Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Deus Ex Liberty Island headshot challenge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
In my mind, Deus Ex is the best game ever made. After many years of play and dozens upon dozens of playthroughs I can still fire it up and feel soothed and drawn into the beautiful atmosphere and engaging gameplay once again.

However, one problem that occurs is that after you play Deus Ex for, say, 30 times the regular game starts to become very easy. You know exactly where all the bad guys are and you know exactly how to defeat them. This leads to playing the game in particular weird ways to preserve fun and challenge.

I've worked out a little Deus Ex mini activity that I enjoy a lot which I call the "Liberty Island Headshot Challenge".

++Liberty Island Headshot Challenge++
1.) Ask Paul Denton for a sniper rifle. In the interests of role playing display your best rictus homicidal grin to the computer screen when he tells you that your targets will be human beings.
2.) Do not engage any of the enemies who are outdoors with the exception of the NSF who are carrying sniper rifles who you may stealth eliminate for ammo. Instead, sneak past them.
3.) Gather as much .30-06 cartridges as you can. They can be found in the little dark hut in front of the main statue doors, on some of the NSF, in an ammo crate on the docks, and they may also be purchased from the Drifter Woman who is with Harvey Filben. I have not succeeded in talking to Filben and getting to the Drifter Woman without engaging the enemy on the docks, though, because they tend to see you while you stand there talking to him so that might be effectively off limits as an ammo source.
4.) Stealth your way to the top of the tower. It doesn't matter whether or not you kill the enemies who are inside the statue but you don't want to have NSF from the outside come running in.
5.) When you climb up in the statue you will find a NSF with a Southern accent discussing JoJo Fine. Climb up one more flight of stairs and you'll find 2 more NSF chatting. On this level you will be able walk out onto a veranda that has flares and a disposable plasma pistol. On this veranda you will be able to jump up on the veranda ledge and crouchwalk around the entire statue if you crawl carefully; you can manage a 360 degree circuit.
6.) Using your sniper rifle get perfect headshots on all the NSF you can see down on the ground. Of course, you must aim for the ones farthest away first instead of easily headshotting the closest ones. It's even possible, with good hand eye coordination, to headshot out the patrolling NSF member on the dock while he is in motion! (Although the Mercenary Thug on the dock seems to be out of range; for reference I always have Trained rifles when I do this.) How close can you get to perfect headshots each time? How many headshots can you score versus your total starting amount of cartridges? That is the challenge.

In order to know whether or not you scored a headshot you should apply the Deus Ex shifter mod. It will give you with a little reward text each time you got a headshot. Here is Shifter: http://files.moddb.com/6264/download-shift...er-version-172/
FriendoftheDork
Unfortunately I don't think making up playing styles to make the game harder necessarily makes it more fun. I played DX recently again and tried to do the "no killing" style (for the 3rd time) and when I got to Hell's Kitchen I realized this wasn't really fun. My trigger finger was itching, and I really wanted to grap an asault rifle, mod it until it could fire all 30 rounds into the same bullet hole in the wall (yeah right!), and then go NSF-hunting.

So I started doing whatever I felt like and the game became fun again until I reached hells kitchen 2 and Paul's problem.

This is probably my least favourite map as I never really bought into the so-called "proof" he has against unatco.

Although WS comment as you send the signal is great, as are possibly all his comments biggrin.gif

Hmmm, why is I prefer to use the WS voice for most of my Mr. Johnsons? Either that or Agen't Smith....

Oh BTW I've tried the Zodiac mode but I'm not too happy with it as the maps are very large and extremely empty. Music's cool though.
Oh and I'm stuck anyone help me? I have blown up the radar thing, sent the signal at the Mission Impossible computer... but I can't find my way to the MJ12 area...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
Unfortunately I don't think making up playing styles to make the game harder necessarily makes it more fun. I played DX recently again and tried to do the "no killing" style (for the 3rd time) and when I got to Hell's Kitchen I realized this wasn't really fun. My trigger finger was itching, and I really wanted to grap an asault rifle, mod it until it could fire all 30 rounds into the same bullet hole in the wall (yeah right!), and then go NSF-hunting.

So I started doing whatever I felt like and the game became fun again until I reached hells kitchen 2 and Paul's problem.

This is probably my least favourite map as I never really bought into the so-called "proof" he has against unatco.

Although WS comment as you send the signal is great, as are possibly all his comments biggrin.gif

Hmmm, why is I prefer to use the WS voice for most of my Mr. Johnsons? Either that or Agen't Smith....

Oh BTW I've tried the Zodiac mode but I'm not too happy with it as the maps are very large and extremely empty. Music's cool though.
Oh and I'm stuck anyone help me? I have blown up the radar thing, sent the signal at the Mission Impossible computer... but I can't find my way to the MJ12 area...

Well, the headshot challenge is less about cultivating a particular playing style for the game as a whole and is more of an academic exercise, really. There's no other part of the game which lets you snipe so many targets and in-character, unless JC is irrationally vicious, there's no reason for you to kill all the NSF after you've managed to sneak past them all.

I do agree with you about Paul's "proof". I felt that was the weakest part of the game's storyline and a real cop-out by the game designers. There's a datacube that basically says, "UNATCO is corrupt, my proof is 'attached', therefore you must now kill UNATCO agents.". That isn't very convincing and it's not clear that even if UNATCO takes payoffs that the logical thing to do, if you want to make the world a better place, is to side with the terrorists.

That's like if you found evidence that the governor's office in Texas took campaign contributions from a few unsavory characters deciding that the only moral thing to do would be to start killing cops for the Republic of Texas fringe group.

It's not like the NSF is some kind of juggernaut for humanism and progress, either. They seem to have plenty of planning when it comes to stealing ambrosia and taking hostages but there's never anything you find in the game that suggests that they have any sort of constructive plan whatsoever for rebuilding society. They'd probably be worse administrators for everyone than Walton Simons, etc. because they're less organized.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012