Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manhunt 2 banned in Europe!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Wounded Ronin
So, the June issue of Knights of the Dinner Table had a page on "Women In Gaming" (pg. 63). In a pathetic and hopeless effort to figure out how to make females like me, I decided to read some of the web sites which were cited by the article, which in turn lead me to a post on a forum about how Manhunt 2 has apparently been having issues with being banned.

http://www.womengamers.com/forums/viewtopi...der=asc&start=0

in Manhunt 2 you can, Wii remote and nunchuk in hands, use a pair of pliers to clamp onto an enemy's testicles and literally tear them from his body in a bloody display; and if that weren't enough, you'll take one of the poor victim's vertebrae along with his manhood. Or, if you'd prefer, you can use a saw blade and cut upward into a foe's groin and buttocks, motioning forward and backward with the Wii remote as you go."

Holy crap, man! That's awesome! I mean, for years, we had castration in games but the implementation wasn't that detailed. In Soldier of Fortune and Soldier of Fortune II you had special animations for shooting enemies in the groin and SoF1 actually kept track of the number of groin shots that you scored over the course of a level.

I mean, I don't think that in principle there's any abstract difference between gunning for the groin shots in Soldier of Fortune or Fallout (critical called shot to the groin with Power Fist could easily be interpreted as manual ball removal) and what Manhunt 2 lets you do; it's just a question of better implementation. You implement things a little better and social conservatives get all pissy...Europe in particular seems to be so ban-happy when it comes to video games.

And, anyway, au sujet de female gamers, I've just been reading Herrman and Stewart's "Theorizing Feminism: Parallel Trends in the Humanities and Social Sciences" as part of my aforementioned hopeless quest and it has given me the impression that female gamers would love to be able to go around ripping testicles off in a game. It would represent anti-patriarchal and anti-structuralist empowerment.
Kagetenshi
It's been effectively banned in the US—no direct government involvement, just self-censorship galore. The title has, IIRC, been shelved.

That said, I object to them calling it Manhunt 2 when it so clearly and obviously lacks Starkweather.

~J
hyzmarca
You see, I think that plier castration is a little unrealistic. It takes a great deal of force to tear the human scrotom from the body, as well as both spermatic cords. You can't just grab it both cords through the scrotom and yank with any success, at least not if you're human. Certainly a machine could do it (and machines have done it), but not a person. There is also the issue of the victim rolling with the punches so to speak and not letter you apply any tearing force to the region, he's have to be held down somehow. The pressure on the cords might cause blood-flow loss to the testicles, which is a horribly painful way to have one's testicles die and rot inside of the scrotom, but it wouldn't actually be castration. Really, cutting them off with scissors ould have been substantially more realistic.
Moon-Hawk
How do you know that!?
pbangarth
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
You can't just grab it both cords through the scrotom and yank with any success, at least not if you're human.

Hmmm... I remember learning a technique in Kung-Fu years ago to do just that. Never actually tried it though. I guess it was just for show.

The flesh connecting the scrotum to the torso doesn't seem all that strong to me, though. It doesn't seem as if it would be much more difficult than tearing the skin off of a raw chicken breast. I've done that lots of times.
Angelone
QUOTE (pbangarth)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 29 2007, 01:50 PM)
You can't just grab it both cords through the scrotom and yank with any success, at least not if you're human.

Hmmm... I remember learning a technique in Kung-Fu years ago to do just that. Never actually tried it though. I guess it was just for show.

The flesh connecting the scrotum to the torso doesn't seem all that strong to me, though. It doesn't seem as if it would be much more difficult than tearing the skin off of a raw chicken breast. I've done that lots of times.

Monkey steals the peach. frown.gif

I hate myself for knowing that.
hyzmarca
I presume that the chicken breast was dead at the time, and that makes a great deal of difference. Dead skin quickly loses its elasticity.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Angelone)
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jun 29 2007, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 29 2007, 01:50 PM)

Monkey steals the peach. frown.gif

I hate myself for knowing that.

Don't hate yourself. I'd say that it's a pretty common technique taught in most garden variety CMA classes, not to mention something referenced by Radford Davis, aka Ashida Kim, in his books which are often found at Barnes & Nobles and Borders in the martial arts section. In other words, I'd say it's semi common knowledge. Monkey steals peach was a running joke with my friends back in college.

Besides, isn't "monkey steals peach" supposed to be the quintessential sterotypical female-associated CMA technique? If we don't sufficiently reinforce sterotypes the world will suddenly burst into flame.
Kagetenshi
Illustrated example, by Ashida Kim. The man is truly a giant of our time.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Illustrated example, by Ashida Kim. The man is truly a giant of our time.

~J

I strongly recommend that everyone goes and reads the "declassified" reports AK puts on his website (www.ashidakim.com). They're extremely entertaining. Every time he travels to another country he copies and pastes the history from an encyclopedia or something so it's incredibly long and then finally at the end describes what he does. The "declassified" reports are supposed to be narratives, though, so the idea of a skinny Floridian standing around and narrating out a whole encyclopedia history article is laughable.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
You see, I think that plier castration is a little unrealistic. It takes a great deal of force to tear the human scrotom from the body, as well as both spermatic cords. You can't just grab it both cords through the scrotom and yank with any success, at least not if you're human. Certainly a machine could do it (and machines have done it), but not a person. There is also the issue of the victim rolling with the punches so to speak and not letter you apply any tearing force to the region, he's have to be held down somehow. The pressure on the cords might cause blood-flow loss to the testicles, which is a horribly painful way to have one's testicles die and rot inside of the scrotom, but it wouldn't actually be castration. Really, cutting them off with scissors ould have been substantially more realistic.

I'm sorry that the duty falls upon me to inform you that you are mistaken.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56049

Woman jailed for testicle attack

A woman who ripped off her ex-boyfriend's testicle with her bare hands has been sent to prison. Amanda Monti, 24, flew into a rage when Geoffrey Jones, 37, rejected her advances at the end of a house party, Liverpool Crown Court heard.
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying: "That's yours."
Monti admitted wounding and was jailed for two-and-a-half years.
'Pulled hard'
Sentencing Monti, Judge Charles James said it was "a very serious injury" and that Monti was not acting in self defence.
The court heard that Mr Jones had ended his long-term but "open relationship" with Monti towards the end of May last year.
The pair remained on good terms and on 30 May she picked him up from a party in Crosby and went back for drinks with friends at Mr Jones's house.
An argument ensued and Mr Jones said there was a struggle between them.
In his statement, Mr Jones said she grabbed his genitals and "pulled hard".

He added: "That caused my underpants to come off and I found I was completely naked and in excruciating pain."
The court heard that a friend saw Monti put Mr Jones's testicle into her mouth and try to swallow it.
She choked and spat it back into her hand before the friend grabbed it and gave it back to Mr Jones. Doctors were unable to re-attach the organ.
In a letter to the court, Monti said she was sorry for what she had done.
She said: "It was never my intention to cause harm to Geoff and the fact that I have caused him injury will live with me forever. I am in no way a violent person."
The letter added: "I have challenged myself to explain what has happened but still I just cannot remember. This has caused much anguish to me and will do for the rest of my life."

Har har, not a violent person.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012