Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Website for calculating Impact Results
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WearzManySkins
Ok here is a website allows one to set up some of the conditions of an object striking the earth from space. It could have some use to some Evil GM's, if they wish to send some runners into an adventure after such an event occurred. Or even more Evil GM's have it happen while the Team is there.

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

Be warned you may spend some time, entering in different parameters. smile.gif

WMS
Jaid
so now we can generate realistic orbital bovine bombardments? 0.o
bibliophile20
Ah, I've spent many a happy hour on that site. It is highly addictive, especially if you're a geology geek (which I am at times).

So, now that you've brought that up, there are three objects that need to be tested:
A Thor shot
An off-course Ares space craft
A cow grinbig.gif (I knew that it was going to come up, just getting it out of the way now)

Now as for the Thor shot...

Distance... well, I'll put down 100 km.

As for size and mass, ideal kinetic bombardment projectiles are made of tungsten, as it has the highest heat capacity and least thermal expansion of any metal, and are about the size of a telephone pole, maybe a bit thicker.

20,000 kg per cubic meters
3 meters diameters (it's assuming a spherical projectile, a Thor shot would be elongated to help it pass through the atmosphere)

15 km/s (low Earth orbit velocity is 8 km/s; figure that they'd do a retrorocket fire to slow the Thor shot so its orbit degrades and then have another rocket help push it on it's way down)

90 degree impact (I think this is fairly obvious why)

And, just for giggles, sedimentary rock, because it's about as dense as concrete.

And we get... 4.25 x 10^12 joules at impact... or a little over ten tons of TNT. A little disappointing, but then, considering what it's used for, that seems to be fairly ideal.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Jaid)

An issue with bovine bombardments, bovine will cook very thoroughly before getting close to ground. Let say not much left by the time is arrives at its target spot. rotfl.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 16 2007, 08:33 PM)

An issue with bovine bombardments, bovine will cook very thoroughly before getting close to ground. Let say not much left by the time is arrives at its target spot. rotfl.gif

well then you just use a lot of cows =P
hobgoblin
hmm, maybe its time to upgrade, to something like a blue whale?
Aaron
Only if it's one of those surprised-looking ones.
yoippari
I was just going to ask what the density of a surprised sperm whale is.
WearzManySkins
Density of said creature, is greater than a box of Twinkies, but not as durable. biggrin.gif
lunchbox311
Then do some orbital juggernaut bombardments. In SR 3 they were some tough nasty armadillo things. Have them be in a ball and fall down to the earth. biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
hmm, when one start moving into paracritter territory, all kinds of ammo starts showing up.
Jaid
lol... so now we need an awakened cow?

what happens if we launch an awakened (dual natured) cow at an astral being? =P

(note: the trickiest part is getting the dual natured critter to survive the trip *up*... down is easy, you just put them in a container that will not burn up before it hits =P )
hobgoblin
or atleast provide it with a drop away heat shield for the reentry part of the trip.
lunchbox311
Well then not as high up. Airplane drops would suffice for paracritter or bovine for that matter. Unless you are trying to take out tanks with them I see no problem with dropping them from 20,000 feet (~6100 meters.)

grinbig.gif
hyzmarca
I don't think this calculator is very accurate when dealing with velocities near the speed of light in a vacuum.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
20,000 kg per cubic meters
3 meters diameters (it's assuming a spherical projectile, a Thor shot would be elongated to help it pass through the atmosphere)

And we get... 4.25 x 10^12 joules at impact... or a little over ten tons of TNT. A little disappointing, but then, considering what it's used for, that seems to be fairly ideal.

I think the shape approximation makes a big difference. Going from sphere to telephone pole is going to make a massive change in trag, thus terminal velocity. And since kinetic energy scales with velocity^2, I would expect a LOT more energy from a properly shaped projectile.
Of course, if you're going for the simpler thor shot method of simply dropping space-crap on people, this approximation is great. smile.gif
Firestorm
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, when one start moving into paracritter territory, all kinds of ammo starts showing up.

I suspect that drop bears have nothing to do with Paracritters, and being drop bears they can probably drop from the Thor launcher without any problem. ( sorry, I never took the time to read that soooooooo long thread grinbig.gif )
On the same subject, I'm not sure they qualify as ammunitions.
Moon-Hawk
Hmmm, an awakened species of cow that is not dual natured and has immunity to heat/fire. I suppose being immune to suffocation would help, too, although a small reentry pod would help with that.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Firestorm)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jun 17 2007, 01:22 PM)

I suspect that drop bears have nothing to do with Paracritters, and being drop bears they can probably drop from the Thor launcher without any problem. ( sorry, I never took the time to read that soooooooo long thread grinbig.gif )
On the same subject, I'm not sure they qualify as ammunitions.

something tells me that they would fit under the biological part of WMD...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Hmmm, an awakened species of cow that is not dual natured and has immunity to heat/fire. I suppose being immune to suffocation would help, too, although a small reentry pod would help with that.

i didnt know the bovine had to be alive. may explain why i was getting non-standard results smokin.gif
Moon-Hawk
Depends, would it's immunity: reentry power still work if it were dead?
Still, I'd be sad if there wasn't a "........mmmmoooooOOOOOOOOOOOSPLAT!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012