Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, how do you play this?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
JongWK
I may be interested in joining a PBEM game like these, but I know next to nothing about their mechanics. How do you exactly play them? How long do they last and how often do you need to participate? (I need to know if I'll be able to play).

Thanks!
JWK
wavey.gif
Shadow
When yous say PBEM you mean Play By Email right?
JongWK
Well, yes, although I'm talking about games like the ones with IC and OOC threads (i.e, Bleeding Edge, Exiles, etc.). I supposed they were just another way of playing them.

Crap, that gang campaign seems cool (hopes that some PCs die so he can try to join devil.gif ).
Shadow
Well then, I can probably answer some of your questions. PBP, or Play by Post, isn't really different then a tabletop game.

but I know next to nothing about their mechanics

There aren't really any mechanics, you post instead of take a turn like you would in a tabletop game. And you try to act your best like there character. If you know SR game mechanics (and you seem like you do) then you can wing the rest.

How do you exactly play them?

I would recommend reading a couple of games, then once you think you have the feel for it, join one. You play by simply acting your character. It's kind of tough to explain, but you play as if you were sitting at the table with these guys, it just goes a little (sometime a lot) slower. Just be fair and try and give everyone a chance to post.

How long do they last and how often do you need to participate?

The shortest games usually only last a month, but that is because they die out from lack of participation. truthfully most games end before there finished because of boredom, or RL issues.

Like I said, read a couple of games, when you think your ready, join one that is starting up, and just play. I keep several 123 point characters on hand, made strictly by the rules, so that if a game comes up that I want to join (because I know the GM, or other people in it) I can just send a character in asap. Nothing is worse than waiting for a game to start because someone is taking weeks to make a character.
JongWK
How often do you need to post?

EDIT: Because I'm usually MIA during the weekends.
Shadow
Usually the GM sets the posting requirements. I like to request my players post at least, 1 time a day. and five time a week. They are sure welcome to post more, but they need to be able to hit that minimum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012