Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Play-by-email SR3 game starting
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > GM/Players Registry
Dioptre
After several relatively successful months of the KnightFalling game, I'm starting
a new play-by-email game. Third edition rules, combat intensive rather than stealth
or puzzle-solving.

Character guidelines:
3rd edition rules
Equipment of any availability allowed for starting characters
Characters must have a SIN, and a background suitable for work at DocWagon
Characters must have some medical skill - although it need not be a focus of the character
Armour is recommended, comm gear & rappeling gear is essential.
Team vehicles will be provided.
cREbralFIX
I'm interested in playing, but I've never played a game by email.

Are the posts eventually going to end up in a thread? I've been enjoying "Up from the Bottom".
cREbralFIX
What is your definition of normal in this game? I have noticed that "normal" tends to center around 6 (or higher). In my games, I take to heart the notion that "3" is average. It means you can make a living at it. Furthermore, the character can achieve decent results with three dice.

The "problem" with SR is that it tends to migrate the number upward due to the nature of the dice and game mechanics. I have no problem with it...just wondering for character creation. It will change which skills I will take and whether or not the character branches out a bit.
Dioptre
At the moment, emails are copied to everyone in the group (typically 6 people plus the GM). There's no central repository of postings. This has advantages and disadvantages, but it seems to work ok.

"Normal" is target number 4. This makes a skill of "3" useful, but by no means a guarantee of success. In a combat-oriented game, I'd recommend taking combat skills at 5s or 6s.

cREbralFIX
One character is made; working on a second one for backup.

My character took B/R Rifle because I want to make a custom rifle. Is it possible to have it at the start? Cost is only 13,000 nuyen.
Dioptre
Go ahead and send me the first character if you like.
The rules for custom weapons are generally accepted to be broken.
I'll need to see the stats on the weapon before I approve it for use in the game.
cREbralFIX
It's basically just a standard sniper rifle with 20 round magazine, shorter barrel, made from ceramic, +2 power, and recoil comp. The damage is a bit much (except for armored trolls), but I figured on killing whatever I hit...which is what a rifle is for (delivering a massive blow, not like those piddly M16s wink.gif.

It really doesn't matter if they're broken or not. A good gunsmith can work up just about anything you want. Caliber conversions (+2 power), custom magazines (real life: modifying FN-FAL 20 round mags to work in SAIGA AK chambered in 308/7.62x51), shorter barrel (obvious), bullbarrel (obvious), recoil comp is really a muzzle brake and/or pad (or spring mechanism in the stock). The price is actually quite high given the hourly rate in the book; usually stuff like that runs $2-4k US (SR seems to follow today's rates, but with nuyen). I have no problem with high prices though; it's a +1 sword equivalent.

I also have no problem downgrading it to a 9S weapon based off a "sporting" rifle. Heck...I could have him build it off a Garand, M14, or FAL. A modified FAL wouldn't be much of a stretch (http://dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SA58B21CM ...a great 800 meter rifle). These are "rifles", not "assault" rifles. Assault rifles fire light to medium cartridges and are typically intended to be used at a maximum of 300 yards (effective). The distinction is in the cartridge, not the form (contrary to what the politicians would have you believe).

One thing they missed: accuracy improvements. Bedding the barrels, barrel fluting, free floaters, trigger tuning, action smoothing and so forth. At close ranges, that stuff really doesn't matter. But when you're slinging a projectile 500, 800, 1000, or more meters...it makes a huge difference. For example, standard AK-47 is calibrated for 6 MOA. This yields a group 6" in diameter at 100 meters. Multiply 6" by the first digit of the range to get the diameter (ie: 12" at 200, 18" at 300). It is generally accepted that 20" is "man sized". Therefore, at 500 yards, we're talking a 30" diameter -- more than enough to miss simply due to the gun's mechanics causing the deviation (doesn't account for shooter error, which increases it). Compare the 1 MOA rifle's group with that of the AK.

I'll PM you the PC in a bit.

--cREbralFIX
cREbralFIX
Oh, the whole point of the rifle is to have semi-automatic capability from 1 meter to 1,000 meters. Given the interesting technology currently available and that described in SR 3 and Cannon Companion, it's not a stretch to have thermo, low light, magnification red dots (see Aimpoint and the ACOG). The ACOG already gives you red dot capability (very near smartlink speed and accuracy) with magnification and low light goggle compatibility.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012