Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A survey
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
GreyPawn
Despite being project leader of what could be considered "the competition", I feel I should chime in here.

First off, don't take the Dumpshockers too seriously. The concept of a Shadowrun MMO immediately draws to surface the most jaded naysayers and rabid fanbois near simultaneously. Introducing the SRO project a few years ago lead to a very large thread with some very shearing criticism and doubts.

I don't have to tell you that a team aspiring to such heights as MMO production can be devastated by the default consensus of "Ain't gonna happen." While Dumpshock is an invaluable resource for nearly anything Shadowrun and is home to the multitude of denizens that still call the Sixth World home, it can be a harsh place and you should not steer the ship of your project by this fickle light. These folks will eventually become the great power that drives the formative engine of early SR MMO community, but know that many have come before you and I.

That said, on to a few comments that I hope you won't begrudge me for:

Death is a hot issue with the dev team. We all agree that death is permanent. As for implimentation, therein lies the rub.

This would happen to be the first major issue we dealt with, but we came to quite the opposite conclusion. Here are a few facts that will help you along, if you are still on the topic in your team discussion.

Permanent Death does not exist in any MMO to date.
It does exist in two MUDs, Armageddon and Batmud Hardcore, although these are shining representations why it happens to be uncommon.

Permanent Death exists in very, very few video games to date.
Notable exceptions include Diablo's "Hardcore Mode", Wizardry 8, and NetHack. Nearly all non-arcade single player games since the early 90's have a form of Save/Load mechanism.

Shadowrun P&P has mechanics to limit access to Permanent Death.
The Hand of God is the prime example of this. DocWagon Platinum, Anabolic Arrestors, etc.

There are two basic exchanges that occur between Developer and Player. Permanent Death truncates or negates previous exchanges.
The basic exchange is that the Player gives the Developer Money for World and Time for Achievement. This can be expressed mathematically. By introducing Permanent Death, one effectively undoes a sequence of Time for Achievement by forcing a start-over. The player emotion evoked is that of loss of invested time.

The mechanic of Permanent Death is handled dynamically by a GM in SR P&P.
The ultimate arbiter of actual permanent death (when it does occur) in Shadowrun Pen & Paper is the Game Master. Not only does she administrate the actual character destruction, but usually artificially boosts the fictional drama involved surrounding the death to offer closure and consolation to the player who's loss is iminent. If the player wishes to continue playing, it is the GM that moderates the scaling of a newly created character and injects them dynamically into the storyline arc.

Hopefully these points will help your project when considering permanent death in the Awakened MMO.

These questions raise a good point: our artists, while talented, heve never played Shadowrun.

Every single one of our twenty-some-odd developers, excluding one person in Production, has played Shadowrun. I would strongly recommend that you require your teammates to play at minimum the Genesis or SNES versions and read the corebooks in their entirety. Translating a world of this sweeping vastness with overlapping fictional elements and game mechanics over to a digital medium is difficult enough. "Watering down" is sadly an inevitable result of the production process, so having folks who've experienced the joy of the run and live and breathe Shadowrun can help a lot towards maintaining the game's integrity.

But, that's my two ¥. Best wishes, and do stay in touch.

Warm Regards,
GreyPawn
SRO Project Lead
www.shadowrunmmo.com
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (GreyPawn)
First off, don't take the Dumpshockers too seriously.

On the contrary, take us very seriously. Just don't overestimate our importance or the degree to which we represent the world at large.

There are two basic exchanges that occur between Developer and Player. Permanent Death truncates or negates previous exchanges.
The basic exchange is that the Player gives the Developer Money for World and Time for Achievement.

Though I recognize that it aids in attracting a certain segment of the fanbase, I consider this idea of direct exchange of time for achievement to be one of the abominations of our modern age.

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (GreyPawn @ Apr 6 2007, 04:56 PM)
First off, don't take the Dumpshockers too seriously.  The concept of a Shadowrun MMO immediately draws to surface the most jaded naysayers and rabid fanbois near simultaneously.  Introducing the SRO project a few years ago lead to a very large thread with some very shearing criticism and doubts.

I think this should read:

"First off, don't let the Dumpshockers get to you. The concept of a Shadowrun MMO immediately draws to surface the most knowledged naysayers and rabid fanbois near simultaneously. Introducing the SRO project a few years ago lead to a very large thread with some very shearing criticism and doubts."

Make it true, or don't make it at all. We'll call you on your bullshit, and expect you to do the same to us.

If you eek one step away from canon, you can bet we'll have an issue with it, and take it up with you immediately.

You don't like that? Don't make a Shadowrun game. Even if you didn't advertise it on DS, we'd find it. And berate you for your mistakes.

Pushing it away from canon is only going to alienate the PnP purists, and a good majority of Shadowrun players are those.

Shadowrun is not just mechanics. It is flavor. It is story. It is the entire fucking world. Change one bit of that, and it loses its flavor, its history, its flare.

Change too much, and it's just another wannabe game with Shadowrun slapped over it to make it look good.
2bit
Shadowrun is not just mechanics. It is flavor. It is story. It is the entire fucking world. Change one bit of that, and it loses its flavor, its history, its flare.
Out of these three, though, mechanics is the most malleable. Unless you're just making a graphic user interface for the pen and paper shadowrun, changes have to be made.
knasser

All that I know for certain is that the desperate attempt to market to the widest possible range of tastes has caused Hollywood to produce a long stream of mediocre movies.

And they're repetitive too.

If you follow a formula of how it should be done you'll end up with a clone of all the other MMO games. Only it wont be as good as them because you'll just be copying them.

DO pay attention to people here on Dumpshock because this is an enormously concentrated knowledge resource for the Shadowrun setting and flavour. And that is what will set your game apart. With the best will in the world, it wont be the gameplay or the interface, though I will allow that both may be good. It will be if you can get across some of Shadowrun's enormously rich setting and flavour.

I have a few ideas for this. I'll type them up after this.

-K.

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (2bit)
Out of these three, though, mechanics is the most malleable. Unless you're just making a graphic user interface for the pen and paper shadowrun, changes have to be made.

Extremely few, really. Most of the mechanics can be translated directly, and IMO should be. The big areas that need creativity that I've identified involve pool use.

~J
holychampion
These questions raise a good point: our artists, while talented, heve never played Shadowrun. Comments like this guide them, and any of you here who are artists, and so inclined, would be quite a welcome addition to the team

I would like a chance to do this. Who do I submitt to? Is the Forum posting acceptable? If so please feel free to look at the forum post 'Drawings: holychampion'.
I would truly appreciate this, and an oppurtunity should u like what u see.
knasser
On the subject of death, this is a fairly ever-present thing in Shadowrun and to lose it, or to mitigate it, would significantly alter the flavour of the game. Likewise, allowing people to develop their characters in a D&D style ever increasing invulnerability would have a similar effect.

For both of these issues I have a couple of undeveloped ideas. They're not fully thought through and I'd be interested to see if anyone can iron out the bugs.

For the issue of death, Shadowrun has always been a team game. The basic unit of play is the Shadowrunning team. Perhaps ways could be found to replace the identification with a single character with an identification with a formal team. Thus the high level of danger can be preserved from the Shadowrun PnP game without people thinking that their precious time and acheivement is lost when a character dies.

Off the top of my head, ways you could formalise and encourage this in the game would be
1. Formal teams as an actual entity in the game. Name, membership list (with max size), etc.
2. Reputation as a team attribute. This can be a de facto "I'm better than you" substitute in some ways, but can also be a vital part of the game, opening up higher-level runs, affecting the acquisition of equipment, contacts, relations with NPCs, etc.
3. Drive the team aspect home by formalising the effects of new players joining a team, character trading (or defecting) between teams, etc. There's a lot of scope for expanding on this. For example, a team saying to themselves "do we let Khadim join? We need a mage, but he'll lower our reputation temporarily and he has emnity points with both Yaks, Mafia and Renraku. That's bad."
4. No playing other than in a team. (Maybe not a hard rule, but a soft one that is strongly discouraged through things like dying loses all accumulated nuyen, contacts, etc. whereas a team will preserve some of this.

The effect of the death of a character would therefore be damaging, in that the team then had to take the player back on with a newer, less experienced and reputable character. But it wouldn't be the complete waste of a players time that the death of their character would have been otherwise.

For the second issue, ways of substituting for the accumulating invulnerability and personal power you get in other games, I can think of the following:
Increasing contacts, influence and resources. Imagine the game where you could bump off player X's character but you look at his rep list (or whatever we want to call it) and you see that he has high rating allegiances with both the Yakuza and the Mafia. And you know that if you bump him off, you're going to earn negative points with these people (and maybe a shot in the back when you really don't need it). Worse, imagine if once you've earnt these negative points, then other players would gain postive points with these groups by bumping you off. It would lend a whole new dynamic to the game. You'd need to drum it into players with the introductory material, but that's okay.

But it's not like characters in Shadowrun don't become more powerful with time. A bit of cyberware here, a quickened armour spell there. People can get pretty tough. They just never become invulnerable.

Now some of these ideas need work and fleshing out, but I hope they stir some ideas and show you that you don't have to follow Grey Pawn's MMO formula for pleasing all areas of the market. There are always other options if you look,

-K.
2bit
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (2bit @ Apr 6 2007, 06:12 PM)

Extremely few, really. Most of the mechanics can be translated directly, and IMO should be. The big areas that need creativity that I've identified involve pool use.

~J

Negative... there are many, MANY things that have to change mechanically for the game to transition into MMO format. Things you may not consider mechanics, things you take for granted in MMOs. Time, for example, and our perception of it. How long should it take to get across Seattle? How long to heal from wounds? How long to heal after getting a new piece of 'ware installed? Other things, like what effect does the Influence spell have on another PC? What possible place does a surprise test have in an MMO? Do astral entities travel at the speed of thought? These are all mechanics.

On a personal opinion note, SR is turn based and I don't think that has any place in an MMO. Abilities can have refresh timers, but that's a different mechanic. And I really wouldn't want to have movement speed represented by quickness like previous editions. can you imagine a video game where you can knowingly create a character that runs 1 m/sec (estimating; 3 per combat round) and one that runs 21?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (2bit)
Negative... there are many, MANY things that have to change mechanically for the game to transition into MMO format.

Not as many as you'd think.

Things you may not consider mechanics, things you take for granted in MMOs.  Time, for example, and our perception of it. […]  How long to heal from wounds?  How long to heal after getting a new piece of 'ware installed?

These are some of them.

How long should it take to get across Seattle?

This is not.

Other things, like what effect does the Influence spell have on another PC?

This isn't a rule modification, it's an issue that exists in the game in its current form.

What possible place does a surprise test have in an MMO?

You have to define some undefined circumstances in which surprise tests happen, but the surprise test is simple, and the result is no more complex than the action system.

Do astral entities travel at the speed of thought?  These are all mechanics.

No, that's flavour. Do astral entities travel at magic*1,000km/turn (or whatever it was, I don't project often enough)? That's a mechanic.

On a personal opinion note, SR is turn based and I don't think that has any place in an MMO.

This is another valid place requiring change.

Abilities can have refresh timers, but that's a different mechanic.

Only if it's per-ability. If you get n complex actions per 3 seconds (or n*2 simple actions), you have your system. The order changes, but a substantial part of the mechanics remain the same.

And I really wouldn't want to have movement speed represented by quickness like previous editions.  can you imagine a video game where you can knowingly create a character that runs 1 m/sec (estimating; 3 per combat round) and one that runs 21?

I have no problem with it.

~J
Straight Razor
Permanent Death does not exist in any MMO to date.
It does exist in two MUDs, Armageddon and Batmud Hardcore, although these are shining representations why it happens to be uncommon.

that is a not a wholly-true statement. again i envoke the name of eve online.

my friend and I are working an a force 6D rant to be posted on here in a day or two.

but the bullet points are:

death should suck, you character should, loose gear(from being looted) , essence(from needed implants), magic, get wounds and eventually become so war wounded that it must be retired.
the player will become more game wise and there will be fun in looking foward to you next character. this introduces a life cycle to the world and the sense of time progression.
when you get "killed" Doc wagon wiskes you away and you are out of that mission altogether.

PVP will be the law of the land. The idea proposed is that 2 teams will be running the same "instance" at the same time, with there gaols stepping on the other. if not mutually exclusive.

player based economy sucks. don't do it.
reward the players with items and reputation the the corp, that will inturn get them better rewards.

and yes this is a collection of purests fan-boys. you'll never be good enough for us, spin.gif

but i want to see someone give it a good try any way.
GreyPawn
First off, don't take the Dumpshockers too seriously.

On the contrary, take us very seriously. Just don't overestimate our importance or the degree to which we represent the world at large.

Let me clarify on this, so that it isn't taken out of context. Community is incredibly important, and we wouldn't be here without it. However, doing something like a Shadowrun MMO is prohibitive of a "design-by-committee" process. I did make mention of Dumpshock as being an invaluable resource, and it is an excellent sounding board for some of the more obscure or troubling issues that an SR video game might come acrossed, but much of the discourse is liable to center around a purist non-constructive pure opinion basis.

In other words, don't base any major features of the game on the fleeting wishes of any forum-goers. In my experience, having spoken with numerous folks in the industry and fans of Shadowrun, I've found that the overwhelming majority, if you talk to them long enough, come to almost exactly how the same conclusions that we have about transitioning SR to an MMO. That's an incredibly reassuring thing, but does it takes time to get to that common denominator.

What my point was, though, is much what you said. Don't overestimate or take it to heart too much. To be honest, after my initial post here on DS announcing SRO and the lambasting it received, I was disheartened and half-tempted to give up the ghost on the project. My advice is to perservere regardless of external opinion.
Straight Razor
much of the discourse is just plain liable biggrin.gif

but yea, i'll agree with you GrayPawn,

I just think a lot of us have a fear that a Bad MMO with the SR name will drive people away from ever picking up the P&P game. Us SR P&P fans are few and far between.
knasser
QUOTE (Straight Razor @ Apr 7 2007, 06:34 AM)
much of the discourse is just plain liable biggrin.gif

but yea, i'll agree with you GrayPawn, 

I just think a lot of us have a fear that a Bad MMO with the SR name will drive people away from ever picking up the P&P game.  Us SR P&P fans are few and far between.

I think most of the bad feeling toward games that simply take the Shadowrun name and trample all over the setting is very simply, that it is a huge fucking waste.

If you're not going to make the game Shadowrun, then why use the name? Sales, I suppose. And if you follow some formula for the game that you think produces a successful MMO, then you'll end up with a copy of all the other ones out there. Only it wont be as good.

You could apply the same arguments about time and investment to the PnP game and if you did, what would you get? D&D! Not everyone wants to play D&D. A lot of us choose to play Shadowrun in games where the GM is quite content to slaughter us if we make too many mistakes. There has to be distinction between audience tastes to produce anything of quality. If you set out Hollywood style to please both ends and middle of the bell curve too, then what do you get? A Michael Bay movie. You don't want to make a Michael Bay movie, do you?

Are there no comments on my suggestions? I thought that I had given some good examples of how you could preserve Shadowrun flavour whilst not alienating players. I'm sure there are others. Not that I'm allowing that Shadowrun flavour would alienate players. See previous comment about not everyone wanting to play D&D. What has been true for the PnP market will be true for the MMO market.

And I will say one more thing for definite, which is that games backed by certain large companies can afford to disregard the original source, because... well, they're backed by certain large companies. Pissing people off with a lack of respect for something they care about doesn't matter. But for an open source project, this should not be the case.

Because you don't have Michael Bay's marketing budget.
Ravor
You know, why can'y you have your cake and eat it too with the death issue?

Instead of focusing on a single character use a Character Pool, and as your Primary Character gains karma, a certain percentage (If I remember correctly in Third Editition it was ~1/4 or 1/2.) goes into a pool which can be used to improve the rest of the characters in any given pool.

That way death will still be huge, but the player also won't have to start completely from stratch either.
Tanka
QUOTE (Ravor)

Instead of focusing on a single character use a Character Pool, and as your Primary Character gains karma, a certain percentage (If I remember correctly in Third Editition it was ~1/4 or 1/2.) goes into a pool which can be used to improve the rest of the characters in any given pool.

That way death will still be huge, but the player also won't have to start completely from stratch either.

I certainly do not remember this being in any version of Shadowrun I've played.
knasser
QUOTE (Ravor)

Hello? Didn't I just write a multi-paragraph post earlier suggesting this very approach? I feel like I'm talking into a vaccuum here.

And Tanka, 2nd edition had Team Karma. I don't remember whether 1st edition had it or not, but probably did.

-K.
Tanka
I don't think he was referencing Team Karma. At least, not in the way I've ever seen it implemented.
Ravor
It could be that my memory is simply failing me as well, and that I've somehow gotten confused with another game's approach. embarrassed.gif

I still don't think that its a bad idea even if it wasn't part of Shadowrun like I thought it was.
snowRaven
A Shadowrun MMO could be absolutely amazing, in my opinion.

A few pointers, though:

1) STAY AWAY from character classes beyond Male/Female, Human/Ork/Elf/Dwarf/Troll and Mundane/Magician/Adept/Mystic Adept/Technomancer. Let players choose skills, gear, cyber etc as approperiate after that, for varied and individual characters.

2) Look toward the feel of MMOs like City of Heroes and Matrix Online - both have a set-up that is fairly easy to translate into Shadowrun, and MxO especially has a very gritty feel to the setting and a pretty good mission system.

3) Make sure to stick to certain concepts from the RPG - Essence limiting cyberware, magic and resonance.

4) Try and create the three overlapping 'worlds' - Astral, Real, and Augmented Reality.

5) Make sure there is a wide-variety of missions to choose from, from several organisations and free agents. Use a Reputation system to limit access to special missions, and make sure that people can benefit both from choosing to work for a certain organisation, as well as freelancing for everyone.

6) Character creation: Make this customizable as far as body type, hair and facial hair goes, and make sure there is ALOT of different clothing options in the game. If you can introduce a background for the character that could be excellent.

Say, you choose one among several options for where the character was born, raised and trained, and how he/she became a runner. These options will give bonuses to certain skills/attributes and penalties to others.

Try to stay fairly true to the current character creation style (BP buying Skills, Qualities, Attributes, Powers, Gear etc from base lists) and the advancement through Karma.

Introducing some sort of level system would be good, though, but instead of calling it Level, use the existing Street Cred and Notoriety ratings. Street Cred as a measure of experience, and Notoriety (positive or negative) as an indicator of 'honor' and such.

Loose Notoriety for things like ganking, maybe.

This'll create some flexibility as well, because you can either diversify and be good at many things, or specialize and be Really Good at one or two things.

That added - good luck and try to stay true to the feel of the setting.

EDIT:

Death: Treat 'Death' as severe injuries, and give several options to counter it:

- Burn Edge to revive fast (basically self-ressurect at a cost)
- Use Magic to heal the character (ressurect/healing by others)
- Have a DocWagon contract and be taken care of (fast healing and little gear loss)
- Heal naturally (takes longer and loss of gear)
a_jediknight
QUOTE (GreyPawn)
First off, don't take the Dumpshockers too seriously. The concept of a Shadowrun MMO immediately draws to surface the most jaded naysayers and rabid fanbois near simultaneously. Introducing the SRO project a few years ago lead to a very large thread with some very shearing criticism and doubts.

Actually, we are taking them quite seriously. Dumpshock represents by and large the core and heart of the Shadowrun fanbase.

We can do so because, essentually, our game is likely to be free to play. Emotional investment is good, but all pen and paper RPG Gamemasters know that even if their favorite character suffers perma-death... they'll come back for more abuse soon.

As an open source project, the game is not likely to be a money maker, and is DEFINATELY not money driven. This gives us the freedom to make the game we want, rather than the game that will sell. Without a Marketing and Accounting department riding our asses, we can develop a freaking game!
a_jediknight
QUOTE (holychampion)
These questions raise a good point: our artists, while talented, heve never played Shadowrun. Comments like this guide them, and any of you here who are artists, and so inclined, would be quite a welcome addition to the team

I would like a chance to do this. Who do I submitt to? Is the Forum posting acceptable? If so please feel free to look at the forum post 'Drawings: holychampion'.
I would truly appreciate this, and an oppurtunity should u like what u see.

All are welcome on the forums. Sign up and post your links to samples. I have looked at them, and other team members will as well if you post there. Talent is always welcome!

I can't say "hell yea, come on in!" because I do not manage the artists. Erik will get with you and make his opinion known.
a_jediknight
QUOTE (Ravor)

Nice idea! I'll bounce it off the dev team. We are discussing 'legacy' characters, sponsored or in the will of a higher level who died (the player's previous character) and this fits that discussion nicely.
you will be credited, of course.
a_jediknight
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Apr 7 2007, 04:01 PM)

Instead of focusing on a single character use a Character Pool, and as your Primary Character gains karma,  a certain percentage (If I remember correctly in Third Editition it was ~1/4 or 1/2.) goes into a pool which can be used to improve the rest of the characters in any given pool.

Hello? Didn't I just write a multi-paragraph post earlier suggesting this very approach? I feel like I'm talking into a vaccuum here.

And Tanka, 2nd edition had Team Karma. I don't remember whether 1st edition had it or not, but probably did.

-K.

I apologize, I missed your post of this nature. I will go back and read it.
eralston
Tanka's long post about straying from SR one iota causing the wrath of DS is a pretty constant overriding editorial comment in the project. http://awakenedmmo.org/wiki/Canon summarizes such notes.

Permanent death!!! ROARRR!!! I don't think anyone has had a luke warm opinion about that. They either believe it's core to the SR flavor or that is needs to be amended for the sake of the average players. I am the first to remind everyone that DEATH is permanent in SR, but NEAR DEATH is rather recoverable. In many games where the characters would die, they only mostly die in SR. The normal facilities for averting death will still be present in one form or another, including: DocWagon, Magical healing, medkits, etc. Also, everyone remembers that you don't have to fight til you die right? He who fights and runs away...makes it easier on us to have a perma-death mechanic!

The other mechanic we wish to introduce is the concept of an ending for characters other than death. The stories of the characters in Shadowrun: Awakened will hopefully have a beginning, a middle, and AN END. Again, the idea is in flux, but we want characters to have an end other than death so people have a much longer-term goal than "become level 60 then be obnoxious").

Points on presenting Astral, Matrix, and the real world all together is very valid. It is made easier by the presence of AR in SR4 (SR4 being our core edition for material). This means the worlds are concurrent. Their presentation together is very important.

I find DS's passion on this subject quite rejuvenating, but remember that there are going to be people "in the trenches" on the project trying to deliver on these promises. Only time will tell on some of this so don't entirely judge what we will deliver tomorrow by what you read today.

And, if you are capable, why not try to give us a hand? First, read about us here: http://awakenedmmo.org/wiki/Members_Charter and consider if you truly want to be a part of this and that you will be able to competently and consistently be a contributor. Anyone interested after that can join us during one of our scheduled IRC chats (look on the "Calendar" off the forums page) or contact on the "core members" directly.
Kagetenshi
Good luck on the project, but since you won't (as far as I'm concerned) be basing your game on SR I'll stay out of it.

~J
a_jediknight
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Good luck on the project, but since you won't (as far as I'm concerned) be basing your game on SR I'll stay out of it.

~J

Can you expand on why you believe this won't be based on SR? We believe quite the opposite.
Kagetenshi
Because I believe Shadowrun, 4th edition to be a misnomer. PM me if you want to discuss it further.

~J
knasser
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Because I believe Shadowrun, 4th edition to be a misnomer. PM me if you want to discuss it further.

~J

Oh come on! If the MMO's rules are based on rolling Pistols skill against TN 4 or Agility + Pistols against TN 5, it's surely not going to make much visible difference? If they stick to the concepts and flavour of Shadowrun then the visible differences between the editions will be hardly anything... Shamans will have bound spirits and Mages will summon on the fly. I can't think of anything else major at the moment.

@a_jediknight: Please do go back and read my post (the long long one) as I put quite a bit of thought into it and hoped it would be useful.
Kagetenshi
I'm not going to run the numbers to see how different SR3 and "SR"4 are when firing a pistol, but I suggest you reread the flavour portions of your rulebooks if you want to make the claim that you can "stick to" both at the same time.

Fair warning: further discussion in this vein not in PMs will be ignored.

~J
hyzmarca
On the issue of permadeath, I think Dragon Realms handled it well. Dragon Realms, death is permenant by default. In order to resurrect your character, you had two choices. The most obvious is to have a level 20 cleric cast a resurrection spell on your corpse before it decayed into nothing. This wasn't usually an option, however. There were no level 20 Clerics when I played the game.
The second way, and the most common way, was to earn Favors from the gods. One had to go on a quest to earn favors and have to pay exp to accumulate them. It was a rather long and drawn out procedure and characters often died without any favors to spend, although most players were cautious enough to stay out of dangerous combat before restocking.

In SR, DocWagon was take the place of favors. PCs could spend resources to secure a HRT contract. If a PC has a HRT contract then extremely beefy NPCs with the Doc Wagon printed on their heavy milspec armor come and pick up him up when he hits overflow. He wakes up in a Doc Wagon hospital minus any equipment that he dropped when his boxes were filled. He then has to pay the bill in full before he can secure another contract. Platnium contracts could be rare and expensive that PCs probably won't be able to afford them for a very long time.

The thing is that favors are cheap for low level characters and expensive for high level characters due to the way the exp system works in Dragon Realms. Each skill has its own independent exp which is expressed as a percentage and which is raised by successful skill use. When the percentage reaches 100 the skill gains a level and the percentage is resent to 0. As the skill levels are raised raised, the exp one gains for using that skill is reduced. However, favors always cost a fixed level percentage. Because low level characters in this system will have an abundance of spare exp percentage there is little excuse for them to suffer permadeath while high level characters have to be more careful due to the increasing tedium of earning exp to spend of favors. This results in a tendancy towards low level characters.

However, justifying such a system for docwagon is difficult to do IC. It is possible to just suspend disbelief in this case, but I'd rather not.
Darkest Angel
Death should be done just as it is in SR, as in SR so long as the character can be stabilized promtly ten boxes are actually very survivable. This should make death less likely, as most groups would have at least a couple of people with the biotech skill, and everyone should have a decent medkit and trauma patches. It would really change the emphasis of the mission if a group member gets shot up that badly, just as it should do. Obviously it would be down to your teamates whether they pick whatever kit you drop up (and whether they give it back!). Following that, the side effects of your injuries would manifest as wound effects as penalties.

Obviously, if you do fail to stabilise in time, you die - dead.
knasser
QUOTE (Darkest Angel)
Death should be done just as it is in SR, as in SR so long as the character can be stabilized promtly ten boxes are actually very survivable. This should make death less likely, as most groups would have at least a couple of people with the biotech skill, and everyone should have a decent medkit and trauma patches. It would really change the emphasis of the mission if a group member gets shot up that badly, just as it should do. Obviously it would be down to your teamates whether they pick whatever kit you drop up (and whether they give it back!). Following that, the side effects of your injuries would manifest as wound effects as penalties.

Obviously, if you do fail to stabilise in time, you die - dead.

Without changing my stance that "resurrection" is unneccessary in the game (and in fact takes away some of the uniqueness), I have to say that this idea is very good and very Shadowrun. It is very Shadowrun because the player is entirely dependent on team mates and allies to save him. If he is unpopular or has slighted them, then he will die.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (knasser)
If he is unpopular or has slighted them, then he will die.

Or may be stabilized by the corp...
Ravor
...only to find out that they have implanted a cortex bomb...
Tanka
Cyberzombie, yay!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012