Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk games
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
JonathanC
I'm in the mood to get back into my old gaming habits. I've had about enough of MMORPGs (unless you know some really good scifi ones; I'm tired of WoW), and I'm in the mood for some near or far-future gaming. Action games are preferable, but I also like RPGs a lot. I found this low-rent German game called Restricted Area, but it's basically just Diablo with some ripped-off Shadowrun-ish elements.
Backgammon
Deus Ex, Deus Ex and Deux Ex some more. Deux Ex 2 after that.

Fallout 2

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

F.E.A.R. (sort of)
Fix-it
EVE online is sci-fi.
JonathanC
Yes, but is it good? Does anyone play it? I thought it was fairly obscure and underpopulated, but I don't really know.
Fix-it
I have no idea, but I hear it's pretty popular.

what I do know is some player screwed a player corporation out of quite a bit of in-game cash then ran for it. earned itself an article in several gaming magazines.
Deadhand
If its old school offline games your after try Bloodnet (if your on the right side of the abandonware arguement), its an adventure game with RPG elements with a cyberpunk game setting involving vampires. Its not the best game ever, with a dodgy combat interface and restrictive time limit (I hate game time limits) but definately worth a shot for cyberpunk fans. Can be found at;

Abandonia

For more recent stuff I agree wholeheartedly with backgammon on deus ex (amazing game), never went too much on the sequel though. And fallout 1 and 2 were amazing rpg's (PC versions only, avoid games console versions like the plague unless you like what they did to the baldurs gate series!).
nezumi
One of my friends is a mod on Eve. According to him, it's pretty good. No idea if it's especially SR in flavor, however.
IonMage
Snatcher, an old classic for the Sega CD from Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, is an excellent adventure game that should not be missed by any cyberpunk fan.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Deus Ex, Deus Ex and Deux Ex some more. Deux Ex 2 after that.

There is no Deus Ex 2. There is only Deus Ex played again.

Anyway, I second Deus Ex and Fallout 2 and add Fallout.

F.E.A.R. is totally awesome, but it isn't cyberpunk. Still, you also allowed for sci-fi.

For even more future, I highly recommend Freespace 2. It is an awesome, awesome game. Just don't bother with the mouse—a fancy joystick would be great for the game, but I personally just use all-keyboard. Nice chorded input setup to handle the number of commands, too. The company open-sourced the game when it died, so there's still active development for it going on—just look for the SCP.

~J
JonathanC
I played the original Freespace quite a bit, and I remember buying the expansion, though I don't think I finished it. I own Fallout and Fallout 2, but somehow I never end up playing it for very long (due to distractions). Seems fun though. I guess I'll go back and give 'em a try.
Kagetenshi
The expansion was entertaining, but the end was amazingly lame—from a plot perspective, you didn't miss anything.

~J
JonathanC
Has anyone here tried SpaceHack or Alien Shooter: Vengeance?

Both look equally cheesy, but they're also both budget games, and it's kind of hard to screw up "Diablo clone".

The last I remember of Freespace's ending (it's been a while)...I think I assaulted this big Shivan thing. I don't remember much after that.
Kagetenshi
Yep, that's the Freespace ending. That one was good. The expansion's ending you fought a… thing, sorta like the things you've been fighting all the time, and then all of a sudden you realize that was the last mission.

~J
Fix-it
OMG. I just realized. No one mentioned Half-Life and Half-Life 2!

also System Shock, 2, and the new one around the corner.
Kagetenshi
Man, how did I not say this already?

May the best sentience win.

~J
Fix-it
what is that?
Kagetenshi
Marathon, of course! All three Marathons, in fact, plus the updated engine that's been in development since Bungie released the source.

~J
JonathanC
I found a copy of Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for $9.99. Is that any good? I haven't had time to play it yet. frown.gif
Fix-it
It's a strategy game, not a Role-playing game.

it has rpg character development, but no decisions or major story for the most part.

I found it fun.
JonathanC
The PC version is a strategy game. They made a console game for the PS2 and XBOX, and that's what I found at Fry's Electronics for $9.99. I think it's an action rpg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012