Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Religion in the Sixth World
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
NightmareX
Well, it seems yet again, my curiosity is winning out against my better judgment. But before I start in this thread I want to make something very, very clear. I do not intend or desire this to be a religious debate or argument, nor do I intend any insult to anyone with this thread. And I do ask that the mods be particularly draconian to prevent this thread from becoming a war zone or insult fest - especially if I should break my word here.

Rather, I am curious as to what everyone's take on the religious demographics of the Sixth World look like (in relation to the geopolitical situation as well), and the reasoning behind such opinions. I am also curious as to opinions of whether the Awakening would cause major doctrinal changes in various religions or not.

But first the posts that lead up to this:

QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)

People always make the assumption that the JudeoChristian faiths are going to dwindle away and die in Shadowrun but I don't believe it.  Do I believe there would be a rise in more "modern/6th world" religious beliefs, sure.  But the old standards are going to stand firm and where better to present this than in a city like Jacksonville.

QUOTE (NightmareX)
IMO Shadowrun (purposely?) underplayed the effects the Awakening would have in relation to fundamentalist Christianity.  More moderate versions of the religion I could see adapting to the Sixth World, but among fundamentalists initially it would likely be seen as a the work of the devil and a sign of the immanent End Times.  I could easily see lots of "troll" (as in the late Troll from Alamos 2000) situations and more than a few deaths from attempted exorcisms.  I could also see the less fervent/more skeptical members of fundamentalist faiths quietly deserting to more moderate Christianities.  IMO, by 2057 (aka Awakenings) SR has it right - fundamentalist Christianity would be a largely ignored fringe faith, especially when the End Times didn't follow the script or in fact show up at all.

QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)

Also, I don't believe that the awakening would marginalize Christianity as a faith or any religion as a faith.  I think that  I know a lot of SR tends to give that impression but I just don't see it.  Believing that the awakening would cause over a billion people to lose faith is rather insulting to the billions of people on this planet that practice Christianity, Judaism, or the Islamic faith. 

The notion that we (yes, I'm one of them) would just stop believing because someone became an elf or an ork or because people began to practice magic is ridiculous.  Especially w/ the stance that the writers indicate that the Pope and most major moderate religious leaders took to integrate metahumanity and practitioners of magic into their ranks.

Regardless of whether there is a God or not people use faith, whatever faith they practice, as a mechanism for self-reconciliation.  It's a way to help us deal w/ the problems that everyday life throws at us and a way of looking at things that makes sense to us.  These things would not be wavered by goblinization or the awakening of the 6th world.  Even if Dunkelzahn had gone on the trid and said "There is no Christian God"  Christians wouldn't have stopped believing.  Though he probably wouldn't have gotten the Christian vote when he ran for president.

BTW I don't mean for this to spawn a huge religious debate, I'm just laying down my opinion and making as educated a guess as possible on how things would play out in an awakened world.

NightmareX
QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)
Also, I don't believe that the awakening would marginalize Christianity as a faith or any religion as a faith.

Not all of Christianity, no. Likely just the more fundamentalist/literalist versions of the faith, as I stated. More moderate/liberal/metaphorical versions of the faith would eventually adapt, as is shown in SR. I do think it would have a somewhat reductive effect on the faith (mainly clearing out a significant amount of "pew fillers"). Due to said reductive effect and geopolitical events (not to mention VITAS - death has a way of thinning the ranks of any religion), I would hazard a guess that in the Christianity may well have lost it's majority status in the Western world (though not to the extent that the entire faith is marginalized).

Note that I do not speculate as to the effects of the Awakening on Judaism or Islam as I know little of those faiths (apart from the OT documents in the bible).

Believing that the awakening would cause over a billion people to lose faith is rather insulting to the billions of people on this planet that practice Christianity, Judaism, or the Islamic faith.

Insult is, at times, a matter of perception. But I won't go any further into this, as religious debate isn't my point here and my recent track record regarding insult has been less than exemplary.

Especially w/ the stance that the writers indicate that the Pope and most major moderate religious leaders took to integrate metahumanity and practitioners of magic into their ranks.

While I think in time moderate Christian denoms would adapt to the Sixth World, I agree that the notion of them playing "follow the leader" to the Papacy's tune to be rather...ill informed or perhaps dismissive of a great many differences and issues that would prevent such a scenario.

Even if Dunkelzahn had gone on the trid and said "There is no Christian God"  Christians wouldn't have stopped believing.  Though he probably wouldn't have gotten the Christian vote when he ran for president.

Oh, most definitely agreed. Personally, I wonder if he would have gotten that much of the Christian vote to begin with, even with the more Awakened tolerant attitudes of SR, for obvious reasons.

BTW I don't mean for this to spawn a huge religious debate, I'm just laying down my opinion and making as educated a guess as possible on how things would play out in an awakened world.

Same here, I'm on vacation from religious debate. But yes, this is my educated guess as well, having once been a fundamentalist Christian for some time.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (NightmareX)
Rather, I am curious as to what everyone's take on the religious demographics of the Sixth World look like (in relation to the geopolitical situation as well), and the reasoning behind such opinions. I am also curious as to opinions of whether the Awakening would cause major doctrinal changes in various religions or not.

..wasn't that touched both in MitS and SM?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Nightmare X)
I do ask that the mods be particularly draconian to prevent this thread from becoming a war zone or insult fest

There have been a number of religion based threads that have gone just fine in the past, so I'm not too worried.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)

In a "this is what's out there and how they generally deal with Awakened stuff" sense, yes. Real doctrinal changes were glossed over or not mentioned - for instance, in Christianity (and Judaism) the acceptance of magic as "ok" means in essence that a significant portion of the OT and NT has be reinterpeted or ignored, which has real ramifications as the bible is viewed as the literal or inspired Word of God. See what I mean?

I'm interested in digging a tad deeper and getting a bit more specific. For example, Christianity is the single largest religion today IRL (roughly 1/3 the planet's population in some form or another) - does that hold true in the Sixth World or has that ratio dropped? (As stated, I would guess it dropped) What about the religious demographic of the UCAS (for example) - who are the biggest players religiously speaking, and in what proportions? Or Seattle? What are the various megacorps opinions on religion (presuming they care)?

And also, how does the existence of advanced technology (cyberware, cloning, VR - virtual churches anyone?) and AIs (and technos to a lesser extent) effect various religions?

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
There have been a number of religion based threads that have gone just fine in the past, so I'm not too worried.

Well, I know I can get very passionate on the subject, so that was kinda dual purpose - partly reminding myself to be good wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (NightmareX)
means in essence that a significant portion of the OT and NT has be reinterpeted or ignored

That's SOP.
Blade
Even if the judeochristian faith dwindles away, it doesn't mean that the strong judeochristian roots of the society will disappear as well. These have shaped our society and won't go away that easily.

Morals change over time but today the occidental philosophy is still the same as it was several hundred years ago, influenced by greek and latin philosophs and carried on by christian theologists.
Synner
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Aug 15 2007, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 15 2007, 03:16 AM)

In a "this is what's out there and how they generally deal with Awakened stuff" sense, yes. Real doctrinal changes were glossed over or not mentioned - for instance, in Christianity (and Judaism) the acceptance of magic as "ok" means in essence that a significant portion of the OT and NT has be reinterpeted or ignored, which has real ramifications as the bible is viewed as the literal or inspired Word of God. See what I mean?

This is not an entirely correct evaluation, as to both the need for profound doctrinal changes and to the biblical interpretation - at least as concerns Christianity and Judaism. Both feature a long history (and continuing acknowledgment) of mystical and pseudo-hermetic/hellenistic lore and symbology in the case of Christianity dating back to the Gnostics and the first and second century splinter Christian churches (and in the case of Judaism, Qabbalistic studies have always been there).

Just for the record, recent writing in SR books has been thoroughly researched and grounded, and any hand-waving has been the result of trying to reconcile previously existing canon on religious doctrine with a deeper perspective. I know I've been responsible for a significant chunk of them.

I agree that Fundamentalist Evangelical denominations and hardcore Catholic conservatives are going to have some serious problems coming to terms with magic (as a non-divine gift) - which is one of the reasons I singled them out in SoE, Sota64 and Street Magic.

However Roman Catholicism in general, Orthodox Christianity, many Reform Protestant denominations (Anglicans, Lutherans, etc), and the increasing number of Neo-Evangelical and Post-Evangelical denominations (which show huge growth in South America and Africa will face far fewer problems.

In fact Catholicism just has to tap the significant Church law left by several imporant and "untouchable" figures like Saint Thomas Aquinas and the neo-platonic mysticism of the early Christian philosophers and mathematicians. Reform Protestantism needs little tweaking to tap the huge resource of Renaissance Christian Qabbalism and Hermeticism (which flourished in Hungary, Austria, Southern Germany, the Hanseatic league and in what is today the Czech Republic). All the major branches of Orthodox Christianity have a long history of near-shamanic and ecstatic trappings and rituals - that have not-so-innocent parallels with Sufi practices.

Important note - one thing I see ignored all too often when people start bandying about numbers is the enormous difference between practicing believers and people who identify themselves with a particular faith (ie. those that show up in census). Christians are roughly "1/3 the planet's population" but the vast majority is non-practicing and feels no special attachment to the doctrines and edicts of their "church of choice". This important because subscribing to a faith does not necessarily give that religion any significant social or political weight in the democratic process (though it can, as attested, ironically, by the unlike trio of the US, Pakistan, and Iran).

Keep in mind that this is what really matters - not overall figures but committed believers and practicing faithful. While in Islam the figures are skewed to something like 75% practicing (church-going, doctrine-practicing) believers to 25% non-practicing Muslims, in Christianity figures are skewed the opposite way with only about 20% worldwide actually qualifying as practicing members of congregations (going to church more than twice a year, following doctrine in everyday life, etc). Admittedly numbers might be closer to 80% among Fundamentalist christians, most notably in heartland America, but those are still a very small minority worldwide (to give you some perspective according to a 2004 Georgetown study for several interfaith groups including the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue - the (growing) number of conservative Protestant Evangelicals in America (around 100 million which is relatively close to the US Census Bureau's 2007 Statistical Analysis figures) is dwarfed by UNESCO's figures for Neo-Evangelical numbers in South American - with 120 million in Brazil alone).
NightmareX
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
That's SOP.

True wink.gif But that gets a tad too close to religious debate to pursue further methinks. Now a reason for such happening in the Sixth World, on the other hand....

QUOTE (Blade)
Even if the judeochristian faith dwindles away, it doesn't mean that the strong judeochristian roots of the society will disappear as well. These have shaped our society and won't go away that easily.

Morals change over time but today the occidental philosophy is still the same as it was several hundred years ago, influenced by greek and latin philosophs and carried on by christian theologists.

Very true, but if you look at the world and society described in SR4 I find it hard to see what, if any, remaining shreds of JudeoChristian morality remains. Then again I don't find that problematic given the traumas Western society went through to get to 2070. Said morals certainly didn't go easily (and likely not completely).

QUOTE (Synner)
This is not an entirely correct evaluation, as to both the need for profound doctrinal changes and to the biblical interpretation - at least as concerns Christianity and Judaism. Both feature a long history (and continuing acknowledgment) of mystical and pseudo-hermetic/hellenistic lore and symbology in the case of Christianity dating back to the Gnostics and the first and second century splinter Christian churches (and in the case of Judaism, Qabbalistic studies have always been there).

Very true, but we must remember the fate of the Gnostic heresies. As a (fundamentalist) Christian friend and player of mine said when I had her read over the Christian Theurgy tradition from Street Magic "That isn't Christian". While her perspective is admittedly, well, flawed and lacking historical context to put it kindly, I suspect that many Christians of various denoms these days would have a similar response. Especially given the rather clear prohibitions and denunciations of things magical throughout the bible.

Of course, if they went the "double think" route that Judaism went with Qabbalism - ie "our magic is good but all other magic is bad" - I would find that totally believable.

Just for the record, recent writing in SR books has been thoroughly researched and grounded, and any hand-waving has been the result of trying to reconcile previously existing canon on religious doctrine with a deeper perspective. I know I've been responsible for a significant chunk of them.

My apologies Synner, I wasn't clear enough. It was the original (1st edition) writers I was referring to when I made the "ill informed or perhaps dismissive" comment. I think you know I feel you guys are largely doing a good job.

(btw, a note to the general public - While it may have the appearance of it, this is in fact not ass kissing. Ass kissing presupposes a desired reward and I have no such intentions in regard to Synner or anyone else that works on SR. While I once had ambitions of freelancing, the realizations that my writing is crap and that I am chronically unable to get anything done made it apparent that such ambitions were pointless. Thus, I am simply a consumer.)

the increasing number of Neo-Evangelical and Post-Evangelical denominations (which show huge growth in South America and Africa will face far fewer problems.

Hmm, I don't know much about those denoms, and thus hadn't thought about them. Thank you, something new to research there smile.gif

In fact Catholicism just has to tap the significant Church law left by several imporant and "untouchable" figures like Saint Thomas Aquinas and the neo-platonic mysticism of the early Christian philosophers and mathematicians. Reform Protestantism needs little tweaking to tap the huge resource of Renaissance Christian Qabbalism and Hermeticism (which flourished in Hungary, Austria, Southern Germany, the Hanseatic league and in what is today the Czech Republic). All the major branches of Orthodox Christianity have a long history of near-shamanic and ecstatic trappings and rituals - that have not-so-innocent parallels with Sufi practices.

But further Synner, thank you for this - very concise and informative. I think I may show it to the friend I mentioned above wink.gif

Important note - one thing I see ignored all too often when people start bandying about numbers is the enormous difference between practicing believers and people who identify themselves with a particular faith (ie. those that show up in census). Christians are roughly "1/3 the planet's population" but the vast majority is non-practicing and feels no special attachment to the doctrines and edicts of their "church of choice". This important because subscribing to a faith does not necessarily give that religion any significant social or political weight in the democratic process (though it can, as attested, ironically, by the unlike trio of the US, Pakistan, and Iran).

It's these non-practicing/non-committed individuals whom I meant when I referred to "pew fillers" (ie Christian in the same sense that Homer Simpson is). As you said, they are the majority in Christianity.
Ed_209a
I think "new-age" religions will have a massive upswing in the 6th world. The return of magic will have thousands of people saying "We were right all along! So there, Organized Religion!"

SR canon has wisely not weighed in on whether Totems are gods or more like force 100 great form spirits. They just are. Nevertheless, I think there will be lots of people worshiping totems as gods.

As for the rest, I think most people will either adapt their faith structure to the return of magic or just keep on being apathetic about their faith. Sure, some people will become radicalized by the emergence of magic, but that will always happen, no matter what the event.

For example, the D&D and Harry Potter radicals. smile.gif
nezumi
Among Christians, I think we'll have a few different responses. Churches like the Episcopal Church, which already has gay bishops and Muslim priests, should have no problem accepting magicians into the fold. Ultra-conservative churches are going to have serious problems, and there may be a few disappearances attributed to rapture. I imagine we'll see something similar to what happened with the 7th day Adventists. Someone decides the end is nigh, they all climb onto the top of a barn and wait a few days, they try again in another year, then reinvent the church embracing some new view on the end times which would factor in magic and trolls. The people who still hold true to the beliefs of the original church would go off 'into the desert' to make fundamentalist fundamentalist churches, likely enclaves, where they can practice in quiet.

Among the more mainstream churches, we'll have a few big ones, like the Roman Catholic Church, which are going to sit down and basically say 'we can stick to current canon, or we can figure out a new interpretation so the church stays alive'. Most likely it would include something along the lines of 'this new version of magic is not the same as the magic of old, it is a new dimension to current scientific laws and practices. Denying so-called 'magic' is like denying pharmaceuticals on the grounds that its potion making or light bulbs because the power that drives them is beyond our immediate view. However, this 'magic' is very powerful and has the potential to cause serious harm to any believer not properly blessed and taught in the ways of the Lord, so don't practice them without a dispensation.' Once the RCC church takes on that position, the other big Christian churches will largely follow suit (admittedly, the RCC probably won't be the first church to take that position, but it'll be one of the bigger ones).

Just like with the current RCC, there are some people who will disagree with the decision, just like there are ones who disagree with Vatican II, however in general they'll go along and just gripe about how it was when they were young, which they'll send via e-mail correspondence to bored young nephews who really don't care.
FrankTrollman
Christianity has been dwindling for quite some time. The percentage of people in the United States who identified themselves as Christian dropped from 86% in 1990 to only 77% in 2001. THis in a country where 53% of the population says that religion is "very important in their life" - a stark contrast with other developed nations (in Germany, that number is only 13%).

At the present rate of change, a majority of Americans will identify themselves as non-religious or non-Christian in 3035. Less than 15 years later, Islam would be the dominant world religion.

---

But Religion is a cultural effect more than a rational one. Pascal's Wager only makes sense if you only consider the possibilities of accepting or rejecting your culturally appropriate religion - as soon as you enter third possibilty land where you might accept the religions of other cultures the entire premise collapses. In Shadowrun's world, a significant number of people in North America decided to be "Native Americans" rather than "European Settlers". That's a choice which makes as much sense as any other (since most of those people have never been to Europe anyway).

So when people in 2050 decide to get religion they are as likely to see Bufalo Woman as they are the Virgin Mary. Added to the fact that Shadowrun posits that current trends of alienation of religious groups from mainstream society continue for the next coupleof decades and you have Christianity as a seriously minor force in civil life.

--

I'm not saying that any particular person will lose their faith. I'm saying that right now there are more people leaving churches than are joining them. Church attendance among Americans in the 25 to 29 range is less than one in four. By the time they get old enough to be dmographically looking for a church, Howling Coyote will already be making his cultural paradigm shift.

There is no reason to believe that in our world starting from 2007 that Christianity will be a defining political force in America by 2070. In Shadowrun's world there are several specific cultural events which marginalize it even more.

Sure, some people will continue to worship Jesus. People worship Zoroaster. I'm not going to stop them.

-Frank
nezumi
I think it's important to also consider also style choices when addressing this question. Shadowrun is ultimately a modern dystopic setting talking about people caught up in the trappings of modern luxuries who abuse the downtrodden in order to keep them, about a line between the haves and have-nots, about the speed of change and the cheapness of life. Simply said, the story of Christianity (and of most other religions) does not fit into that setting. The idea of all men being inherently valuable to God and saved by faith, destined for a life of eternal paradise is contrary to the reality we're given as Shadowrun. As such, for stylistic concerns alone, our current understanding of Christianity (and really, most other religions) should not be pressed home. If anything, there should be a sense of buying salvation, about a Calvanistic viewpoint that the rich have God's favor while the poor are destined for hell, and of guilt for actions that cannot be avoided, that can solely be alleviated by being part of a particular clique. Corporate Christianity would be a good theme, a church owned completely by a given corporation, like televangelists, who preach good work and buying from 'good' companies are the way to heaven.
Eleazar
It is hard to say what exactly would happen. Though Shadowrun takes place on the same earth as ours physically, it is very different than our world in every other way. Just the notion that magic could surge and become real changes things. The fact that there has been 6 stages of magic would change things. I think different faiths altogether would have formed since magic from the previous 5 stages would have a large effect on the way man views the spirit and his philosophy of the world. In my opinion, having our current world religions seems incongruent to the Shadowrun setting.

Lets forget this previous paragraph and ask what if everything was rationally sound. The judeochristian faiths would be at a crisis of faith. There is not anything in their holy books about the 6th awakening or any awakening for that matter. I would think those with faith would find it rather difficult to come to terms with this. Magic would be seen as inherently evil by all judeochristian religions because you are working in your own power and not Gods to make use of these mystical powers. Not only that, but these powers can also be used for evil, which is not something a Biblical miracle, wonder, or gift would allow. All judeochristian religions believe, with possibly the exception of Islam, that such things are workings of the Holy Spirit; He can only be good. Some might attribute this evil to satan's workings, however this is intellectually dishonest with what is known about how magic works. From a Christian perspective, Christians are not that simple-minded, St. Augustine is a great example of this. So are more contemporary thinkers like C.S. Louis and Francis Schaffer. I think some of the more liberal(NO, don't think politics) judeochristian religions would be more accepting of magic. Most however, would probably see it as sinful.

I don't think this derides the judeochristian religions in anyway. To put it simply, in the Shadowrun world there is no God. In our world, as any member of these religions would say, there is a God. Shadowrun does not allow for a god of anykind to exist to the capacity of the judeochristian relgions, because he would have to reside on a metaplane somewhere. As a member of these religions would say, a god in Shadowrun could never fully have the same glory and splendor of the one true God. Simply put, if you wanted the judeochristian god, God, to exist in Shadowrun, I think it would require direct changes to God's nature, how he interacts with his people, and a reworking of the Bible, Koran, or Tanakh.
Eleazar
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
I'm not saying that any particular person will lose their faith. I'm saying that right now there are more people leaving churches than are joining them. Church attendance among Americans in the 25 to 29 range is less than one in four. By the time they get old enough to be demographically looking for a church, Howling Coyote will already be making his cultural paradigm shift.

This is of course assuming that things continue to go this direction. The future is unpredictable. It is very possible church attendance could go up. Without knowing what is attributing the leaving of churches it becomes rather difficult to predict what the future holds. Might I remind you that church attendance has fluctuated greatly and is something that rises and falls as time passes. Remember the enlightenment period and Voltaire boasting that in 100 years time of his death the Bible would disappear. It is way past 1878 and we still have plenty of Bibles, even in France. It is still the best-selling book in America.
nezumi
I have to disagree with you, Eleazor. There is no set time for how long the end times are supposed to take. Revelations could likely be spread out over multiple generations. I believe (but would have to double check) that there's a branch of Judaism that specifically said 2012 marks the end of the world. I can see many churches and individuals saying 2012 marks the end times, and any day now Jesus will come. But gradually people will accept that Revelations (which is highly metaphorical) refers to a far, far longer period of time than originally understood.
Ted Stewart
The shamanic and hermetic traditions are not the only forms of magic in SR. 4th Ed mentions Christian theurges obliquely, and I don't see any reason there couldn't be mages basing their traditions upon Islamic beliefs or Jewish kabbalah. Most organized religions contain examples of divine intervention, and magic by the faithful could be seen in a similar light.

Hmm. Now I want to play a Kabbalist. It would just be fun.
Eleazar
QUOTE (nezumi)
I have to disagree with you, Eleazor. There is no set time for how long the end times are supposed to take. Revelations could likely be spread out over multiple generations. I believe (but would have to double check) that there's a branch of Judaism that specifically said 2012 marks the end of the world. I can see many churches and individuals saying 2012 marks the end times, and any day now Jesus will come. But gradually people will accept that Revelations (which is highly metaphorical) refers to a far, far longer period of time than originally understood.

I doubt you disagree with me because I said nothing to that effect. I also disagree with that notion you seem to presuppose I made. The only thing I said is that the Bible does not cover anything as far as the cycles of magic. I do not recall placing any timeline for revelations nor inferring anything about when the end of time was. If I did, I assure you that was not my intention.
hyzmarca
Native American religions will have the greatest growth rate in the Sixth World due to the formation on the NAN and the cultural shifts created by this event. Further, Aztlan's adoption of the Aztec religion as its official state faith has brought it into the mainstream. Neo-Paganism and Wicca would have proven to have effective magic techniques with the Awakening, and it seems that Classical Pagan religions have received a strong popularity boost amongst Europeans wanting to get back to their roots.

Every religion has its magical traditions, a fact that most people don't notice. Even the Bible has examples of non-divine magical powers, some of which were used by righteous people. When Ham accidentally saw Noah peepee (due to Noah being a drunken flasher), for example, Noah placed a magical curse on Ham's son Caanan.
Eleazar
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 15 2007, 03:14 PM)
Every religion has its magical traditions, a fact that most people don't notice. Even the Bible has examples of non-divine magical powers, some of which were used by righteous people.  When Ham accidentally saw Noah peepee (due to Noah being a drunken flasher), for example, Noah placed a magical curse on Ham's son Caanan.

This is wholly false, your example is an incorrect evaluation of the Hebrew words used. The Hebrew word used for "expose" in this passage is the very same used later in Leviticus for having sexual relations with ones mother. In fact, the Talmud goes as far as to say Ham either castrated or in agreement with the word usage in Leviticus, sodomized him. We know that some sort of sexual action was taken due to the word used, the specific is just unknown. This curse, was in no way some magical curse, the text itself nor the Hebrew word used even infer or state this. I don't know where you got that from. The reason why Ham's son was cursed and it was actually fulfilled was because Canaan was ostracized due to the curse Noah placed on him. Punishing ones offspring, for an especially depraved act, was a common punishment due to the immense shame it put onto the individual because your progeny was highly valued. Just think of Abraham and his legacy. This curse is also congruent to God's promise to Abraham that his descendants on Jacob's side were to inherit the promised land and not the descendants of Ham.

You can continue on believing what you may, but realize that thousands of years of precedence and biblical scholars do not support your statement. That, and the text is contrary to your views as well.

The only close to magical tradition stemming from Jewish belief, is Kabbalah. This is a form of Jewish gnosticism, and I would call it more mystical than magical. The only parts of the Bible that include non-divine magical powers are places like Exodus which deal with witchcraft. Pharaoh's magicians could produce some of the same wonders God did through Moses. Of course, God always did it considerably better, and there came a time where they just couldn't reproduce them at all due to their very limited power. Non-divine magic is also not the best way to say it, because it implies that there might be divine magic. As a follower might say, the judeochristian God does not need to resort to such cheap tricks. Magic in the Bible is depicted as inherently evil and is why you have seen such things as the Salem witch trials in Christianity's past. If there were such a thing as divine magic that those in God could use, it would call into question the very power of God. Because then, God's power could be used as an art, with discretion subject to only very whims of the person granted this divine magic. God works by miracles, signs, wonders, and gifts, never by magic. This is why magic to judeochristians is so counter to what they believe. Because if it isn't by God's power, then it is either by the flesh or by satan.

Just noticed you said "which were used by righteous people". A righteous person would never use magic, whether divine or non-divine. For two reasons, there is no such thing as divine magic, and non-divine magic is satan's domain. Magic is synonymous to witchcraft in the judeochristian religions. I realize that some might say, "In the Bible God does wonders that one would consider magic by definition.". God works by is own power which is supernatural by nature. Supernatural power does not always mean magical. God's supernatural power does not use trickery, the sleight of hand, illusion, or any sort of manipulation of energy(mana) to work. He just wills it and it happens. As I stated previously, these are miracles, signs, wonders, and gifts. And no, these are not just some repackaged forms of magic under a different name. No one in the judeochristian religion believes this way. Except maybe for people that reject wholly parts of the Bible.

Sorry to make this so long, I just wanted to get past all of the misconceptions that this could bring up about what judeochristians believe. They may not believe exactly as I have said, but they certainly agree on the singular point, magic is inherently evil.
Spike
And Satan appears how many times in the Bible? Particularly the OT?

Leviticus has some pretty specific injunctions. Nothing about magic by itself that I recall, against diviners, poisoners and those who truck with spirits.

In theory then, magic is perfectly acceptable, as long as you avoid divination and conjuration, and you don't use poison based combat magic.

Its just not from God necessarily (though: Moses was punished for doing magic without God's approval, if you want to read it a certain way. God gave Moses magic, and as long as Moses used it for good, all was well, when he did it for personal gain (rather than trusting in God) he was punished... Reading it that way would suggest that God grants Magic, it is then up to man (free will and all that) to use it in a godly fashion).

If the power were from God directly, then how could Moses have misused it?

Though I find the assertion that God would be 'forced' to reside somewhere in the metaplanes a laughable one. One would assume that any belief structure that included a singular, all powerful, creator deity would put said deity in charge of creation of the astral as well as the physical, and thus outside of both.

Technically a God inside the Astral would be more akin to a Gnostic Demiurge... which makes for an interesting discussion on the nature of the Astral...
hyzmarca
The Jewish concept of Satan and the Christian concept of Satan are completely different. While Christian theology presents Satan as an evil antagonistic figure, Jewish theology presents him as being more like a District Attorney.

While Christian theology equates the serpent in the Garden of Eden to be Satan, Jewish theologies treat it as nothing more or less than a normal snake. One can presume that there is nothing odd about the ability of Adam and Eve to communicate with non-human animals.

Hell and the devil are pretty much Christian concepts.

The interpretation of the Curse of Ham having magical aspects is not my own. It was, in fact, once a very common interpretation amongst Western churches, along with the belief that the magical component of the curse made Canaan's skin black *cough cough*. Yeah, it was basically a flimsy justification for slavery. But, so is the original text. The entire point of the curse was to justify the enslavement of the Canaanites.
Jaid
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The entire point of the curse was to justify the enslavement of the Canaanites.

right... the israelites (or moses, or whoever you wish to attribute that passage of scripture) made up a curse on the canaanites to justify everyone else enslaving them... makes perfect sense.

also, while their concept of hell may be different, it is my understanding that they do, in fact, have some concept of hell. though my understanding is admittedly incomplete on that matter...
Penta
One thing people are missing:

Speaking strictly from the Catholic PoV, the Church doesn't think the Bible is inerrant (look at the Johannine Comma for a great example). Nor is one supposed to take it all literally.

No, it is divinely inspired. As in, basically, human hands putting down God's words, though not how He might have said it (God would have used better grammar in some cases, for one thing!). And we know that the Bible is riddled with transcription errors, translation weirdness, etc.

Believe it or not...For Roman Catholics (and the Eastern Churches, both Eastern Catholic and Eastern Orthodox), at least...Magic would not change much. (Protestants who believe in sola scriptura are perhaps stuck, if they take the Bible as inerrant) Because the teachings of the Church are based on Scripture and Tradition. This matters, because:

1) What "magic" meant in two thousand years of tradition, and what it means when there are actually people chucking fireballs, may not be the same thing, even to theologians. Much of what was called magic could also be called, simply put, confidence schemes, medical quakery, or the like.

2) Look at some of the acts attributed to the Saints and to others in Christian tradition. Some of that sounds a lot like magic in Shadowrun terms.

3) Tradition has *always* adapted to take into account newly-gained knowledge. It was a Belgian Jesuit priest, Georges Lemaitre, who was one of the first people to propose the Big Bang theory, for example. And in regards to evolution...For once, Wikipedia explains it well enough. Evolution is Not Evil. Evolution is Good. Evolution is much, much more than a mere hypothesis.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Jaid @ Aug 15 2007, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Aug 15 2007, 06:03 PM)
The entire point of the curse was to justify the enslavement of the Canaanites.

right... the israelites (or moses, or whoever you wish to attribute that passage of scripture) made up a curse on the canaanites to justify everyone else enslaving them... makes perfect sense.

No, the Isrealites made up a curse on the Canaanites to justify the Israelites enslaving the Canaanites. And they did just that.

Of course, the Canaanites weren't black. The whole Canaanites being black idea comes much later when the enslavement of Sub-Saharan Africans become popular.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Christopher Hitchens)
Just to give a contemporary example, one of the current candidates for the Republican nomination is a member of a church, the so-called Mormon Church of Latter Day Saints, that, until 1965, had it as an article of faith that the Bible separates the sons of Ham, and makes them lesser.

We aren't even talking about ancient history here. There are people alive today who remember when some of these sects retracted that particular viewpoint. Hell, there are sects today which have not retracted those teachings (some, like th so-called "Volk Churches" embrace it).

-Frank
Jaid
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Aug 15 2007, 09:18 PM)
Just to give a contemporary example, one of the current candidates for the Republican nomination is a member of a church, the so-called Mormon Church of Latter Day Saints, that, until 1965, had it as an article of faith that the Bible separates the sons of Ham, and makes them lesser.

We aren't even talking about ancient history here. There are people alive today who remember when some of these sects retracted that particular viewpoint. Hell, there are sects today which have not retracted those teachings (some, like th so-called "Volk Churches" embrace it).

-Frank

i would have to question his research, given he hasn't even got the name of the church in question correct, and i'm pretty sure the change he's referring to was not in 1965 at all, but i suppose that's neither here nor there.

[edit] this next part actually is in response to hyzmarca more than it is to Frank [/edit]

and iirc, i'm pretty sure the bible indicates that the canaanites were wicked at the time the israelites invaded, (in other words, they were not just being punished for what Ham did) and that they were *supposed* to kill them all and/or drive them out of the land rather than enslaving them... which would seem to indicate that it wasn't used as justification to enslave them at all.

though i suppose your case remains if you were to replace "enslave" with "kill", so it's not a particularly relevant point.

still, it's generally speaking better to be accurate, i suppose.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Jaid)

-Frank

i would have to question his research, given he hasn't even got the name of the church in question correct, and i'm pretty sure the change he's referring to was not in 1965 at all, but i suppose that's neither here nor there.

Yes. The LDS church did not allow Blacks as priests until 1978, Spencer Kimball coincidentally receiving a revelation from God that it was time to treat black people as equals while they were in the midst of losing a discrimination suit in US Court and under threat of losing their tax exempt status.

Here's a fine transcript:

QUOTE (Gordon Hinckley Interview)
RB: Now up until 1978 I understand Blacks were not allowed to be priests in your Church?

GBH: That is correct. Although we have Black members of the Church. They felt that they would gain more in this Church than any other with which they were acquainted and they were members of the Church. In 1978 we (the president of the Church) received a revelation under which all worthy men would receive all the blessings of the Church available to them as well as to any others. So across the world now we are teaching the Gospel to Blacks, Whites, everyone else who will listen.

RB: So in retrospect was the Church wrong in that?

GBH: No I don’t think it was wrong. It things, various things happened in different periods. There’s a reason for them.

RB: What was the reason for that?

GBH: I don’t know what the reason was. But I know that we’ve rectified whatever may have appeared to be wrong at that time.

So yeah, the Mormons are on record as saying that blacks are inferior and should be treated differently as recently as 1978. They also are on record as saying as recently as 1997 that they were not wrong to do so.

So if people come up and start talking about racist tirades made by religious establishments about "Sons of Ham" and shit - that's not atheist jibber jabber. That's not a smoke screen. That's not a tragic misunderstanding of the faiths of other people. That's a very real, very recent, very relevent problem whose ramifications continue to haunt people of all nominally Christian denominations. There are people alive today who were brought up being taught by the highest of the LDS elders that black people were cursed and separated by god and that they should not be afforded the duties and priviledges of white men.

This isn't ancient history. This is recent history. Memory. Now.

-Frank
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Jaid @ Aug 15 2007, 10:17 PM)

-Frank

[edit] this next part actually is in response to hyzmarca more than it is to Frank [/edit]

and iirc, i'm pretty sure the bible indicates that the canaanites were wicked at the time the israelites invaded, (in other words, they were not just being punished for what Ham did) and that they were *supposed* to kill them all and/or drive them out of the land rather than enslaving them... which would seem to indicate that it wasn't used as justification to enslave them at all.

though i suppose your case remains if you were to replace "enslave" with "kill", so it's not a particularly relevant point.

still, it's generally speaking better to be accurate, i suppose.

To be accurate, they killed and they enslaved. They didn't actually kill everyone, despite divine orders.

The Bible doesn't indicate that they were wicked so much as that they might leads the Isrealites into worship of other gods, such as Baal and Asherah, which violates Commandment #1. Of course, the Canaanites weren't bount by the Commandments so their worship of other Semitic deities couldn't be considered wicked. It was simply the possibility that the Canaanites might teach the Isrealites about these other gods that YHWH was trying to avoid. Of course, that didn't work out too well. The worship of the fertility goddess Asherah as YHWH's wife wasn't uncommon at certain times during Jewish history and is explicitly mentioned in the Bible.

The quote from Christopher Hitchens seems to be inaccurate, going to far as to get the dates wrong. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints did not permit black people to hold Priesthood until 1978 (though it did permit them to do so in the early years under Joseph Smith, the prohibition came from Brigham Young) by stating that God lifted the part of the curse that made it impossible for them to hold Priesthood. He did not, however, lift the part of the curse that makes them black. When he does it'll be quite obvious.

Current fundamentalist Later Day Saint splinter churches do still deny the Priesthood to blacks, of course.
Penta
Observers should note that while the LDS proclaims themselves to be Christian, most other Christiams are....unsure at best as to the veracity of that statement.

...Just in case people take that whole curse upon black people thing as legit Christian doctrine, I feel compelled to stand up for the vast, vast majority of Christians.
Solomon Greene
We're drifting.

It's hard to discuss the effect on religion as a whole because religion itself is so divisive. You have your monolithic religions, like Christianity and Buddhism and Islam, but the actual truth is that all of these large religious bodies are made up of constituent sects. Some parts of the faith will have leadership bodies: the Pope, the Southern Baptist Convention, et cetera, but they're still composed of smaller and smaller groups.

We can make sweeping generalizations but there will always be the multiple exceptions that can be brought up. I think the statements made in magical sourcebooks about the effect of the Awakening (the infamous Opus Dei, Aden burning Tehran) do a good job of giving a "big picture" which is really all you can do.

Right now, Christianity is changing to a form that more easily fits into a modern life. Larger churches, friendlier sermons, better entertainment all fit into the new facade of worship. These changes, which would have been lambasted years before (and, to some extent, are being heavily criticized now) are seen as a natural evolution of bringing faith to the faithless and comforting believers.

There will always be those who refuse to adapt - that's why we have Fundamentalists.

The religions that continue to grow in our little fictional world will be the ones that successfully adapt to the modern life of potential practitioners. Religion is also a function of geography and as long as certain areas are strong with certain faiths, those faiths will continue as long as the birth rate remains standard.

People are drawn to religion by uncertainty and hardship - they relent when things are going well. I think the Sixth world will have seen a great many spikes in church-going, followed by lengthy periods of drought, then sudden spikes as the world goes crazy.

Religion will remain a significant factor in human/metahuman relations far into the future because the base question that is answered by humanity still hasn't been answered by magic - What happens to me when I die?

Until there's a definitive, cut-and-dry, proof positive, iron-clad answer to that, religion will flourish.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Penta @ Aug 15 2007, 11:05 PM)
Observers should note that while the LDS proclaims themselves to be Christian, most other Christiams are....unsure at best as to the veracity of that statement.

...Just in case people take that whole curse upon black people thing as legit Christian doctrine, I feel compelled to stand up for the vast, vast majority of Christians.

The Latter Day Saints are Christians and to claim otherwise is bigoted.
They believe that Jesus Christ is the Savior and the Begotten Son of God (YHWH). There are no other requirements to being a Christian.
The Book of Mormon is no less valid a Christian text as any book of the New Testament is.

To say that the Curse of Ham is currently a doctrine held by many Christian churches would be incorrect. It is a rare doctrine. The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints doesn't even teach it anymore, though they were the last holdouts among the major churches. But it was a widely taught doctrine amongst many Christian churches in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. And there are still a few holdouts amongst smaller churches.

Edit:
Back on topic:
Faiths that allow polygamy will probably be much more popular in the Sixth World due to the position of marriage is a social contract that can be made between any number or combination of peoples.

Neo-Paganism, Wicca, New Age, and other Polygyny-tolerant faiths will probably get a boost from all of the women who want multiple husbands. And, of course, from the Homosexuality tolerant and bestially tolerant faiths will get huge boosts, too.

Glyph
The Mormons got those beliefs from the Book of Mormon, not the Bible. The Mormons are the only ones who use the Book of Mormon - it is not even an apocryphal book in other churches. It is only an "equally valid" religious text to Mormons.

That's not to say that there weren't also Christian churches in the South who prooftexted like crazy to justify slavery. But unfortunately, you can use the Bible to justify nearly anything if you use its verses out of their proper context.

I think SR-style magic would cause a big paradigm shift in every religion, not to mention most scientific and philisophical fields. But SR magic is NOT anything like what is considered "real" magic today. It is less like people becoming "witches", and more like them gaining superpowers.

I've made this point before, but what I have a problem with is how easily they seem to have had any religion with "magic" in it accept the awakening, even if SR magic is nothing like their version of it. I would like to see, just once, something like a Wiccan hermetic mage who makes a distinction between his fireball-casting magic and his religion's "magic". Of course, magic being usually fueled by a belief system, and manifesting accordingly, would muddy the waters a lot.

Mainstream Christians would probably tend towards a hermetic model, and consider magic a gift which is the equivalent of artistic or athletic ability - something that should be used properly, but is still capable of being misused.

The problem that Christians have with the use of "magic" is that it generally involves what they see as making deals with evil powers - if someone simply gained unusual powers, that wouldn't really be bad. Totems would be mistrusted, of course, unless they manifested in Christian forms, and as "guiding spirits" rather than objects of worship.

I agree that the fundies would have a harder time dealing with it, and would lose some ground (with the ones left being the most dangerously fanatical of them), and I also agree that new age and charismatic churches would be in an upswing, with new heresies and cults arising (heck, that's happening all the time now).

Honestly, I think Christianity would suffer more from the affects of the megacorporations and their toxic culture, than they would from the return of magic.
Jaid
QUOTE (Glyph)
The Mormons got those beliefs from the Book of Mormon, not the Bible. The Mormons are the only ones who use the Book of Mormon - it is not even an apocryphal book in other churches. It is only an "equally valid" religious text to Mormons

actually, the book of mormon pretty much has nothing whatever to say about the canaanites. quite possibly this is because the canaanites were in the middle east area, whereas the book of mormon starts in the middle east (specifically jerusalem) immediately goes into the wilderness and deals with only one family and doesn't ever really mention anyone else along the way, and then heads across the ocean to the americas.... which, coincidentally, is somewhat separated from the middle east.

so, inasmuch as the LDS church got anything pertaining to the canaanites (and their descendants) it would have to come from the Bible.

incidentally, it could be argued that the justification for enslaving the canaanites (by the ancient israelites) is that those canaanites (supposedly; i have my doubts here) tricked the israelites into enslaving them rather than killing them all. although i for one have to say that particular story seems a little far-fetched (oh yeah, they practically *begged* to be our slaves, honest!)

that being said, as far as the majority of christianity is concerned, i would say that largely the only people who pay much attention to what luther said would be those who go out of their way to study it... i would not be surprised at all to hear two 'lutheran' sermons where opposing things are taught, simply because joe average doesn't much care what luther thought about God so much as he cares about going to church (if that) listening while the preacher goes on for an hour, and then going home and promptly ignoring the majority of what he's been listening to. i'm pretty sure the priest, provided there is no governing body keeping an eye on things, could say just about anything he wants and the congregation would probably just accept it as long as it doesn't directly contradict something *extremely* basic. oh sure, he'd lose a few people who take the time to study things in-depth, but the majority of the congregation either wouldn't know better, or wouldn't particularly care enough to go the extra 5 minutes to the next-closest chapel (just let the minister make a comment about the inappropriate clothing mrs. average is wearing, on the other hand...)

i can't vouch for any of the other "major" religions out there, but i do know that at least in new testament times (going back to the bible) there were groups within judaism who completely disagreed with each other on some fairly major aspects of the faith, and i wouldn't be surprised if that continues to some extent today (for example, i understand some rabbis feel that driving to church on the sabbath is fine, while others consider that to be work and feel that it is a sin).
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Glyph @ Aug 15 2007, 11:25 PM)
The Mormons got those beliefs from the Book of Mormon, not the Bible.  The Mormons are the only ones who use the Book of Mormon - it is not even an apocryphal book in other churches.  It is only an "equally valid" religious text to Mormons.

The New Testament is a collection of books full of shit that some guys made up. The book of Mormon is a book full of some shit that a guy made up. Dianetics is a book full of shit that some guy made up.
They're all equally valid religious texts.
The odd one out here is Dianetics because the other two books are full of shit some guys made up about Jesus Christ being out Lord and Savior.

Divine inspiration cannot be bestowed by consensus. It either is divinely inspired or it isn't and no amount of human scrutiny can determine one way or another which is the case.

And this is why all earnest religious texts are equally valid. There is no way to prove that they aren't. It is why all religions are equally valid and everyone has a right to the religious faith that they choose and it is why no one should look down on any faith. One can argue about the correctness of any scripture or doctrine within that faith's internal belief system, of course, but one can't look upon another faith as invalid simply because its internal belief system differs from that of the majority.

I do agree that social trends will have more impact on religious faith than the return of magic does. I will, however, disagree that the megacorporate atmosphere is necessarily toxic to faith. In fact, many for-profit corporations are run by people of faith. Others still are based entirely around faith. In fact, the Aztechnology corporation is a good example of how a megacorp can improve and promote faith. Without Aztechnology's support of the Aztec Church, it would not have experienced the resurgence that it has. Aztechnology'a encouragement of its employees to take up the Aztech faith combined with its support of the Aztec state of Aztlan both ensure a bright future for the Aztec Church and paves the way for a resurgence of other human sacrifice based religions.
Solomon Greene
Christianity has strong, dogmatic stances on sorcery, both in the Old and the New Testament.

Specifically, there's a run-in with a Sorcerer, in the book of Acts. Here:

QUOTE (Acts @ Chapter cool.gif

9: But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:
10: To whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, This man is the great power of God.
11: And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.
12: But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
13: Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
14: Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17: Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
18: And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19: Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
20: But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21: Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
22: Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
23: For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.
24: Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.

In a Christian viewpoint, there is a black-and white view of the world and the Powers attendant in it. There is a Big Good Guy and a Big Bad Guy and everything that transpires reflects back to them. Paul speaks of this in his letter to the Ephesians:

QUOTE (Ephesians chapter 6)

11: Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12: For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Time after time, the bible, in each half, makes repeated, constant reference to a spiritual war with only two sides. Angelic beings are mentioned - Paul even says they are girded for war, walking in heaven with "strange weapons". One could argue that angels would be good totemic avatars except for the repeated warnings not to worship them. One of the most dangerous sins in Christianity is worshiping another being besides god himself.

The problem, as I mentioned earlier, is that all of this could mean one thing - or the verses I've quoted can be used to mean something entirely different, if the context is chosen carefully enough. It's really a case of pick and choose - the bible can say whatever you want it to say in this matter, really.
mfb
QUOTE (Solomon Greene)
There is a Big Good Guy and a Big Bad Guy and everything that transpires reflects back to them.

that's not the only conclusion one can draw. there's one good guy, but there's a multiplicity of bad guys. Baal, for instance, was a thorn in the Israelites' side throughout their history, and there's nothing i know of in the text that links Baal to Satan. for that matter, Satan only gets a few sparse mentions, and is rarely if ever actually made out to be some kind of big bad guy. i mean, heck, reread Eph 6:12--he talks about the bad guys as being plural, right there.
PlatonicPimp
Eh. For Biological reasons, polyandry has never really been popular or stable. Only one guy is the father. Polygyny seems to work out better because the they all can be mothers.

OK, I'll toss this one in the pot. Before I get started, I'd like to make a disclaimer: this is my interpretation for a work of fiction. If I misinterpret your religion, it is because it is foreign to me. This is not meant as a slander.

Someone else on this board and I once came up with a theory that the judeo-christian organized curches were under the sway of three very powerful shedim. They gained Karma by convincing their followers to fight holy wars. Every follower who died gave his Karma up to the spirit, and thus these three were able to gain enough spirit energy to survive the downcycle, albiet in weakened forms.

Now there is true faith, faith from the divine. But it comes to individuals, and those who feel it most strongly become prophets. Prophets were the enemies of these three, because they brought the true message of faith. The shedim spirits had a way of dealing with this. They'd try to subvert the prophet. If that failed, they'd write the teachings into the faith in a way that still allowed for the holy wars that fed the spirits. if that could not be done, why, they'd simply wait for the prophet to die, perhaps speed it along a bt, and maybe possess the corpse. Then they have him "rise from the dead" and change their teachings, to again call for holy war. Inevitably the revolutionary call of the prophets would become the ingrained teachings of a stifling church. Or churches, as it turns out, because after they defeated all the non-beleivers in their lands, they split their own followers up into different churches and doctrines, each linked to a different spirit, which they then pitted against each other for more of that sweet dead follower Karma.

This is my interpretation for the shadowrun setting.
fistandantilus4.0
I'm going to step in here real quick for something.

The New Testament is a collection of books full of shit that some guys made up. The book of Mormon is a book full of some shit that a guy made up. Dianetics is a book full of shit that some guy made up.

Not trying to single out hyzmarca, just using this as an example. Remember that these are people's beliefs that in many cases guide how they live their lives. I understand the point that you're making. Others might not. Please keep this in mind and try not to take it lightly when discussing the guiding principles in some people's lives.
mfb
yeah! that's an unfair comparison, my shit's never killed anyone for their faith.
fistandantilus4.0
Have faith, and maybe some day ....
PlatonicPimp
Really? I'd be more impressed if it had the chance to do so, and abstained, rather than having not killed merely for lack of opportunity.
Cthulhudreams
Wouldn;t the fact that you can call something that actually looks like an angel down to the otherworldly appearance and everything actually give a weird spin to SR faith.

i can imagine some damn freaky possession action going in eccastic celebrations where as far as they are concerned they did actually just get possessed by the lord and spoke in tongues etc.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Solomon Greene)
There is a Big Good Guy and a Big Bad Guy and everything that transpires reflects back to them.

that's not the only conclusion one can draw. there's one good guy, but there's a multiplicity of bad guys. Baal, for instance, was a thorn in the Israelites' side throughout their history, and there's nothing i know of in the text that links Baal to Satan. for that matter, Satan only gets a few sparse mentions, and is rarely if ever actually made out to be some kind of big bad guy. i mean, heck, reread Eph 6:12--he talks about the bad guys as being plural, right there.

Don't forget Exodus 12:12, in which YHWH in solitary glory fights and triumphs against all the gods of Egypt. Seriously, the Old Testament has a lot of gods in it. The first commandment is that you should not worship any of the other ones higher than YHWH, not that they don't exist.

-Frank
fistandantilus4.0
Mammon comes up a few times as well. IIRC my bible studies correctly, mammon is hebrew for greed. IOW, it isn't meant literally as a being. At least, that's what some of the teachings I've had said.

But AFAIK, Frank's correct on the old testament. It's something I've seen pointed out a lot.
mfb
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Don't forget Exodus 12:12, in which YHWH in solitary glory fights and triumphs against all the gods of Egypt. Seriously, the Old Testament has a lot of gods in it. The first commandment is that you should not worship any of the other ones higher than YHWH, not that they don't exist.

definitely. the Bible's full of examples of supernatural power that isn't from God. everything from Pharaoh's court magicians to the Witch of Endor to Simon the Sorcerer. hell, even the prophets of Baal that Elijah did his showdown with expected their god to light fire to their offering.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I'm going to step in here real quick for something.

Not trying to single out hyzmarca, just using this as an example. Remember that these are people's beliefs that in many cases guide how they live their lives. I understand the point that you're making. Others might not. Please keep this in mind and try not to take it lightly when discussing the guiding principles in some people's lives.

Yes, that's why I clarified with the point that the uncertainty of divine revelation is not a reason for intolerance, but instead a reason against it. There is no logical way for anyone to be sure about what is true and what is not. It is all a matter of personal feeling. And if you feel that one text is divinely inspired and another not, then there is nothing wrong with that. Your feelings and beliefs just might be true. But the feelings and beliefs of people who have different faiths are also equally likely to be true.

And there is the rub. Before you look at a religious text and just dismiss it as nothing more than shit that someone made up, you should also look at your own religious text and remember that it is also shit that somebody made up and you should think about how you would feel about someone who just dismissed your religious text as such. Divine revelation and divine inspiration cannot be proved, but they also cannot be disproved. It is far better to look at new things with an open mind and an open heart than it is to be closed to the possibilities. And it is far better to accept that just maybe people of faith know what is best for themselves even if you don't share that faith.

I don't mean to metaphorically poop on anyone faith. It is just that I don't appreciate it when people forget about the old glass houses and stones proverb. People who live in the former shouldn't throw the latter. And if people of faith, and I'm including Atheist in this one don't understand that they are living in glass houses, then they do need to be enlightened.

And this goes for Atheists, too. In spite of what many think, it takes an extraordinary amount of faith to believe in nothing. Atheistic faith is no more or less valid than theistic faith, a fact which many Atheists, unfortunately, fail to understand.

Now, one interesting thing about the secularization of society is that people still tend to identify themselves with the religion of their parents even if their parents never once took them to church. There is basically a whole generation of people who place check marks in all the right places on government forms, but who otherwise have never once practiced the religion that they have ascribed to.
And this probably still goes on the in Sixth World, but they'd have more religions to choose from.
And, of course, there will be guys who suddenly decide to change their religion to something exotic, such as Olympianism, but still do nothing other than checking a different box on forms.
Eleazar
QUOTE (Spike @ Aug 15 2007, 05:08 PM)
And Satan appears how many times in the Bible? Particularly the OT?

Leviticus has some pretty specific injunctions. Nothing about magic by itself that I recall, against diviners, poisoners and those who truck with spirits. 

In theory then, magic is perfectly acceptable, as long as you avoid divination and conjuration, and you don't use poison based combat magic.

Its just not from God necessarily (though: Moses was punished for doing magic without God's approval, if you want to read it a certain way.  God gave Moses magic, and as long as Moses used it for good, all was well, when he did it for personal gain (rather than trusting in God) he was punished... Reading it that way would suggest that God grants Magic, it is then up to man (free will and all that) to use it in a godly fashion).

If the power were from God directly, then how could Moses have misused it?

Though I find the assertion that God would be 'forced' to reside somewhere in the metaplanes a laughable one. One would assume that any belief structure that included a singular, all powerful, creator deity would put said deity in charge of creation of the astral as well as the physical, and thus outside of both.

Technically a God inside the Astral would be more akin to a Gnostic Demiurge... which makes for an interesting discussion on the nature of the Astral...

First of all, ask any Jew, even a Reformed Jew if he believes Moses used magic, and you will get a flat out no. You just really don't know what you seem to be talking about on this one. I would really like to know what verses of the Tanakh you are referencing here or what explanation from the Talmud you are using to interpret Moses using magic. This is so far from God's nature and how he works. He doesn't just grant people powers that they can use at their whim and will. He grants His power on a case by case basis according to His will only. Supernatural power does not mean magic. Please show me where in the Bible it says God advocates the use of magic, and he has his people use magic. Then I will believe you. You won't find any verse that says this. In fact, you will find the exact opposite to be true. That the Bible is very harsh against magic, because it is a sin against God. It is doing things in your own power, and even called rebellion against God. If you want me to dig up the Bible verses I will, but I think this should be enough.

The reason I said God would be forced into the metaplanes is because he would not be a real entity in Shadowrun. There is no God in Shadowrun that exists as we know him. If that was the case, anyone under God would be completely unaffected my magic or any other kind of witchcraft. There would be no need counterspelling for true Christians. God truly existing in Shadowrun as Christian's believe would be game brreaking. That is why he would resided on a metaplane and be some metaphysical entity. He would have a very different nature than the God the Christians of our world know.

Hyzmarca:
Your presuppositions about religion make any sort of objective debate completely destitute. For one, all religions can not be true. That would create a paradox. Thus, not all of them can be equally valid. If they are all "full of ****" then that would make them all invalid. Your logic doesn't seem to follow. One religion, if a true religion does in fact exist, would have to be correct. That religion could be found if one was actually seeking that true religion out. If you never seek however, how can you ever know? You seem more predisposed of insulting other people's religions than being reasonable and objective. If I were to use your same logic I could say that the grass in front of my yard is green. However my neighbor thinks it is blue. My other neighbor thinks it is hot pink. Under your logic, we could actually all be right.

Solomon Greene: I would not refer to Fundamentalists as refusing to adapt. Fundamentalists rather refuse to change their beliefs just because new beliefs or philosophy's arise. Many of these movement's that have "adapted", as you would say, have brought in philosophies that are contrary to the religions they claim to believe. If you can't be genuine and honest with your religion, why even have it? Truth manipulated for man's convenience, or what appears to be good at the time, results in falsity. If what was truth previously is no longer truth, then that truth is not absolute. If not absolute, then it is relative. If relative, then it becomes meaningless. Because as hyzmarca said, all religions would then be equally valid. Though they would consist of some man's ****.
Solomon Greene
Re: multiple gods in the Bible

Point of View: Modern theology.

The Good Guy/Bad Guy thing is a simplification of a truth inherent in scripture, i.e. spiritual warfare. There are many gods mentioned in one point of view - that's very correct.

However, common theology lumps all of the gods as either facets of Lucifer himself or demons under the direct command of Lucifer, agents of Hell. For most Christians, Baal, Maamon, Beelzebub, The Seven Headed Dragon, Legion and any other host of potential deities are seen as personages of or subservient to the One Big Bad Guy.

Peter calls Satan a "Roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour" and most christians are happy limiting their theology to one bad thing they're fighting against.

As I said in my post - there's so many divergent lines of thought, we're never going to truly reach a consensus. There are entire libraries devoted to this train of thought with books dating back hundreds of years. However, I think it still stands that a large part of modern christianity follows the belief of the OBGG/OBBG. It's shallow theology, but it's easy theology, making it popular.
Solomon Greene
QUOTE (Eleazar)
Solomon Greene: I would not refer to Fundamentalists as refusing to adapt. Fundamentalists rather refuse to change their beliefs just because new beliefs or philosophy's arise.

Begging pardon, but that's refusing to adapt. Holding fast to what has come before and being unwilling to sully it with new ideas is a cornerstone of Fundamentalism and I can't think of any other way to put it.

You're specifically refusing to change - how is that not refusing to adapt?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012