Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell Selections
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
HappyDaze
I've got a few spellcasters that are overwhelmed by the sheer number of spells compared to the limited number that a character can take. I 'm hoping that I can get a few quick spell lists along with the themes and reasoning behind the selections. I'm not looking for uber combinations, just varied and effective ones. Any help is appreciated.
kzt
Heal, stunbolt, lightning bolt, detox, improved invisibility, physical mask, magic fingers, orgasm, sound barrier, sterilize.

This is mix from the last two mages I did.

It's a combination of infiltration and combat spells, plus a few for "better living through magic!". Stunbolt because unconscious opponents are as good as dead if you want to kill them later and are not dead if you don't, lighting gives you a change to deal with drones or similar, Invis, sterilize, mask are infiltration, heal for obvious, sound barrier so people can't hear your target scream when you beat them unconscious (and otherwise occasionally useful - he was kind of antisocial), magic fingers for assorted cleverness (holding the satchel charge suspended in midair while they slammed the armored door shut), detox to help after the nights where you used orgasm.
Redjack
Increased Reflexes: Doubles, Triples or quadruples the number of actions a mage can have.
Heal: Permanent, quick healing
Levitate: Spell caster can move himself or advanced team mates over obstacles, avoid pressure plates, fences and the like.
Physical Mask: Protect your identity, need I say more? And this one affects cameras and recordings...
Stun Bolt: Low drain, high effect, selective combat spell.Most bang for the buck of all combat spells. Stun spells also keep the crime at assault instead of murder.
Mind Probe: If you're not adverse to mind raping someone, this is the quickest way to get information.

The previous spells are on the mandatory list. The following spells are highly recommended to round it out.

Improved Invisibility: Even better than hiding your identity is hiding your presence. Just remember that this only affect cameras and not a variety of other sensors. Not perfect, but a great way to avoid the cameras, security guards, etc.
Mana Window, Extended: Nothing like being able to see through walls. Extended range gives you crazy distances for this remote probing. Clairvoyance that can go through barriers..
Magic Fingers: Another great spell for moving things around. Unlike levitate, this spell allows you to manipulated dials, buttons, keyboards, door knobs, door handles, etc.. Pull the trigger on a gun...
Fashion: Need to change your clothes without sustaining a mask spell? Change clothes as the scene unexpectedly change.
Buster
All the suggestions so far are outstanding, so I'll just expand on Physical Mask:

I run Physical Mask 24/7 with a sustaining focus. I never let my clients see my real face or hear my real voice...or smell my real smell for that matter...Physical mask is great versus pheromone detectors while you're running Imp.Invisibility+Stealth. Also, if you've seen Smoking Aces, you know that the changeling is the first one to get to the target. I'm ur henchman and I'm in ur house!
Cain
I'd replace Stunbolt and lightning bolt with stunball and ball lightning, respectively. You can use guns for single-target effects. Only magic offers you area-of-effect. The extra drain is generally worth it.
Aaron
Don't forget the utility and versatility of Levitate.
toturi
QUOTE (Cain)
I'd replace Stunbolt and lightning bolt with stunball and ball lightning, respectively. You can use guns for single-target effects. Only magic offers you area-of-effect. The extra drain is generally worth it.

I'd say Stunball instead of Stunbolt, but only if you already have manabolt. Manabolt deals physical damage, which is good against novice mages(or mages without high Spell Defense). Stunball drops people with low Will. Lightning Bolt vs Lightning Ball is a toss up IMO, it really depends on what you are using the Bolt or Ball for. If you are dueling another mage or simply going against a single high OR target, I'd go for the Lightning Bolt. If you need the AOE, then Ball, but really a launched grenade in the proper place should do as well.
Buster
If I had to pick only one offensive spell, it would be Powerbolt. In addtion to working on living targets, it's the lowest drain way of taking down drones, vehicles, and stubborn walls. And with a range of LOS, it beats a sniper rifle.

If I picked a second offensive spell, it would be either Control Thoughts or Influence, depending on GM houserules. If Influence was simply a one-command Control Thoughts spell, then I would pick that because the drain is lower. "Sacrifice yourself to me!" worked for Shiwan Khan in The Shadow and it works for me when taking out weak willed opponents. Plus Influence/Control Thoughts has a host of incredibly useful non-combat uses. "These aren't the droids you're looking for" and "I've already paid this bill" are classics.
Sterling
I'd have to say my favorite spell is Trid Phantasm. It's one of the handiest spells I've ever used, as it can easily save your hoop when used in the right way. Lone Star on your hoop? Can't quite shake them? Duck into an alley... and remove the alley. They'll (or drive) right by you, never noticing (well, unless they roll well) your alley.

In fact, there's probably no spell that can do more things (move the bridge four meters to the left) or help in any situation (look, there you went down that alley, when you were really peeking out of the dumpster), or confuse your opponent (wow, you resisted his attack completely, but he sees you as bloodied and full of holes... and still moving!!) or completely distract your opponents (ohfragohfragohfrag, a DRAGON!!) than trid phantasm.

The rest are pretty static. Powerbolt (or ball) and/or stunbolt (or ball) are tried and true. Analyze truth, clairvoyance/clairaudience and combat sense or detect enemies can be incredibly useful. Antidote, heal, and stabilize are literally lifesavers. And of course, casting 'turn to goo' and pulling the cyberwear out of the puddle that used to be your enemy to sell for beer and rent money... as well as creating a very entertaining thread and headache for many GMs.
Crusher Bob
The biggest utility spells are those whose effects you can't duplicate without magic. So, for example, the combat spells aren't the top of the heap because guns are just as good or better at killing people.

So, what effects can't you do normally?

Heal is probably the biggest in that it provides near instant healing of wounds, allowing you to keep fighting, getting rid of wound penalties, and preventing costly hospital stays.

After that it's the information gathering spells. Mind probe and influence are the typical favorites. But Clairvoyance and detect enemies get some screen time too.

Next are the general utility spells: levitate, magic fingers, physical mask, improved invisibility, fashion.

Only last on the list are the combat spells and that's because after you've sunk all your points into magic, it's usually easier to kills stuff with magic than to learn the additional ability to shoot people right in the face. Even then, your combat spells should concentrate first on taking out magical threats that can't be engaged with normal weapons. Stun bolt is a favorite because it can still hit spirits, astral projecting mages, and so on but has lower drain. Most of the flashy spells like lightning ball quite often cause more drain than they are worth.
HappyDaze
Wow. That's a great response so far, and a whole lot of spells suggested!

How about the following spells: Stabilize (if you already have Heal), Makeover (if you already have Fashion), Fix, and the assorted Barriers? Are these spells worth it? What about the Detect Enemies or Thought Recognition? Alter Memory?

Also, if you have Influence, could you just gove the command "Tell me everything you know about X." and drop Mind Probe? It should get you some of the same info at the expense of finesse.

Please keep them coming.
Jaid
imo, your magician should ideally already have first aid, so i don't know that i'd bother with stabilize.

fix, if you have a lot of drones or if you are a summoning tradition, could both come in very handy, imo.

the barriers, i'm not so sure about. it's a really neat idea, but the barrier rating is equal to your hits, and that's it. otherwise, this would be a lot more interesting...

i'd probably drop mind probe and go with influence instead, as you suggested. influence does more stuff anyways smile.gif

i personally would add in mana static as well, for the record, if you have street magic. it's a very effective way to do unpleasant things to the awakened nyahnyah.gif
Buster
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Jun 10 2007, 08:28 AM)
Also, if you have Influence, could you just gove the command "Tell me everything you know about X." and drop Mind Probe?  It should get you some of the same info at the expense of finesse.

To me, Influence beats the hell out of Mind Probe because, in addition to a thousand other great uses, the target thinks it was his own idea to tell you. This is great for keeping down the blowback on your inquisition and it's fantastic for blackmail too: "You don't want Mr. Johnson to learn you just told me that do you?".

Since Mind Probe says that the target knows someone is rattling around in his brain, in my opinion Influence is actually a more subtle spell. The main upside to Mind Probe is that it's silent and there's no way for the target to know exactly was probing them, but you don't want start a probe on a henchman and have him start screaming for the mageguard. If you use Mindlink and Alter Memory on the guy while using Influence, your interrogation is silent and completely stealthy too.

Attack pattern:
1) Influence "<whisper>allow me into your mind (for mindlink)</whisper>",
2) Mindlink ,
3) Influence "<mentally>Mentally tell me everything about X</mentally>".
4) The target replies mentally.
5) Alter Memory erase the whole conversation from the target's memory.

Any outside observers would only see you whisper to the target and the target standing there for a few moments while you walked about pretending to do something while listening to the target's mental confession. This could all be done while invisible, so outside observers may not see anything unusual at all.
hyzmarca
Do not underestimate the usefulness of Control Pack.

"Kill my Army Ants! Kiillll!!!!"

For the most part, every spell is useful in its own way. Limited spells are less useful than general spells but they have less drain, which makes it easier to cast them multiple times. For the most part, you'll want general spells.

Actual spell selection is going to depend very much on character concept.

And Lightning Bolt is better against drones than Power Bolt is unless you're starting as a multi-grade initiate.
Buster
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
And Lightning Bolt is better against drones than Power Bolt is unless you're starting as a multi-grade initiate.

Why?
hyzmarca
Because you can't reliably get 4 hits with a dicepool less than 12. I'll amend that statement to include "or own a power focus".
WearzManySkins
Hmm magic rating 6 spellcasting rating 6(8 if specialized) is 12 or 14 dice, add in extras like mentor dice, then stack in the foci.....works for me.

What seems to be the issue?

WMS
odinson
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Because you can't reliably get 4 hits with a dicepool less than 12. I'll amend that statement to include "or own a power focus".

The players in my games would beg to disagree. I roll in front of them and when I roll less than 50% hits they think somethings wrong.
hyzmarca
This is statistically improbable. Perhaps you have some improperly weighted or malformed dice.
WearzManySkins
rotfl.gif Statistics!!!

I have had a player roll two dice representing percentile roll, roll a 100, change his dice, he rolls another 100, and chance his dice out again with some of mine, another 100.

I do not worry about statistics any more, players can "talk" to their dice.

When I used to play wargames, some players would not play in a game with me, due I could "talk" the six sided dice into rolling what was needed for the combat results dice roll. And no I was not cheating either.

I have seen players even better than me, in role playing games. So I do not get worked up about it. biggrin.gif
HappyDaze
How about Petrify? It seems like a fairly effective non-lethal save-or-(don't)die option, and a Mass version could be quite useful.
Cain
Makeover (if you already have Fashion)

Oh, gods, the mileage I've gotten out of that combo. Cast both for instant disguise, erase your astral signature, and you've got a magical disguise with absolutely no traces of magic. It's incredible what you can pull off with salon and stage makeup.
lunchbox311
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
rotfl.gif Statistics!!!

I have had a player roll two dice representing percentile roll, roll a 100, change his dice, he rolls another 100, and chance his dice out again with some of mine, another 100.

When I used to play wargames, some players would not play in a game with me, due I could "talk" the six sided dice into rolling what was needed for the combat results dice roll. And no I was not cheating either.

I have seen players even better than me, in role playing games. So I do not get worked up about it. biggrin.gif

Duh... mana levels are rising and magic is on its way back. You may be a mage or adept soon. nyahnyah.gif
biggrin.gif
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (lunchbox311)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jun 10 2007, 06:14 PM)
rotfl.gif Statistics!!!

Duh... mana levels are rising and magic is on its way back. You may be a mage or adept soon. nyahnyah.gif
biggrin.gif

Who says I am not one already? grinbig.gif
lunchbox311
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
QUOTE (lunchbox311 @ Jun 10 2007, 11:39 PM)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jun 10 2007, 06:14 PM)
rotfl.gif Statistics!!!

biggrin.gif

Who says I am not one already? grinbig.gif

Shhh. We have to keep these things secret for now or the riots will start. The mundane just will not understand yet.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (lunchbox311)
Shhh. We have to keep these things secret for now or the riots will start. The mundane just will not understand yet.

So your saying the voices in my head are real? frown.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Demon_Bob)
QUOTE (lunchbox311 @ Jun 10 2007, 10:48 PM)

So your saying the voices in my head are real? frown.gif

That depends on what they're telling you to do.
Athanatos
Lol, not to point at another RPG, but that sounds alot like the Vampire the Masquerade Tremere view of Malkavians. Also when the malkavians basically reply with "I think they're on to us!" or something.

Drizztminster VS Harlequin2!!!! Winner gets exclusive rights to HMHDV!!!!
Big D
Stunbolt-basic combat spell
Powerball-for when you really need to kill stuff dead. Can be replaced by Ball Lightning. Can (when packing illegal heat) be replaced by Fragball, the old drainless wonder
Imp Reflexes (on sustaining focus)-'nuff said
Heal-do you have to ask?
Levitation-I believe I can fly
Combat Sense-best defensive spell once the shooting starts
Physical Mask-one of the best defensive spells *before* the shooting starts (if you have spirits handy, you can probably make do with Concealment over Invisibility)
Influence-mind control without the mess... but slow
Mob Mind-when you need it, you'll need it
Wakshaani
Wow, there's an absolute derth of Detection spells in here.

No big proponent of, say, Analyze Device?
Crusher Bob
Analyze device is not that helpful because if you have forever to look at the device, you can probably scare up an expert to consult (or just do enough google-fu to get teh full +3 AR bonus). If you don't have enough time, then you'd need the related skills to do the job anyway. Getting a few extra dice to disarm the bomb only really helps if you have an idea on how to disarm the bomb to begin with. Most mages can't afford to dump points on a bunch of technical skills that would make analyze device worth the effort.
laughingowl
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Most mages can't afford to dump points on a bunch of technical skills that would make analyze device worth the effort.

True..

but:
Analyze Device (Active, Directional)
Type: P • Range: T • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2)

Range Touch....

Your sammy likely has demolitions.... if HE is about to disarm the bomb under you buttocks.... wouldnt you like if he has a few extra dice.

The bonus doesnt have to go to the 'mage'
toturi
Most of the things that Detection Spells do can often be done by other means.
hyzmarca
Thats why I always check the toilet for bombs before I sit down.

The best detection spell is Detect Enemies, it makes ambushes impossible.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Unless, they are using drones. Or there is a bored hitman waiting for a phone call telling him who to whack. or...

Detect enemies isn't perfect. Threating it like it is is asking for a world of hurt.
laughingowl
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 13 2007, 11:50 AM)

Unless, they are using drones. Or there is a bored hitman waiting for a phone call telling him who to whack. or...

Detect enemies isn't perfect. Threating it like it is is asking for a world of hurt.

OR you have good psychology and or influence skills.

And you program the hitman to belive he is HELPING you..

Johnson: So Mr. X knows he has pissed of Ares to much to be left alive, but wants to die in a way that deprives Ares the joy of seeing him die, and makes a statement. Mr. X. has contacted Ares and arranged a metting to discuss a possible 'consderations' that will allow him to live. He claims to have very important information that could ruin them and wants to talk about trading that for his life. Your job is to lay in wait for the meeting and to kill Mr. X when he meets with the Ares represenative. THe Ares rep is 100% NOT to be harmed. Thw world will figure Ares made the hit and break netural ground folks will be hestiate to trust them. Ares will figure it was somebody else who had the information Mr. X has and they plan on hurting Ares with it. Mr. X dies, but takes a good chunk of Ares with him.

---------------------------------------

The 'hitman' does not have hostile intentions towards you, he belives he is helping you do exactly what you want to do....

Rely on any one defense and become a corpse!
Big D
Oh, there are a number of good detection spells. However, if you have to narrow it down to a short starting list, I'd take the risk and pick them up with karma.
Roadspike
QUOTE (Sterling)
I'd have to say my favorite spell is Trid Phantasm. It's one of the handiest spells I've ever used, as it can easily save your hoop when used in the right way. Lone Star on your hoop? Can't quite shake them? Duck into an alley... and remove the alley. They'll (or drive) right by you, never noticing (well, unless they roll well) your alley. ... move the bridge four meters to the left ... look, there you went down that alley, when you were really peeking out of the dumpster ... wow, you resisted his attack completely, but he sees you as bloodied and full of holes... and still moving!! ... ohfragohfragohfrag, a DRAGON!!

Actually, as I recall, Trid Phantasm requires a willing target. Admittedly, it may have changed (I've been sadly lacking in my study of SR4 spells), but I believe that most of these tricks won't actually work with Trid Phantasm because the viewer has no reason to believe such tricks are real, or want to believe them (except the bullet-holed and blood-spattered Trid Phantasm, but really, in that case, wouldn't you rather just Stunbolt the person shooting at you instead of giving them another chance to shoot at you?).
hyzmarca
Enterainment requires a willing target. Phantasm does not.
Eleazar
1. Stunbolt- nice drain modifier for single target. Once you have knocked him out you can kill him if needed.
2. Stunball- nice drain modifier for multiple targets. Once you have knocked them out you can kill them if needed.
3. Improved Invis- it is nice to be able to disappear or make your covert ops guys disappear
4. Physical Mask- great for disguise
5. Deflection- Most damage you take as a mage in SR is going to be from guns, that and it doesn't glow like armor.
6. Mind Probe 7. Influence 8. Alter Memory- goes without saying
9. Heal- DUH
10. Increased Reflexes- It is impossible to be effective in SR4 without something to boost your IPs, unfortunately.

Runners up: Levitate- use this with an air spirits movement power and you will go really really fast. Physical Barrier- instant cover, only really good for open areas or where adequate cover is not available.
snowRaven
Improved Invisibility, Magic Fingers, Levitate, Increase Reflexes, Physical Mask, Smoke Cloud, Screech, Stunbolt, Control Thoughts, and Heal.
Whipstitch
I don't think Physical Barrier gets enough love. The drain is admittedly nasty, but it can be used to trap/slow enemies, create cover or even make an (admittedly flimsy) impromptu ramp or bridge. Any spell that can be used for offense, defense AND utility should bear some real consideration in a game where you start your career knowing 8-12 spells at best. I've got a Face Mystic Adept who basically has just enough points diverted into spellcasting abilities to cast Makeover, Fashion, and Physical Barrier.
Noctum
Currently playing a Mage, with Mentor Spirit - Wise Warrior.

So his 10 spells -

1. Death Touch - With the low drain. A mage with a good Unarmed Combat becomes very scary. I throw this one at force 8 all day.

2. Stun Ball - This is the best AOE in the game.. once again with a low drain code.

3. Mind Probe - This is a must have - Need info Just rip it out.

4. Heal - For those special moments when Things go bad.

5. Increased Reflex's - With a Sustaining Focus - makes you a suprise for that Street Sam who thinks he is really cool.

6. Improved Invis. - Useful for those Ambushes.

7. Mass Sight Removal - Makes it harder for the enemy to hit you, spot you or Follow you.

8. Foreboding - Useful for those "Kneel Before Zod" moments.

9. Magic Fingers - Great for dealing with those NPC who carry Grenades. (the look on the GM's face when you pull the pin on the bad guys grenade will make it worth it.

10. Gecko Crawl - hey everyone wants to be Spiderman. Useful for crawling up the sides of buildings while Invisible, or on the ceiling of those High security area's.

Thats the current list. I have a few other Favorites not Mentioned here, Like Shapeshift. great for moving around undetected or ignored. Cats, Rats and birds are normally ignored by security guards.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Noctum)
Gecko Crawl - hey everyone wants to be Spiderman.

I know I do. love.gif
fool
detect enemies
HappyDaze
7. Mass Sight Removal - Makes it harder for the enemy to hit you, spot you or Follow you.

Really? As I read it, it only penalizes Perception tests with the appropriate sense (much like a single sense version of a Spirt's concealment). If they do notice you after the penalties, the spell seems to do nothing at all (no actual visibility modifiers in combat, etc.). This is why our magician opted for Swarm.
Noctum
Mass Sight Removal.. if it causes a Modifier for Visual Perception Tests... Shouldn't it cause a Modifier for Ranged Combat... like the Visibility Mods for Ranged attacks?
djinni
QUOTE (Noctum)
Mass Sight Removal.. if it causes a Modifier for Visual Perception Tests... Shouldn't it cause a Modifier for Ranged Combat... like the Visibility Mods for Ranged attacks?

most of the effects and things in SR4 need common sense, and agreeable players.
if you get a player that says "uh uh! cuz it says right here!" you need to curb that right quick.
HappyDaze
most of the effects and things in SR4 need common sense, and agreeable players.  if you get a player that says "uh uh! cuz it says right here!" you need to curb that right quick.

If deviating from RAW, how would you suggest it works?

What about the other Senses? Sight seems much more significant to most metahumans, so shouldn't it have a higher Drain (or something) to offset the advantages?
Noctum
Other senses have Negatives... For instance :

Hearing is often used to find invisible Mages, and notice infiltration with the Hearing Removal that becomes more difficult. (also causes Sec Guards to Not hear the Orders they have been given)

The point is with each sense removal a mage can cause a Myriad of effects to others, many have Role Playing effects not Dice pool effects but are no less Useful.

Smell and Taste can be great - To hide poisons with a bitter taste in someones drink. or to disguise your B.O. (body Odor) when meeting a Johnson on short notice. smile.gif

They all have uses for those who think outside the box.

A good GM will be flexible and objective about it and decide how well it works.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012