Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DiceCast - online character creation beta test
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
farfromhomefish
Briefly:
I've made an online character creation tool using the SR3 ruleset. This is the first part of a suite of tools that I'm making. Please help me by logging on to the website dicecast.net, and creating a character (you can find the link in the forums at the top of the page (near the 'profile' link) once you've created an account). If you see any weird bugs or errors, or you have a suggestion for me to add, post a bug report and I'll follow up on it.

Thanks so much for your help!

In detail:
I'm working on an online suite of RPG tools that will allow GMs to run campaigns over the internet (via a built-in chat system), and allow players to generate characters and audition them for GM campaigns. Most things like dice-rolls, initiative, and damage tracking will be automated or easily accessed (e.g., clicking a button on your character sheet, which will be visible alongside the chat window, would roll damage for one of your weapons).

I've just completed the first part of the suite: the character generator. Because I'm a shadowrun fan:), I used the SR3 base ruleset as an example.

I've tested this character generator using firefox, and I believe it's running just fine, but there may be errors that I've missed, or rendering problems with other browsers.

I'm looking for beta testers to test, hack, and beat up on this character generator, and see if they can break it - or at least make it do unreasonable things. If you're interested, go to dicecast.net.

Once I've fixed the submitted bug reports, I will start work on the GM campaign-creation toolset, and then the chat interface. Hopefully, I should have the entire site done by mid-July, and I'll open the campaign interface to anyone who wants to play.

Again, thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. smile.gif
Platinum
I have a cool little utility that I wrote... it is 95% completed.

It allows a person to upload a map, chars and assign them to people's accounts, so the can click on the map and move them around. Right now I am working on the hidden/visiblity feature that will allow certain chars to view specific other's.

If you want I can send you what I completed so that you can play with it.
farfromhomefish
Platinum, I'd love to see what you've done already if you can demo it for me. How would you like to get in touch?
Trax
Wow, I'd love to bring Platinum's program to my GM. One of our biggest problems is forgetting what the area looks like, or where people are standing, how far away, etc.
Platinum
farfromhomefish message me with your email, and I will dig it out and send it.

I have it using apache, php and mysql. I am not sure how to dump the database ... but it is really straight forward and not complicated. i do have a little cleanup to do.

If you want it trax, I can send it to you as well. What edition are you playing? I have a friend in Ottawa that has been looking for a group.
Trax
I play online on mIRC, I lack the time to be able to join a real life group at this time. frown.gif

My group play's 3rd edition, but our channel has other people playing 4th.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012