Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Debriefing : the Cake Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
treehugger
This is how my game session went mastering the story i submitted a few weaks ago ( http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...tory+submission )

First, the group composition :
- Janus, Dwarven Hermetic/Security expert. His story is quite complicated, but lets say he's from a military background and expert in security procedures, mundane and magical. He has contacts with the Seer's guild.
- Priss, Elven martial adept. Raised in some kind of wierd orphanage in Tir Nan Og, ran by fascist elves in the same vein as Hitlerian Youth, she managed to escape of the totalitarian grip of the Tir Nan Og gov.
- Will, Orcish Sam. Born from a bellevue familly that thrown him in the trash at birth seeing he was an orc, he has lived all his life in the Orc Underground. He's some kind of a celebrity down there, and throws a lot of free parties after each run.
- Doc Trash, human female Coyote shaman. Coyote is free, so is doc trash. She lives in a homeless community in Puyallup, and nothing distingusihes her from the common beggar. She's nuts, but believes coyote wants her to do shadowruns, probably for some greater purpose.
- Yassal, Human neo anarchist decker. Addicted to Dawn of Atlantis (the mmorpg in shadowrun) he's part conspiracy theorist/smart frame programming expert/total geek. He met online some looney with whom he befrieded after endless political debates. His matrix handle is Big D ... (i plan he'll become a Watcher)
- Jessica, Elven Face (social adept). She's an exile from Tir Tairnguire, after being deprived of all her rights when she had some arguments at court. She dont know a lot of people in seatle, yet, but she knows how to get what she wants from everyone.
- Loki, Elven Merc, from the Pomerany duchy. He was fed up of being shot for just a couple bucks working for the german army so he decided to become a merc. Now he's fed up of being shot for just a fistfull of nuyen and decided to become a runner ... he's just lazy and is willing to always do just the minimum to get paid.

The prologue :
I started the session with the Coyote shaman looking in the trash of some rich houses to find a half decent christmas (or awakenning's day) meal, when she heard some people running and a few sound supressed bullets flying.
She hid and watched a group of what appeared to be runners being slaughtered to the last by some special forces of unknown origins (but clearly foreigners as they spoked german, but being uneducated she did not recognise the language).
She noticed after the fire fight that the runners where carrying a small cyldrinc metal case and that their killers destroyed it and where after it.
Once they left her pet coyote ate part of the rest of the cake while looking for some nuyen to be made on the corpses.

Later in the morning the runners recieve a call from their fixer to meet a johnson in a small restaurant's private room.

The johnson explains the run (see the post on the story) indicating the previous runners have been found dead by the lonestar this morning, and that he'll add a bonus if they find some datas on the agressors.

The runners did not noticed they where followed astrally rom the moment they met with johnson (they checked only once and it was in their car.)

They went to Aunt Sweety, and they where quite puzzled to see she was just an old lady that makes cookies and want to have a chat with them, but the shamy saw the guarding elemetal and realised it was way more powerfull she could ever imagine to summon.

They hid in a hideout in the orc underground after some serious negociation with the locals (3 elves and a dwarf wherent quite welcomed ...)

Saeder Krupp spec ops rushed in the hideout engaging with a couple air elementals launched at the merc and the sam.
Then they attacked from two sides with assault troops.
The dwarven mage made 90% of the work here : he had two ssentry guns ambushed to repel on one side, while holding a barrier on the other side.
The physad destroyed the elementals, the orc sam then counterattacked on the weakest side, the elven merc was down in the first round by the elementals.
The shaman battled the corp hermetic overwatching the fight in the astral, but was beaten and went back to her corpse witch was covered by the face.
The decker tried to flee but the fight was over before he could go anywhere (he has 1 IP ...)

Anyway, they managed to repell the attacks but the cake was burnt during the fight by an engulfing fire elemental.

They realised that they where carrying a fruit cake.
On a side note, the merc recognised that the equipment the assault team was carrying was typical of SK's operative (I considered that Lofwyr "wants" in some way to show he's not fooled and will not hesitate to use his full power to stop his two rival dragons).

After this they called the johnson to say the run was failed, he said he'll contact them back after having a chat with his employer.

The players realised they could have been double crossed by the johnson or that HE was the security leak.
Anyway, their fixer call them back to say the run isnt over and that their employer wants them to continue : they need to come at a secure location (a private room in an hotel with white noise generators and astral protection) where they'll have a conference call with their employer.
A feminine voice will explain them they've found out the johnson was exposed and so it explained the security breach.
She (he ) wants them to cook the cake again.
They'll need to find the recepie in the Atlantean foundation vault or at least a good picture of the tablet countaining the reciepe, and a few exotic ingrediants.

The decker had a contact with a developper of Dawn of Atlantis (the mmorpg ran by the atlantean foundation) and managed to get his account details to hack into their system.
He realised the tablet was bought a few weaks ago by Proteus AG a german corp, and got a picture of the tablet (and lost a few brain cell after a fight with a nasty black IC).

They then stole an armadillo (gigantic crocodile) egg in the seatle paranormal zoo by entering as visitors and forcing their way in the hatchery with magic and the face's powers, fleeing with the whole visitors once the alarm went loose.

The last part was cherries from a special Tir tree that is used to make the Laès drug. The face managed to get two invitations in the Tir's consulate for their grand awakening's day party and stole some cherries in the kitchen.
On a side note, the party was costumed, and the phys add lady had a little dance with some freak disguised as an Harlequin ... (and i described him as some sort of Ben Stiler's style of dancing in movies like Zoolander ...)

They managed to cook the cake, and deliver it to the destinator, mister Alan Maze, eating lonely at the space needle.
He clearly showed his disgust for elves in the group, but gave them anyway a nice tip : an orichalcum coin. (they still dont know how to share the tip ...)

The run was over, they got paid and nothing was heard ... yet ... from SK operatives. (i made a solo game for the orc, doing a special run for someone special, i'll describe it as we both enjoyed a lot the game and it could be of some sort of use for other people).

On a side note the Orc kept the rest of the Armadillo egg, and made an egg party with a bunch of orcs and trolls to make the egg disapear by having them eat the egg.
Was quite a fun roleplaying moment, as i decided the egg was extremly spicy and that people made contests of whom would eat the most at once.
He made other "Mouillette" parties later ^^ (so a "mouillette" is in french a thin piece of bread covered with butter that you dive into a 2 minute cooked egg. It also means "wet" but more in a sense of wet pants. This is the new nickname of the Orc character cool.gif )
knasser
QUOTE (treehugger @ Apr 23 2007, 01:36 PM)

On a side note, the party was costumed, and the phys add lady had a little dance with some freak disguised as an Harlequin ... (and i described him as some sort of Ben Stiler's style of dancing in movies like Zoolander ...)

Heh! I love these little cameos. biggrin.gif

I almost missed this thread. Glad I didn't. Sounds like it was a good run. You should give a bit more character detail - I bet the look on their faces when they discovered the package was a fruit cake was pretty good? wink.gif

-K.
treehugger
I bet the look on their faces when they discovered the package was a fruit cake was pretty good?

Aye, they really did not understood what the hell was happening.
Half the group wanted to quit the job, but the street sam was pissed off and told them they cannot quit, else their reputation will go down, and could even have a wetwork job going on their heads (and he told me he'd be glad to do it ^^)

You're asking more character detail. I'm sorry i'm not sure to understand :-/
Do you mean more information on each of the character's background ? (i mean player characters) or do you mean more details on each step of the run and how the players succeeded ?
knasser
QUOTE (treehugger)
You're asking more character detail. I'm sorry i'm not sure to understand :-/
Do you mean more information on each of the character's background ? (i mean player characters) or do you mean more details on each step of the run and how the players succeeded ?

I meant a bit more information on the player's reactions. It adds a lot to a story to describe the player's reactions as well as their actions. Like half the party wanting to walk out the door when they first see they've been guarding a fruit cake. That's amusing and it makes the story more of a story.
treehugger
Ok smile.gif
So first, when they met with Aunt Sweety, the Decker and the Coyote shaman both tried to stay as much as possible to enjoy the cookies and the natural milk she offered them.
They had a small argument, the other players considering they werent
proffesional and had to focus more on the run.

The shamy told them at that point there was a huge elemental overwatching the place and that she befriended them, so they should learn to behave and be more courteous with her if they did not w<ant the elemental to be pissed off ^^ (The shaman player, my sister irl, loves to keep informations for herself and throw it back to others at the best/worst moment ... some players are pissed off by that attitude, but i told her it was not a problem since this is a perfect way of playing a Coyote shaman in my opinion)

When they realised they where risking their life for just a cake, most wanted to quit the job.
The orc, is a "true" street sam : he lives by the "bushido" and considers when he agrees for a mission, he'll stay to the end or his own end.
The dwarven mage/security expert and the elven merc (they both knew each other from their years in the merc buisness) wanted to quit considering they had been double crossed by the johnson and did not have all the information.
The decker knew he was doing a favor to his friend "Big D' " (but he has not a clue of whom he is) and didnt mind it was a cake or a nuclear weapon.
The shaman wanted to understand, and as she's interested in every mystery she was up for a follow up.
The face didnt care (the player is a bit of the "follower" type).
The phys add needs cash, a lot of it, so she's willing to do anything for it.

When they talked directly with their employer (but had no image and it was a morphed voice of Nadia Daviar) they noticed it was a cover since at some point in the conversation i used the male gender instead of female (in french, even at the first person some verbs will be of a masculine or feminine form. So i made a mistake and i told the players it wasnt a mistake ...) so they know their employer is male.
The employer agreed in giving them a bonus to continue the run (he had no one in hand) but the dwarf (he's the leader in some way) did not want to, but was convinced by the others to agree.
(As a side note, i told him he had a message from his friends at the seer's guild before the run, telling him that in the days ahead, he'll meet with fate for bad or good.)

I'll give a follow up later, need to work and earn my salary ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012