Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SRO April Fools Joke
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
GreyPawn
For those who missed the April Fools joke the SRO Project posted (the site has reverted to normal state), here's a snippet I just had to share with you Dumpshockers-

After some careful deliberation, the team has decided that Shadowrun can be better served if done as a Turn-Based Strategy game.  We thought long and hard about this, and we didn't come to this decision lightly.  "Shadowrun Sudoku" (puzzle), "Shadowrun: Rise of The Runners" (RTS), and "Runner Prix 2007" (Racing) were all considered, but we felt that turn-based strategy suited best.

The Shadowrun universe has a lot of history and some great fiction as a pen and paper roleplaying game, but we feel that a turn-based strategy style game really complimented the setting and is the best direction to take things at this time.  Many fans of the original RPG will probably take this as blasphemy, but we've had a good number of die-hard fans play the game (in its early stages) and already they say that is is incredibly fun.  As you can see from the screenshot, we've already come a great deal of the way with the game.

Our aim with Shadowrun Wars is to give the player more verbs than other similar turn-based games.  In Shadowrun Wars for instance, your nation can declare war on other nations, and you can activate awesome weapons of mass destruction like the Ares Thor Hammer.  The Ares Thor Hammer is an orbital spike of solid steel that has rocket boosters on it that send it plummeting towards the planet, exploding with incredible force to devastate your opponent's monthly ¥ income.

Already a few folks have called this a "Europa Universalis" clone, but that's only because they haven't played it yet.  It has been called "Europa Universalis" with gadgets by some early players, and is great fun if given a chance.  An excellent example of the awesome verbs the game contains is when you go to the Corporate Court screen and petition for the Extraterritoriality bonus.  You can actually bribe the Court members with money, or have them blown up with a Relampago rocket launcher bought on the black market!

Shadowrun Turn-Based Strategy Screenshot

A handful of folks actually fell for it! wink.gif
Kagetenshi
You jest, but I think my favourite idea yet for a Shadowrun game is an asymmetric FPS/RTS: you'd play it multiplayer, one player would play the corp, the other(s) the runner team. Be hell to balance, but I could see it being damn fun.

~J
Blade
Dungeon Keeper meets Shadowrun meets a team FPS... biggrin.gif
mattness pl
...meets Risk? biggrin.gif

I like TBS, though smile.gif .
Rajaat99
Eh, I'd play it.
odinson
A TBS shadowrun game using a system like jagged alliance or x-com could be cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012