Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brainhacking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
hobgoblin
i was under the impression that hot sim comes as much from signal strength as anything else.

so when i think about it, i would expect the sim module to be wired directly to the input (jack, trode, whatever) but not required to be wired directly to a comlink or similar...
Rifleman
QUOTE (Dancer @ Jul 31 2007, 11:20 AM)
You wouldn't neccesarily need to be using a sim module but you would need to have some form of DNI available (Datajack, implanted commlink, 'trodes).

From basic book, page 214, Quote:

The sim-module accessory coverts simsense data into neural
signals, so that you can experience other people’s experiences
(or programmed sensations)—including emotion. Sim modules
are necessary to access virtual reality (see p. 228).

Sim module is nessecary. Taking a user offline from his own sim module will be noticed.

Also, on Skin links, a question: Considering I can find one entry on this on page 318, where does it say it can be used with a handshake? My interpretation is that a person has to grip something or that the device has to have a reliable direct connection with the user, not a hand shake. It is an option on electronic devices, that's all it says. This means the 'gift' idea might work, but not someone shaking another person's hand.
hobgoblin
it does not say anywhere that a handshake would do, but people are guessing that it can be done, both because its a broadcast medium similar to wireless (you put a signal onto someones skin and everyone in contact with the skin can pick it up) and because handshake based exchange of data have been shown of as close to reality for some time now (hell, microsoft applied for a patent for a skinlink style system some years ago iirc).

think about it, skinlink is nothing more then a very low current version of a stungun or similar. and if you hold the hand of someone thats hit by one of those, your hit yourself.
Rifleman
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
it does not say anywhere that a handshake would do, but people are guessing that it can be done, both because its a broadcast medium similar to wireless (you put a signal onto someones skin and everyone in contact with the skin can pick it up) and because handshake based exchange of data have been shown of as close to reality for some time now (hell, microsoft applied for a patent for a skinlink style system some years ago iirc).

think about it, skinlink is nothing more then a very low current version of a stungun or similar. and if you hold the hand of someone thats hit by one of those, your hit yourself.

Perhaps, but it would have to be with a glove or a cyberarm, wouldn't it? And even then, how do you reliably force the data transaction between two individuals without him doing something to break the connection?

I just don't see it being a practical possibility, based on the half a paragraph describing the technology.
hobgoblin
no it would work on skin alone. thats why i pointed out the stun gun (or for that matter a electic fence).

and data traffic happens very very fast. so if you can win initiative (nice way to calculate speed) and manage to hack in on a single pass, you can get his pan to open up the wireless.

another option is to have a agent on standby that will try to hack its way in when the handshake takes place and then perform some actions if it manages to get transfered.
Rifleman
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 31 2007, 11:53 AM)
no it would work on skin alone. thats why i pointed out the stun gun (or for that matter a electic fence).

... And this is where I differ with your interpretation.

The book specifically says it uses the electrical pulses on the surface of the skin, and that it requires touch contact.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't have some sort of sensation or a jolt of some sort, and because it requires direct contact someone struggling wouldn't likely provide a good connection. It's not covered at all in the hacking section (I know, a weak arguement, but still,) so we have no idea if you can connect as mentioned here. But if it did work that way I would have imagined they would have said something.
Ravor
A couple of thoughts after reading this thread:

Hacking someone's commlink wouldn't be enough (Unless they are using an implanted commlink that is.), you'd have to hack the person's Datajack or Trodenet and have that hook up to the sim module you wanted. Personally I don't think that you could do that without it being noticed.

Is it just me or are the rules for Brain Hacking that were in Man and Machine absent from AUG? Are they slated to appear in Unwired?

*Edit*

Oh personally I think hacking someone's skinlink PAN while touching them is possible, but then again in the Shadows I imagine that trying to shake someone's hand or otherwise touching them is a big no-no, not because of the relatively mild risk of skinline hacking (Come on, you've got one or maybe two turns to do your hack without being noticed, it's not that big of a risk.), but because of the risk of ritual links and stealth tags, ect...
Rotbart van Dainig
Actually, it's a modulation of the EM-field of the body.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Ravor)
A couple of thoughts after reading this thread:

Hacking someone's commlink wouldn't be enough (Unless they are using an implanted commlink that is.), you'd have to hack the person's Datajack or Trodenet and have that hook up to the sim module you wanted. Personally I don't think that you could do that without it being noticed.

I agree it's near impossible to pull off without the victim noticing.

But not being noticed may not be relevant.
PlatonicPimp
A person getting skinlinked hacked might notice a small electrical jolt or buzz or whatever, but unless they knew what the sensation meant, they'd be more likely to put it down to static electricity or something.
neko128
QUOTE (Dancer)
You wouldn't neccesarily need to be using a sim module but you would need to have some form of DNI available (Datajack, implanted commlink, 'trodes).

If this is true, then why can't Black Hammer do physical damage to someone using cold sim, let alone someone in AR? They don't say "you do physical damage as long as they're hot-simmed, or have some form of DNIed hardware in the simsense loop."

In my games, at least, there's no way you can fry someone's brain unless there's a hot-sim interface to fry it through... The rules seem to contradict the ability for that to happen.
Ravor
Sure, when your skinlink connects with theirs they may only feel a slight jolt and not figure things out, but they are probably going to smell something fishy when you try to turn a handshake into "let's hold hands'.
hobgoblin
question is, how long does a handshake last, and how long would it take to on the fly hack the target comlink?
Ravor
I can't speak for other parts of the country/world, but where I live, a handshake lasts just a couple of seconds, and even at jacked AR speeds, I don't think it's reasonable for a Decker to hack into the PAN, make the changes and alter the logs within the space of one combat turn. (Not to mention that it's very possible a "wireless active" message is sent to the user.)
PlatonicPimp
I know that if I were a corporate business-man, with a skinlink, I'd set my commlink up to detect whenever it came into contact with someone else's skinlink. Then with a quick mental command, everytime I shake hands with someone they get my E-card. In fact, I would think that something like this would be pretty standard fare, so that sararimen meeting each other for the first time would expect small data exchanges that pu each other into their social networking management software. This is more than adequate time to upload an agent.
Buster
QUOTE (Ravor)
I can't speak for other parts of the country/world, but where I live, a handshake lasts just a couple of seconds, and even at jacked AR speeds, I don't think it's reasonable for a Decker to hack into the PAN, make the changes and alter the logs within the space of one combat turn. (Not to mention that it's very possible a "wireless active" message is sent to the user.)

Hacker: "Well hellllooo there Mr. Johnson." <really long handshake> wink.gif
Mr. Johnson: "Uh, I don't swing that way, but I'm flattered." <yanks hand away, takes 5 foot step back>
odinson
Do datajacks actually have wireless capability? I thought the entire point of a datajack was so you could hardwire things directly to your brain. I guess that opens up a whole new can o worms if they are wireless.
Ravor
Sure, datajacks are intra-pan devices so they have ( Signal 0 ) for a reach of 3 meters, plus the hardwired connection, and the ability to be skinlink adapted. cyber.gif
Ravor
Also something to consider is that if you upload an Agent ontp a PAN, you are changing the system load, and that by itself is probably going to get noticed. cyber.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Ravor)
Also something to consider is that if you upload an Agent ontp a PAN, you are changing the system load, and that by itself is probably going to get noticed. cyber.gif

just like someone notice a worm hitting windows today and shrug it of as just normal behavior...
Ravor
Considering how system load works in the Sixth World I'd say it's alot more unlikely for someone to pass a Responce drop off as "normal system behavior".
Backgammon
QUOTE (neko128)
QUOTE (Dancer @ Jul 31 2007, 11:20 AM)

If this is true, then why can't Black Hammer do physical damage to someone using cold sim, let alone someone in AR? They don't say "you do physical damage as long as they're hot-simmed, or have some form of DNIed hardware in the simsense loop."

In my games, at least, there's no way you can fry someone's brain unless there's a hot-sim interface to fry it through... The rules seem to contradict the ability for that to happen.

[ Spoiler ]
Backgammon
QUOTE (Ravor)
Sure, datajacks are intra-pan devices so they have ( Signal 0 ) for a reach of 3 meters, plus the hardwired connection, and the ability to be skinlink adapted. cyber.gif

As far as i can tell, Datajacks are totally useless now. Trodes are just as good and cost no essense.
Ravor
Umm, unless AUG changed something that I missed, a sim module must be accessed by whatever DNI you've got, whether that is an implanted commlink, trodenet, or datajack, so even by RAW the tactic under discussion is only possible if you are within the ( Signal Rating ) of your target's set of trodes/datajack/implanted commlink.

*Edit*

QUOTE (Backgammon)
As far as i can tell, Datajacks are totally useless now. Trodes are just as good and cost no essense.

Not quite, even if you go strictly by RAW, datajacks are still good for mentally using BTLs, Know-softs, Linga-softs, ect...

Plus you don't have to worry about a datajack getting knocked off either in a "common sense" moment or as a Glitch result.
Rotbart van Dainig
Sure. But since it's wireless access, you can relay it.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Ravor)
Umm, unless AUG changed something that I missed, a sim module must be accessed by whatever DNI you've got,

But one device accessing another does not imply that it does so directly. When you access a corp node you're going through many, many intermediate steps.
What we need is a clear statement that the sim module must be accessed directly by the DNI, with no intermediate devices. If you have a quote for this, please give a page number and end this. smile.gif
That makes the strategy possible, but difficult, and that's what we're missing.
Jaid
there is a statement somewhere that simsense must be direct or something like that. can't remember offhand the exact wording, or the page number.

in any event, it didn't really clarify what 'direct' means. does it mean simsense has to go through a DNI of some kind? (ie direct meaning "direct neural interface") does it mean there can't be any other devices between the simsense module and the DNI? imo, it certainly doesn't mean it requires a cable (it would have to specifically mention that, imo, since the general rules indicate everything is wireless), though the last time this discussion came up someone insisted that's what it meant.

ultimately, the rules aren't terribly clear on this, i'm afraid. last time it came up, i basically just stopped discussing it and let it sink since it wasn't going anywhere, imo...
Ravor
And whenever the rules aren't clear we have the fluff to examine in order to detremine the intent, and with the exception of Emergance claiming Technomancers have a power which the rules state they don't there isn't any mention of such tactics actual working at all.
Jaid
more or less total silence on a given subject cannot be used to prove much about that subject... other than the fact that we don't know much about it.

(ie, just because it doesn't give specifics as to how possible it is, doesn't mean we can assume it is impossible. or possible for that matter. it just means that we don't really know)
Ravor
I disagree when that something would be "world-changing" I mean IF this tactic worked then as it's been stated, everyone would be using it.
Rifleman
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 31 2007, 02:57 PM)
more or less total silence on a given subject cannot be used to prove much about that subject... other than the fact that we don't know much about it.

(ie, just because it doesn't give specifics as to how possible it is, doesn't mean we can assume it is impossible. or possible for that matter. it just means that we don't really know)

By the same token, creative interpretation of the rules based on one paragraph detailing something meant to be an accessory to allow someone to more easily access their own private network seems a bit excessive. It doesn't seem to say anything about your electrical field being able to support someone else's virtual signal.
Jaid
this tactic isn't necessarily all that "world changing"

right now, someone can grab a kitchen knife and go kill most average people if they want to. they'll get caught, but that's equally true about some random guy killing someone else via the matrix.

so why doesn't it happen? because you can still get caught. and because for anyone important enough to be worth killing, there will be hefty matrix defenses. which is all that really stops anyone from murdering people in the meat, also... anyone important enough to protect, will be protected.

the only difference is that whereas it takes only a cheap kitchen knife and random flailing to kill someone in the meat (heck, a rusty pipe or a metal bar is just as good, almost), it takes expensive hardware (several months worth of pay, specifically) equally expensive (not to mention extremely illegal) software, and skill to kill someone via the matrix.

which isn't really any significantly worse obstacles than a sniper or other assassin might face in the meat, really. ultimately, given the relatively low cost to protect someone in the matrix (that is, you can get human security someplace in seconds, no matter where they are physically)

matrix assassins should be no more common than normal assassins, and random deaths inflicted via the matrix should be almost unheard of! (probably only from TMs, since it's not exactly a walk in the park for anyone else to get black IC)
Dancer
QUOTE (Ravor)
Umm, unless AUG changed something that I missed, a sim module must be accessed by whatever DNI you've got, whether that is an implanted commlink, trodenet, or datajack, so even by RAW the tactic under discussion is only possible if you are within the ( Signal Rating ) of your target's set of trodes/datajack/implanted commlink.

Normally the DNI device connects to a commlink which has a sim module. So if you took over their datalink you could wirelessly connect one of your sim modules to it, giving them a hotsim-equipped unit connected to their DNI device. The limiting factor is that the sim module must be within direct range of their commlink, you can't relay through the matrix.

Really, killing people is the least of what you can do with this technology. With a good selection of software you should be pretty much able to temporarily enslave people. Has anyone else got any ideas about what sort of bonuses/penalties ought to apply to a social test once your opponent has been moodchipped/p-fixed?
Adarael
Okay. I'm gonna weigh in here, and I know I'm not an 'official' source, but since this came up a lot in my prior game, I'm gonna tell you how it can be done and how it can't be done.

Page 318, Sim Module Entry: "A sim module must be accessed via trodes or a direct neural interface (datajack, implanted commlink, etc)." This means that your brain hits sim module before it hits commlink. Regardless of the fact that the sim module is physically attached to the commlink, the sim module is the FIRST thing your DNI signal is processed through, not the commlink.

On Sim Modules
This is how it goes. An implanted commlink is a DNI because it's hard-wired into your brain - therefore the implant takes over the duties of a datajack, assuming the sim module is also implanted. Trodes are specifically the only non-DNI form of access that a sim module can have. This means that as signals pass from the great god of the matrix to the user's commlink, they are then interpreted by the sim module and sent to your brain. The analogy of the modem is almost correct but not quite - modem is to sim module as computer is to brain:
Matrix --> User's Commlink --> Sim Module --> Brain.
The module is that which translates the digital data of the matrix for your brain. Not for your commlink. That's why the module has to set directly between your gray matter and anything else.

On Hot/Cold Sim
'So what!' you say, 'Let's just hot-wire somebody's datajack wirelessly and get that bad boy a good ol' brainfry!' Good plan, but no cigar. Not yet, anyway. So you wanna connect your sim module to them, such that they can get black IC'd from the comfort of their own living room. You're going to run into two problems really quick:
1) You have to get it connected to their DNI. How to do this has been adequately described, with the exception of one error, which I'll deal with in the DNI section below.
2) You have to override their own sim module, if it's not re-wired for hot sim.
Why is this? Well, sim 'strength' is measured by the 'delta levels' of the recording (see Shadowbeat, Matrix 2.0, and probably forthcoming 4th edition releases). The higher the delta levels, the stronger the sensation. BTLs are literally better than life because they run the delta levels for sensory input above what the brain is capable of producing on its own. Hot sim is the same way, which is why you're faster, more alive, and it's possible to get addicted. It's not that the hot sim modules have an amplifier, but rather than ordinary sim modules have safety cutoffs in place via hardware buffers. Black IC, P-Fix chips, all that good stuff - they rely on going over the cutoffs to affect the user.
So even if you rig your hot sim module to the target's DNI, as long as their own sim module is in the loop (which it would have to, if your attack is inbound through their commlink) the black IC signal will get cut. It'll either get cut by their sim module before it hits yours, and the signal will already be dampened, or it'll get through yours only to be rendered 'ordinary' (albeit confusing) by their module. You need to remove their sim module from the equation entirely in order to have hot sim access their brain. Unless they're running a modified module, in which case you pretty much just have to spoof it into running in hot mode.

Fact 1: BTLs and other chips don't need sim modules for the same reason emulators don't need hardware: the signal they output is already in the form the human brain can process. The sim module is built right onto the chip. So theoretically, a P-Fix chip doesn't need a sim module on the target to work, as long as it's being directly connected by DNI. Unfortunately, if you send the P-Fix signal over the 'net it does, because it has to get translated into the matrix protocols and back out again.

That said, my personal (and in no way official) addendum is this: there's no way someone who's running hot sim all of a sudden would fail to notice it. It's just too raw, too alive, and too much like railing a line of molten aluminum.

DNI And You
'Okay' goes the next argument, 'But I can wirelessly subscribe my module to their DNI - be it datajack, internal commlink, or whatever - and then hack their sim module to turn off and give control to my own.' A good bet. But harder than you might think. This isn't explicitly stated in the rules, but logic dictates this is the case: datajacks don't usually pick up wireless data. Why is this?
The description of a datajack explicitly states that it is used to interface with data via a cable. It's not going to be used by the 'average' user, since they have no need of full VR. Any user who DOES use full VR, however, will be using the cable for the same reason you would:
1) Anything you'd want to access wirelessly is accessed through your commlink, not your datajack. So it's not like you need to have your bare brain exposed to all those chips - you can just dump 'em into your head through the commlink. That's why the commlink is the hub of your PAN and not your datajack.
2) Most objects are totally incapable of interacting with your datajack without some kind of interpretation device. It's all well and good to quote that everything is wireless - it is - but that doesn't mean it's all using the same language. You can't wirelessly jack straight into your coffee cup and expect it to react to mental signals without the auspices of a sim module. Same with a doctor's CyberSurgeon9000+ in an ER. You have to have an object do some kind of interpretation, and that's the sim module, and usually also a commlink.
3) So you don't like cables. Buy a skinlink. They're cheap, and they cut out that problem of picking up static in your wireless datajack and making you taste lint and see spots. (Can you imagine what WiFi static would FEEL like, going directly to your brain?)
4) In "The Wireless World" in SR4 (p. 304) it DOES say GMs have the final say on what's wireless and what isn't. But it also says that 'As a rule, assume that any
gear item that is electronic or mechanical has a wireless-enabled computer in it.' While this is surely the case with DNIs, that doesn't mean that HAVING a wireless computer is the same as giving full functionality to the wireless world. In the example of the the jacket with a wireless computer, the computer wouldn't give some snarky bastard the ability to zip it up and unzip it, unless you bough the jacket from Sharper Image. It'd just be a waste of money for the manufacturer - the draw wouldn't great enough to incorporate that kind of computer control.
5) Even if we assume datajacks have total wireless functionality rather than simple wireless diagnostics, wifi can be turned off with a simple command. It can't be turned back on except for manually. That means any company worth its' salt would require employees to turn off such a 'bare brains' security risk while on company property. Consider it like this: you might say that most people won't think about it because of convenience. It's also convenient not to tie my shoes, but after you watch someone trip on their shoelace, don't you make sure yours are still tied?

Users in 2070 aren't the same class of idiots we have today. The wireless matrix is everywhere, in everything, and they're gonna think twice about baring gray matter to unexpected IC...if for no other reason than they don't wanna get VR bombed by CIALIS NOW sensory ads in bad parts of town.
No.
These users are a different class of idiot. Their idiocy is that they think their security is good enough...not that security isn't an issue.
Dancer
Excellent points. I think that you are right.

Therefore, I think, I can substitute my own sim module if I can bring it within direct connection distance of their DNI device (around 100m for an implanted commlink and 3m for datajack/trodes). I also need to own their system with considerable thoroughness, to deactivate their current sim module and potentially change them from skinlink to wireless (if they've skinlinked their datajack to their commlink I can hack their commlink, get access to their datajack, hack that, and set it to wireless).

Not easy, but possible. Does my understanding accord with yours?
Fortune
How exactly do you deactivate/disable the piece of hardware that is the SIM Module wirelessly while it is in use?
Dancer
QUOTE (Fortune)
How exactly do you deactivate/disable the piece of hardware that is the SIM Module wirelessly while it is in use?

It's only in use if they're using simsense. Since that stops you from doing anything else at the same time, most people are happy to use AR. In most situations when I'm going to want to brainhack people they're not going to be dead-to-the-world in VR.
Fortune
AR is Simsense! While you don't need a Sim Module to use the Matrix via AR, you would still need one to get emotional feedback (which is available in AR).
Adarael
Yeah, Dancer. That's pretty much the way I scan it. And as to how you might dump it when it's in use, Fortune... Dancer's also right that it's not going to be operating if you're not in full VR. And even if you are, you could - if you were fast enough - swap their sim module for yours, and it'd dump them into AR for a second (and they'd know what'd happened if they were sharp). But you could theoretically hit them with the IC if you got the drop on them.
Ravor
Umm, you are mistaken about this not being a "world changing" tactic, it is at least as big as Ritual Sorcery is, perhaps even bigger considering that almost everyone gets their AR fix through sim-sense as well and thus through their sim-module and this tactic isn't limited to less then 1% of the population like magic is.

As for datajacks, remember that by default everything comes with wireless, and if datajacks were an exception then it would have been spelled out there as the description of datalocks shows us.
Dancer
But considering a datajack needs to connect to your PAN to do anything useful there's no reason for it to have a signal of more than 0.

To brainhack somebody they either need to be using a hot sim module by default (small portion of the population), or you need to be able to physically insert one into their local space. Whereas ritual sorcery requires nothing, it hits them no matter where they are.
Ravor
I totally agree with everything you just said Dancer, datajacks have ( Signal 0 ), and you can only brainhack someone who is using hot sim-module conected to their datajack/trodes/implanted commlink.

The problem is that people are argueing that you can hack someone's PAN and then use wireless relays to connect your sim-module to their datajack/ect and then fry their brain with Black Hammer from anywhere in the world and yet this wouldn't be world changing in the least because anyone can stab someone to death with a kitchen knife.

Xenith
Had you played some Shadowrun Missions (referring to Through a Rose Colored Display Link), you'd know that the whole BTL mind control thing has already been done and is possible (apparently) in game to a variety of targets (mostly stupid/sloppy/lazy ones). There are simply no rules for it, yet. So use your best judgment.
Ravor
Yeah, I also remember reading something about a "truly random" random number generator as well in one of the SR Missions, so I don't put that much stock in them even though in general I enjoy reading and mining them for ideas.
PlatonicPimp
Look, IF you can override a user's own sim-module, and put a hot-sim module with range of their (signal 0) datajack in order to fry their brain, then why can't you get a repeater within range of their (signal 0) datajack, and then pipe the hot-sim feed through the repeater?

And if you CAN pipe the hot-sim through the repeater, why can't you use the cellular network that's already in place and almost always is within range of the targets datajack?

if you can do it at all, you can do it remotely.

So in order to prevent brainhacking the world from home, there are two possibilities: either the datajack does not possess wireless functionality (and thusly all incoming traffic is routed through the commlink and it's cold-sim module), OR the datajack is subscribed to the commlink and only accepts signals from it (with similar results) That last one means your datajack counts toward your commlink's subscription limit (at least when wirelessly enabled), and could be tricked with a spoof command.

So it would be locate the datajack's signal, spoof the datajack to accept your link (chance to be noticed), Hack the Datajack (chance to be noticed), Upload the p-fix/hit them with black IC. Non-trivial.

And anyone who cares a modicum about security could turn off their datajack's wireless capability. Then all traffic HAS to be routed through their own sim module, no way around it. Or they could go the way my paraniod hacker did, and get senseware for all 5 senses and leave the sim-module out of it.

Here's my question. If a person has a sim moduel modified for hot-sim, but it's currently in cold-sim mode, could you spoof it to switch it to hot sim for them?
Jaid
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Here's my question. If a person has a sim moduel modified for hot-sim, but it's currently in cold-sim mode, could you spoof it to switch it to hot sim for them?

depends. i would suspect most sim modules use a software switch primarily. if only because you really want to be able to shift to cold sim if you spot some nasty IC, assuming you don't decide to go to AR.

on the other hand, for those who know enough to be able to hotsim modify a sim module, i would expect them to include a physical switch also, to ensure no one can spoof it to turn to hotsim at an inopportune time. this would not be instead of the software switch, but in addition to it, imo (this is kinda like having a safety on a gun. the gun doesn't automatically shoot when the safety is off, but when the safety is on, the gun won't shoot).

basically, it's important to be able to cut yourself off from hotsim even if you have an RAS override running on you at any given time.

so i would say it depends on the person... if the person is tech-savvy, expect them to have both switches, and you'll only be able to get at them when they're already in hotsim. for those who just have a hotsim for boosted simsense playing or who aren't really truly hackers but want to think they are, you could spoof hotsim to go on.
PlatonicPimp
So shadowrunners should know better, fool, and kids who experiment with BTLs probably leave their asses wide open.

I wonder if behind every incident of a matrix entity killing tourists is some beetlehead who left their module in hot-sim mode.
Ravor
I disagree PlatonicPimp, because if it were really so easy to run sim-sense data through a sim-module and then relay it through node after node into someone's DNI device then why aren't sim-modules built into wireless routers already, effectively forcing everyone using them into either cold or hot sim?

Hell if that's the case then why do we even need a sim-module at all? Instead of using sim-sense why not transmit everything in DNI capable signals?

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's not that unreasonable to look at the description of a sim-module and read the bit about being accessed through a DNI Device as meaning it has to be accessed directly, you can't just route the translated neural signals through relays that aren't designed to handle them.

But then again, unless an author speaks up we'll have to wait until Unwired to find out who is and isn't right, and I look at the fluff and wonder why isn't Ritual Sorcery for Deckers ever discussed if the tactic works across the world.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ravor)
I disagree PlatonicPimp, because if it were really so easy to run sim-sense data through a sim-module and then relay it through node after node into someone's DNI device then why aren't sim-modules built into wireless routers already, effectively forcing everyone using them into either cold or hot sim?

That would every wireless router require to hack the users interface and set it to accept it...

QUOTE (Ravor)
Hell if that's the case then why do we even need a sim-module at all? Instead of using sim-sense why not transmit everything in DNI capable signals?

Asking such questions will lead to madness.
There is really no reason why a commlink needs a sim module.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Hackers being able to kill anyone from any distance opens too many problems. Hell, the next computer virus could simply kill everyone. Someone, somewhere, while designing the new matrix, would have said 'hey, maybe opening up the earth's modern population to global genocide via computer virus is a bad idea'.

One would think they would have learned something from the last time that happened (ish), yes wink.gif But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I mean, I'd really love to see a logical, tech based reason why Signal Relay Brain Death like PP and I are talking about wouldn't work, for reasons I already mentioned. But I have yet to see why relaying would stop SRBD. After all, a simsense signal is in essence simply a data format (like modern AVI or WMA). Once interpeted (ie run through a hot sim module) there should be no issue in the DNI device accepting it (assuming the victim's PAN is throughly pwned of course).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012