Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 Fantasy?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
ludomastro
I have been thinking about using the SR4 rules for developing a home brew fantasy game (trying to avoid the d20 cancer). I found a few references but nothing concrete. Maybe my Serach-Fu is off or maybe I'm not using the right keywords.

Anyway, if you are aware of a fan developed set of rules, please let me know. Equally helpful would be telling me that none exist.

I appreciate your patience.
wargear
its all there in the books...just limit the armour selection, and don't let them have guns...
ludomastro
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm working on that now and I will share once I have it ready.
Mistwalker
Another option to consider, is to increase the skill cap a bit. I think you may have to do this, to allow PCs to survive big fights, as this will increase their ability to defend/parry melee attacks.

Also, you might want to allow "magic items" like swords to just add a bonus to skill dice pool, or bonus successes. Same for armor.

Had more ideas, but a nasty headache has chased most of the away.
Shakes his head
craigpierce
I know I'm about to speak heresy by trying to turn you away from the SR system, but if you're looking for a good d6 fantasy system that isn't D&Dish, think about Cadwallon - I demoed it at GenCon and I have read almost all of the player's handbook...it's looking like a really good system - and Rackham already has a great world set up from their miniature games. And they make the best miniatures I've seen...

Here's the link: English Rackham Cadwallon Site
ludomastro
QUOTE (craigpierce @ Mar 19 2007, 08:57 PM)
I know I'm about to speak heresy ...

Burn him! Burn the heretic!

biggrin.gif

I took a look at the link - it looks interesting; however, it's late. I will have to take a closer look tomorrow.
craigpierce
If you do take a closer look at their site, there's actually not a ton of info there - the forums have the most info...and here are some Wiki links to check out:

Cadwallon - The Game
Aarklash - The World
Rag Na'Rok - The War (This link, though, is to the real-world myth of the Ragnarok)
Brahm
There are a few others out there too. For example D6 Fantasy and Burning Wheel. Both these are general use d6 pool games that are keyed towards medieval/renissance fantasy. The former is basically the same system Westend Games used for their Star Wars games back in the 90's. The later actually originated as an extremely eclectic and modified homebrew of Shadowrun2 done to fantasy and you can still really see it in things like the sorcery magic. It is close enough to SR that I've seen its Circles and Resources subsystems fairly painless ported for successful use in an SR4 game. Ironically they switched to a fixed TN system before Fanpro did.
ludomastro
Brahm, thank you. I am not completely sold on it but I think that the Burning Wheel is very close to what I want.
Brahm
QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 23 2007, 09:22 PM)
Brahm, thank you.  I am not completely sold on it but I think that the Burning Wheel is very close to what I want.

Just make sure you pay attention to and heed the suggestion near the beginning of the book. Don't try to sit down and read the book cover-to-cover to learn all the game's finer details right off the start. The system is quite crunchy as a whole so attempting to do so is likely to break your brain, or at least slow you down. It is based on SR afterall. wink.gif Just go through the first couple of chapters and when it says "now go make a character and start playing" that's actually a pretty good time to do it. Well except you really should read page 268 and page 269 in the Appendix on the roles of the GM and the roles of the players. Those two sections really should have been put in the first chapter of the book.

The game actually plays really well just playing parts of it. It purposely has rules for multiple level of detail options for given sections. There are people that have played whole campaigns without bothering to use the complex version of melee combat, Fight! (which is actually one level more detailed than D&D or SR, each action takes a "heartbeat" or about 1 second, so you select sword swings, fients, etc. explicitly)

Same for magic, if you use it at all (the game is actually quite playable and interesting without any sort of magic, even without enchanted magic items). There are a lot of rules there for custom building spells and the option for detailed effects of failing a spell. But things go smoother if you start out playing just using simple Tax (their version of drain) and their stock spells.

P.S. Highly recommend their forums if you get stuck or are running into problems.
odinson
So i guess you never did find anything for a Shadowrun fantasy game, eh. Thats too bad, I would have found it useful. I was thinking about turning my Shadowrun game into the game Feng Shui. Cool setting, I just never cared for the system. Since it involves time travel, I would have been interested in seeing what you had come up with.
ludomastro
The effort is not dead; however, my computer is. I steal what little time I can until my new computer is built. More later this month.
ludomastro
My computer has been replaced. I'll be putting some information here soon.

Stay tuned.
ludomastro
Ok,

I have given this some thought and here is the base that I have started from:

1. The obvious: take away the technology. Therefore, no technomancers (not like they are going to be missed), hackers, or riggers. No cyber, bio, or guns (well, maybe guns - I'll get back to you on that).

2. The attributes will all stay the same with the exception of Essence, which I am re-naming "Spirit". The reason is more Fluff than Crunch so bear with me on this one.

3. I am debating Skills as follows: Soft capped at Attribute + 2: Hard capped at 8(9).

4. Drain is calculated with "Force" not F/2.

5. Don't have rules for their creation yet; however, mundanes will be able to use "magical" items. The items will "run on" the spirit energy of the person using them. Therefore, Spirit (Essence) will work the same as it does now. For the time being, I am thinking that boots of haste/speed/whatever you wish to call them would come in three levels. Base them off Wired Reflexes I, II, and III at 2,3, and 5 Spirit. Items must be bonded as Foci to be used; however they can be removed and the bond broken (karma is still spent). The karma requirement is 2 x Spirit used. e.g. Boots of Haste III = 2 x 5 = 10 karma.

6. Corollary to 5., reducing Spirit also reduces Magic as the two are linked.

7. Corollary to 5., Essence Drain is now Spirit Drain, etc.

More on armor et al later.

fistandantilus4.0
I still say it's a lot easier to use the Earthdawn system. biggrin.gif

#3 - Personally, I hate caps. But maybe that's just me.

#4 If you want magic to be more rare or used less, go with this. I did it in 3rd edition SR as the players were rarely taking drain, and it was pretty neat. I liked it a lot. SO did the players. Added that element of danger back to magic. I haven't found it necessary in SR4 personally.

#5 Neat idea. Have to see it implemented first I suppose, but I like the basic premise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012