Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spore by Will Wright/MAXIS
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
ShieldT
Heard about the PC game called Spore? It should be coming out this Winter.

Here's one of the most in-depth articles (from 2005) and its companion movie.

I've chosen that article/movie because it builds up and up and up, without letting you know how far it's gonna go or how deep the game is going to get...

Which is probably the best way to be introduced to the game wink.gif

Let me put it this way. You start out as a hungry single-celled feeding off its environment, kind of like PacMan. As you eat, you get to upgrade your creature with different parts and you increase in size. Eventually you become a swimming creature and then move onto land, where every place is populated with animals, predator and prey. Your guy is made of modeled clay/snap on parts that change its behavior and locomotion, chosen and colored by you. Once you increase its brain size enough, it discovers fire and forms a tribe, allowing you to access the building editor and the vehicle editor (think Play-Doh on steroids) and then the scope of the game just gets bigger and bigger and bigger cyber.gif

The official site is here: http://www.spore.com
And the unofficial site is here: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/ http://totalspore.com/
Ravor
That is alot for any one game to live up to.
cristomeyers
If anyone can do it, it's Will Wright.

From everything I've seen, this could be one of the greatest, most expansive games to date. Building from one celled organism to space-faring race and beyond...the possibilities are incredible.
Moon-Hawk
I can see myself playing that game for hours and hours and hours and not getting past the creature building.
Build it....see how it walks.
Build it....see how it eats.
Build it....see how it swims.
Build it....etc.
eidolon
That's the trouble I see with me and this game. I rarely have time to run around hacking up some monsters these days. While this game really interests me, I just don't see putting that kind of time into a video game.

I may still buy it, if only to build critters over and over. smile.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (eidolon)
I may still buy it, if only to build critters over and over. smile.gif

Hey, as long as you're having fun you can't be playing it wrong, right? wink.gif
Lindt
Thankfully the community at large has been very kind, with a lot of "No problem on the delays Will, we can wait 'Till its Done".
I have been keeping tabs on this since E3 last year.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (cristomeyers)
If anyone can do it, it's Will Wright.

From everything I've seen, this could be one of the greatest, most expansive games to date. Building from one celled organism to space-faring race and beyond...the possibilities are incredible.

Do you remember SimLife?

~J
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ May 12 2007, 11:20 AM)
Do you remember SimLife?

~J

Yes. This is basically the same concept of SimLife, but I think it's going to be better this time around.
I like the idea of focusing on a single species, rather than SimLife's approach of, "Aw, my dudes all died off... wait, the Trichordates are inheriting the planet!? WTF!?"
SimLife was on the right track towards being a really cool model for an evolving planet. Spore, OTOH, will hopefully be a more fun game, rather than working towards being a better evolutionary model.

edit: Wait, am I confusing SimLife and SimEarth? I've played both games, but now I'm all confused. I'm thinking of SimEarth, I think.
SimLife was similar, though. More tinkering with the genetics of each creature, IIRC. Oops.
Mongoose
Combines cad with sim with emergent behavior. 3 of my fave things. Bitchin. But I think I'll need a new computer...
ShieldT
Mongoose - Can ya run Sims 2? They're gearing it for those system requirements, nothing too high end. Which might save you some $$$ biggrin.gif
Mongoose
I probably could run sims2, yeah. Though I really need to re-install win98 (or something better) and get a new HD. Mine has bad sectors, and findfast goes into a noisy ass loop every time it runs. Plus I need more ram - 128mb sucks. Oh, and a cd player that actually works, so I can install software that comes on CDs, instead of down my cable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012