Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PDF update for Fourth Printing of SR4 Core
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
desverendi
Ok so some of us have been asking for almost a month now for a guesstimate on when the PDF version of the core rulebook will be updated with the version 1.5 errata. I keep checking DriveThru and there does not appear to be an updated version out yet. Is it too much to ask for us to at least get a time frame when it will be updated? I'm assuming that the source document had to be updated for the Fourth printing so why the delay? I already bought a hard copy of the new printing, there is no reason that I shouldn't have my PDF update already right?
Wasabi
If they wanted to make it available they would... but haven't.
desverendi
Maybe you're right. It does seem kind of fishy. I'll vote with the only power I have then, my wallet!
Aaron
I just made the alterations in a copy of the one that I have. I can't give it to you folks, but you might want to try doing it yourself.
Demerzel
It has been said before, and I don't know the thread but the PDF has to be bookmarked by hand and that is a time consuming process. Try searching for PDF and Bookmark or bookmarking and you may find if it was Adam or Synner. But that's the delay last I heard, and it wasn't long ago.
knasser
QUOTE (desverendi)
Ok so some of us have been asking for almost a month now for a guesstimate on when the PDF version of the core rulebook will be updated with the version 1.5 errata. I keep checking DriveThru and there does not appear to be an updated version out yet. Is it too much to ask for us to at least get a time frame when it will be updated? I'm assuming that the source document had to be updated for the Fourth printing so why the delay? I already bought a hard copy of the new printing, there is no reason that I shouldn't have my PDF update already right?

Don't ask for timeframes. They will only lead to anguish and suffering. I asked for a timeframe for Arsenal and was told June 2006. It's been nothing but miserable checking the shadowrunrpg.com site ever since.

But yes, I too would like my updated 4th edition PDF. I thought I heard that Fanpro had taken on someone full time. I know bookmarking can take a while but seriously, the 4th edition has what? A couple of hundred bookmarks. Given that you know where they're all supposed to be you should be able to do them at more than one a minute. It would be a morning's work or thereabouts, shouldn't it?
Demerzel
I guess my pointing that out was a little pointless since the comment I'm refering to was made in reply to desverendi in this post:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...=0&#entry522079
Adam
I'm horribly stuck on another project and have been quite sick lately, as well. The update will be delivered to previous buyers and it will still be free, but until some other stuff is cleaned off my plate, I won't have time to finish it.

I'm not sure what you've heard about FanPro bringing someone new on fulltime, knasser, but there's no truth to that.
deek
Not to add more fuel to the fire, but yeah, looking at the size of the PDF and the amount of bookmarks, this should be within a 4-6 hour timeframe worth of work. Probably a little less for someone familiar with the content...

It just comes down to making it a priority and honestly, I don't see it as a high one. Everyone has tasks in their job that they don't "feel" like doing or making it a priority...things that are tedious or whatnot. And with FanPro being mainly made up of freelancers, I am sure there is much more interesting things for a person to do...

But then again, the tedious jobs usually end up being not as bad as you thought once you start...

With a full plate and a less than desirable task at hand, I am not surprised it is taking this long...
RobertB
Adam,

I'm curious. What software do you use to do final production for Shadowrun books? Most of the word processing, technical publication, and desktop publishing software I've worked with can generate bookmarks automatically during .pdf creation. Just professional curiosity I guess.

Robert
Rotbart van Dainig
The PDF says: InDesign.
Adam
QUOTE (RobertB)
I'm curious. What software do you use to do final production for Shadowrun books? Most of the word processing, technical publication, and desktop publishing software I've worked with can generate bookmarks automatically during .pdf creation. Just professional curiosity I guess.

InDesign CS2. InDesign can create bookmarks automatically when you export to PDF, but not when you print to postscript and distill to PDF, which is the process I use for SR4 -- it provides better conversion of the spot colors to RGB.

I tried being a sneaky bastard and exporting one file with bookmarks to PDF, then printing to postscript, distilling, and creating a second file with the same number of pages from the better-quality process, and then simply replacing all the pages in the worse-but-bookmarked file with the better-quality pages, but it didn't work as I expected, and caused massive file bloat even after going through the usual tricks to lower PDF file size.
RobertB
Well, I don't know your budget, but since you'll probably encounter this issue with every Shadowrun book, you might want to consider a couple of options we've considered in the past.

1) You could take a look at one of several tool/plugins out there that allow you to copy bookmarks from one .pdf file to another. I don't have any specific recommendations, but I know there are a couple popular packages.

2) You might also want to consider a pre-press tool that can do color conversions within pdf files. I'd assume you need something to convert CMYK to RGB.

Just a couple thoughts to help our favorite layout guy make his job easier. wink.gif

Robert
wilcoxon
I seem to be failing my perception test. Where is the 1.5 errata? I just checked shadowrunrpg.com and the latest errata I can find is still 1.3.
the_dunner
QUOTE (wilcoxon)
I seem to be failing my perception test. Where is the 1.5 errata? I just checked shadowrunrpg.com and the latest errata I can find is still 1.3.
Demerzel
In wilcoxon's defense if you select the errata link under the big Shadowrun icon at the top of the page you get the link you linked, however if you select errata in the gray box on the left it takes you to errata 1.3...
wilcoxon
Thanks.

Silly me thinking that two links both labeled "Errata" on the same page of the same site would actually take you to the same errata. indifferent.gif
Adam
Fixed. Demerzel, if you find mistakes like that in the future, please send them to webmaster@shadowrunrpg.com
Demerzel
Heh, oh yea...
Adam
1) You could take a look at one of several tool/plugins out there that allow you to copy bookmarks from one .pdf file to another. I don't have any specific recommendations, but I know there are a couple popular packages.

I've tried a few of these and haven't found one that I liked -- but it was awhile ago, and I can't remember which specific ones I tried.

I do consider hand-built bookmark sets to be a good thing, btw: it lets me drop out some entries when they're really redundant, or move them around slightly to make some of the sidebars slightly better positioned, add duplicate listings of all the maps, that sort of stuff. Even if I found an automated tool, I'd still end up spending some time going through the bookmarks to touch them up a bit.

2) You might also want to consider a pre-press tool that can do color conversions within pdf files. I'd assume you need something to convert CMYK to RGB.

I've tried doing the color-conversion in Acrobat, and it always ends up making it into a very shocking electric green... wink.gif

Good suggestions, though. I think I have the process down, so when the other work lets up, should be able to bash it out without problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012