Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [spoiler warning] Project Infinity
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
treehugger
Hi all,
I'm still wondering what project infity is, and i hoped some of you could help me on that matter.
Here is what i "know" :
[ Spoiler ]
Synner
Actually no UniOmni is no longer directly linked with Aztechnology (since Roxy bailed on the Big A) although they do maintain ongoing partnerships on some projects.

As to Project Infinity, well, that would be telling...
fistandantilus4.0
Which book was this mentioned in? SOTA '64?
Moon-Hawk
The name Shadowtech drifts through my brain. Perhaps there?
HMHVV Hunter
It was mentioned in Dunkelzahn's Secrets, sort of:

<<<And let's not forget the infamous Project Infinity...>>>
-The Smiling Bandit

<<<Mr. Bandit, I thought we agreed not to discuss this in public.>>>
-KAM
Cain
Yes, it was Shadowtech. At least initally.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Cain)
Yes, it was Shadowtech. At least initally.

The crap that I remember. ohplease.gif
treehugger
Answers in the spoiler warning :
[ Spoiler ]

Synner
Clarification - The Runner Havens follow up has a different name but it is indeed a continuation of the same project following all the shake ups UniOmni has been through - and yes, the new name is a clue.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 14 2007, 11:52 AM)
Yes, it was Shadowtech.  At least initally.

Thanks. Don't suppose anyone's got apage ref?

NM pg 72:
QUOTE (Shadowtech pg 72)

>>>>>>>>I read a lot. Comes with the territory. I'v read all your papers, too. I must say that I found the Project Infinity proposal very interesting.
   Oh, and Doc , let me be the first to tell you that you don't look nearly old enough to have a daughter that age.<<<<
-The Smiling Bandit <Strikes again/Ha-Ha-Ha>
>>>>>Project Infinity? Mr. Bandit, here's my home address. I think there are a few things we need to discuss, and that it's best done face-to-face<<<
-KAM<20:04:32/12-19-52>

The discussion leading up to this was on gene-engineering, and engineering magical abilities, paranimals, and "super mages". Maybe S.B. went on a tangent, maybe he didn't.

@Synner - I love these little treasure hunts
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Runner Havens pg 123)
<During the op I mentioned before, I ran into another nugget: there's a UO black clinic somewhere in the sprawl working on a Project codenamed Methuselah. From what I could piece together, the Cape facility is just part of a network of facilities spread across Azania, and it's getting significant support from some secret faction within the Zulu Nation. What doesn't add up is that the Rain Queen is the traditional guardian of the Zulu's rivals the Xhosa; yet there's now way this could be active in Cape Town without Mujaji's blessing.
-Stone

Interesting. I did extra digging my self, and all I turned up is that they're tapping into the national gene databanks UO inherited from DeBeers. The gene bank was financed by DeBeers as part of the effort to combat the AIDS and VITAS crises that threatend to decimate the South African labor pool.ti contained more than 29 million genetic profilesback in 2022. SIN registration in Azania includes a biosample to the day. Do the math.
-The Smiling Bandit.

If Roxborough is still around after the crash, he could still be working on a body. but for local tie-ins, you've got IEs and the Heavenherds in the area, and the Heavenherds are supposed to know cybermancy already. Could be like the Tir and the StopWatch syndrome or whatever. Someone in UO knows there's immortal elves in the area, and is looking to find a copy of one's genetic code to figure out how to reproduce it?

methuselah

So Project Infinity and a code name for the world's oldest man, seems to be a pretty strong hint there. If you're the master of biotech, might as well go after the fountain of youth.
Trigger
This reminds of a novel, of which the name I can't recall at the moment, where there was a genetic project that bred humans together with already naturally long lifespans to create people that could live hundreds to thousands of years....

Makes for an interesting thought to think about giving the life expectancy of elves to the other metatypes.
JongWK
QUOTE (treehugger)
Answers in the spoiler warning :
[ Spoiler ]

The UO Rep was Dr. Kristine A. Martin ("KAM"), one of their top scientists. She and her daughter jumped ship in State of the Art:2064 --where to is a question that should have been answered with SoLA, but Augmentation might have some information to catch up.

KAM and Roxy had a... long-term relationship.
fistandantilus4.0
Ahhh, the SoLA pain is back again. Oh it hurts.
Big D
QUOTE (Shadowtech pg 72)
>>>>>>>>I read a lot. Comes with the territory. I'v read all your papers, too. I must say that I found the Project Infinity proposal very interesting.
  Oh, and Doc , let me be the first to tell you that you don't look nearly old enough to have a daughter that age.<<<<
-The Smiling Bandit <Strikes again/Ha-Ha-Ha>
>>>>>Project Infinity? Mr. Bandit, here's my home address. I think there are a few things we need to discuss, and that it's best done face-to-face<<<
-KAM<20:04:32/12-19-52>

Y'know, I had always just assumed that she was making an offer that was as much personal as business...

Has Bandit shown up in any recent books? It seems like all of the old legends are dying off (or, for the lucky ones, retiring).
Casper
So what is it that project infinity does. Sorry i am away from my books.

Jaid
QUOTE (Casper)
So what is it that project infinity does. Sorry i am away from my books.

so read the thread. as in, the answer is right there. it's practically spelled out for you. in giant, flashing neon letters. twice.
Adarael
May I suggest you look here for one theory?
treehugger
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Someone in UO knows there's immortal elves in the area, and is looking to find a copy of one's genetic code to figure out how to reproduce it?

Fist, your digging is excellent, as i could not access my books yesterday evening.
Here is my follow up in the spoiler flag :
[ Spoiler ]
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Trigger)
This reminds of a novel, of which the name I can't recall at the moment, where there was a genetic project that bred humans together with already naturally long lifespans to create people that could live hundreds to thousands of years....

I'd guess you are talking about Methuselah's Children or one the novels or short stories in the same universe.
FrankTrollman
Azania is not an Elven nation. It is a federation of four nations of which oe (Zulu Azania) is an elven nation. The other three nations are not and some of them are quite human-centric. DeBeers-Universal Omnitech has its fortress in the Human part.

-Frank
treehugger
Where can i find datas on DeBeers and UO ? And on Azania ?
I mean apart from Runner's Heaven ?
Slash_Thompson
I'd probably play this as an immortal human research project. given the way the plot hooks have laid out so far.
Ravor
Yeah, although just imagine the profits to be had by the first corp who managed to invent a working "Mage Serum", even if it did kill a portion of its users ala The 4400.

No reason that the project can't have multiple goals while they are disecting IEs anyways... cyber.gif
WhiskeyMac
Does Project Infinity and Project Methuselah have anything to do with the plot of The Forever Drug? Or is that another plot that ended with Lofwyr?
fistandantilus4.0
Different.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Slash_Thompson)
I'd probably play this as an immortal human research project. given the way the plot hooks have laid out so far.

Or since it's originally KAM at the top, another tie-in to the Immortal Dwarfs plotline.

-Frank
Ancient History
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Slash_Thompson @ Jun 15 2007, 03:36 PM)

Or since it's originally KAM at the top, another tie-in to the Immortal Dwarfs plotline.

-Frank

There is no Immortal Dwarf plotline.
FrankTrollman
nyahnyah.gif

-Frank
Wakshaani
Oh, the Great Dwarf Conspiracy's been posted before.

Oddly, all information about it was expunged from the Shadownet.

Funny that.
FrankTrollman
The Immortal Dwarfs thing has been a point of contention in the past - as the publication of it only appeared in German-only materials. There has been a substantial movement amongst the English writers to ignore that material for a number of aesthetic reasons having to do with Waloon TV.

And of course, now that FanPro is divided across the Atlantic, there is no longer a mandate to reconcile works by the German units with the works of the English unit. Indeed, there is quite probably never going to be a continuity convergeance in which the German-only material gets folded into English continuity. References to immortal dwarfs in mushroom houses not only don't exist in the Catalyst Game Labs continuity, they won't exist in this continuity.

---

But that doesn't mean that it was never a possibility. And for that reason saying "It's a continuation of Immortal Dwarfs plotline" is a harmless and good natured way to piss Ancient History off. It's like saying that something is "in SoLA".

-Frank
HappyDaze
a harmless and good natured way to piss Ancient History off

Well, that's always a good thing. biggrin.gif
Slash_Thompson
It's like saying that something is "in SoLA".

so that's where Lowfyr's exposé about "My life as a metahuman sex-slave" got off to. silly.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
The Immortal Dwarfs thing has been a point of contention in the past - as the publication of it only appeared in German-only materials.

And we're so proud of it. I want to know what the german writers smoked when they wrote the german sourcebooks. ohplease.gif
mfb
hm. i don't speak or read any german at all, but i was aware of the immortal dwarf thing. you sure it didn't sneak into the Germany sb somewhere?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (mfb)
hm. i don't speak or read any german at all, but i was aware of the immortal dwarf thing. you sure it didn't sneak into the Germany sb somewhere?

It just gets talked about on dumpshock from time to time. People who read the English sourcebooks exclusively would not know anything about immortal dwarfs. As Ancient History said, there is no ID plotline.

-Frank
Xenith
For some reason The Forever Drug(if I'm remembering it right) with the Shapeshifter comes to mind. Hmmm.... I thought that Spike Baby lady he was rescuing/tailing was killed....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012