Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Self expression Sota
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
mfb
QUOTE (DuckEggBlue Omega)
I wasn't saying metahumans are different species, I was only pointing out that the idea that interbreeding = same species, is false. The 'science' people are presenting is wrong.

fair 'nuff. i was mainly aiming my response at DLN and Snow Fox, to be honest.

re: reverse discrimination, Kage skewed his facts. yes, there are more disadvantaged humans than disadvantaged orks--because there are more humans than orks. the percentage of the ork population who are disadvantaged is much, much higher than the percentage of humans who are disadvantaged.

and as far as human-oriented assistance programs, i'm pretty sure Kage's smoking crack. there are any number of grants, scholarships, basic skill programs, job-search networks, and the like funded by Humanis.
Daddy's Little Ninja
And that shows the arrogance of the changed ones who listen to their demagogic leadership who equates brute strength with ability.

Metas may have come from humans, but that does not mean they are humans now. Humans came from apes and we are not apes now. Again I will say that the unfortunate changed ones do have a place in society but they get into trouble when some well meaning left leaning academic tries to give them ideas of living in a way they cannot handle and which the media dupes them into thinking is the only way to be happy.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
Metas may have come from humans, but that does not mean they are humans now.

Apparently, you dislike reading. Human regression is a (rare) possibility in children of metahumans. Thus, orks came from humans (and still do rarely) and humans rarely come from orks.

Now, as to whether orks are still 'humans' is a matter of definition, since they are biologically equivalent. And the accepted definition is that they are a subspecies, genentically compatible but distinctly different from the other 4 subspecies of humanity.

Now, argue the sociological side all you want, but the biologist assessment is established, and will not be disproven by your rants.
mfb
see, that's why a lot of orks don't even try to fit in with smoothie society: the blatantly two-faced crap they have to listen to. DLN keeps saying orks should keep to the back of the bus, but i guarantee she tells her own kids they can grow up to be CEO or president or something. you'll tell a human to stretch beyond his inherent limitations, but you feed orks that "don't go chasing waterfalls" happy claptrap.

yes, orks have limitations. so do humans. you wouldn't tell a human to stop weightlifting because physical strength isn't an ability he's naturally gifted in--so why tell an ork to stop trying to be smarter or better liked?

[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
Yeah! And a dog can be a scientist, too!

~J
mfb
if i ever met a dog that wanted to be a scientist, i wouldn't try to stop him. i might take him on the talkshow circuit and make a buttload of money off him, but i wouldn't try to stop him from being a scientist.

besides, dogs have nothing to do with the discussion. in every field humans have delved into, there are orks, trolls, dwarves, and elves delving right along side them. whatever limitations metas may have, they're not limiting enough to justify barring them from any human activity.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (mfb)
whatever limitations metas may have, they're not limiting enough to justify barring them from any human activity.

Well, aside from amusement park and water park rides that haven't been enlarged for the troll crowd yet. And then there's all the roller coasters that effectively have 'no dwarves allowed' with their height requirement. On the plus side, dwarves tend to save money at buffets that have height based pricing guidelines...
Kagetenshi
Show me an Ork who does serious work in particle physics. Show me an Ork who has contributed significant original understanding to combinatorics. Orks and Trolls are simply not represented in many fields, and promising minds who have undergone late Goblinization have fallen into obscurity. This is not coincidence.

~J
Particle_Beam
How should one show an Ork working seriously in particle physics? All humans and metahumans in SR are absolutely ficitional, so you can invent them up on the fly however you want. nyahnyah.gif
PlatonicPimp
And so, meet Bob, the orc Particle Physicist!

Seriously though, How do you know? Unlike last centuries ethnicity, you can't determine if a person is an ork, a troll, an elf, dwarf or human from their name. Any one of the scientists who publishes papers could be any metatype. You'd have to look up the personal life of the scientist to find out. In fact, in order to judge at all, you'd have to do it to a representative sample of the scientific community in order to get meaningful statistics to judge.

You'll note I didn't trot out individually gifted metas. I referenced studies. Studies showing that across the board meta performance in academic tests has improved. I offered some theories as to why that may be, but the data itself is incontrovertable (as the editions have come, the penalty to intelligence and charisma in orcs and trolls has decreased)

I've seen some meaningful statistics on this, actually, and you are right, there ARE few orcs and trolls in the scientific community. There are also few dwarves in the scientific community, and if you correct for the Tirs, an equally small number of elves. Neither dwarves or elves have ever shown difficulty in academic performance statistically. Given the equally small number of all metatypes in the scientific community, it's far more appropriate to assume a systemic bias against metahumans, instead of any performance-based limitation on the part of any single metatype.
Pendaric
There are lies, damn lies and statistics.
Taking the two Tir's as an example, there are very few successful human scientists.
Racism works not a practical level but on an elitist one, a desire to make what you wish to believe true happen. In the shadows the majority of orcs and trolls are more than capable of intelligent abstraction.
The capabilities of the Sons of Sauron are equivalent to the Hand of Five, for example.
Gifted artists span across the metatypes, better demonstrating the collective humanity.
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Show me an Ork who does serious work in particle physics. Show me an Ork who has contributed significant original understanding to combinatorics. Orks and Trolls are simply not represented in many fields, and promising minds who have undergone late Goblinization have fallen into obscurity. This is not coincidence.

you're right--it's not a coincidence. it proves that prejudice against orks and trolls still has a strong negative impact on their ability to succeed and advance in smoothie society, despite all the programs that support them. maybe there's solid reasoning for that prejudice, maybe there isn't--but your line of logic doesn't prove, or even suggest, anything either way.
PlatonicPimp
Statistics are only lies when you the methodology used to gather them remains undisclosed. In science, there are three forms of data, in ascending order of usefulness: Case studies, General studies, and repeatable experiments. You can't generalize from a case study, but you CAN generalize from general studies. You can generalize from repeated experiments, and you can infer causation as well. Now we'll never know causation for certain in subjects like these, because the exxperiments would be horrible unethical. So general studies are the best we've got to go on.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (mfb)
see, that's why a lot of orks don't even try to fit in with smoothie society: the blatantly two-faced crap they have to listen to. DLN keeps saying orks should keep to the back of the bus, but i guarantee she tells her own kids they can grow up to be CEO or president or something. you'll tell a human to stretch beyond his inherent limitations, but you feed orks that "don't go chasing waterfalls" happy claptrap.

yes, orks have limitations. so do humans. you wouldn't tell a human to stop weightlifting because physical strength isn't an ability he's naturally gifted in--so why tell an ork to stop trying to be smarter or better liked?

[ Spoiler ]

But I would tell a person who was trying to compete with an ork or troll in weightlifting that they could not hope to compete and should understand their limitations.

As for the idea that a dog would not make a scientist, I think it is valid. the fact the dog cannot let you know what he wants is not proof he does not want it, just further reinforces the image. A great many trolls and orks are not terribly articulate either. If just speech is a requirment then you arem aking my case for me. Orks are just not capable of acting at the same level as people and to make them think otherwise, just to stroke some human guilt does them only a great disservice.

mfb
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
But I would tell a person who was trying to compete with an ork or troll in weightlifting that they could not hope to compete and should understand their limitations.

and by doing so, you'd be screwing a whole lot of humans out of their trophies, since humans in the 75kg class win about as often as their ork and troll competitors. of course, the real problem with your argument is that you're putting it in terms of competition--of us versus them--which means that anytime they succeed, then you have lost, in your eyes. you're choosing to view metahumans as the enemy, however much sugar you try and coat it with.
Snow_Fox
If you haven't figured it out DLN is Japanese. She's reliable on a run but does not work well with metas. Her prejudices are pretty well established by her culture and she has the blinders on that won't let her see the good to be found in all people.
Kagetenshi
It's laughable that someone trying to claim that Orks are people too is calling someone blinkered. Appointed your horse to lead the Senate recently?

~J
mfb
unsurprising that the guy preaching hate is the first one to go for the name-calling.
Kagetenshi
Agreed. There was no call for such blatant racism, like the following:

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
If you haven't figured it out DLN is Japanese. She's reliable on a run but does not work well with metas. Her prejudices are pretty well established by her culture and she has the blinders on that won't let her see the good to be found in all people.

But I don't think Snow_Fox is a guy.

~J
Ol' Scratch
I must have totally missed something in this conversation. Where is the hate and racism in that comment? Cultural stereotyping, sure, but there's a big different between that and "racism." Particularly in the context it's being used here. And I don't see how there's any namecalling at all. "OMFG, she called her Japanese! RACIST! RACIST!" ???
Kagetenshi
"She's Japanese, so obviously she's prejudiced and blinkered and can't work with metas!"

~J
Ravor
>>> Tell that to my chummer Blizt, oh wait, he was gacked by a couple of Trogs because everyone knows that all Japanese people drink the blood of meta babies before breakfest. <<< -Trell
Ol' Scratch
That would be the cultural stereotyping which, again, is different than racism. Especially if it's true and especially if it's true because she chose that trait due to the cultural stereotyping.

You'll also note that the way Snow Fox said it, her being Japanese was simply another trait of hers ("She's Japanese, she's reliable, but doesn't work well with metas") -- you're the one who put them together. So doesn't that make you the racist by your terms? You're the one assuming she's racist because she's Japanese.

"I'm an American. I like to eat fast food and watch television." OMFG I'm a self-hating American!
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
"She's Japanese, so obviously she's prejudiced and blinkered and can't work with metas!"

~J

well, isn't that true? haven't the vast, vast majority of Japanese citizens and Japan-based corporations shown a persistent bias against metahumans, to the point where Japan has the highest incidence of 'vanished' metahumans, according to Amnesty Int'l? to the point where, when one of their own CEOs was transformed into a 'changed one', Yamatetsu was forced to relocate their headquarters?
Ravor
>>> Whatever you want to call it, doesn't make Blizt any less dead and it doesn't change the fact that the Trogs gacked him because of what you want to call "cultural stereotyping". <<< -Trell
Ravor
>>> So what if it's true that a majority of Japenese citizens are racist fraggers? Does that somehow excuse Blizt's death because his murders had probably been discrimated against at some point in their lives? <<< -Trell
Ravor
>>> Oh and something that I missed the first scan through, you cleverly quit quoting Snow_Fox just before she tied DLN's racist traits with being Japenese. In fact, Snow_Fox had to go out of her fragging way to bring DLN's nationality into the discussion. <<< -Trell
PBTHHHHT
yeeesh, this thread has gotten to the point where I ain't touching it with a ten foot pole. maybe an eleven foot one but not a ten foot one.
Ravor
Eh? And here I thought everyone was being fairly civil by Dumpshock standards, especially considering the powderkeg nature of the subject matter and the In-Character viewpoints. cyber.gif
mfb
QUOTE (Ravor @ Aug 3 2007, 10:10 PM)
>>> So what if it's true that a majority of Japenese citizens are racist fraggers? Does that somehow excuse Blizt's death because his murders had probably been discrimated against at some point in their lives? <<< -Trell

if you really want to make something meaningful out of your friend's memory, you could start by not using racist epithets like "trog". sucks for your friend, but he kinda proves the point i'm making: people shouldn't judge other people on the basis of what they're born as, be it Japanese or ork.

what's really sick and sad is how completely blind--blinkered, you could call it--most racists are to the lack of differentiation between metatypes. what separates an ork from a human? genetics? everybody has ork genes--only some of us haven't expressed them. intelligence? there are plenty of humans with far, far lower intelligence than the average ork. what it comes down to is that the only differentiation between the metatypes is their phenotype--what they look like. we learn all about phenotype purists in history class. the slaveowners of the old US are one example, but why pussyfoot around? let's just go ahead and throw down the Hitler card and watch all the neo-Nazis--oops, Humanis!--sputter about how this is different.

[ Spoiler ]
Pendaric
I find most racists vulgar and amusing in turns. The imagination they bring to bear to justify their point is enormous, yet they lack the insight to realise how limited they are in their perceptive ability. A true mental shackle prohibiting the full range of action.
Almost childishly naive in their way....not true innocents of course but sharing some of the petulant sweetness of an errant child.
Snow_Fox
Can I point out what I meant was that it is a well known fact that for decades the Japanese culture has had a significant bias against metahumans. DLN, as an Ethnic Japanese human raised in that culture, is afftected by that bias.
Fortune
QUOTE (Pendaric)
I find most races vulgar and amusing in turns.

Fixed it for you. wink.gif
Pendaric
Eoerintish, Fortune.
Adam
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Aug 5 2007, 01:28 AM)
I find most races vulgar and amusing in turns.

Fixed it for you. wink.gif

Admin post: Do not edit someone's text when quoting them.
Fortune
Alright, but in fairness I did specifically point out that I had done so, and it was obviously merely in jest.

Incidentally, I've seen this exact same thing done (in pretty much the exact same manner) dozens of times on the Dumpshock forums alone, and I have never seen an Administrative admonishment accompanying any such post in the past. Is this a new policy?
Fortune
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Aug 5 2007, 08:54 AM)
Eoerintish...

question.gif
I'm not familiar with that particular word.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Pendaric @ Aug 5 2007, 08:54 AM)
Eoerintish...

question.gif
I'm not familiar with that particular word.

((Eoerin is the Sperenthiel word for a wise person or theologist, basically. Shame on you for not knowing Mr. Always Plays an Elf. Shame.))
Adam
Despite not having a fancy colour, this is an admin post!

Incidentally, I've seen this exact same thing done (in pretty much the exact same manner) dozens of times on the Dumpshock forums alone, and I have never seen an Administrative admonishment accompanying any such post in the past. Is this a new policy?

I haven't seen it dozens of times, which is unfortunate, because I would have posted about it sooner.

We're discussing backstage exactly how this will be handled in the future. If you're like to give further feedback about it, please start a thread in the News / Bug Reports / etc forum.
Ravor
>>> When the trogs quit using the word amongst themselves then so will I. As for racism being only about what someone looks like, that may have been true for my pappy's pappy, when claims of such-and-such ethic group being mentally substandard fell apart once you adjusted the studies for social status, but the fact remains that the smartest trog in the world is measurably less intelligent then the smartest human, dwarf, or elf. If that simple fact changes then I'll have to reconsider my stance of course, but I won't be holding my breath, not when I have a couple of dirty trogs to gut. <<< -Trell
Fortune
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Shame on you for not knowing Mr. Always Plays an Elf. Shame.

Damn! You're right, I should have known. embarrassed.gif
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Ravor)
>>> When the trogs quit using the word amongst themselves then so will I. As for racism being only about what someone looks like, that may have been true for my pappy's pappy, when claims of such-and-such ethic group being mentally substandard fell apart once you adjusted the studies for social status, but the fact remains that the smartest trog in the world is measurably less intelligent then the smartest human, dwarf, or elf. If that simple fact changes then I'll have to reconsider my stance of course, but I won't be holding my breath, not when I have a couple of dirty trogs to gut. <<< -Trell

Yeah, but the dumbest human, orc, troll, elf, and dwarf are all on the same level. Take a look around at the people you meet everyday and tell me which is more telling, the highest levels an individual might reach, or the lowest common denominator.

And frankly, They don't need to be smarter than Einstien. They simply need to be smarter than YOU. Which is what worries you, isn't it? I'm sure that, since you feel physically inadequate compared to metas, you desparately need to feel intellectually superior. You're acting like that the geek in high school who just found out the football player gets strait A's too. So Jimmy linebacker got better scores on his SAT than you? You gonna shoot up the school in your angst? Pathetic.
Ravor
>>> Heh, sorry to disappoint you but I'm fully aware that the lowest common denominator among humans, dwarves and trogs are roughly the same, but the last time I checked even the dumbest elf still scored higher if you used overall IQ as a benchmark as opposed the the old school studies that only looked at a narrow section of intelligence.

And let's not forget that with all the really nice brainboosting toys that keep coming out you can take your lowest common denominator trog and human, and post augmentation through either technology or magic the trog will still be measureably dumber then the human, who in turn would still score lower then an elf undergoing the same treatments.

Which proves once again that trogs aren't just ugly humans, there are real differences. <<< -Trell
Angelone
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Yeah, but the dumbest human, orc, troll, elf, and dwarf are all on the same level. Take a look around at the people you meet everyday and tell me which is more telling, the highest levels an individual might reach, or the lowest common denominator.

And frankly, They don't need to be smarter than Einstien. They simply need to be smarter than YOU. Which is what worries you, isn't it? I'm sure that, since you feel physically inadequate compared to metas, you desparately need to feel intellectually superior. You're acting like that the geek in high school who just found out the football player gets strait A's too. So Jimmy linebacker got better scores on his SAT than you? You gonna shoot up the school in your angst? Pathetic.

So just because someone states the well documented facts that orcs and trolls are stronger physically, but not mentally, they are angsty inadequate "geeks" who will shoot up schools? That is worse than any other racism I've read, you drek for brains metahuman apologist.

PS wink.gif
Daddy's Little Ninja
While I dislike approving anything said by someone who advocated violence against changed ones the point is valid. Certainly there are dumb humans who rate on a scale withthe average ork and there are a few orks who are above average in their outlook, but when looking at the greater numbers and the overall averages, orks are clearly inferior to people.

Some have made a ponit about Japanese culture having a different view of changed ones. this is true. we do not waste money on cuddly pc surveys by over paid sociologists to make a warm and fuzzy feeling about all men are equal so we should all have a group hug. The changed ones are not men and are not equal. Unlike the melting pot that is the UCAS, Japan has been blessed with a single ethnic identity for centuries. It porvides great strength and assurance for the people. There is no need to bring in outside influences and cultures as what we have works well. If you question that just look at the domiance of the Japanese industry in the world.

Again I do not want to see Changed Ones punished, they should be pitied. But this does not mean they should be coddled or cruelly taught that they are the equals of real people.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Angelone)
So just because someone states the well documented facts that orcs and trolls are stronger physically, but not mentally, they are angsty inadequate "geeks" who will shoot up schools? That is worse than any other racism I've read, you drek for brains metahuman apologist.

No, you are right, people who point out there are differences between the metatypes are not "angsty, inadequate geeks". At least, not as a causal link. However, people who say
I have a couple of dirty trogs to gut.
are.

here's the real deal. It's not the observation that there are differences between the metatypes that's the issue here. Arguing that is a straw man, a red herring. Of course there are differences. That doesn't mean that different metatypes should be given different opportunities.

For one, the statistical variation between individuals is greater than the statistical variation between metatypes. Even if you can prove that orcs are on average 10% less intelligent than humans (and I'm being generous, as we could compare studies all day and never come to a conclusion), that's not even a full standard deviation on IQ tests. Similarly, the range of strength is greater than the average difference between orcs and humans. The only case where the difference is of great significance is in comparing physical size and build of trolls against any other metatype.

This means that racial profiling doesn't deliver a meaningful analysis of an individuals capability. Even if some metatypes are less intelligent on average, any given member of that metatype is likely to display above average intelligence. You cannot know unless you test that person by the exact same standards, you cannot know unless you give them the chance to prove themselves.

But the far more important point, a point entirely independant of measurable results, is that we have no business trying to tell anyone, regardless of metatype, where they should focus their efforts. Even if an orc will have difficulties that a human wouldn't in a particular line (again, not provable, but I'm briefly conceding the point because it's not important to this argument), you have no right to try and dissuade them from their course of action. Metahumans are sentient, even if they aren't human, and have the same rights to self-sovereignity as any sentient.

Ravor
>>> Hmm? Surely even a half-scan wouldn't dare to seriously suggest that I should take a "forgive and forget" stance with the dirty trogs that killed my chummer. Man I know I'd "love" to have people like that watching my back during biz. <<< -Trell
Herald of Verjigorm
If I get into harms way, I know I'd prefer the company of some who would seek vengeance against the ones who sought me ill, rather than just anyone who looked kinda like them.

On Pimp's debate, you have full rights and even responsibility to warn another of challenges they may face. Denying them the right to face those challenges is a different issue. Much as I may warn Trell that his foolish crusade against any human bigger than himself will fail miserably, but I do nothing to restrain him from it.
PlatonicPimp
And that's fair. However, putting additional obstacles in their path to "dissuade them" is not. Prejudice is not an inherent obstacle. Really, if your concerns about their ability are valid, then simply allowing them to act unfettered by any artificial limitation will show that validity. People who beleive that certain metatypes are unfit for certian tasks should be overjoyed to give them a fair try at it, because it's an opportunity to prove their claims. Rarely are bigots so willing to expose their theories to the test. Rather they act like their prejudice is justified a-priori, and that WE have the burden of proof on us, that we have to prove ourselves capable before being given the chance to prove ourselves capable.

Ravor
>>> Sure, if that is all you want I'll freely admit that I've known a few trogs who were hands down smarter then I am just as I've known a few humans with an almost elven natural grace and beauty. But that doesn't change the brutal fact that nature is a heartless slitch, not only do trogs have an lesser mental capacity they can strive towards, their shorter livespans also serves as a pratical limit on the level of education and experience they can hope to achieve. But sure, if you really want to fight against the hand mother nature dealt you and enter a field where by the time you've finished your education you are already past your prime then by all means go for it if you can pass the same enterance exam that everyone else has to.

Just don't expect special treatment when you find that everyone else is very likely more experienced and smarter post augmentation then you can ever hope to be. <<< -Trell
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012