Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GenCon & Origins 2007 GM Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
the_dunner
GenCon's just posted their event schedule. I've posted the Shadowrun Missions Events over in the Missions Forum. However, there are quite a few other Shadowrun Events, in addition to Missions (and quite a few at Origins as well).

If you're interested in attending either con for free, getting some free product, and getting a discounted hotel room in exchange for running some Shadowrun, please drop me a PM. We're still looking for a few more GMs for Origins (7/5-7/8 ) and for GenCon Indy (8/16-8/19).
the_dunner
We added one more event to the GenCon schedule at the last Minute.

If you're a Shadowrun GM or you'd like to become one you might want to spend Thursday night at:

SEM00145 Shadowrun GM Boot Camp Here's your chance to learn how to run Shadowrun through the craziest conditions possible. New players, drunk players, belligerent players, rules lawyers… Veteran con GMs will be on hand to show you how to deal with every type of problem imaginable. If you can GM like this, you can GM anywhere. Prizes awarded.
fistandantilus4.0
The Boot Camp sounds awesome. Do they have a course for GMing drunk as well? 'Cause the last time we were all drunk and had a game, well, everyone died. frown.gif
the_dunner
We ran the boot camp as a warm up event for a lot of our GMs last year on Wednesday night. Everybody had a good time with it, and there was a consensus that we should open it up to the public this year. smile.gif

Sadly, due to convention insurance restrictions, we can't have drunk GMs at the event. frown.gif
Eleazar
I didn't see Boot Camp in the seminars, I will have to take a look at that. Will you be having it anymore times than just Thursday night. Also, anyone here signed up to be a GM at Shadowrun. I am doing some Fanpro hosted SR4 games.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Eleazar)
I didn't see Boot Camp in the seminars, I will have to take a look at that. Will you be having it anymore times than just Thursday night. Also, anyone here signed up to be a GM at Shadowrun. I am doing some Fanpro hosted SR4 games.

Boot Camp was added late, which may be why you missed it. We wanted to add it as an RPG session (folks will be playing), but GenCon insisted we list it as a Seminar.

It's only going to be Thursday night. (It requires a fair bit of manpower that we'll need to run the Tourney on Friday & Saturday nights.)

There are a number of GMs who are active on dumpshock. I'm one of 'em, I'll let anybody else who wants to admit to it confess on their own. wink.gif
Eleazar
Alright, I really want to go to that boot camp. I really really appreciate you guys running this event even if it was added late. Thank you, I really hope I can find an opening for Thursday. I will have to check when I get home; I do not have my registered events with me at the moment. They were purchased on a friends account.
Redjack
I signed up for it last night. Looking forward to meeting Dumpshockers there myself.
fistandantilus4.0
Myself, I'm a bit annoyed that any good Convention, I'd have to drive a few thousand miles for. Or shell out money I don't have for flying. Now a Con in the Bay Area, that I could go for.

QUOTE (dunner)
we can't have drunk GMs at the event. 

So I should be a player then? wink.gif
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (the_dunner)

Sadly, due to convention insurance restrictions, we can't have drunk GMs at the event.  frown.gif

I'll leave off all commentary at this point, and keep away from your GMs this year grinbig.gif
the_dunner
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

We'd love to have you there, fisty. smile.gif
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
I'll leave off all commentary at this point, and keep away from your GMs this year

We can't be drunk AT THE EVENT. It is the last event of the evening for most of us. We'll be drunk very shortly therafter. nyahnyah.gif
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

We'd love to have you there, fisty. smile.gif

Would if we could. My wife really wants to go, but it's just way too damn far to drive, and too expensive to fly. I think we are going to shoot for next year though. It would be great to meet everyone in the flesh too. Besides, I promised Bull I'd buy him a drink a while back.
BishopMcQ
I will confess to my sins, I'm signed up to run something...in the coming months, TPTB may even tell me what that is...

smile.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (the_dunner)
We ran the boot camp as a warm up event for a lot of our GMs last year on Wednesday night. Everybody had a good time with it, and there was a consensus that we should open it up to the public this year. smile.gif

Sadly, due to convention insurance restrictions, we can't have drunk GMs at the event. frown.gif

There are a number of GMs who are active on dumpshock. I'm one of 'em, I'll let anybody else who wants to admit to it confess on their own. wink.gif

I attended last years boot camp, mainly because I had never played or GMed SR4 and had volunteered to do so at the convention. To me, it was more entertainment than education, so I agree it should probably be listed as a game rather than a seminar. (Although, I guess, there are seminars that are quite entertaining.)

I had fun at the boot camp and agreed it should be offered this year. You probably won't come away feeling like you've just played a session of Shadowrun, more likely like you just participated in a session of Knights of the Dinner Table.

With that caveat, I think I would have been better served reviewing the rulebook, but was reassured that with a little BS and humor, everyone would have a good time at the games I ran. (Or just as much fun as if I knew the "new" rules forward and backwards.)

My most memorable recollections from last years con were meeting people. I ran into the guy that introduced me to SR1 the year it came out, I GMed for a guy that seemed familiar and found out he had been in a SR group I hosted a decade ago before moving out of state, and after GMing the same group one of the players finally introduced himself after saying he couldn't believe it when he sat down and saw the heretic was going to be his GM. I wound up up all night talking with him. And of course, meeting all the Dumpshockers that were running games. Oh, and putting a face to Critias.

Remembering the good times, I think I am going to have to make an effort to attend again this year, maybe I'll try making Origins, too. smile.gif
the_dunner
QUOTE (BishopMcQ)
in the coming months, TPTB may even tell me what that is...

Just assume you're running everything. If last year was any indication, you probably will. nyahnyah.gif
QUOTE (tisoz)
Remembering the good times, I think I am going to have to make an effort to attend again this year, maybe I'll try making Origins, too.

It'd be great to see you again this year, tisoz.
the_dunner
Just wanted to mention that a post for this has just gone up on srrpg.com. I still really need 3 more GMs for Origins in Columbus. If you know of a good SR GM anywhere within a couple of hours of Columbus, please let him know about the opportunity. cool.gif
the_dunner
We're now covered on Origins GMs, but we could definitely use a few more folks for GenCon Indy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012