Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TT's Ways of the weel
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Erchael
As my players just got out of an intense mission, I wanted to give them some time to breathe and see their contacts/friends/... (pretty social-intensive in general) while seeing something new that could lead to other future developments.

By rereading Tir-Tairngire sourcebook in conjunction with MITS, I got the idea of fleshing out a political/philosophical group (small and without much power or recognition) of elven traditionalists : people who really loved the government-sponsored traditions but got their eyes caught by the inequities of the system. As they want to keep the Rites and other Traditions but with open and disclosed results they are neither loved by the Council/traditionalists nor by the Reformists/Democrats and finally outcasted to Tarislar so they may continue speaking harmlessly and doing nothing.

As they were elven traditionalists, I wanted one of their leaders to be a traditionalist magical-active elf from head to toe and so follow the only elven-specific magic way : the Way of the Wheel.

Then comes my problem : I didn't read TIr Na Nog so I don't know anything about the Ways other than what I read in MITS and the Ways the Earthdawn elves walked.

Seeing the Ways of the Wheel as depicted are the "Irish" variant (perhaps the only real one in the 21st century), how would you flesh out this more generalist (ie applying to any elf) approach to the Ways (are they just modern crap, gotten real from the "Believers" or, in fact, existing because of Magical Entities (Concepts risen to Idol status?)?

What structure, hierarchy and traditions do you see fit? Are adepts/hermeticists(sp?)/shamans/aspected that follow the same Path members of the same tradition or should I display clashes between conflicting ideologies when a shaman opposes a mage on the "use" of Spirits and Elementals?

Thanks for sharing your comments/solutions/ideas! smile.gif
Talia Invierno
Well, what there was in Tir Na nOg was drastically overhauled in MitS, to much the same degree as the voudoun traditions from Awakenings. So you aren't really losing out by not having the first book, and you have the additional advantage of having read the Earthdawn commentaries.
how would you flesh out this more generalist (ie applying to any elf) approach to the Ways (are they just modern crap, gotten real from the "Believers" or, in fact, existing because of Magical Entities (Concepts risen to Idol status?)?

The concept of reincarnation crosses quite a few existing religions from the most ancient onwards - even early Christianity adopts it - so it's certainly not all "modern crap". The adaptation of the concept is tradition-specific, however: so you can choose whether the Path of the Wheel has in fact survived more or less intact since Earthdawn days, or whether it is the Tir equivalent of New Age revival of older concepts.
What structure, hierarchy and traditions do you see fit? Are adepts/hermeticists(sp?)/shamans/aspected that follow the same Path members of the same tradition or should I display clashes between conflicting ideologies when a shaman opposes a mage on the "use" of Spirits and Elementals?

This one I don't understand. The Path of the Wheel is a unique magical tradition in exactly the same manner as shamanism or wuxing. Are you suggesting that those following other traditions would perhaps share a magical group which holds a belief structure parallelling the Path of the Wheel, but whose members do not in fact practice it as a magical path?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012