not likely to know much about corps with a rating of A or better, hence the connection rating 2.
2bit
I don't think anyone took First Aid, so that street doc will come in handy.
imperialus
Ooo... In light of that I dropped my pistols to 2, got myself First aid 1 and bought a rating 6 medkit leaving me with 410 nuyen.gif left. Hey at least I'm not defaulting.
Trigger
Next time I have a chance to get on a computer I will post up information on Tyler, as I do not hae my information on him with me at the moment. But I am still interested in this game, so please don't couint me out yet.
2bit
What's your time frame look like? Better to start without you and introduce you along the way?
yoippari
I'm still working on background, mostly making it backgroundy instead of a list of personality traits.

Are there any other blatent skill holes? armory? cybertechnology? navigation? heavy weapons? Well, I guess navigation is the only one of those needed.
2bit
You'll be the one the needs Heavy Weapons, Mr. Rigger. I don't consider any of those others to be critical skills.

Armorer - this is necessary for someone to have (unless you don't mind buying new gear often), but that someone could be a contact.

Cybertech - rarely needed, and any good Medcial contact will be able to provide it.

Navigation - Not often needed, can be defaulted to Intuition, and Mapsofts add dice to this test (30 nuyen.gif for 6 dice!)

Ok: Null's done; I think Malleus is done now but I'd like you to give me your final draft; Orion is getting his skills and gear shifted around; Tariq is filling out his background and getting skill & gear tweaks. Please have these done by Sunday. I'll post the IC thread as soon as I have everyone's background and char. sheets. If there are minor gear tweaks to still be made, that's ok, we can start anyhow.

I'll introduce Trigger's character, Tyler, along the way when he's able to post regularly again.
2bit
yoippari's character will be known as High Rise.
2bit
Work out any common background you folks have by this weekend. The IC thread will go up Monday.
imperialus
As far as common background goes one of Malleus' contacts is a bartender named Tinman at a bar called the Yellow Brick Road. The bar is owned either by the Poli-club or one of its supporters and Malleus tends to hang out there quite a bit.

Malleus' other contacts are;
Skeeze: a Street Fence/petty dealer (drugs, guns ect.), used to fence Malleus' stuff when he was a kid.
Lieutenant Ryans: A Vice Detective, helped Malleus get off the street.
Mars: an ork ganger and friend from Malleus' streetkid days.
Stitch: a Streetdoc, fixed Malleus up after the incident with his sister.
Mr. Campbell a minor corprate lawer, Malleus only recently met him at the Yellow Brick Road.
Kassandra: Topless waitress at a different bar in downtown Seattle, Malleus' on/off girlfriend.
Cakeman
Well I caved in and got First Aid 1 too, so maybe we wont bleed to death while taking a cab back to the street doc smile.gif Seemed like the sensible thing to do, now with our patron greek god and all.

Common background:
Orion is still quite young and will follow the lead of someone taking charge in a situation. He likes to party, and spends a night or two per week downtown in some semi-nice club. He tries to be of help to the policlub by helping out at public meetings, talk to interested people etc so if someone else does that too, maybe a passing knowledge because of that?

Orions contacts include his childhood friend Genbu who now has a foot firmly placed with the yakuza, a policlub guardsman (James) who handles critters for the policlub and a (yet) nameless bouncer who Orion can pay to be able to skip the line at the club.
yoippari
Err, why would a rigger need HW skill? I have gunnery.

Ok, my background.
[ Spoiler ]

Common background:
Most of his time is split between the matrix and tinkering. His parents who run the backup server for the cascade orks are professionally trained deckers and have some of their own hacker/ork/ares security contacts.

He is also in good standing with a local junk yard who supplies him with parts, sometimes in return for fixing the odd drone or vehicle.

Within the Sons he gathers information. Jobs that he wasn't on directly he may have gathered the intel leading up to it.
imperialus
@Cakeman:

It's entiarly possible that Malleus and Orion might know each other from either the Yellow Brick Road or the club that Kasandra works at. Malleus is a bit of an alchoholic so he spends a lot of time in various clubs.
Glyph
Null doesn't have the first aid skill, but he does have a rating: 6 medkit.

He is unlikely to be a regular patron of The Yellow Brick Road unless he is meeting someone there- if you have seen him there at all, it will probably be sitting in a corner, looking uncomfortable and nursing a club soda.

However, he is very likely to have met both Malleus (the face) and Orion (likes to help out) at the public meetings or rallies, which he enjoys attending.

His contacts are:
Loogie: overweight troll blogger who tracks anti-awakened efforts and their detractors.
Mack Frosser: Fixer in CAS-style white suits, runs a junk shop, more fence than anything.

High Rise might be someone who knows Loogie (not as a contact, but just as someone sympathetic to the cause who is online a lot), and through him know a bit about Null. Null may also might have been briefed by him before a mission or two.
2bit
Err, why would a rigger need HW skill? I have gunnery.
Right you are >_<
Cakeman
@Imperialus
More likely the club where Kassandra works, I got the impression it was more of a nightclub. Orion doesn't hang around pubs (yet), but let's say we know each other from some clubs downtown.

The Sons of Apollo must have some logo, Orion can wear a pin on his clothes wherever he goes as an identifier to other members and maybe someone gets curious and asks. They must definately have them at the rallies...

@Glyph
Null and Orion have met at rallies where they joined forces to hand out flyers and talk to people (or providing security..)

@2bit
The Alphas, as an organisation within the Sons, do they have any sort of meetings etc? Or is Alfred the spider in the web and all the Alphas are unaware of eachother until they've met on a run?

Let's see how this works with timezones and all. I'll try to check in on the IC thread in the morning before school and then in the evening, but if you all find that I... what's a good english expression? am a stopper? Hold you all back? Gah! You know what I mean, in that event just say so and I'll quietly drop out. Or get spectacularly shot smile.gif
yoippari
also @2bit
Are we THE alphas for the Sons in seattle or are we a few of many? What is public opinion? Lonestar opinion? Are we as legit as "sanctioned" shadowrunners working for a corp or more like gangers with a mission?
2bit
QUOTE (Alfred Ancient)
Can we count on you to do what is necessary?

You are a handful out of many. You estimate maybe two dozen of you in Seattle, but you don't know anyone who knows them all. The public doesn't know about you. Even most policlub members don't know about you. Some have heard rumors. People like Richard Eaves will deny your existance until they're blue in the face. Lone Star, at least in Seattle, has been discouraged from following up investigations into rumors of covert ops linked to the Sons of Apollo. Your average beat cop will never have heard of Alphas. A lot of shadowrunners will have heard of them, but unless they butted heads with alphas personally, they would consider you dangerous mundane zealots.

Because you don't officially exist, there aren't really any alphas meetings. They may meet informaly, or Alfred may call a meeting of several at once, but for the sake of deniability and keeping a low profile, the alphas are decentralized.
Cakeman
they would consider you dangerous mundane zealots

Dangerous. Well, that's something atleast. It could have been worse smile.gif
2bit
IC has been posted.
2bit
The Yellow Brick Road

The Yellow Brick Road is a bar/lounge on the north side of Seattle (Downtown) District. It's a standalone one-story building on a street corner. The main entrance is on the corner. Parking is on the street. There is a tube station about two blocks away. A line of yellow-gold neon runs down each side of the building. The sidewalk in front of the main entrance looks like bricks of gold, and the walls on either side of the main entrance are luminous bars of gold. Above the entrance is a holo display of a spinning "YBR" logo. AROs displaying hours of operation, drink specials, and upcoming musical gigs are available near the door.
The interior decor is done up in a gold brick style, and has no relevence to the Wizard of Oz. It's all about the flash of gold, and lines that suggest speed. The patrons it attracts are typically single, middle class professionals.
You have done meets with Alfred at the YBR before. You know that the bar is owned by Sons of Apollo members and its employees are either members or people sympathetic to the cause.
imperialus
Starting Cash roll (high lifestyle):
4d6=14
14x500= nuyen.gif 7000

Malleus leaves his Hammerli in the car but makes sure his Streetline is secured in his arm slide holster (this is assuming that he has brought the streetline to the YBR before without incident, if it'll land him in trouble he'll leave it behind too).
2bit
Judging from past experiences, that falls within the frame of "business casual".
imperialus
Perception test: (on crowd)
1d6=3, 1d6=4, 1d6=6, 1d6=6, 1d6=5, 1d6=2 (3 hits to notice anything unusal)

20 nuyen.gif spent on 2 drinks total remaining 6980 nuyen.gif

Edit: Only 500 nuyen.gif will be available on Malleus' Sony at any given time. The rest is in a different account that can only be accessed through his Transys. Whenever Malleus has the chance he'll transfer money over to the Sony. The Transys also has his rating 6 SIN attached to it identifying him as an accountant working for a average sized personal accounting firm (Something like H&R block). It's also this SIN that has his apartment and car registered. The Sony has a rating 3 SIN attached that claims he is a data entry clerk for a small IT company.
2bit
Thanks for keeping track of your cash, imperialus.

@imperialus:
[ Spoiler ]
Cakeman
Starting cash for Orion is 1500 nuyen.gif
roll

He's wearing a longcoat over some regular clothes to the meeting - not a suit, but an ok shirt for his lifestyle. No gun as he feels safe and among friends, but he has his flash-pak in a pocket.

Btw: I assume I've walked past Greta into the back room as per imperialus post. I have no objection to people using orion a little or putting words in his mouth, it often makes for a better floww in the story if I don't have to micromanage him all the time smile.gif This last paragraph was the edit.
yoippari
Starting cash for Tariq is 1700

Tariq is wearing his day-to-day style clothes (business casual, same as everyone else in his neighborhood). No weapons on him but Alfred and the dalmatian are in the van along with some of his other gear.
2bit
So you did go with the van? I need your final sheet, btw yoippari.
imperialus
For those of us in the meet room already, is Alfred there already or do we have time for small talk and introductions?
yoippari
I sent you a link to it a few days ago, that should stay current with whatever changes I make. I'll resend it if you don't have it anymore.

I went with the van.
Glyph
Null will be packing light for this meeting - just his armored vest and the hammerli in the hidden arm slide, loaded with regular ammo, with two spare clips (also regular ammo) on his person.
2bit
got the link, yoippari. weird, earlier when i checked it, the spreadsheet was there but the values were missing. it's ok now.

Alfred will be in the room when you enter. I'll post the next scene in the meeting room later today.
yoippari
Ya, I used it as a base for a blank sheet and it autosaved. When I went back to it I was able to revert to a previous version (aka "mass oops").
2bit
The Sons of Apollo pay their Alphas bounties for unregistered awakened metahumans. The bounty is based on these factors (subject to change, will edit as we go) which must be proven, either by the Alphas (video, records, etc.) or by the policlub at one of their facilities. Evidence provided by the Alphas is subject to review.

1- Condition - Dead: 2500 nuyen.gif , alive 8000 nuyen.gif
Tests can be run on the recently deceased to determine if they're magically active or not.

2- Demonstrated Powers - Adept: 500 Astral Seer: 500 Sorcerer: 750 Conjurer/Possesser: 1000
This is ranked according to threat level, as seen by the policlub. Drugs can be administered to a live patient that force the subject into astral perception, if they are capable of it. While in this state, certain flora that change color in the presence of astral entities reveal the subject's dual nature.

3 - Advancement - Initiate: 5000 Travelled to a Metaplane: 3000
Those who delve deeper into the madness of Magic are deemed more unstable and dangerous, especially those who have visited the homes of extraplanar entities. This information is usually gleaned through interrogation and seizure of subject's property, including verifiable personal records.

4 - Greater Threats - Blood Mage: 10,000/60,000 Toxic Shaman: 15,000/100,000 Insect Shaman: 20,000/200,000
The listed bounties are Dead/Alive and replace the normal bounty for awakened.
Cakeman
Running tests on them? Seems mighty dangerous to me, the corruption might spread... the only good mage is a dead mage smile.gif
imperialus
[Malleus' World View]No, provided they are registered and licenced by the goverenment their threat can be minimized. Magic is a fact of life and mages can't help being born with their... abilities. Some may even prove useful in the service of humanity. Control, not extermination must be key to our dealings with the awakened. Of course, should they attempt to risist registration then they are a threat and should be dealt with in the same way as you would deal with a devil rat or other awakened threat.[/Maleus' world view]

Malleus is very much a realist. He has a difficult time hating all mages, after all his sister was one and he knows enough about magic to realize that now that it's out of the bag no one can simply shove it back in. His goal is primarally to ensure that mages abilities are used for the good of mankind as a whole, not the whims of the practitioners or worse yet their totoms. If mages suffer persecution or even if a few "innocent" ones get caught in the crossfire, too bad. That's the price for a better world.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012