Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrunners' Tricks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aaron
One of my players at the game tonight had an idea for temporarily taking out a target without killing him.

Basically, beat him to the brink of death, near or just into overflow. Then stabilize him if necessary, and cast Heal on him at Force 1.
Ravor
Aye, but wouldn't it be safer and simpler to use a Sustaining Focus and Turn to Goo?

Plus according to RAW's rather stupid counterdiction of itself, you could even salvage the target's cyberware if you didn't care about keeping him alive...

Still I must say, I love the campaign that you're running, keep up the good work... (Although have your player update more, I'm experiencing withdrawal. wink.gif )
The Jopp
Drones
Take a doberman and put 4 flashpacks on each location (Left, right, front, back) and the same thing is done with Flash-Bangs. Connect all items to the Drones PAN/Subscription list and let it run at max speed into a group of enemies and detonate all of it at once.

The drone cannot take stun damage but everyone around it will be hurt, unconscious or badly wounded by damage going into physical.

For riot control this would be Pepper Punch,Teargas and/or whatever Local securities would deem necessary.

Flash-Pack
Have flash-packs attached on your chest so that they point towards the enemy and connect it to your PAN – can then be “fired” with a mental command.

Improvised Explosives

Ultrabomb
1. Sensor Tag
2. Motion Sensor
3. Grenade of your choice

Install the motion sensor to the sensor tag and “tag” the grenade. Subscribe the grenade to the sensor tag. Grenade will detonate when sensor tag detects movement.

Note: You want to activate from a distance or become chunky salsa yourself.

Tripper
1. Sensor Tag
2. Rangefinder Sensor
3. Grenade of your choice

As above but now you have a grenade that detonates when the beam is broken.

Improved Sensors
Some drones are to tiny to carry a large sensor suite but that wont stop them from carrying RFID tags, or Sensor Tags since they are so tiny and can be attached to the drones hull. The drawback is mostly that some sensors can be limited in efficiency since they are smaller than regular sensors.

Another Kind of Electronic Warfare
Grapple Guns, Arrows or Darts can all carry a small sensor tag without too much hassle. Motion Sensors, Microphones etc can all be used to gain an edge in any operation. Attach the sensor tag to the object and fire it at a good location and have it connected to your groups PAN’s.

Drone Sensor Seeder
Want to have an are full of sensors but not enough drones to cover the area? Have a small drone scatter whatever sensor you need across the area. The weight of them is insignificant so a micro drone should have no problem to carry a couple of handfuls.

Rear View Mirror
Attach a sensor drone (camera) to the back of your head, jacket, long coat etc and have a window open in your PAN for a rear view, makes those sneak attacks and ambushes a bit harder.

Cybereyes and becoming Blinded
Ok, this might be a bit controversial but when you have cyberyes you technically view a computerised image on a screen directly connected to your optical nerve. So, shouldn’t one be able to do the following.

Add two camera tags connected to a pair of glasses that are shut off but that when needed can be activated at will. If the character becomes blinded by flash-bangs etc the cybereyes whould essentially be overloaded but not your actual optical nerve (this could become a debate.)

When blindness occur the character shuts down the cybereyes (effectively removing their normal vision) and connect to the PAN enabled Camera Tags into a 20/20 vision full screen POV.

The above options can and should be used by GM’s as well.
Garrowolf
Why not get flash suppression? That's what it is there for.

You can make cheap drones with RC cars. I had a character that would attach a SMG and an explosive to 5 RC cars and run them around. They would make the guards think that the place was under attack from the wrong direction. When they got too close the explosives would go off.

I had a different character that always thought that the Mr Johnson was out to get them. So he collected info on the person that hired him and put it in a time release file on the matrix. He had to update every once in a while to keep it from going off. He would place a large bounty with it so that if he went down then this file would open and pay someone to kill the person that set him up.

DigitEyez
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
I had a different character that always thought that the Mr Johnson was out to get them. So he collected info on the person that hired him and put it in a time release file on the matrix. He had to update every once in a while to keep it from going off. He would place a large bounty with it so that if he went down then this file would open and pay someone to kill the person that set him up.

That is awesome. I'm totally going to do that with my Technomancer, if I ever get around to not be the GM.
nezumi
It's called a dead-man's switch, and things like that have been used in one form or another for years.

Here's one I've been considering. Meet your mark in a pub or bar. Your plant starts chatting you up and mentions that you can do some cool tricks. Since no one uses coins or bills any more, you've learned your tricks with cards and credsticks (cards happen to include passcards, what a coincidence!) Say you can do the trick, but need a credstick or card. Get your mark interested and convince him to offer up his stick/card for the trick. Use your palming skill for some neat stunts, making it disappear from one hand and appear in the other, appear on the other side of the room, so on and so forth. These tricks have been around for three hundred years now, but they still entertain and leave no astral markers, so the guy knows it isn't actual spell-casting, and knows that spells can't teleport stuff, so it's still pretty neat.

Of course, while the card/stick is palmed, you can hand it off to a confederate. While you continue doing the tricks, the confederate has some set amount of time to copy the item or get any relevant information, then return it for you to finish the show.

Probably not useful if you have a specific mark in mind, but if you're willing to cast a wide net, it can get a few nice leads, which you can then use to break into the person's house or whatever (works better with keys and driver's licenses probably, but we'll make do).

Kyoto Kid
...check the Heavy Angel site. Distraction in a Can, wonderful item when you want security to be elsewhere.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Aaron)
One of my players at the game tonight had an idea for temporarily taking out a target without killing him.

Basically, beat him to the brink of death, near or just into overflow. Then stabilize him if necessary, and cast Heal on him at Force 1.

That might not always work, as the rules for dying NPCs and PCs seems a bit different. Basically, NPCs reduced to 0 physical boxes are either dead or dying - DMs choise.

Besides it's an illogical abuse of the system anyway - people in RL would never try to take people alive by shooting them (in the chest or other vulnerable area), and then applying first aid to stabilize. The risk to kill them would be too great, and many wounds, although not immedately fatal will kill someone even with first aid (heck even surgeries fail).

If you want to take someone alive there are numerous ways to do so in Shadowrun, many very (too?) effective.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Aaron)

This reeks of meta-game thinking.

That's all I have to say.

QUOTE (Aaron)

yeah, use the petrify spell, super easy, no clean up. and if you think you might get screwed, just threaten to push the petrified statue into an acid bath, it'll dissolve with no muss no fuss.
cristomeyers
I always just used injection arrows with Gamma Scopolamine. Muscle paraylsis and truth serum all in one.
evilgenius
The biggest issue we've always had was Ares or other Corp Cops responding when we fudged a run. That would always make our day bad.

So, we went and stole some training material from Ares. Since it's training stuff (not high security operational info, but the training plans they give raw recruits) it was easy to get. Bribe an Ares low level sec goon, which should be easy enough seeing that they're only paid enough to be able to afford to eat soypuke anyways.

That material would include the standard operating procedures for calling in "contact reports" or whatever.

Then, we would have a couple of options;

1. Inform the dispatcher (contact info would be in the training material) that we're going to be running a training scenario at a certain location to test the guards. Who are we? We're so and so, the training Support Officer / drill instructor (whose name would be in the training package of course). When everything frags up, they wouldn't send backup since it was only a scenario. Oh yeah, you're testing the wireless matrix security too (this only worked once).

2. After you geek your first guard, you grab his radio, and using their own procedures, call in phony contacts elsewhere. Assuming you're not in a facility with 100% video coverage, they won't know which are real and which are fake. Even if you are, then your hacker has his job to do, but the added confusion can really throw a monkey-wrench into their response.
kzt
QUOTE (evilgenius)
1.  Inform the dispatcher (contact info would be in the training material) that we're going to be running a training scenario at a certain location to test the guards.  Who are we?  We're so and so, the training Support Officer / drill instructor (whose name would be in the training package of course).  When everything frags up, they wouldn't send backup since it was only a scenario. 

Training material isn't going to enable you to do that. They aren't stupid. NOBODY does a red team operation without having cleared it with god, as the guys at the other end have real guns with real bullets. And, if it's a test, you want the response teams to roll. They'd roll if it was real, they would roll if was a test. And if it was a test they would be on a higher level of alert, as nobody likes to look bad and someone would probably tip them off. sarcastic.gif

Consider yourself calling up the local police department and telling them you are going to carry out a robbery drill of the local armored car outfit. What would convince them that you were real and not have them park the SWAT team in there waiting for you? How would you know if you had succeeded? wink.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (kzt)
Training material isn't going to enable you to do that. They aren't stupid. NOBODY does a red team operation without having cleared it with god, as the guys at the other end have real guns with real bullets. And, if it's a test, you want the response teams to roll. They'd roll if it was real, they would roll if was a test. And if it was a test they would be on a higher level of alert, as nobody likes to look bad and someone would probably tip them off. sarcastic.gif

Sounds like a job for the hacker. Orders could be forged, permissions verifiable.
kzt
QUOTE (Aaron)
Sounds like a job for the hacker. Orders could be forged, permissions verifiable.

Tis true. But wouldn't it be easier and safer to just forge orders that allows you to stroll in and get whatever your target is (as they are probably are not security crazed) rather than trying to con a security company (who is security crazed) into not responding when all hell breaks lose?

"Yes, we are here to remove the old mainframe, the new one will be delivered in the morning. See this work order, issued by the CIO? Here's his home number, you don't really want me to have to call him on a Saturday, do you?"
Aaron
How about this one. Conceal a LARGE block of plastic explosives (maybe mold it into a statue and coat it with something, whatever works), and keep a small chunk. Then, when it's time to detonate, use the part you kept as a material link in a ritual casting of Lightning Bolt.
Ravor
cyber.gif love.gif vegm.gif vegm.gif
cristomeyers
QUOTE (Aaron)
How about this one. Conceal a LARGE block of plastic explosives (maybe mold it into a statue and coat it with something, whatever works), and keep a small chunk. Then, when it's time to detonate, use the part you kept as a material link in a ritual casting of Lightning Bolt.

And you guys said I was sick for using Black IC as a security measure for my car...

That's true brilliance right there.

notworthy.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (cristomeyers @ Apr 9 2007, 02:07 PM)
And you guys said I was sick for using Black IC as a security measure for my car...

Actually, I'd love to find a target that was running black IC. I'd use an agent against it, or do the actual systems penetration in AR.
Ravor
Well, I would assume that Black IC wouldn't be the only Matrix security on his car. cyber.gif

*Edit*

And if it were then he'd rightfully he'd get what he deserved.
Wasabi
QUOTE (Aaron)

QFT.
Ravor
Ok, you've lost me, what exactly is "QFT"?
Demerzel
Quoted for truth
Ravor
Thanks.
Wasabi
QFT = Quoted For the Truth.
Is used after a quote.
States that you agree with this person.
Usually used on internet forums.

For things like this do a data search on www.urbandictionary.com
[may not be work safe]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012